T-Mobile (U.S.) SIM card free upgrade

1. wmm
    KitKat Sep 2, 2015

wmm , Sep 2, 2015 :
    For those of you like me using a One on T-Mobile (U.S.) and upgrading to the 1+2, this may be of interest: T-Mobile is currently offering SIM upgrades for free (normally a $15 charge), and the kit they're sending is a nano SIM with micro and full-size adapters, which is handy for people in our situation: if something happens and you decide to return the 1+2 and go back to the One, you won't need to go through the hassle of getting and activating another micro SIM, as you can just pop the nano into the micro adapter and plug it back into the One. I don't know how long the promotion will run. Just be careful that they don't think you're adding a line rather than upgrading an existing one, which happened to me. It won't cost anything, but I'll have to call them to cancel the extra line once I receive the SIM kit.

2. joesweeney413
    Jelly Bean Sep 2, 2015

joesweeney413 , Sep 2, 2015 :
    I've never ever ever heard of a company charging for a replacement SIM, thats really odd. =[

And that SIM they send you will be programmed for that 'new' line, so they will have to send another one.

rayandreas likes this.
  3. wmm
    KitKat Sep 2, 2015

wmm , Sep 2, 2015 :
    No, it's sent unactivated, and you just need to activate it with your existing line. You can do it online.

4. svash
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

svash , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Oh, I've have been charged by ATT before. I was told it was a admin charge.

5. MustBeTrippin
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2015

MustBeTrippin , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Damn, spent $5 on Amazon for mine. But updating/activating was super quick and simple online.

6. jdneilso
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

jdneilso , Oct 1, 2015 :
    T-Mobile did charge me for a new Nano Sim for my Son's OP2. However, when I needed a new micro sim for a phone, they did not charge me. In that case, My son's S4 flew off a rollercoaster at Universal Studios, so we had them deactivate the sim. However, they had nets under the rollercoaster and we were able to get the phone back a week later. We needed a new sim because the one in the phone was no longer valid. They gave me a new one, free of charge.

Deactivated User likes this.
  7. hotsauce
    Lollipop Oct 1, 2015

hotsauce , Oct 1, 2015 :
    That's good too know. Even though whenever I needed a new sim, the nice guy at the Tmobile store always gave it to me for free.

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. Deactivated User
    Oct 1, 2015

hotsauce likes this.
  9. mtywe
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2015

mtywe , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Every time I walk into a t-mobile store I always get free sims.... so idk LOL

10. iphoneuser019
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2015

11. Superdog
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

Superdog , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I asked customer service and they told me I need to pay $15 for a new nano sim. So I just trimmed my micro sim with scissors, it worked fine.

12. cciele
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2015

cciele , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I went to the T-Mobile store and they also said I would need to pay $15 for a new nano sim -- or they could cut it for me. So I had the T-Mobile guy do the trimming :)

I did, however, activate a second line on my OPO, and the sim for that was free ...

13. irishrally
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2015

irishrally , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Interesting, because the guy in the store wouldn't give me one for free in mid September but I called customer support and they credited me $15 because I've been a customer for a long time in good standing.

14. Synged
    Eclair Oct 1, 2015

Synged , Oct 1, 2015 :
    bastards charged me $15 for a new sim for my OP2 and i have been a customer since before they were tmobile

15. aspherical
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2015

aspherical , Oct 1, 2015 :
    AT&T corporate stores give free SIMs. Independent franchised locations charge for it. T-Mobile may be the same way.

16. GoldenBoyRB
    Lollipop Oct 1, 2015

17. joesweeney413
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2015

joesweeney413 , Oct 1, 2015 :
    thats weird as hell, kinda sounds like the sales guy wanted a few extra bucks, my cousin works at an AT&T and there is no such "admin fee" and said they have been giving out free sims for about 5 years now.

18. svash
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

svash , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I think I got thieved! :(

joesweeney413 likes this.
  19. blujadajhdja
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2015

blujadajhdja , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Wait, doesn't the OPO come with a nano SIM tray and a micro SIM tray so you can use either?

20. jdneilso
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

jdneilso , Oct 1, 2015 :
    When I ordered my Moto X Pure, they had an option to order a T-Mobile nano SIM for $5.00, so I took it! The one I had to buy for my Son's OP2 it was $15 at the T-Mobile store.