Taste of Pie, Android 9 Community Beta for OnePlus 3/3T

1. Manu J. Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Apr 17, 2019

Manu J., Apr 17, 2019 :
    Forum-1080x554.png

Hey everyone,

We know everyone is excited to finally try the delicious Pie update on the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. Thanks to the feedback from our beta testers, we are getting closer to launching Android Pie on the OnePlus 3 and 3T.

Now, we would like to invite you to download and try the Community Build available here and continue to help us shaping the stable update. Anyone can try this build, but please have in mind it won’t be available via OTA, you’ll have to download and install it yourself.

Download Community Beta for OnePlus 3
    Download Community Beta for onePlus 3T

Those who download the Community Beta build will get OTA update when the stable build is released.

we look forward to hearing your continued feedback in the bug reporting forum here: https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/.

Changelog

• System
      • Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
      • Brand new UI for Android Pie
      • Updated Android security patch to 2019.4
    • Do Not Disturb mode
      • New Do Not Disturb mode with adjustable settings
    • New Gaming mode 3.0
      • Added text notification mode
      • Added notification for 3rd party calls
    • Phone
      • Deep integration with Google Duo
    • Camera
      • Integrated Google Lens mode
    Instructions for updating to the Community Build

For those on the latest stable version 181206
    Preconditions: Boot Loader should be locked

Steps:​
    1. Download the file from the link provided on the forum post
    2. Move the downloaded file to internal storage root folder using the File Manager.
    The device can then be updated via two methods.
    • First method: Local Update
    1. Open Settings -> System update -> Click top right setting icon
    2. Choose Local update
    3. Click on the downloaded file and wait until the device reboots
    • Second Method: Recovery Update
    1. Turn off the device -> Press power and volume up key simultaneously until the device enters the Fastboot Mode
    2. Navigate to Recovery option using volume and power button -> Choose English -> Install from Internal storage -> Select the downloaded zip file -> Select 'Yes'
    3. Wait until the installation is complete -> Reboot
    For those who are on the latest Open Beta version 180712
    Note: The entire data will be wiped since there will be a version transition from Open beta to the stable version. If you made a OnePlus Switch backup, be sure to make a copy of it before moving forward.
    Steps:
    1. Download the file form the link provided on the forum post
    2. Move the downloaded file to internal storage
    3. Device can be updated only via Recovery Update:
    • Turn off the device -> Press power and volume up key simultaneously until the device enters the Fastboot Mode
    • Navigate to Recovery option using volume and power button -> Choose English -> Install from Internal storage -> Select the downloaded zip file -> Select 'Yes'
    • Wait until the installation is complete -> Reboot
    Thank you once again for all your patience and we can’t wait to get your feedback.
    We are one step closer to releasing the Pie for OnePlus 3 / 3T, you can now download and try our community build right now.

Never Settle.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

2. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 17, 2019

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Threads aren't immediately visible. ;)

It's advisable to do so. You can use OnePlus Switch for that. Also, depending on the build you're coming from, you may lose data, as described above.

Yes, you will. This is just for those that want to try it before the official OTA rolls out.

3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 17, 2019

Stickied Post
    As it's clearly stated, in bold red letters:

4. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 17, 2019

Stickied Post
    As mentioned in the original post, you'll get the stable OTA from this once it's ready.

Open Beta for the OnePlus 3 and 3T has already ended a while back.

5. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 17, 2019

Stickied Post
    The original post answers that question in bold red letters:
    Preconditions: Boot Loader should be locked

6. B_Wrath Lollipop Apr 19, 2019

Stickied Post
    B_Wrath, Apr 19, 2019 :
    Answers to the most commonly and repeatedly asked questions!!

Q. Why is my brightness low after upgrading to Android Pie 9.0?

A:Google introduced new algorithm for the brightness which will give more control to the user specially in darker environments. The user have to train the brightness preferences for some time in different lighting conditions they use their device so that the device learns it and then adjusts the brightness automatically after that.
    More here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/behind-the-scenes-how-we-adapted-to-android-pie.909531/
    Thanks to
    @Gary C.

PS: Use browser to visit the link, Community app is not able to parse the link, throwing error "post cannot be found."

Q. Where is clear Cache in Android Pie?

A: Android Pie no longer incorporates the option to clear it in Settings. One has to clear cache by individual app now. However the option is still available in Recovery.

Cache's Explained Here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/caches-explained.828298/
    Credits to @elanglois

Q. Why is there no Digital Well-Being available in OnePlus 3/3T running Pie?

A:Digital Wellbeing is currently available only to Pixeldevices and Android One devices. This may change in near future and OnePlus devices may be added to its supported device list.

Q.Why is "X" app crashing in my phone running Android Pie?

A:Many apps are still not updated to support Android Pie, that is the reason they are not able to run in the new OS. Contacting the app developer will be much more helpful.

Q. My storage is showing extra space after update to Pie, why?

A:Android Pie also shows the space used by System thus showing the total available storage which was not visible in Oreo.

Q. Why is my battery draining so fast after update?

A: This is a major upgrade, you should give it some time to settle before the battery starts working normally. Also battery calibration is always a good way to get most out of it.
    You can charge your phone overnight after the update for it to optimize in the background. Please note: your device must be turned on while charging overnight.
    Thanks to @anupritaisno1 for pointing out the error.

