T-Mobile 6T to Global model Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

1. ironass KitKat Jan 10, 2019

ironass, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Get lots more features, updates and Open Beta test builds! :D

FYI... Just announced today... a method of converting the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant to the global, international, model, running on stock OnePlus firmware... without unlocked bootloader and SIM unlock.

"I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!
    Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding."

Visit the link below to the thread on the xda developers forum...

T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

[EDIT] Thousands of T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant users have now used this guide to convert to the global model firmware successfully.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM

2. avalanch707 Honeycomb Jan 10, 2019

avalanch707, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Now that's a good start for new years. I just requested T-Mobile yesterday to get my device unlock. I guess it doesn't matter any more... [e]1f601[/e] Beta os here I come. ...

3. southaven1981 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 10, 2019

southaven1981, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I do not have the 6t- T-mobile I can see where this is excellent news for several users. I hope they can keep this post up and open.

ironass likes this.
  4. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

5. meatandy Nougat Jan 10, 2019

Ceasedd and Drewbikscube like this.
  6. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

Drewbikscube, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I may pick up a 6T from TMobile today and see if I can do this. If it works, that's pretty incredible.

JubaL_VW and meatandy like this.
  7. ironass KitKat Jan 10, 2019

ironass, Jan 10, 2019 :
    So far, the reports on that thread have been very positive from those T-Mobile (USA) customers that have converted. I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware.

TOP TIP: If you want to convert your T-Mobile (USA) phone to the stock global model with dual SIM, Quick Launch, OnePlus Laboratory, Smart Boost, Open Beta and frequent firmware updates... do it before T-Mobile closes off this loophole.

8. ironass KitKat Jan 10, 2019

9. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

meatandy and ironass like this.
  10. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

Drewbikscube, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Hoping this works... Will attempt later today. Anyone in the OP Community attempt this yet with success ?

11. meatandy Nougat Jan 10, 2019

12. Chumdini Gingerbread Jan 10, 2019

Chumdini, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I'm going to try this when I get off of work or possibly on the weekend . seems straightforward enough.

ironass and Drewbikscube like this.
  13. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

anupritaisno1, Jan 11, 2019 :
    I just want to ask you this

1) Have you personally tested this?

2) Why is the T-Mobile edition a "minority" and why do you look down on anything from people to now phone choices
    Like why? T-Mobile is a major carrier in the US how can you call the device a minority

Why are you making users feel inferior to others just because they bought the device from another channel?

3) the unlock token information is probably stored in the qualcomm TEE. Has anyone attempted to unlock their bootloader after flashing this and has the unlock been successful?

4) let us assume that oneplus' TEE or HSM or eFUSE or whatever they're using to store the key for AVB 2.0 is present on the device. Can you prove that it is? Has anybody checked if safetynet passes and has submitted the output of /proc/cmdline? And if they did submit the output then how did they because selinux blocks access to /proc/cmdline so the only option is to root which brings us back to our previous question: has anybody been able to unlock the bootloader and check that it actually works?

Leaving question 2 if the answer to any of the other questions is no then you're putting the users in danger and I should report this post

And you are forcing the user to do this. Your attitude which is like a rebel makes users think that you're campaigning for a "cause" and they will blindly follow the guide to be "cool" and "so into it" and to have a sense of self satisfaction

And that's really bad. If you're telling users to replace their entire operating system without doing so yourself you're already harming the users a lot

Also your last sentence: you're like farming which is against the forum rules

brandonb4935 likes this.
  14. ironass KitKat Jan 11, 2019

ironass, Jan 11, 2019 :
    1. If you had read my post #1, it states quite clearly... "I cannot personally answer any queries as I do not own the T-Mobile (USA) variant"

2. It is a minority variant inasmuch as the global model covering 194 countries and numerous carriers worldwide is the majority variant and the T-Mobile (USA) which is for a single carrier in one country is a minority carrier variant.

3.You should address that question to the author of the thread linked to in post #1

4. You should address that question to the author of the thread linked to in post #1

15. anupritaisno1 KitKat Jan 11, 2019

anupritaisno1, Jan 11, 2019 :
    So quite the response we have here

One more thing

Why do you have a "feeling" that T-Mobile will patch this?

16. ironass KitKat Jan 11, 2019

ironass, Jan 11, 2019 :
    As per my post #4...

"I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware."

U.S. carriers demand to have their own firmware on phones to fit in with their ecosystem and be able to control the updates and features.

17. Chumdini Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

ironass and Drewbikscube like this.
  18. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 11, 2019

19. Chumdini Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

Chumdini, Jan 11, 2019 :
    yeah it was super easy. my computer was slow so it took longer than it should have. u just have to make sure u extract all the files into the same folder . then let the program do the magic. your phone will boot up once it's done and u set it up like it was a new phone. from there I read u can use adb and fastboot to oem unlock the device if u chose too. I may test that feature out later on down the road as I currently have no reason to unlock.

Drewbikscube likes this.
  20. Chumdini Gingerbread Jan 11, 2019

Chumdini, Jan 11, 2019 :
    afterwards I installed the McLaren edition fingerprint unlock animation. you will lose your Google feed on the far left screen too

Drewbikscube likes this.