Surgical precision required to capture a non-blurry photo?

1. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 3, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 3, 2017 :
    This is almost the same as "have you've tried turning it on and off again?"...
    Which sometimes would solve some issues, but of course it wouldn't make the camera suddenly better. Haha

2. paresh rox
    Froyo May 3, 2017

paresh rox , May 3, 2017 :
    compare it specs wise it's long since it's launch.....it's the magic of image processing in the camera that matters the most......well for an example you can say an midrange DSLR have 13 mp camera but take better photos than a phone .....it's just the image processing that matters ..I am not arguing saying that the camera on OnePlus sucks it's the image processing that sucks to core and needs a lot off improvement

3. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 3, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 3, 2017 :
    Well you obviously don't know much about cameras. But it's good that you realise that megapixels are not the decisive parameter of the camera's quality. It's a stupidly common misconception.

But there are some specifications that can be taken into consideration in order to find out the better camera. But there's rarely any mention about the quality of the lenses used, and the sensors precision.

Nakele and Batfink32 like this.
  4. ReTardis
    Froyo May 3, 2017

ReTardis , May 3, 2017 :
    You should try clear automode (HQ and HDRa OFF) + turn on saving in RAW with moving objects. There will be no postprocessing in jpeg, just pure sensor's result. Sure there will be more noise, but moving objects are much better. You'll must delete .dng files after, if you don't need them, but it's still better, then such a bad postprocessing
    Don't use this scheme for statics, thought, HQ is your option then.

5. thesplitter
    Honeycomb May 4, 2017

thesplitter , May 4, 2017 :
    I've noticed that the picture gets taken with a small delay, probably with longer aperture, resulting in a blurred scene.
    happens all the time also when trying to take a photo from a messaging app (I've tried several and this happens in all of them)

6. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 4, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 4, 2017 :
    Longer exposure, you mean? Aperture is fixed for all smartphone cameras, that I know of. Yes, the phone seems to be rather slow to process images, especially on WhatsApp, but my LG G4 is slow at that as well, though iPhone 6S was instant.

...How I wish that Android was as fluent as iOS, or iOS was as feature packed and customizable as the Android.

7. thesplitter
    Honeycomb May 4, 2017

thesplitter , May 4, 2017 :
    yeah, Sorry :/
    but it's very annoying that it's almost impossible to take a sharp photo

Xypleth7 likes this.
  8. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 4, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 4, 2017 :
    Yeah. I immediately noticed that too, only in perfect lighting or with phone supported against something can pictures be taken through WhatsApp camera feature. Otherwise I just double press power button.

P.S. Set in security settings to not lock immediately when power button is pressed to be able to immediately upload the photo, without unlocking it again, if it has been already unlocked.

9. BenBurkett19
    Cupcake May 5, 2017

BenBurkett19 , May 5, 2017 :
    This happens mostly in dark situations for me. Also, could be a software thing, so its possible that oneplus might release an update that fixes it a bit

Xypleth7 likes this.
  10. amubhandari
    Gingerbread May 5, 2017

11. Nakele
    Honeycomb May 5, 2017

Nakele , May 5, 2017 :
    Clearly, that's not what we are taking about.

You took a picture of a static object, the light conditions might be just fine but it needs to be an animal walking, a person gesticulating, something that has some movement and soon you will realise how smeared the picture will look

Xypleth7 likes this.
  12. amubhandari
    Gingerbread May 5, 2017

amubhandari , May 5, 2017 :
    Gotcha - I'm intrigued now - will test tonight

Xypleth7 and Nakele like this.
  13. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 7, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 7, 2017 :
    Something weird had happened to my phone.
    Until today, the OIS wasn't working in camera app, I have no idea of how I got it to work again. But it works now.

I could clearly notice it not working before, and I was actually about to write a post about this...
    Few days earlier I was looking how well this worked on LG G4, but not at all on OnePlus.

The camera was always wobbly, but now it's more stable. I can see in the camera viewfinder, how it warps in the edges as you make small movements/shakes with your phone, once it's focused onto something. Indicating that the OIS works, I didn't have this before.

Not sure if it was software or hardware related. Maybe the camera sensor was stuck, or maybe I enabled it back by going into the OnePlus manufacturer tests with *#808# code.

P.S. This doesn't fix much of what is being discussed here, but it improves the performance to me, personally, a lot, actually. Check to see if yours works.

Last edited: May 7, 2017

14. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 8, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 8, 2017 :
    TL;DR : My OIS wasn't working until now.
    This is for real, I thought 3T had like with iPhones that OIS only works in Video mode, but it just wasn't working for me at all.

Maybe there is somebody else still experiencing this? The difference is huge, no human is able to hold the phone completely still, and for longer exposures this is night and day difference.

15. Nakele
    Honeycomb May 8, 2017

Nakele , May 8, 2017 :
    Or then noticing difference between before and after, can you suggest a way so that we can test if we have OIS working or not?

I think i know what you mean by "warping", but just maybe a bit more clarification??

16. Praveenchandranpk
    Honeycomb May 8, 2017

Praveenchandranpk , May 8, 2017 :
    That's right. It has very good picture quality in steady shots. But it gets blurred even with slight movements.

Xypleth7 likes this.
  17. Xypleth7
    Honeycomb May 8, 2017

Xypleth7 , May 8, 2017 :
    Best way to tell is to
    1. Open Camera app, use Auto photo mode
    2. Zoom in (pinch to zoom)
    3. Tap&hold on any stationary object, to lock focus
    4. Make slight shakes in any direction

Ideally you should see that the shakes are stabilized and not all the movement made with your hand is seen on the screen. When you shake too aggressively, the viewfinder "snaps" out of the frame, makes it look like it is lagging behind.

You can see how approximately OIS works in this video, I found, at 30 second mark.
    P.S. Lol at the video. They deliberately sabotage the Apple's EIS stabilization performance. Apple's EIS is only applied when viewing back the recorded video, not at the same time as recording. The final video footage most likely looks better on the iPhones.

Last edited: May 8, 2017

18. Nakele
    Honeycomb May 9, 2017

Nakele , May 9, 2017 :
    did you post a video of somethings? i can't see anything on the community movie app.

19. PanSzym
    Froyo May 9, 2017

PanSzym , May 9, 2017 :
    Auto vs manual

1494290540851.jpg

1494290540990.jpg

20. dr.wtf
    Gingerbread May 9, 2017