Tension reducer (not advertising)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vakamahorika
    Froyo Mar 9, 2015

vakamahorika , Mar 9, 2015 :
    I agree that we shouldn't take things too seriously, but at the same time it would pay good heed to mind the repercussions of our actions. While we don't mean offense and don't take offense easily ourselves, to expect that others not take offense because you did not mean it becomes somewhat of a tall order, don't you think?

While we should learn to take things less seriously, shouldn't we also be more sensitive to things others take seriously? Perhaps religion might not mean as much to some of us as it means to others, but should we not accord them a certain level of respect?

I personally grew up in a racially tolerant and diverse society... if there's one thing I've learnt is that tolerance AND sensitivity go a long way in bringing peace and prosperity.

2. Ismael Bakshi
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2015

Ismael Bakshi , Mar 9, 2015 :
    Allah = god (arabic)
    & muslims believe in the same god as jews & Christians
    The holy sanctity of both moses (PBUH) & christ (PBUH) is respected & accepted with just minor disagreements

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  3. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Mar 9, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , Mar 9, 2015 :
    No idea what you said I'm not educated on religion at all, and I honestly couldn't care less, but to each their own :)

I'm sorry.

4. Baymax
    Marshmallow Mar 9, 2015

Baymax , Mar 9, 2015 :
    I seem to offended some unintentionally >.<
    How about another joke called Dog Named 'Salesman'

A keen sportsman spent the weekend at a hunting lodge and bagged a record number of birds with the help of a dog named “Salesman”.

A keen sportsman spent the weekend at a hunting lodge and bagged a record number of birds with the help of a dog named “Salesman”.

The man was so impressed that when making his reservation for the following year, he specifically requested the services of the same dog.

“Too bad,” said the lodge manager. “Six months ago, someMoroff who was here kept calling the dog “Sales Manager” by mistake. Now all he does is sit on his tail and bark.”

Sure hope I didn't offend any dogs

sloganc69 and LostPorcupine like this.
  5. Jael Pendragon
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

Jael Pendragon , Mar 9, 2015 :
    You're lucky in not having been religion brainwashed, don't be sorry about it

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  6. LGiusep
    Donut Mar 9, 2015

LGiusep , Mar 9, 2015 :
    Hell no. For truth's sake Jesus is a bare human at the eyes of Israel.
    He is not even a prophet neither had ever had some God related characteristic.

7. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

LostPorcupine , Mar 9, 2015 :
    100% agree that it has to be considered by the person presenting also. Be mindful of the people around you. It takes both sides, it really does.
    I somewhat take (what appears to be) the South Park stance; maintain a degree of respect for everything while making light of it. If you're going to pick fun at someone else or their beliefs, make sure you're able and even doing the same to yourself. It's the difference between humor and a personal attack to me.

vakamahorika likes this.
  8. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

Realistically, I wish more people would take this stance.

@rag3 So much for lightening things up; I think you started a philosophical conversation.

9. Baymax
    Marshmallow Mar 9, 2015

Baymax , Mar 9, 2015 :
    I admit I am Christian. But I am not biased when it came to the original joke. Honestly I could not see a bunch of the events in the joke as anything that I could hear even biblical characters saying. It pokes fun at my religion in that remark, but I am not offended :)

10. Baymax
    Marshmallow Mar 9, 2015

Baymax , Mar 9, 2015 :
    Yeah. and honestly it was by complete accident that it elevated like this.

LostPorcupine likes this.
  11. sloganc69
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2015

sloganc69 , Mar 9, 2015 :
    Some people need to lighten up and laugh a little. Not everything is meant to offend you.

12. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

I'm agnostic, so it's very unlikely for this joke to offend me on religious grounds; I'd be more likely offended by the assertion that Obama is Muslim simply due to respect toward him, though I again don't care if he's Muslim, Christian, or a Wiccan (talk about an interesting idea there).
    I love that the joke has the potential to catch so many groups of different types off guard, to the point where it almost contradicts itself.

Master Hand likes this.
  13. vakamahorika
    Froyo Mar 9, 2015

vakamahorika , Mar 9, 2015 :
    I fully agree with that stance; nevertheless there are 2 flaws associated with this:

1. What you are willing to accept doesn't mean others are willing to (similarly, what others are willing to accept might not be something you're willing to - a good example would be suicidal bombers)
    2. It is easy to not feel the effect of a divisive joke when you are part of a majority; oftentimes it is easy to accept a racist joke when you are part of the racial majority, but when you move to an area where you happen to be the racial minority you may very quickly find that you start to take offense to the same jokes you once so lightly brushed off. I'm not even faffing this, I've experienced this myself and heard plenty from others who have done so.

Yes, I really wish for a world that takes things more casually. I really do. But in absence of it, perhaps those of us in a better position to may play a greater role in maintaining the fragile peace we enjoy :)

Master Hand and LostPorcupine like this.
  14. EpicSwirly
    Mar 9, 2015

EpicSwirly , Mar 9, 2015 :
    I just want to say that while I haven't read all the replies I want people to remember that this was done in a good intention. Humor has no boundaries. People need to realize that the joke was not meant to offend anyone. It was more of a satirical position based on different things. I myself find this joke to not be offensive and neither should you. In the end it's a joke, that was meant to make people laugh. If you feel offended I apologize but you shouldn't. If the joke had been the other way around people would have still be offended. This joke was meant to make people say "that's messed up" and laugh. It was not meant of people to be philosophical. In the end , no one wanted to offend anyone and its just a joke like any other.

meatandy and LostPorcupine like this.
  15. addam
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

16. coverco
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2015

coverco , Mar 9, 2015 :
    "Suicidal bombers" now that really made me laugh, if you don't know why you need to go to English class lol

17. Jael Pendragon
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

Excessive politically correctness will destroy our freedom

18. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

I'm actually REALLY surprised that it seems no one has jumped in and said "That's offensive to me, you suck!" People have stayed calm and debated and talked respectfully. I think this thread is a first for the internet.

19. gagash3d
    Gingerbread Mar 9, 2015

gagash3d , Mar 9, 2015 :
    That's offensive to me, you suck!!!!!

20. Jael Pendragon
    KitKat Mar 9, 2015

Jinxing it? :p