Q. I do not like the new Recents layout, what can i do?

A: Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it. Its how Google designed it.

Q. Why don't i see new Pill Navigation Style / New Recents(Task Viewer)?

A: Sometimes update messes up app data and settings. To solve this clear OnePlus Launcher data and reboot the device. Also check for any updates on Play Store for OnePlus Launcher. Make sure the OnePlus Launcher version is 3.1.xx or above.

Note: OnePlus 3/T does not support new Gesture based Navigation officially.

Below is a workaround to get the pill navigation gestures on the OP3/T. It has worked for OP5 and same works on OP3/T. Attempt it at your own risk.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...ures-for-android-pie-in-oneplus-3-3t.1021523/

Thanks to @RogerOriginals for compiling the steps in a neat way.

Q. My Play Store is showing "uncertified" after i downgraded to stable, how can i solve it?

A: Clear Google Play Services data and Play store data and Reboot. Let Play store update automatically and it should change the status to Certified.

Q. Why cannot i use volume buttons to control the ringtone volume in Android Pie?

A.
    Google has made change to it, now we can change media volume by default. OnePlus has provided a shortcut to directly go into settings to make it easier to change the ringtone volume.

Q. Why my Fingerprint does not work, after my phone is in standby for long time?

A: The Fingerprint service goes to sleep and thus doesn't allow unlocking the phone.
    To avoid this, the current work-around it to turn Off Standby Optimization in Advanced Optimization Battery Settings or wake up the phone using Power button after long standby.

Q. Why does my Audio Tuner not working on Bluetooth?

A:
    Bluetooth Audio Tuner support is not yet part of this update, it may arrive in future updates. Its currently available for OP 6/T and will be eventually rolled out for OP3/T.

Q. Why did not i receive the update yet?

A:Its a beta build and you have to manually flash it. For further details, read the opening post carefully and in it's entirety.

Q. Will my OnePlus 3/3T support Dual 4G VoLTE after Pie?

A:
    No they will not. The Snapdragon 820/821 does not have required hardware to support Dual 4G VoLTE. Only one sim will be able to connect to 4G VoLTE at a time.

From Qualcomm: https://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/modems/comparison

https://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/modems/4g-lte/x12

Q. Why am I not able to use the mic on third party apps?

A: It seems to be a bug caused by Google voice match. There is a temporary fix which worked for OP6/T during the initial beta trials. Same temporary fix seems to work for OP3/T as well. Detailed method is provided in the below thread.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/temporary-fix-fix-the-mic-not-working-on-oos-pie-on-3-3t.1021061/

Thanks to @DarkSJ1998 for compiling the method with detailed screenshots.

These are the common questions and their answers, please feel free to add more.
    Anyone can read these and get their answers before making any bug reports.

Thanks to @camohan for putting the idea forward.
    Thanks to @FaleshC for compiling all the Q&A.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

7. Sun90 Starting Point Expert Apr 17, 2019

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

8. Arun Sharma Gingerbread Apr 17, 2019

9. G_Damiano_.Galano_QSWI Eclair Apr 17, 2019

10. G_Kunal_Gupta_uVji Eclair Apr 17, 2019

11. C_Aswin_Rajaa Cupcake Apr 17, 2019

12. Sun90 Starting Point Expert Apr 17, 2019

Sun90, Apr 17, 2019 :
    If you're on latest stable build of Oreo then no issue.
    A backup is always advisable though.

13. Sun90 Starting Point Expert Apr 17, 2019

Sun90, Apr 17, 2019 :
    You have to wait and see.

C_Aswin_Rajaa and otto2 like this.
  14. otto2 Lollipop Apr 17, 2019

otto2, Apr 17, 2019 :
    READ the opening post again, until you understand it.
    Hint: a backup should ALWAYS be done when changing software.

kpoyser, B.yashaswi and vitozappa like this.
  15. Arun Sharma Gingerbread Apr 17, 2019

Arun Sharma, Apr 17, 2019 :
    If don't install you will still get the pie OTA.

C_Aswin_Rajaa likes this.
  16. G_Kunal_Gupta_uVji Eclair Apr 17, 2019

G_Kunal_Gupta_uVji, Apr 17, 2019 :
    r u sure it won't earse anything plez help me cause i dnt want to loose my data its important

17. Sun90 Starting Point Expert Apr 17, 2019

Sun90, Apr 17, 2019 :
    What is the oxygenOS version on your phone?

18. Moin2200 KitKat Apr 17, 2019

Speedlover777 likes this.
  19. Sajwaz Froyo Apr 17, 2019

20. Pradeep@1+ Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

Pradeep@1+, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Great news and now more than 8 months of wait ends today. Thanks OP team for finally delivering Pie and also opening up for another beta program. [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

21. G_Kunal_Gupta_uVji Eclair Apr 17, 2019

F_Jan_Willems_cbEi likes this.
  22. AndreiRadu Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

23. devil112 Froyo Apr 17, 2019

24. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2019

Maverick2.0, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Absolutely! This should not even be a question - especially with such a major firmware update.

jasprjay, deligarbur and otto2 like this.
  25. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2019