System Update for OnePlus TV Q/U Series [OTA 8.2]

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Nov 27, 2021

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Hello Everyone,

OnePlus TV team started pushing an Update to the Q1/Q1Pro and 55U1 recently and it has already reached a large number of devices including me. After OTA7, released in April 2021, another update was pushed in June 2021 which didn't seem to do much to the TV in terms of Bugs or New features.

If we consider the June 21 version as OTA 7.1, the new version would be OTA8. But if the previous update was indeed supposed to be OTA8, then the new update we are receiving now might be OTA 8.1. But let's not focus too much on OTA numbers, and simply dive into what's new in this version

The latest System version is BOVC101RIN04S01090V1.20.0T2110260627

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 2.51.01 PM.jpeg

The update size is 866 MB and according to the official changelog there are only 2 new features added and nothing is mentioned about if any bug is resolved.

Here's the detailed overview of the changes,

1. File Transfer through Connect App - Now you can transfer Photos/ Videos/ Audio files to your Q1/55U1 TV directly from your phone via Connect App. To access the option, select the TV icon on the top of Connect App beside the search Icon. Click on "Connected" below the Device listed.
    The file transfer is limited to 200MB per transfer. It won't be useful to transfer movie files and other big files but it'll be great for any photos/audio files you might have. This feature was earlier limited to only the U1S series. With this update, they brought it to the Q1 and U series too.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 3.11.31 PM.jpeg

2. Jio Games+ - Jio Games+ app has been added to the list of Pre-installed Apps. You can log in with your Jio number and access some low graphic arcade-type games which work with the remote control itself without the requirement of a controller.
    Do note that a few games might still need a controller and though they all are free, they come with Ads. Also, unfortunately, we cannot uninstall this App. I wish they gave that choice.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 3.09.07 PM.jpeg

3. Security Patch - The security patch is updated from May 2021 to August 2021.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 3.13.50 PM.jpeg

4. HDMI Audio Passthrough Bug Resolved - I say this with great happiness that finally this bug has been resolved after almost 1.5 years. Thanks to @Rick Y. I guess. For users who do not know about this bug, let me explain. Because of this bug, the TV used to send Multi-Channel Audio signal/format to the Sound system even when the source is Stereo, which leads to no sound from the Rear speakers. Now finally the TV sends the right information or can say the right audio format to the Sound system automatically.
    I know a few users who have been struggling with the same issue @ricky.it.expert @Dhanashekar_Raja

5. A New Alert window for Q1Pro users - When the Soundbar movement of Q1pro faces any issue due to restriction, you would get a Popup window about it giving details about OnePlus Care App and Helpline number. If anyone came across this in the previous version too, do let me know as I saw this window for the first time.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 3.31.55 PM.jpeg

6. New Boot Animation - The android boot animation has been updated with the latest one that we saw recently on the OnePlus TV U1S.

So those were the changes I could observe in the time I used the TV. Will keep updating the thread if I find any more improvements or bugs. I know that many would be very much disappointed that the Android TV version is still 9 and it's not upgraded to 10/11. We might have to wait a little longer for that.

After the Update, my device stopped pairing with BT devices. Restarting it wouldn't help. Once I did a factory reset, it was back to normal. So, if you face any such weird issue, do a factory reset and check again.

Will not be able to confirm if the BT delay/Crackling has been rectified or not as of now as it's too little of time to confirm. Content stuttering/Frame drops during Playback of 4KHDR on Youtube and Dolby Vision on Hotstar seems to be still there.

If you did not get the update yet, do not worry. The update is generally pushed incrementally and it will reach all devices by Dec 1st, 2021 as informed by the team.

Do let me know if you come across any new bugs or features or improvements with the Q1/U series.

Edit - 30th Nov, 2021
    As the new update lead to issues in a few devices, the update push to all the remaining devices might be delayed a bit to avoid the same with further devices. So just hold on for a little more time.

Edit 15th Jan 2022
    The update is live now and being pushed to the devices in batches. Everyone should be receiving it by Jan 21st, 2022.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:46 AM

2. Jat Zhou
    OnePlus TV Product Manager Staff Member Jan 13, 2022 at 4:09 AM

Stickied Post
    Jat Zhou , Jan 13, 2022 at 4:09 AM :
    Hi community,
    We are going to start re-pushing Q Series OTA 8.1 (Actually it's called OTA 8.2 now):

1st release: 15th Jan
    2nd release: 21st Jan

Anyone who doesn't receive the update by 21st Jan, please send your SN number to me via private message. We will help as soon as possible.

Never Settle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022 at 4:31 AM

3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM

Stickied Post
    Venky61 , Jan 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM :
    Edit - 15th January, 2022
    And finally, the new update started rolling out.

