The 2018 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

1. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2018

2. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 16, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Thank you @izzykasha for your thread and all your lovely words.
    Thanks for the hard work both of you and sir @superplus and @eye842 for the states.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    So, Were you wrong :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

4. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    This is one of the best thread of my life.
    I meet so many people here, and got trapped inside here :D
    Always put my phone in my hand during the match time.
    Yep, my country was not there in the world cup but I never feel so.
    This place is nothing less than home we had a captain @script here, sad to see his avatar :oops:

And I love you all guys :):)

5. Never Subtle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2018

6. Never Subtle

7. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2018

Cito.Melz , Jul 16, 2018 :
    izzykasha

Well what an amazing World Cup this has been. The underdogs World Cup for sure and some of the smallest population nations exceeding beyond all expectation and I can truly say I have enjoyed every minute of it for a number of reasons I will mention later.

First the prizes

For winning the full prediction table. Leading from the beginning and never letting anyone get close @script you my friend have won mine and others adoration for your octopus like prediction skills and how we have followed you in your car before,during and in between games from one news story to the next...will he or will he not get home was strangely on my mind for a great deal of the matches. Thankfully you saw most and if you missed anything well the commentary here was very strong for a recap

For winning the elimination prediction table and taking a massive 6 points from the last 3 predictions you saved your best til last @Cito.Melz .If I remember correctly you changed your prediction method to the day of the match and that was it No looking back victory was yours! Sadly no oneplus 6 prize again but a place in the hall of fame top of the pile.

So many memories where do I start

@Matt80 the first poster on the thread predicting a Brazil win and England to the QF’s, it was strangely nearly the other way round

From then you all started to trickle in, drawn in thinking might as well have a look put my prediction in for a winner but quickly the chat and banter between real football fans got going @Android-Andi @Qu1cKy @script @cheetodust @superplus @pablofg1978 @Dresa91 @eye842 here you were on the 15th /16th June and the fire had been lit on the thread! And suddenly we were all putting scores on games

Hold up I thought, working on some numbers for work at the time, let’s have a cheeky little spreadsheet!! That sealed our fates, nothing like a little spreadsheet, football, banter and talk of beer and food to bring so many people from so many different countries together.

Then the real fun started it was France V Australia and the start of in-game commentary and the immortal word were.....”Holy moly,what a save” by you guessed it @Cheetosdust followed closely by @Dresa91 “That was Close” Then we reeled in another member of the community one that would become one of the most active on the thread @the_o2 we caught another one fellas this one knows his football I thought!

And so we continued match to match, predicting, discussing, just having fun, reliving past victories for our respective nations and sharing each other’s agony and joy when we knew their nation was playing.

@ariblaze and @Cito.Melz joined us on the 17th June and they were straight in, predictions, banter, we instantly knew Argentina was the team for Cito “Vamos Vamos Argentina” he would add...then the insights we all knew Messi wasn’t working properly and we shared your agony as he didn’t get the World Cup he deserved.

On the 19th June @superplus offered to hook me up !!!!!! I hate read it twice and then realized he wanted to hook my spreadsheet up (not the first time I’ve played goose to maverick sadly) and superstats were born (I guess what do you expect from someone with super in their forum name) and an amazing array of prediction stats were born and basically another way to show I’m crap at predictions but I can predict a lot so it’s the trying that counts!

@Slatter191 joined us on the 21st June and was instantly shouting Croatia’s praises....boy was he right !! @NeverGiveUpOnYourDreams popped in too unaware his chats with Matt, Cheetos, ariblaze,Slatter had made this thread apart of his World Cup

@buntycubal joined us on the 22nd June and predicted a Vietnam win, I had to check the teams again for my own sanity and suddenly you were apart of the group and you never let us down match after match after match

@piccionel came a bit later and exploded on the thread, I think that was the easy nature, just football, say what you like, it’s just a game after all.....the beautiful game

So many highs and lows to mention and yes this was one of the best World Cups I have ever seen but it was made 200% better with all of you in this thread. I have met so many people on this forum I wouldn’t have normally and I feel I know you all that little bit better with what you left here, your hearts on your sleeve as they say her in England. We all shared the joy and the tears and it was worth every moment for me.

@Never Subtle @viking_vp3 @NotSherlock @Liehjan @Tom_lecter no forgetting you guys either I could go on for hours.

Simply put it was a pleasure the whole time so thank you all so much and finally congratulations to France and Croatia what a final game that was!

Loving every bit of this post right now because it captures the essence of everything we all shared this past month. It was definitely my pleasure to be a part of this thread, the back and forth, the ups and downs, the passion and the love. Overall the unity this sport causes throughout the world is amazing and this thread captured that.

All in all something we've all learned is that the world cup isn't deserved, it is earned through winning.. it isnt about having the better ball possession, handling the ball better, or having better collective ball management, or even having the best individualities in your team.. it's about winning.. winning! winning! winning!! winning!!! & winning!!

Yes, having a team that manages the ball well and keeps good ball possession and has great individualities helps a lot in order to reach that win.. but it all really comes down to understanding each other as a team.. to find that pace and that style of play that will be most effective even if not the prettiest.. cause in order to win, the ball must go in!

France started off being a bit more offensive during group stages and it didn't work out for them. They were messy and none of their individualities shone. But once in the knockout out rounds, they realized playing defensively and taking advantage of Mbappe's explosiveness for counterattacking was the way they were going to win.. & it worked.

Do I consider that style of play pretty? Not at all.. But that was the only way all of them finally synced with each other..

Congratulations France! From the bottom of my heart, Congratulations!

