Thank for the amazing OnePlus 8 but to be honest I am disappointed. via OnePlus 8

1. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 23, 2020

Siddharth_DashS , via OnePlus 8 , May 23, 2020 :
    I brought my OnePlus 8 through Amazon on 18th of May straight at 12 as much awaited. It arrived today (23rd May).

To my horrors the camera was not up to the mark, I have tried testing the camera through the apps like AIDA64 , Device info and others
    1590255730963.jpg

1590256126118.jpg

I have attached the observed results above.
    It shows Rear camera as 12 MP and front as 4.1, additionally it also doesn't detect the camera id as it would on a OnePlus 7 as SONYIMX ( please find the image below for OnePlus 7).

1590256371800.jpg
    I have tried the software in other phones like Samsung , RedMi Note and others, the result have proven that are the accurate specs as mentioned in the box and advertised.

This is indeed a shocking start . pray to be wrong. I am worried that I have a conterfiet lot. please kindly contact me at the earliest.
    Requesting team to kindly intervene and take actions for a loyal OnePlus customer.

Also to the community members, please kindly do let me know if anyone else have come across such issues with latest OnePlus 8 lot in India.

thanks and regards,
    siddharth Dashsharma,
    India.

Last edited: May 23, 2020

2. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean May 23, 2020

GuitarHero0179 , May 23, 2020 :
    This is a community forum, so quickly delete your phone number. Contact service via the official oneplus.in site and verify your IMEI via the site

Siddharth_DashS likes this.
  3. Daldim
    Cupcake May 23, 2020

4. Y1588008539007
    Cupcake May 24, 2020 at 1:15 AM

5. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM

Siddharth_DashS , via OnePlus 8 , May 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM :
    is their any third party tools that detects these IMX sensor of Sony... even RedMi Note shows specs .I wonder what is up with one plus.
    I was asked to visit the nearest service center to have this checked, but sadly no help can come due to Corona.
    Can any ONEPLUS 8 users PLEASE check this out.

6. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM

Siddharth_DashS , via OnePlus 8 , May 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM :
    please do kindly suggest if anyone has bought a OnePlus 8, if they too are getting the same results.
    I have tried calling up the customer service, they said to visit the nearest service center to check. Sadly due to the pandemic it's is closed.
    I have no way to know if my machine is genuine or if I received a misplaced hardware ..

please do suggest me a tool to check the hardware.

I will have to return if nothing comes for help. [e]1f494[/e][e]1f494[/e][e]1f494[/e][e]1f494[/e]

7. BeingIncog
    Nougat May 24, 2020 at 8:25 AM

BeingIncog , May 24, 2020 at 8:25 AM :
    can you check this app? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.andr7e.deviceinfohw&hl=en
    check camera section, click on hardware...

8. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 24, 2020 at 8:33 AM

9. BeingIncog
    Nougat May 24, 2020 at 8:36 AM

BeingIncog , May 24, 2020 at 8:36 AM :
    oh sorry, click on supported cameras... maybe search for the sensor if it's Quad Bayer tech!!!

10. G1560629735864
    Froyo May 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM

G1560629735864 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM :
    Hi. I used the app a guy recommended to you and I am getting nearly the same info as you. I was wondering whether it only sees the default setting which is 12 MP. But I don't know enough and now I am worried because my unit is having awful results in photography. I also got my phone via Amazon soon as it was released. It is the 5g version.

amitdate and Siddharth_DashS like this.
  11. SurajLoharia
    KitKat May 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM

12. dhawalbshah
    Donut May 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM

dhawalbshah , via OnePlus 5 , May 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM :
    shocking ....seems OnePlus is nomore the same it was...I have also reported the problem but no one had come forward till date...
    poorest service...
    with your review I m stepping back from buying OnePlus devices now..
    me n my family having all the models of OnePlus starting from OnePlus 2...
    seems it's time to say goodbye to OnePlus

Dhawal Shah

13. G1560629735864
    Froyo May 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM

G1560629735864 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM :
    It seems OP7 Pro was the last great phone. They tried too hard to push boundaries with the OP8 Pro and offer the most so they could excuse the high pricing point but failed. It is really sad. I bet every worker was pushed to breaking point; add the Coronavirus to the mix and you can see how a May launch was not the best idea. They should have held off a bit till they were confident in their product.

Reg support, in my case they took some time responding but they did respond. Sadly they needed phone logs and for me to reproduce the steps that led to bad photography. The process looked too complicated to me. And time consuming. Considering I don't get paid to be a tester or get any reward for highlighting issues, there is not much incentive to spend my day working for them. It may sound harsh but as a customer, I have high expectations.

What is annoying is that video is good! The sound is excellent! But how many videos dies one make compared to photographs?

14. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 24, 2020 at 6:39 PM

Siddharth_DashS , via OnePlus 8 , May 24, 2020 at 6:39 PM :
    I am sure OnePlus will definitely take charge on this.
    if this is a case of pixel binning then ,I wonder how 7 series are showing accurate results.
    View attachment 1318846
    above is of 7T/pro.
    I was told that since the device has 6 P lens so the old hardware info apps might not be detecting it..we need check if the new Sony sensor on the main camera is being detected by any any other app.. or are these app detecting the sensor in other devices.

thanks and regards,
    siddharth.

15. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Froyo May 25, 2020 at 3:12 PM

JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 25, 2020 at 3:12 PM :
    I don't know why the concern. I have the OnePlus 8 Pro, and the app also reports that my camera is 12MP, when it absolutely is 48MP.

I can easily test that fact simply by taking images at both 12MP and 48MP, and visually comparing the difference in resolution. And there is quite a difference when you zoom in. Not to mention, I can simply check image metadata, which states resolutions of 12MP and 48MP respectively.

Clearly the applications are not correctly reporting back the camera details. It's most likely reporting back the default camera setting of 12MP (after pixel binning). Those applications also only list a single rear camera. Should I take it to mean that OnePlus also lied to me about the existence of the other three rear cameras on my phone?
    It's really of no concern.

SamTheGamer39 likes this.
  16. Mr West
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 26, 2020 at 8:16 AM

Mr West , May 26, 2020 at 8:16 AM :
    Can I just ask, did you actually try and take any photos? As opposed to diving into a third party application to check the camera specs? I highly doubt OnePlus would send out a device with cameras which don't meet the advertised specifications. The results shown are the Pixel binned output, it may well be that the OnePlus 8 uses a slightly different structure and the application needs to be updated by the developers.

Applications like this are the thief of joy - why not just enjoy the phone as it is instead of double checking pointless applications such as this.

It's never just about the camera, it's possible to achieve great results with both of the new 8 series devices.

Drama over nothing here, just get out and enjoy taking some pictures 👍👍

script and Y1530728887799 like this.
  17. Siddharth_DashS
    Donut May 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM

Siddharth_DashS , via OnePlus 8 , May 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM :
    Thank you for the assurance. it's a total thief of joy I agree and I do understand that once the service center opens due after the corona lockdown , I will will be able to verify this .
    That's what's I am on.. There is lot of noise where the pictures are maximized. and also photos are overexposed. I will upload a few so you can help confirming too .

never settle and more positive..!!

Attached Files:

18. G1560629735864
    Froyo May 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM

G1560629735864 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM :
    From what he wrote, it is clear he did take pictures and he said he us disappointed. Why are you disputing his experience?

I also have tried the phone and it is sub par to the OP7 Pro that I owned previously. I cannot take one good picture with it! It seems the field is too narrow and every thing away from the point where it looks focussed is soft focus with details disappearing in difficult lighting situations. eg I took selfies in front of a window and I am missing a triangle off my head! That is on the proper camera, not the portrait mode. Food photography is horrendous with the camera unable to focus clearly as it gets distracted by the steam or light bounce back. And wide angle photography produces distortions at the edges. I tried the same photographs with the iPhone 11 Pro and apart from the wide angled photography which suffers the same distortion, all other pictures were spot on.

So it is either those of us who bought the highest spec phones sat launch got a bad batch or those who extol the OP8 Pro have not really used it or do not know a good photography. But I choose to take the first reason and not the latter. Bad phone. If OP were Apple, it would be a simple case of popping into the store and doing a straight swap to see if things were better. But OP is leaving Europe anyway so it is unlikely they will ever have service and support centres.

19. Mr West
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Mr West , May 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM :
    In his post he says he tested the camera hardware with these pointless apps, it doesn't mention anywhere that he took photos.

He's talking about the standard OnePlus 8, but you refer to the OnePlus 8 Pro. Both can take excellent images, it's never just the camera - users need to learn how to take better photos instead of just relying on the device to do all the work. This applies to every phone, not even the iPhone 11 Pro is perfect - I've been using one since it released and there's plenty of things Apple need to improve on.

Have you got any examples you'd be happy to share to show the poor results you mentioned?

20. G1560629735864
    Froyo May 27, 2020 at 12:20 AM

G1560629735864 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 27, 2020 at 12:20 AM :
    I have sent samples to OP and was told to return the handset. I know how to take pictures. It is the phone that has the problem, not me. I just bought an S20+ and the photos are much better! Also the app shows the correct number of cameras and specs. But even though the S20+ is a good phone, it is not a OP phone. It has a thin charging cable. It doesn't have the user friendliness of the OP phones. And at 60 Hz it is quite cumbersome and jittery compared to the OP8 Pro. Seems only the iPhone 11 Pro had smooth and fast scrolling. There are things to like and dislike on all phones. I wish OP had given a bit more time to testing and fine-tuning their flagship!