#TBT OnePlus 5 - Has it withstood the test of time?

?

What do you think of OP5 in 2020?

1. A trusty spare.

30.8%
  2. Still have it.

69.2%
  3. Meh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Feb 27, 2020

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    20200227_192207_0000.png
    Shot on OP7 Pro by @razzor228
    Hello Community,
    Recently, I happend to stumble on a thread that I created a while ago but forgot to publish.
    However, better late than never, what would be better day than a Thursday for a throwback? :p

Throwback time 😉

OnePlus has made some pretty good phones in the past. I've owned a few of them but if there is anything that I truly enjoyed using, it was the OnePlus 5! (Except once when they launched the 5T at the same price :sob: )
    Its been a while since the OP5. I used the op6 for a breif period, then I stuck with the 6T for quite some time until I finally got the 7T, my current daily driver. But something hasn't changed, my plus one phone has always been the OnePlus 5.

Screenshot_20200319-145214.jpg

When the OnePlus 5 came out I needed it. It was on my mind for quite some time. I remember visiting the OnePlus website very often and if the promo video / advertisement....., I watched it soooo many times! :p
    One thing that immediately caught my attention was, "3 years in the making" undoubtedly a lot of time and effort had been invested into the OP5 and the fact that they were skipping a number (4) it had to be an absolute banger!

It's funny that a product is not even used for the time, that has gone into making it, but that's how you itch to upgrade to the latest and greatest stuff, I guess. :p

The OnePlus 5 isn't 3 years old yet, unfortunately it had to retire before it could celebrate it's 3rd year anniversary with me. That aside, how good is the OnePlus 5 in 2020? Does it stand the test of time?
    Let's find out ;)

Performance:
    Screenshot_20200319-145158.jpg

The OnePlus 5 was initially released in June 2017, an similar to every other flagship it was the greatest of it's time. Well atleast on paper, it was.
    For refreshers here are the specs:
    Albeit, they are not 2020ish by any means it still gets the job done.

The OnePlus 5 can run PUBG, Call Of Duty, NFS or any other graphically demanding game with ease.
    It tends to get slightly hot during prolonged usage but I did not notice any drop in frame rate. The game does run smoothly. You can further enhance your gaming experience by using the gaming mode that's baked into the OS.

The main contributor, apart from the processor responsible for the smooth performance, is the software. Oxygen OS gets the best out of Android, is bloatware free* and has the nifty additions that make the experience better.

Cameras:
    Screenshot_20200319-145437.jpg

The OnePlus 5, was the first camera centric phone from OnePlus. The addition of an extra sensor and software tweaks made it clear that OnePlus has focused on the part of the phone that matters!

While the camera while was much better compared to the previous generation phones it was lagging when compared to the competition. There wasn't much left to do on the hardware front, the software simply wasn't there yet. However, 2.5 years later the OnePlus 5 has received many updates and some did focus on the camera. It has certainly gotten better and takes some decent images.

Battery:
    Screenshot_20200319-150347.jpg

The OP5 has only a 3,300mAh battery, it may seem small, but the OnePlus 5 has only a 1080P 60Hz screen, unlike the phones of today which have higher refreshes rates and higher resolutions. The phone lasted for about a day during my use and dash charging greatly reduced charging times.

I experienced faster battery drain in the past year, after ruling out the possibility of it being a result of a newer s/w version, I replaced the battery which solved the issue. It was a fairly inexpensive fix that greatly impacted battery life.

Durability:
    Screenshot_20200319-145335.jpg
    Call me butter fingers, but no matter how good care I take of my phone, I always tend to crack/break the display. Surprisingly enough the display of my OP5 never broke/cracked, even after suffering multiple drops. Maybe I got lucky but the phone itself is very well built. Made out of anodized aluminum the phone even passed Zack's durability test!

However, the phone's paint did chip when I slapped a case on it.

How does it compare to the phone I use currently?

20200227_210122_0000.png
    Well, the OnePlus 7T is definitely better than the OP5 in many ways, but there are some things that I miss. For starters, I had grown very fond of the ceramic finger print scanner. I must acknowledge that during my period of usage, it worked flawlessly unlocking swiftly every single time!
    When I shifted from the OnePlus 5 to the 6, I did miss the capacitive buttons on the OP5, but now that I am using the gestures on my 7T, I love the extra screen space that I have due to the lack of a nav bar / physical buttons.

The biggest difference between the OP5 and the 7T has to be the display, not only is it a lot bigger but it is better and like Pete likes to call it, is a lot smoooother :p
    90hz + A properly installed display compared to the upside down display on the OP5, definitely feels and looks great!

Another significant upgrade comes in the form of speakers. Now is the time of stereo speakers that offer an immersive surround sound effect and the single bottom firing speaker on the OP5 could only do little, when it wasn't blocked by the hand.