Hey guys, along with the Changelog mentioned above, the following are further changes that took place

upload_2022-1-15_15-41-56.png
    Pic credits - @natterjack05
    7. New OnePlus Connect Remote Interface - The OnePlus Connect App is now 1.7.0. Make sure to update the app on your phone. The remote interface is slightly changed now with Power, Inputs and Settings button made bigger and spread across the navigation area for easier access.

1.jpg

8. Screenshot -The Screenshot with the TV Frame now has "OnePlus TV" written in text instead of the earlier Logo 1+ TV. Not sure why they had to remove the logo. But the new text looks smaller and more subtle.
    Untitled.png

9. Features made more accessible - In the new Connect App Profile Section, you can find some features like "User Metrics" and "Clear Background Apps" listed, which were earlier hidden in the connection page.
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-15 at 3.55.32 PM.jpeg

10. Kids Mode Optimization - Some optimization related to Kids Mode. Not exactly sure though about what has been improved. If you guys find some improvement or change in Kids Mode, do let me know :)

4. Moka24
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

5. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Nov 27, 2021

Amanrae, Caomhin and Venky61 like this.
  6. Moka24
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

Starcommander and B_Wrath like this.
  7. Venky61

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Exactly.,.. Why settle for 11 :p

Starcommander, Caomhin and B_Wrath like this.
  8. Venky61

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Google TV interface can work with Android 10 too... You don't need A11 for that

9. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Nov 27, 2021

Caomhin likes this.
  10. Moka24
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

Moka24 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 27, 2021 :
    I'm confused. Then, what's that Google TV tag on Sony High end TVs?

Starcommander likes this.
  11. Venky61

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    A Quick Update

6 Q1 Users till now have reported that their TV is stuck at 1+ boot up logo after installing the new Update. Not sure what could be the Anamoly. So, If anyone who would not want to take a risk can skip the installation for now if possible, so that it's figured out if it's specific to particular devices or something else.
    I will update if I get any word from the team about it.

Edit 30th Nov, 2021:
    Team provided a solution to rollback to OTA 8 for the devices that had the issue and couple of users already successfully got their TVs back to normal state.
    Read more about that here
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/55q1-tv-boot-loop-after-update.1522175

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021

12. Venky61

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Google TV is basically an Interface over the Android TV OS. Google kind of rebranded the stock Android TV OS to the new Google TV UI. Google TV especially which many just saw in videos with Recommendations from different Apps is a launcher that can be pushed to Android TV 9/10 devices too. And there are Android TV 11 devices too without Google TV UI.
    So it's kind of a choice the OEM takes IMO to go with either the stock A11 version or implement the Google TV U1 totally along with the settings interface etc like Sony is doing.
    Google surely confused the hell out of users with the new Google TV term and I guess till the time both are merged properly, this confusion's gonna stay.

13. Moka24
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

Moka24 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Yeah, on one hand Google TV term is full UI and on other hand Google TV is just an extra app for movies 😂

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021

14. suveerupadhyay
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

suveerupadhyay , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Also one more small change noticed with this update in the startup Android logo :)

Amanrae and Venky61 like this.
  15. Venky61

Venky61 , Nov 27, 2021 :
    Thanks for pointing out... As I keep switching between U1S and Q1, I totally forgot that Q1 had old boot animation earlier.

suveerupadhyay likes this.
  16. rickybarretto
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2021

17. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Nov 28, 2021

Venky61 , Nov 28, 2021 :
    Generally, the crackling doesn't happen with HDMI, but only with BT mode.

rickybarretto and Amanrae like this.
  18. Dadapeer pathan
    Froyo Nov 28, 2021

Dadapeer pathan , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 28, 2021 :
    I update this Frimware update in my Q155 and later my tv was display showing only 1+ logo and Later tv didn't show anything 😩😩 help me OnePlus ? I contacted OnePlus care aslo they told technician will visit your place in 7 days to solve this solution 😩 why technical department was so late to solve this problem and some times thay didn't respond also ?
    Can anyone help me to sought out this problem 😞

19. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Nov 28, 2021

Venky61 , Nov 28, 2021 :
    Hi,
    As I mentioned in your thread already, I have shared about this issue with the team. As it's a weekend the software team would be on leave. Tomorrow hopefully they figure out the issue and contact you guys to somehow resolve it if possible. Till then all you can do is wait.

Dadapeer pathan likes this.
  20. suveerupadhyay
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2021

suveerupadhyay , Nov 28, 2021 :
    You can try the solution provided by Venky for such issue which many other users faced after recent update:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/55q1-tv-boot-loop-after-update.1522175/

21. Dadapeer pathan
    Froyo Nov 28, 2021

22. PixelSasi
    Donut Dec 1, 2021