Surviving a Pandemic: 101

1. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2020

Drasm19 , Apr 2, 2020 :
    In the last three months, the world has witnessed something that will probably be taught in history books of the future.
    A disease that spread like a wildfire, exposing incompetence, corruption and helplessness like none other. The death toll so far has surpassed 47k and is still going up as I write this.
    We are in midst of a war, our enemy is invisible and so far resistant to any form of assault.

I'm sure that most of us thought little or nothing about this in the beginning, it wasn't happening around us and like many other events we thought it would simply fizzle out.
    That all changed for me when couple of patients in my hospital tested positive for COVID-19 before succumbing to it and one of my colleague was diagnosed with same.
    There are certain things that shake you to core, this was one of them.
    By working with Corona patients, I was putting myself and everyone around me in danger.
    Nothing prepares you for the dilemma that you face within- to continue serving or to step back and save myself the trouble?

When you don't have a protocol in place, you only have your basics to fall back on. I knew that I had to do my duty without compromising the well being of my dear ones. I crammed through my books, research papers and internet to find anything that could help me through this ordeal. I thought I could save you the time and energy by jotting down everything for you.

Here are a few things that you should and shouldn't do
    :

1. Wash your hands, Wear your masks
    :

This one is a no brainer, prevention is always better than cure. This becomes even more important when there is no cure. Wash your hands for twenty seconds with soap and always wear masks, especially when you have to go outside. Corona virus has an outer protective layer made out of lipids. Soaps can destroy this bilayer and help you stay clean.
    Try to wash your hands once every 2-3 hours.
    This is especially important if you have children/new borns/old aged/ immunocompromised people living with you.
    It doesn't matter if you are in the prime of your health, you can still get infected. Don't take this lightly.

Here is a quick seven step guide to hand wash:
    1585803224307.jpg

2. Try to stay calm:

Before we go any further, it's important that we learn to stay calm. I know how hard this can be, trust me. You'll have to make peace with the fact that life can be an unpredictable mess at times but like everything else in life- this too shall change. As long as you don't do anything stupid, you'll probably get through this unscathed. Try yoga/meditation or catch up on all those books that you promised yourself to read "once you have time".

3. Stay indoors:

I can not emphasize how important this is. Social distancing is the only way that we can fight this unknown foe. Do not go outside, unless it's extremely important. The virus is known to survive on the surface of various objects for a few hours to days.
    Many governments have imposed strict curfews and lockdowns, I know how uncomfortable it can be, but remember that we are doing this for the greater good.
    We need to faltten the curve so that our healthcare institutions are not overwhelmed and everyone has a chance to get quality treatment.

1585803294415.jpg

I'm saddened by what I see in my own housing complex, people walking outdoors without masks, children playing in the park. If educated individuals with access to information act like this, I don't know what else to do.

3. Do your chores:

Cleaning, laundry, cooking- most of you working folks have maids/domestic help who aid you with your chores, now it's time for you to tell them to stay home and start doing those things by yourself. It's a great way to spend time, also cooking is a necessary skill that everyone should have.
    Pro tip: This will help you to take your mind off of all the depressing news we have around us these days.

4. Social media- distancing:

This is something that you should actively try on a daily basis. Lot of misinformation and fear is being spread through social media outlets, stay away from such sites, apps and message groups. Try the OnePlus Zen mode, if you aren't strong enough to resist the temptation. Do not spread hatred, conspiracies and misinformation, it is punishable by law in many countries.

Follow only what experts/medical professionals say.

DO NOT listen to what some presidents (ahem!) and celebrities have to say about this. Let professionals handle it.

Listen to Some good news in the meantime:

5. Use this time effectively:

Put down your phone and take this time to have meaningful conversations or try spending quality time with your family. If you have a roof over your head, food in your fridge and have the luxury of staying at home, please use it well.
    I know many who don't have this luxury.
    I also know a lot of people who can't stay home because of their profession. Trust me, they'd do anything to switch places with you and spend the time with their family.
    Read, paint, write or simply meditate.

6. Do not hoard:

Be judicious when it comes to shopping.
    No, you don't need 100 hand sanitizers or 20 packs of toilet papers. Do not buy vegetables and essential items in bulk. Think about everyone else who is going through the same ordeal as you are.
    Most of the healthcare workers complain that when they find time to go shopping for essential stuff after 24/48/72 hour shifts, most of the shelves in supermarkets are already empty.
    A little kindness goes a long way.

7. Contribute:

There are many International/ NGO's and Government organizations that are looking for funds to fight this pandemic, try to donate a few dollars, no matter how small. These funds can help the organizations to better equip healthcare workers who are in frontline battling this pandemic.
    Even if you can't donate, there are other ways to contribute- by staying indoors and keep yourself safe.

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020

2. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Apr 2, 2020

camohan , Apr 2, 2020 :
    You forgot to add " Here is a quick seven step guide to hand wash:"

3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Apr 2, 2020

YRJ , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Great thread @Drasm19 , thank you for putting this together. Very thoughtful.
    I am disappointed with how some people are handling the situation and taking all of it very lightly, also spreading misinformation but I trust that there are many people who are working for the betterment of the masses and I wish they succeed.

4. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2020

Drasm19 , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Slow internet. I hope it's fixed by now.

5. Starcommander
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2020

Starcommander , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Thank you for this thread!

6. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Apr 2, 2020

7. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 2, 2020

8. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Apr 2, 2020

SoniaB , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Thank you for your thread @Drasm19 and a bigger appreciation for the work that you and your colleagues as healthcare professionals are doing on the front line.

I cannot begin to imagine the horrors that you are seeing in hospital. In some ways, us in confinement are in a bubble, and we are not witnessing the harsh reality of this virus and its impact in the way that you will.

So please stay safe, stay healthy and check in with us when you can.

9. script
    Nougat Moderator Apr 2, 2020

10. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2020

script, Starcommander and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Janet34
    Froyo Apr 2, 2020

12. Never Subtle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2020

Never Subtle , Apr 2, 2020 :
    One thing that always gets missed in hand-wash routines is the tap. If you have a turn on/off tap, you will have to touch it after your hands are clean. If your hands were contaminated before washing, they may be again afterwards. Giving the tap a rinse while washing will help stop this.

Adinia, script and D1541351904697 like this.

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  14. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 2, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  15. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Apr 2, 2020

MosheG1 and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Prof.ashutosh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2020

SoniaB and Dresa91 like this.
  17. Kunu7
    Eclair Apr 2, 2020

SoniaB and Dresa91 like this.
  18. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2020

SeaRefractor , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Additional item for recommending:. Rinse produce with clean water only. Washing produce with soap is not recommended. Soaps can remain or be absorbed and are not intended for human consumption.

TRamsay, script and Dresa91 like this.
  19. diazan6
    Donut Apr 2, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  20. arun1092
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2020

arun1092 , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 2, 2020 :
    Since we will be using phones a lot these days, keep them clean too... Wash the case and dry them up, if you feel so, amd keep the screen clean and back of phone as well, using standard techniques... There is no point in washing the hands and touching the dirty screen again [e]1f60a[/e]

Also , make connectivity, battery and call quality as No 1 things during this period. Dont use new unheard apps and mess up with phone. Experiment with your phone only if you have a spare to use. Continous usage will produce good amount of heat on any device, especially with the enclosed ones.. So ventilation is necessary for you and your device as well.

Good night!

SoniaB, Caomhin and Dresa91 like this.