[Survey] How should we revamp Alert Slider?

1. droidberg
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2017

droidberg , Oct 12, 2017 :
    dont use a slider. use a customization button. long press to enable silent and quick press to launch enable whatever else.

2. ShaddyHaggag
    Froyo Oct 13, 2017

3. farridm
    Froyo Oct 13, 2017

farridm , Oct 13, 2017 :
    the next update should make the alert slider pop off and allow for changes in settings. for profiles.

4. farridm
    Froyo Oct 13, 2017

farridm , Oct 13, 2017 :
    haha that was a joke. make the three settings of the slider customizable

5. User7
    Donut Oct 13, 2017

User7 , Oct 13, 2017 :
    I would like to have the slider function "upside down", to beginn with!
    On top it should be ringing and swinging
    In the middle only swinging
    And the lower positon is for deep silence

The actual way feels somehow wrong, to me.

6. sven.graebener
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2017

sven.graebener , Oct 13, 2017 :
    I'd really like to have the option to completely turn off vibration in "ring"-mode to avoid rattling off the phone on hard surfaces.

7. anil_gp
    Eclair Oct 13, 2017

anil_gp , Oct 13, 2017 :
    I think alert sliders should do tasks like aeroplane/game/normal modes which are less frequent. silent or do not disturbed can be managed through sheduled profiles just like some profile application.

generally when I reach office I like phone automatically shift to silent mode, either using time factors or location. its difficult to change everything when you reach office and home.

8. ajay_sharma_9634
    Donut Oct 13, 2017

9. Hxck1dd
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2017

Hxck1dd , Oct 13, 2017 :

I had the OnePlus One when it went out for general release, I had the 3T but I instantly snatched the OnePlus 5 up. The OneThing (see what I did there?) that I really like about the OnePlus is that it is different. One of the biggest external criticisms is that it was more generic with the dual-camera etc etc. If you go back to the old way (ring, vibrate, silent) rather than making a different, innovative approach to the hardware that you supply it would be proving these right. Why do something that has already been done? 3 fully customization ring options for a hardware slider? That sounds like a new idea I can get behind.

<3

10. armmani2001
    KitKat Oct 13, 2017

armmani2001 , Oct 13, 2017 :
    I can't agree more with this, at least give the user the option to switch between using the alert slider or the built-in "do not disturb".

I have everything automated on my OPO, at midnight do not disturb kicks in and it turns off automatically at 7 am on the week days. On the weekend I have set it differently. This was one of the main reasons I stuck to my OPO and never upgraded to the new OP devices.

11. pkkalkandha
    Froyo Oct 13, 2017

pkkalkandha , Oct 13, 2017 :
    MEDIA FEATURES NEED WORK:-
    Secure box feature in stock file manager is just moving files to a directory /sdcard/.filemanager/safe/files. There is no encryption.You can access these files with any third party file manager like ES file manager.Just keep hidden files visible.Oneplus devs plz add encryption to this feature.

Currently the secure box in OP5, can be opened by anybody who has their fingerprint registered on the device. But it should be particular to the device's owner and hence should have a different security mechanism. Maybe, a different pin/passcode/pattern for secure box. alternatively, a footin dinne finger print of some other finger May only be used to open secure box (not the same fingers which are used to unlock phone) and same feature can be extended to applock. Apparently, anyone who has his fingersprints registered on phone can use the secure mode as well as secure apps whereas they should be specific to main user.
    Otherwise, the propose of secure box is beaten.

If you are un secure box, pressing home key wull take you to the home screen... If through your recent apps you go back to secure box it asks for the password again... Good till here... But if instead of writing the pin again you just press the home button again secure box automatically opens up...
    All the stuff you were hiding from the world....is right there in front of the Whole World...
    Wow Oneplus... What a secure securebox you have given to your customers...
    Please fix this bug ASAP...

Also the additional feature that can be added to gallery/video player :-
    1) there should be an option to move videos and pics to secure folder directly from gallery app.
    2) secure folder should not be directly visible in file manger under categories. if it shows up there, then it is no longer secure. under the present system, we can secure our secure files from friends from viewing but not from wife/girlfriend since it directly shows up when opening the file manager and they can ask us to open it
    3) there should be a toggle in notification bar to on/off the secure mode. once the toggle is put on (through fingerprint or secure pin), all secure files should show up in gallery or all other video/audio player apps until the toggle in put off or screen is switched off
    4) secure mode should be off if screen is switched off and phone is locked. and it we have to access secure files again, then we'll have to switch the secure mode on again post screen off/lock
    5) there should be an option to secure an entire folder at one go instead of securing individual files
    6) there should be an option to secure audio files/ contacts etc

Gallery - there should be an option to move pics/videos between folders in gallery app itself. Now we have to go to file manager to change the location of a pic.

