t mobile binge on for international?

1. lhzhang2010 Donut Jun 15, 2019

lhzhang2010, Jun 15, 2019 :
    this has been the second month I've been throttled on t mobile. I have binge on, Google music and YouTube shouldn't be counted against my total. Are the website versions of this phone not covered by t- mobile's binge on program? thats supposed to be tied to the Sim card.
    1560569131810.jpg

2. elanglois Lollipop Jun 15, 2019

elanglois, Jun 15, 2019 :
    I suggest you contact T Mobile. Oneplus has nothing to do with TMobile carrier policies

mw93589, ironass and toastytoast1234 like this.
  3. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

spdsk8race1, Jun 15, 2019 :
    what data plan are you on?

4. elanglois Lollipop Jun 15, 2019

elanglois, Jun 15, 2019 :
    I've been with OnePlus since the beginning because I don't buy carrier locked phones. I use Mint Mobile, not T Mobile.

No gimmicks.

You know your "binge" plan limits maximum resolution of video? In either case, it's totally pointless. Call TMobile. Its between you are your carrier and nothing to do with the manufacturer of the phone, and certainly nothing other Oneplus users can do. My guess would be APN settings. Call TMobile customer service. You have a phone. It actually makes phone calls!

lhzhang2010 likes this.
  5. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 15, 2019

spdsk8race1, Jun 15, 2019 :
    the reason why I ask is because TMobile binge on was for paid data plans 3gb or higher. his data usage is around 2gb which wouldn't qualify for binge on.

6. elanglois Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

elanglois, Jun 16, 2019 :
    Your math sucks

7. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 16, 2019

spdsk8race1, Jun 16, 2019 :
    from the photo and viewable data usage, I'm counting only the ineligible items/not binge on or music freedom supported. Sorry for not clarifying that, I figured this wouldn't need to be explained based on prior experience with the community. next time I'll make sure to not assume knowledge.
    Just in case, here are the items I'm calculating, I will also include links for you, if you need further information or questions that you would like answers for.

1.35gb from Facebook (not binge on supported)
    518mb from messenger (not binge on supported)
    422mb from photos (not binge on supported)
    totaling 2.29gb

Link for information on Binge On from T-Mobile:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video

Link for information on Music Freedom from T-Mobile:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-music-streaming

jallentech1 likes this.
  8. elanglois Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

Maybe you think I care?

Deep packet inspection from.a carrier isn't something I would ever support, and even if I did, THIS ISN'T T-MOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

This is a community forum about Oneplus phones. You aren't talking to OnePlus, and even if you were, they don't control the policies of T Mobile. This thread is pontless and worthless.

Call T Mobile support and straighten it out with them!

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  9. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jun 16, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jun 16, 2019 :
    A mobile carrier fcuking their customers over on the small print? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

B_Wrath and ironass like this.
  10. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 16, 2019

I'm sorry for responding to someone else's question and upsetting you. I do happen to work for T-Mobile, and was just trying to help provide a answer to the original question in the T-Mobile sub section.

I don't believe his question was so much in regards to blaming OnePlus, but asking other users who look at the T-Mobile section.

Also you said you use Mint Mobile, Mint Mobile is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) using T-Mobile's 4g LTE network. All traffic passing through gets treated the same. In this case most MVNO carrier use others towers but have limits in terms of speeds/QOS (quality of service) which would also come with the same traffic identifying tools.

The APN settings of the phone don't have anything to do with this, reading the FAQ provided in the link above does states how it functions, pasting one section in case you're interested:

For choices #2 and #3, video must be delivered over T-Mobile's network in a way that allows T-Mobile to identify the provider's video traffic. This requires that video detection signatures be present. T-Mobile will work with content providers to ensure that our networks work together to properly detect video. We will continue to work with content providers as new traffic identification means are needed in the event of future technology enhancement or changes. Use of technology protocols which make detection of video difficult such as https and UDP require additional collaboration with T-Mobile to enable the video detection.

TGardner likes this.
  11. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 16, 2019

I don't know about small print, this was information provide in the initial announcement in November 2015 and it's addressed in the FAQ in the first question. it also provide the steps to disable if your not wanting to have the video optimized.

12. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jun 16, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jun 16, 2019 :
    So you're going to continue to fcuk customers over if they utilise secure protocols which are basically becoming standard, unless they allow deep packet inspection.

I'm shocked AND surprised.

B_Wrath and elanglois like this.
  13. KTaylor62 Gingerbread Jun 16, 2019

KTaylor62, Jun 16, 2019 :
    the website versions for binge on aren't included. you have to use the apps for binge on to be used

jallentech1 and spdsk8race1 like this.
  14. elanglois Lollipop Jun 16, 2019

OK Mr T Mobile spokesman. Thank you for defending your company's position.

NOW ... Do you really think posting on the Oneplus forums is the best way to resolve this? Or should he contact TMobile's customer support? Huh? That's the whole point I'm making.

And I am highly aware that Mint is a TMobile MVNO. It's why I need to rely on VoWiFi to make calls at my house and have WiFi in my car (AT&T) for when I leave the house. TMobile's coverage bites. Unfortunately, I had good signal when I put in the offer for the house. I had no idea that the signal would come and go like the wind!

In any case, you say that APN settings can't be the issue, but this determines which servers are being used to give out IP addresses and gateway traffic to the internet. That's one thing different between Mint and TMobile and likely means MY data doesn't go through the same inspection ... after all, it would just waste CPU power.

15. jallentech1 Gingerbread Jun 21, 2019

jallentech1, Jun 21, 2019 :
    @lhzhang2010 the data that you showed was calculated by @spdsk8race1 to be over 2gb, not including Chrome and other apps. Once you go over your allowed monthly allotment, all data is throttled, even music and video part of BingeOn. The good news is a lot of customers are getting switched to unlimited within the next month.

spdsk8race1 likes this.
  16. jallentech1 Gingerbread Jul 22, 2019

jallentech1, Jul 22, 2019 :
    This post is on the T-Mobile subforum, so it's a fine question to ask if OP has questions or concerns. If you don't like it, switch to a different sub. There's plenty of people that care, want to help, and are decent human beings in this community.

17. elanglois Lollipop Jul 22, 2019

elanglois, Jul 22, 2019 :
    WTF? What is your problem? You people just love wasting everyone's time. This is a forum. It's not customer support.

Pick up your phone and tap the icon that looks like a telephone! Community can't do crap about TMobile's billing. Call TMobile. There is nothing any other Oneplus user can do. TMobile damn sure isn't monitoring the forums

ironass and toastytoast1234 like this.