Support tells me to factory reset first thing, reading a script is bad, kids!!!!

1. G_Josh_Studrawa_UCcM
    Froyo Feb 27, 2017

G_Josh_Studrawa_UCcM , Feb 27, 2017 :
    Are you serious?

So the answer to how to install the 4.0.3 update is.... factory reset.

it's not "OnePlus for some reason forgot how to do automatic OTA updates". Or "uncheck the box there, and it'll work, sorry about that!!!".

it's Factory Reset. Wipe your phone. Oh, btw... back it up first! But you can't cuz... settings go bye bye.

So, all the family members and friends I've convinced to buy this fantastic device for a great price... they have to go thru all of this?

Looks like we recommend a different phone brand next time.

Technical Support staff shouldn't be bots. Human or otherwise.

Vedant620 and Txmj122 like this.
  2. clayginn
    KitKat Feb 27, 2017

clayginn , Feb 27, 2017 :
    Actually should have done it before you called. Command sense says that should be the first thing someone should try before calling or complaining on here also

3. Deactivated User
    Feb 27, 2017

4. din100
    Gingerbread Feb 27, 2017

din100 , Feb 27, 2017 :
    U pay less so they are going to outsourced it to the cheapest bidders. So ur not going to get a smart people for less money do u ?

5. Wahoux
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2017

6. darius1988
    KitKat Feb 27, 2017

darius1988 , Feb 27, 2017 :
    What is your problem , you wanna update to 4.0.3 ? you receive 4.0.3 oficial? I don't understand what are you looking for, be more detailled please!

vintagetech likes this.
  7. Android450
    Marshmallow Feb 27, 2017

Android450 , Feb 27, 2017 :
    If you're updating to 4.0.3 from 3.2.8 then yes they told you the right thing to do, and if you don't know how to update via OTA then you need more help than support will ever be able to give you

8. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 27, 2017

malidan , Feb 27, 2017 :
    It seems the same applies to the phone too, that is what started these chain of events

9. Damian_Larkin
    Honeycomb Feb 27, 2017

Damian_Larkin , Feb 27, 2017 :
    Firstly, you can update to 4.0.3 OTA perfectly fine. However it is just good practise to perform a factory reset on ANY Android device after a full Android release update.

10. jim262
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 27, 2017

jim262 , Feb 27, 2017 :
    A clean install guarantees best performance. Simply back up your data and reinstall it after install of new OS. It is not rocket science.

ghostofcain and cmitchellshaw like this.
  11. G_Tamilselvan_R_sYzU
    Honeycomb Feb 28, 2017

G_Tamilselvan_R_sYzU , Feb 28, 2017 :
    yes u r recommended to do a factory reset when u update from.3.x.x to 4.x.x because the file system changes from 3 to 4 version..anddoing this reset will avoid performance and battery issues..

12. Ieiijnkdmsk
    Froyo Feb 28, 2017

Ieiijnkdmsk , Feb 28, 2017 :
    Factory resetting ur phone will make it work smooth for initial period but after some days software will again get buggy.

13. vintagetech
    Honeycomb Feb 28, 2017

vintagetech , Feb 28, 2017 :
    I'm not really sure where your question is... Is your intention to make a statement about your impression of the OnePlus support staff or ask this forum for how install the 4.0.3 update?

By the way, there has been many threads with multiple replies telling people how to install updates on OnePlus phones. The search key can be it friend. You can also read the support page of OnePlus which gives you good clear instructions (IMHO).

14. G_Josh_Studrawa_UCcM
    Froyo Feb 28, 2017

G_Josh_Studrawa_UCcM , Feb 28, 2017 :
    Firstly, understand that there are many people using smartphones than the tech savvy users who post here.

The fact you fail to comprehend that there are infact other people in this world than yourselves says a lot. Let's hope your parents never age and need help with anything, you're going to fail them. Then again, they deserve it, they raised you to be like this afterall :)

Second, the OTA update from Nougat the other month to 4.0.3 recently was bugging out and crashing my phone. There should be no issues in performing an OTA update on a device this new. Again, what would less tech savvy users do? I was able to do mine, but I called support to find out if there was another way to perform it that would work much more easily.

The Support Personnel told me to factory reset, which would have resulted in complications galore for my aunt and others I talked into buying this phone.

Lastly, I do hope making a loud obnoxious post will help clue OnePlus in to the improving their update delivery/install. It's ridiculous to factory reset anything in this day and age, but I understand the true techies still min/max their installs/updates, etc.

Think about other users of the device, not just the forum posters who tend to represent a tech savvy demographic.