Tablet help

1. glock18
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2014

glock18 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    what screen size you searching?perfomance?8 inch 4:3 is ok for you?

Dwil23 likes this.
  2. deecee
    Eclair Jun 21, 2014

deecee , Jun 21, 2014 :
    I have a Galaxy Note 10.1, the original 3g (HSPA+) version and I LOVE IT! I did root it and don't run touchwiz. But I love the s-pen. I write notes just like I would on paper, but now they are searchable and can be tagged, etc. I can draw on the tablet. I use several note taking apps that let me both draw and have text. They require a learning curve, but....

Samsumg has several newer models, but except for the fact that I've filled it up with graphics apps, this tab runs just fine, even after a few drops.

The nice thing about it - it acts as a true phone. I can pop my phone sim in and I can call people, get notifications, etc. It looks funny, but sometime when phone battery has died, it has really come in handy.

My only problem, it has corrupted its sdcard twice. The last time was unrecoverable. backup is your friend.

I just picked up a dell venue pro 11 lte for the office. I'll be interested to see how that works in the business world.

Dwil23 likes this.
  3. Dwil23
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 21, 2014

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Not sure on the screen size, but it would have to be big enough to help me accomplish tasks like creating spread sheets, presentations, homework, reading, emails etc. Pretty much it would be my laptop away from home when I'm out and about. Performance is very important as well as memory and battery life.

4. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I use the S-Pen almost everyday on my device. The most frustrating thing about it is that it isn't big enough to store my files and it isn't big enough to do my spreadsheets and presentations on there either.

I haven't heard much about Note 10.1 but it sounds like it would be a really good extension of my Note 2 with a bigger screen, memory and the ability to do everything I need it to do.

But Touchwiz is a major stumbling block and I've never rooted my phone before. And with this new Kit-Kat update, my phone is running even slower now. But I will definitely look into this one as well.

5. deecee
    Eclair Jun 21, 2014

deecee , Jun 21, 2014 :
    The battery life on my samsung note 10.1 has been great. I don't do much with gps, but wifi is always on. even with apps like evernote that tend to keep the tab awake all the time I can go a full day without charging. The only time I run low is doing alot of presentation hosting.

The real con is Samsung's insistence on proprietary connections and the lack of ports on the tab. And they change from tab to tab. urghhhh!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

Dwil23 likes this.
  6. lo11
    Gingerbread Jun 21, 2014

lo11 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Nexus 7 is not large, and not expensive. It is great for browsing and reading books. Pretty handy. Not for productivity. Surface Pro (3) is a fabulous productivity device, and very expensive. If I were buying a laptop now, I would just love this machine. The two devices are totally different in fuctionality and 10-20 fold difference in price. There are in between devices: I use an Asus Transformer with a keyboard. Not great for productivity but can get things done. Get a cheap tablet the first time. You will get good use out of it.

Dwil23 likes this.
  7. deecee
    Eclair Jun 21, 2014

deecee , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Rooting was pretty easy and there are several good step by steps on the net. But you still have to deal with samsung's computer files either Kies or odin.(sp). Mine is the older model which you can get really good deals on now - even the data enabled version. It did not get updated to kitkat that I know of although there are custom kit kat roms for it. So you can pretty much choose what flavor you want to run. If you choose to root, will be more than happy to help. good luck with your looking.

I'm not normally a fanboy, but I really can't conceive of having a table without a pen/stylus after using this one.

Dwil23 likes this.
  8. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    How many ports are on it? And would I need to get a data plan for this tablet?

9. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Thanks for all of your help and advice.

10. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Thanks, I'll definitely consider the price range for my first tablet so I'm not overwhelmed.

11. glock18
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2014

glock18 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    for that you definately need windows RT tablet or better on real windows 8.atleast with atom 3740

Dwil23 likes this.
  12. deecee
    Eclair Jun 21, 2014

deecee , Jun 21, 2014 :
    It only has the samsung proprietary port. You charge through it and with several awkward attachments you can send to projectors or usb drives. But it is all through that one connection. And the normal 3m headphone jack. that's it. my major complaint.

My version is both wifi and data. Wifi works great and often I don't have sim card in it. but when I travel internationally, I often get a sim and pop it in. It is the unlocked international version. So it is pretty much up to you. In the states I have used both AT&T and TMo sims and since it is not an LTE it just hums along at HSPA+. fine for my mostly business needs, even with graphics.

So if you don't need the data capability you can save some $$ and just get the wifi version. The 2013 version being very reasonable now.

Dwil23 likes this.
  13. LifeinHD

LifeinHD , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Considering most people on here are attracted to best value for the specs, I'm probably not going to receive a lot of support for recommending the iPad Air. This is the only Apple product I own, other than my iPhone 4, which was a replacement for my Galaxy SII and I MISS the $%&# out of my android device. Now that I've proven I'm not an Apple sheep, this device is the lightest, best quality, most elegant tablet that makes you WANT to use it rather than sitting there to offer you the convenience of use. And needlessly to say, the customer service is flawless. Read the reviews. For phones, Apple products are usually rated highly, but rarely the best. For reviews on the iPad Air, it ranks consistently at the top.

Dwil23 likes this.
  14. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    I see. I could see that being a problem if I need more than one port (which I more than likely will). But other than that, it seems like a great tablet. I'll definitely add it to the list. Thank you!

15. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    I never considered an Apple product because I've never used IOS before. Thank you. I'll definitely consider it.

16. LifeinHD

May I also ask what you plan to use the tablet for? If it's anything like schoolwork or taking notes, Notability is hands down THE best app and is only available for IOS.

Dwil23 likes this.
  17. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    It'll basically be my laptop away from home. I'll be using it for business, school work, and entertainment.

18. LifeinHD

Also forgot to add this earlier: I'm not sure if Android tablets have a feature like "Find my iPad" and basically makes it of zero value to thieves because you can lock it remotely. So if Android doesn't have that feature you can be much more at peace with your iPad, in my opinion.

Dwil23 likes this.
  19. Dwil23

Dwil23 , Jun 21, 2014 :
    Never though about that! Being able to locate it and recover it is important.

20. averyvh
    Gingerbread Jun 21, 2014

averyvh , Jun 21, 2014 :
    i know I have that feature on my nexus 7. I can track it with GPS and set of the alarm on it remotely.

Dwil23 likes this.