50.0%
  3. Potatoe

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 7, 2021

Mr. BG , Feb 7, 2021 :
    I remember the old internet.

I was what you might call an early adopter, the gift from Tim Berners-Lee was nothing short of amazing, you could connect with people all around the world, most companies did not even have a website yet, social media and Big Tech didn't exist yet, it was just the evil Micro$oft empire, and the promise was we should be free.

FF 30 years and trackers are the new coyotes...

"Tim Berners-Lee’s intervention in debates about the destiny of the internet is a welcome development. Governments and communities are coming to realise that big tech’s data-driven digital dominance is unhealthy for society. Pods represent one answer among many to the question of how we should respond."

https://theconversation.com/tim-ber...ernet-give-us-back-control-of-our-data-154130

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Feb 7, 2021

Tokolozi , Feb 7, 2021 :
    My statement will be "Privacy is a modern myth people think they have"

_sreehari_, Serenia, borysq3 and 27 others like this.
  3. otto2
    Photography Expert Feb 7, 2021

otto2 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    As long as it s more convenient for masses to use the datakraken services ,as long it will stay as it is. 🧐

manuel19, MosheG1, TibiTibi and 11 others like this.
  4. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2021

luxuskamel , Feb 7, 2021 :
    The Internet is definitely too commercialized. I don't want Facebook, twitter, google analytics, etc integrated on every page. I don't want to see ads, I want privacy.
    Sadly I can't imagine a big change anytime soon within the next 5-10 years (well except Elon tweets about it :p).
    There are ideas and implementations of a "personal" and decentralized web

AzureB1te, Serenia, manuel19 and 13 others like this.
  5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Feb 7, 2021

Bouncer71 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    As long I can take a dump without needing the internet to wipe my a**, we're still save I guess..😅

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021

6. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2021

luxuskamel , Feb 7, 2021 :
    Oh you don't have a smart toilet with warmed seat, AI flushing, alert function, user differentiation for profile switching and a scale that is connected to your health app? :p :p

7. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 7, 2021

Mr. BG , Feb 7, 2021 :
    Arguments my dear...

Just because they took it from you doesn't mean they can keep it...

That's a fact, anything for convenience, but...

Not the point ;)

Exactly..

:D

8. EbyPrasad7
    Froyo Feb 7, 2021

manuel19 and otto2 like this.
  9. sumitMZ007
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 7, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    In the world of Internet, privacy is myth,when service is free then you are the product! Today many companies want's to connect everything with internet and make it work on single click! But what will happen if that Control goes in wrong hands and trillions of accounts will be vulnerable!

10. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2021

Bobbie63 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    Isn’t data the part where the internet thrives on nowadays? One could ask, who owns the internet, who sets the rules? It’s quite obvious the tech giants play a big role, as well as governments do, a role we all gave them permission to “take over” the internet and our daily life (maybe a bit exaggerated but in a way very true). The early cowboys became the tech giants they are nowadays, where growth relies on the dependence of it users.

I think it’s too late to go back, we all have (un)knowingly and (un)willingly and shared our data all over the internet and we don’t know what they do or will do with all the data they collected. I wouldn’t know how to turn this around as I wouldn’t know where, who and how this data is stored and what has already happened or will happen with.

Changing this would need to change the whole internet and all parties involved would have to change in a way they don’t want to as all their reason for existence will disappear.

11. otto2
    Photography Expert Feb 7, 2021

otto2 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    I do not agree at one point: Data is -for the big player companies-only interesting,if it s "fresh". Your Google searches from 2019 are not interesting anymore. So whenever you stop using Facebook,Google etc. And stop shopping at Amazon etc,and start using privacy tools, you re doing it right .

12. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Feb 7, 2021

Bobbie63 , Feb 7, 2021 :
    Stopping with google searches, Facebook, Twitter and stuff like that would work but only if everyone would do it. It’s just......people started to depend on it, even believe everything and that habit is difficult to break. As for fresh data, wouldn’t it be nice for them to know what the tendencies over years were and how they change. Using a well build history is a good format to forecast future developments and the more data you have the more accurate the forecast will be.

edit: but it’s not just tech giants, it’s also government departments, healthcare, financial institutions, just name it. They become more and more tied up together even without us knowing.

13. _abdul2311
    Froyo Feb 8, 2021

_abdul2311 , Feb 8, 2021 :
    We're too depend on internet now, cut it off for a day n that'll cause havoc...

Y1603743008207 likes this.
  14. NShankaraN
    Honeycomb Feb 8, 2021

NShankaraN , via OnePlus 5 , Feb 8, 2021 :
    The early adopters, the policy makers, the Governments, the tech giants they are all involved and responsible for the current state.
    I feel it's difficult to go back now. Privacy is a myth

15. Abdul Basith2
    Honeycomb Feb 8, 2021

16. Shivanya11
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2021

17. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Feb 8, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Feb 8, 2021 :
    We are definately used to Internet being with us... Remember that Google's server crash of few minutes spread on social media like a wildfire. Privacy needs to be looked upon by each one of us, individual efforts are not enough.

Taking the example of Voice Assistant, how many of us have Ok Google, Hey Siri or Alexa activation function activated. Don't u think something waiting for the command 24×7 is a lack of privacy??

18. Kvl_21
    Gingerbread Feb 8, 2021

19. Adarsh.Rangare
    Gingerbread Feb 8, 2021