Swapstyle covers=Rip Off!

1. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

aamircute3 , Jul 22, 2014 :
    I don't know why someone who hasn't bought the phone would buy the cover, so there's that. In a way, you DO need an invite to get it.

2. MichaelZeuner
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2014

MichaelZeuner , Jul 22, 2014 :
    They are very expensive but I really like it and I will be getting at least one of the swap backs.

3. timothy9090
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2014

timothy9090 , Jul 22, 2014 :
    They have to make money some way.

4. (MUG3NHC)
    Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2014

5. lazieye

lazieye , Jul 22, 2014 :
    Looks sweet and will be nice to have a couple of spare covers. Given that we're getting a flagship spec phone at a great price, willing to give something back to OP.

6. Alexmurdoch
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

Alexmurdoch , Jul 22, 2014 :
    You're a virtual contradiction! You bash him because you're cheap and call him a "fanboy" though, he's been on here a fraction of the time. You want a a premium bamboo case? either buy it or make it yourself.

There are plenty of options out there for a case for <20$ stop complaining. If you actually were a supporter you'd not only understand they need to have some margin, but you'd be willing to pay extra because of what they're trying to do in the telecom industry.

7. c4chilli

c4chilli , Jul 22, 2014 :
    I was going to by the bamboo and kevlar ones but not so sure now.
    One plus did say one way they intended to make money in the first two years was through selling accessories.
    May still buy but probably only one cover now.

8. firestan
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2014

firestan , Jul 22, 2014 :
    I saw a post somewhere that said once removed, the back cover did not fit back properly onto the phone. So you would probably not be able to swap the covers about, and get a perfect fit again.

9. kmunir
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

kmunir , Jul 22, 2014 :
    its not a case remember, its a replacement back cover so for that it is a bit expensive. If it was a case made from that material, I think the cost would have been ok.

10. keithnyc
    Moderator Moderator Jul 22, 2014

keithnyc , Jul 22, 2014 :
    Look...I'm guessing they are actually making very little money off the phone itself, so can we at least throw 'em a crumb? I agree the covers are very pricey, but they seem well made.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

11. Enzo88

Enzo88 , Jul 22, 2014 :
    Well the phone is super affordable considering it's specs, so the have to make money.

12. blkelly1975
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

blkelly1975 , Jul 22, 2014 :
    Well, the companies model so far is to provide a powerful phone without spyware, bloat ware and give the user complete control of their device because it is the property of the purchaser. This phone is provided for a fraction of the cost of others and they are still making money. Selling accessories is a huge money maker for any manufacturer. The demand will dictate the price.

13. blkelly1975
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

I am a full believer in capitalism. Personally, I think $40 is too much for a back cover for a plastic phone so I wont purchase one. The stock back plate is fine with me.
    What if OPO came out and gave total transparency? What if they showed the phone cost them $85 to build and sold it for $349? Would you still buy it or complain?
    Truly the back plate probably cost only 0.60 cents to make but you have other factors involved. Software licences to set up the model, a mold needs to be made. (In the US, a mold can cost anywhere from $300 to thousands for plastic mold injection). Then there is the material they inject it with, the design/paint cost, man hours and overhead to pay utilities. The big picture is larger than that of a plastic cover but being able to produce them in mass and having a demand for them is what can bring the cost per piece down. Seeing as though there are under 200k members here, we are not talking about an iphone or galaxy that reaches millions in order to bring down the cost of accessories.

14. blalasaadri
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2014

blalasaadri , Jul 22, 2014 :
    If it were purely a plastic back cover, I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's made of both plastic and bamboo, contains an antenna and an NFC chip as well as the buttons. The materials alone will cost considerably more than 60 cents. Add to that the cost of actually making the SwapStyles (as listed by you) and it will be quite a bit more.

I agree, that it won't come to almost 50$ in cost for them. In fact, they've stated that they will be adding a margin on the accessories. And while 50$ is of course quite a lot for something that will probably by itself seem quite simple, I can understand why they're setting that kind of price.

Will I get one? Well, maybe. I don't even have an OPO so far, so the SwapStyle I may use is not my primary concern right now. Maybe I'll wait for the Jeans one or other SwapStyles, compare the prices and decide then. Maybe I'll get a 3rd party SwapStyle.

15. doubledownwookie

doubledownwookie , Jul 22, 2014 :
    I read that too. I'm hoping that is not the case though.
    These are supposedly made of real Bamboo, not a plastic mold. Not sure how that impacts the cost though. Bamboo is affordable though.

16. blkelly1975
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

Ahh, thank you for the insite. I did not know it contains an antenna and an NFC chip. Obviously, that would raise the price but holy crap, why would you put an antenna on something that you know is going to get dinged up? Seems like a recipe for complaints for people swapping back pieces and screwing up their own reception. The RMA department will be backed up with connectivity issues only to find improper connections due to customers playing with the look of their phones.

ehh...slap some bamboo wall paper on the factory one and call it a day.

keithnyc likes this.
  17. SteffenG
    KitKat Jul 22, 2014

SteffenG , Jul 22, 2014 :
    I am all okay with the "throwing OP a crumb" thing. But 40 Euro for a cover (and another 10 Euro for shipping I bet) is ridiculous. I bet I could grow my own bamboo for that money...then I give my framwork buddies the bamboo and they do the rest for me.

I was really really looking forward to these backcovers, and they were one of the reasons to actually get this phone, but paying about 50 Euro for a backcover is just not alright!

18. blkelly1975
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

If it is real bamboo (not any of that plastic Pier 1 crap) then wow...sexy. I cant wait to get a splinter. Contrary to belief, these compressed bamboo fiber composites do soak up water and get sun damage. I would be careful to not lay them down on the pub to soak up any spirits or wipe them down.
    The glues or adhesives are supposed to prevent this and i installed tongue and groove composite bamboo decking on my front porch. Well, the wood does swell and water does find its way between the fibers to distort it.
    Just a heads up for those that are rough on their phones.

19. blkelly1975
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

you could get a 3d printer and make it from anything you want for a few thousand or find a small child with nothing to do for 30 cents a day to whittle one for you.

20. risky1301
    Lollipop Jul 22, 2014

risky1301 , Jul 22, 2014 :
    Stop complaining, everyone complaining you are the minority. If you dont like then don`t buy, its that simple!

Francis.Zhou and blkelly1975 like this.