The OnePlus 5 might be reminiscent of the iPhone 7+ but eventhough I used the iPhone 7+ and the OP5 alternatively, I never thought they looked the same. Maybe it's just me, but that's what I felt. Simply, holding it in the hand felt so good. The horizon line made a huge difference.

The OnePlus 5 was also made available in a limited edition soft gold color and a special JCC+ edition.
    OnePlus-5-JCC-13.jpg

ICYMI: There were many prototypes before narrowing down on the OnePlus 5's final design

OnePlus-5-prototypes-The-Verge-1000x667.jpg
    Courtesy: Verge
    How does the OnePlus 5 hold up in 2020? Does it stand the test of time?

One word, YES! The OnePlus 5 is still a pretty good phone on 2020. The overall design, the physical buttons and fingerprint scanner, a headphone jack and a decent camera all together make for a great phone. Well I must say OnePlus has invested 3 years into making a great phone. It will soon™ receive Android 10 and that should make the experience even better!
    If there is anything that I do not like about the OP5 it is the huge bezels. Looking constantly at a bezel-less display does that to you, I guess :p
    It would make for a great spare phone to say the least :)
    I'm sure @Venky61 and @razzor228 would agree :p

How's your OnePlus 5 holding up? Why not show off with some cool pictures?
    Looking forward to seeing some splendid shots of a great phone ;)

Never Settle and remember, focus on what matters :cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020

2. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Feb 27, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Very interesting read, even when I never owned/used/saw this phone :rolleyes:

I feel very identified with your "obsession" with this phone. I had the same since the OnePlus 7 Pro was released until I got it...

I love those color accents and how thin it is! Probably I would have got one if I didn't have my eyes in other places :p

Great job my friend. Can't wait to see your next creations! :cool:

3. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 27, 2020 :
    I sold mine a while ago, I'n my opinion it's still the best oneplus phone I've had... Loved the aluminium body, could use it without a case without worrying that it would be to fragile.
    The battery live was amazing on mine even after over 2 years of use... Solid 8+hrs of SOT on almost every charge cykle

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  4. F1582040767103
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  5. YRJ

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    One of the many reasons why I loved the phone!
    Next one coming in real soon ;) it's a different kind of thread :D
    Cannot agree more :)
    I did get almost the same sot until the battery started acting crazy. But it was back to normal after replacement.

Liehjan and B.I.T.S. like this.
  6. YRJ

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Sorry, I do not understand.
    Do you have a display issue on your OnePlus 5T? (The phone from which you are posting this?)
    If yes, you will have to provide more details about the exact issue.

G_plusone likes this.
  7. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 27, 2020 :
    The op5 had the display upside down, luckily my eyes couldn't see the so called "jelly" effect

G_plusone likes this.
  8. YRJ

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    I think he has the 5T, does the 5T have the same jelly effect? :eek:

9. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 27, 2020

Moin2200 , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Maybe he is referring to the jittering lag/scrolling issue that people were complained about after it launched?

G_plusone likes this.
  10. YRJ

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Did the 5T have it too? :eek:
    I thought it was exclusive to the OP5.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020

11. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 27, 2020

Personally I see the 3T as one of my most favorite oneplus phones.
    The insane developer support from xda.
    Coupled with an decently upgraded battery from the 3 made this phone a modding champ and still miss using it to this day.

Bouncer71 and YRJ like this.
  12. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 27, 2020

With the 5T there were some talk about touch latency. :confused:

13. YRJ

YRJ , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Oh! I prolly missed that one :sweatsmile:

14. BeingIncog
    Nougat Feb 27, 2020

BeingIncog , Feb 27, 2020 :
    false or maybe i didn't felt like that.

F1582040767103 likes this.
  15. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 27, 2020

Personally the developers i had been following on google plus all supported this phone. CypherOS was my favorite.
    It did take a few months before the 3T really started getting more support but i still stand by my statement that i personally enjoyed the mods that were available for this device.

BeingIncog likes this.
  16. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 27, 2020 :
    No it doesn't, didn't notice that he posted from a 5t ;)

YRJ likes this.
  17. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Feb 28, 2020

YRJ , Feb 28, 2020 :
    I thought that they put the display upside down even on the 5T :p

B.I.T.S. likes this.
  18. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Feb 28, 2020

the_o2 , Feb 28, 2020 :
    Almost 3 years and still using OP5 as my one and only phone, still playing PUBG atleast 2hrs a day, battery is still good but not that great obviously,
    Never purchased OP5 for camera ;);) so never regretted :cool::cool:.
    And have 50% off on battery replacement so it can make it one more year:) or will buy 8T/RealMe/RoG/IQOO/POCO if I save some money in future as the EOL of OP 5 is near....
    Nice review BTW :D

B.I.T.S., G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  19. BeingIncog
    Nougat Feb 28, 2020

BeingIncog , Feb 28, 2020 :
    Strange, I got notification today also for the post posted yesterday.

20. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 28, 2020

Moin2200 , Feb 28, 2020 :
    Funny same thing happened to me.

BeingIncog likes this.