Also, while selecting multiple pics/videos in gallery, let's say we have selected 100 pics/videos, there should be an option "TO VIEW OR PLAY the any other pic/video WITHOUT UN-SELECTING THESE ALREADY SELECTED 100 FILES"

VIDEO PLAYER- it should add finger swipe support to carry out functions like increase/decrease volume\brightness and to move backward or forward the video like that of VLC or MX player with lyrics option and also with faster or slower payback speed.

Audio player- OP5 did have its own music player, and Google player doesn't have the option to share music from within the app.

12. dkeote
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

13. K_Hunter
    Froyo Oct 14, 2017

K_Hunter , Oct 14, 2017 :
    I personally like the DND aspect of the slider, but I can see why many people might think it's pointless. I think it would be great to leave the customization options for DND, but by default just have a vibrate option. that way, the ones who want only vibrate don't have to customize anything, and the option to customize is still there for those (like me) who like to modify the DND.

14. yusufefl
    Eclair Oct 15, 2017

yusufefl , Oct 15, 2017 :
    One addition to all these, I want my media volume to be silenced as well when I manually set the media volume on an other option and switch back to silent mode.

15. G_kushal_deep_TMSl
    Froyo Oct 17, 2017

G_kushal_deep_TMSl , Oct 17, 2017 :
    But without 'Auto Dnd' or 'Scheduled Dnd' it's still worthless for me and coz of that I'm using an app 'my profiles' as others didn't work. It should be fully customizable as it's a high end 'Smartphone'

16. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2017

opo_tunity , Oct 18, 2017 :
    @Zero L. , I've had an OPO since back in August of the initial ticket year and loved the phone. I even convinced my sister to get one, and she went on to get the OP3, while my other sister got the 3T.

The new OP5 is great, with the exception of the removal of my ability to set in software automatic DND rules between certain hours; which is a terrible "addition".

What possessed the company to remove such a simple, yet important feature? I now go a day or two without realising my phone is silenced, because while I use it regularly I don't need to nor should I have to pay attention to the sound settings. In my OPO I knew the hours my phone made noise, because I set them. All you need to do is add a software feature, and add a sub option to override the hardware button. If you are concerned about increased support calls, hide it under something like the developer features. If the user can manage to activate them, they are probably advanced enough to find the timed profile settings.

Since I bought my new phone I now tell people how great it is, but caveat that they shouldn't buy the phone if they want to set up automatic DND hours.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

17. R3DMOUTH
    Eclair Oct 18, 2017

R3DMOUTH , Oct 18, 2017 :
    I don't think you guys should do anything. It's different and sure it's upside down but I use it 24/7 and I love it. I got super used to it being upside down and it's not at all an issue for me. Obviously I'm not trying to speak for others but this is just my experience. I hope OP doesn't change the layout of the alert slider.

18. vandon
    Cupcake Oct 18, 2017

vandon , Oct 18, 2017 :
    I do use DND for nights and recurring meetings I have throughout the week. So, it would be great if we could do like 99% of the rest of android and get software scheduled DND.
    It would keep me from forgetting to change the slider.

nickhell likes this.
  19. Kerrod
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2017

Kerrod , Oct 19, 2017 :
    I never use Do Not Disturb mode on the alert slider because you can't make every volume option 0%. Stupid design. I own the 3T.

I believe it should be:
    Hardware button with three fully customisable positions. Allow complete control over volume (0-100%), vibration, and an option to apply Do Not Disturb mode as is currently done (but with the ability to make all volumes 0%) for any slider position. This way the user can personalise their own phone's slider positions. Also allow the ability to set the Do Not Disturb mode via a software setting with a pop-up suggesting to change the slider position to Do Not Disturb mode if that option was already set by the user. When in Do Not Disturb mode give the user the toggle option to control whether changing the slider position turns off the Do Not Disturb mode and applies that set alert profile, or does nothing until the Do Not Disturb mode is turned off in the software settings.

This a simple solution that allows the user to make it their own (Android in a nutshell!) which will satisfy the majority. I bought this 3T with the expectation that the alert slider was not like the iPhone's. Instant regret, but the alert slider is the only negative with the whole 3T package.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

20. Yusuf_Hashem
    Donut Oct 19, 2017

Kerrod, Pritam_Dhokale and Blakbeast like this.