To all of you who followed this thread closely.. who were a part of this thread.. this community of passionate football fans.. thank you soo much for being a part. Just like coming to an understanding between teammates leads to being the victorious team as was in France's case, well we all here won as well because we were all on the same page. On the same understanding, that this is not just a sport.. this is a lifestyle.
    A lifestyle in which many give it their all to stand by their colors, their team, their zone, their culture, their language and their pride but at the same time share with the rest of the world to make this place a colorful one.

Thanks everybody. Can't wait for the next tournament!

8. piccionel

piccionel , Jul 16, 2018 :
    @izzykasha Thanks for sharing the brief story of the thread seen by it's creator. First long post I read with such pleasure.
    I just wish to thank all the guys in here for that.
    I have no words to say how much more all of you meant for me enjoying this WC at a totaly different level of excitment. With you football was way better.

9. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    When I saw it first, I thought why you just pasted Izzy's post o_O
    When I scroll down then I get to know that, it's community app's fault :D:D
    Yep, waiting for next tournament :cool:

10. script
    Moderator Moderator Jul 16, 2018

script , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Just had a thought: this thread is like a team, plus some great individuals, and when all this comes together in a really good mixture, it leads to the champion du monde for France, and can also get you to the hall of fame.

11. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

12. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Jul 16, 2018

13. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 16, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    :)
    See you in 4 years :)

14. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Thank you too, it's always great pleasure to meet a person like you:)

15. Qu1cKy
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2018

Qu1cKy , Jul 16, 2018 :
    izzykasha

Well what an amazing World Cup this has been. The underdogs World Cup for sure and some of the smallest population nations exceeding beyond all expectation and I can truly say I have enjoyed every minute of it for a number of reasons I will mention later.

First the prizes

For winning the full prediction table. Leading from the beginning and never letting anyone get close @script you my friend have won mine and others adoration for your octopus like prediction skills and how we have followed you in your car before,during and in between games from one news story to the next...will he or will he not get home was strangely on my mind for a great deal of the matches. Thankfully you saw most and if you missed anything well the commentary here was very strong for a recap

For winning the elimination prediction table and taking a massive 6 points from the last 3 predictions you saved your best til last @Cito.Melz .If I remember correctly you changed your prediction method to the day of the match and that was it No looking back victory was yours! Sadly no oneplus 6 prize again but a place in the hall of fame top of the pile.

So many memories where do I start

@Matt80 the first poster on the thread predicting a Brazil win and England to the QF’s, it was strangely nearly the other way round

From then you all started to trickle in, drawn in thinking might as well have a look put my prediction in for a winner but quickly the chat and banter between real football fans got going @Android-Andi @Qu1cKy @script @cheetodust @superplus @pablofg1978 @Dresa91 @eye842 here you were on the 15th /16th June and the fire had been lit on the thread! And suddenly we were all putting scores on games

Hold up I thought, working on some numbers for work at the time, let’s have a cheeky little spreadsheet!! That sealed our fates, nothing like a little spreadsheet, football, banter and talk of beer and food to bring so many people from so many different countries together.

Then the real fun started it was France V Australia and the start of in-game commentary and the immortal word were.....”Holy moly,what a save” by you guessed it @Cheetosdust followed closely by @Dresa91 “That was Close” Then we reeled in another member of the community one that would become one of the most active on the thread @the_o2 we caught another one fellas this one knows his football I thought!

And so we continued match to match, predicting, discussing, just having fun, reliving past victories for our respective nations and sharing each other’s agony and joy when we knew their nation was playing.

@ariblaze and @Cito.Melz joined us on the 17th June and they were straight in, predictions, banter, we instantly knew Argentina was the team for Cito “Vamos Vamos Argentina” he would add...then the insights we all knew Messi wasn’t working properly and we shared your agony as he didn’t get the World Cup he deserved.

On the 19th June @superplus offered to hook me up !!!!!! I hate read it twice and then realized he wanted to hook my spreadsheet up (not the first time I’ve played goose to maverick sadly) and superstats were born (I guess what do you expect from someone with super in their forum name) and an amazing array of prediction stats were born and basically another way to show I’m crap at predictions but I can predict a lot so it’s the trying that counts!

@Slatter191 joined us on the 21st June and was instantly shouting Croatia’s praises....boy was he right !! @NeverGiveUpOnYourDreams popped in too unaware his chats with Matt, Cheetos, ariblaze,Slatter had made this thread apart of his World Cup

@buntycubal joined us on the 22nd June and predicted a Vietnam win, I had to check the teams again for my own sanity and suddenly you were apart of the group and you never let us down match after match after match

@piccionel came a bit later and exploded on the thread, I think that was the easy nature, just football, say what you like, it’s just a game after all.....the beautiful game

So many highs and lows to mention and yes this was one of the best World Cups I have ever seen but it was made 200% better with all of you in this thread. I have met so many people on this forum I wouldn’t have normally and I feel I know you all that little bit better with what you left here, your hearts on your sleeve as they say her in England. We all shared the joy and the tears and it was worth every moment for me.

@Never Subtle @viking_vp3 @NotSherlock @Liehjan @Tom_lecter no forgetting you guys either I could go on for hours.

Simply put it was a pleasure the whole time so thank you all so much and finally congratulations to France and Croatia what a final game that was!

Thank you so much for such an awesome thread. I was inactive member of this community bc I never found any topic suitable to me then @izzykasha came up with this and here I am football enthusiastic with all my prediction. Keep coming with such great threads. Also Thanks to @superplus for always making such awesome analysis, and special thanks to all members for being here everyday with same spirit [e]1f60a[/e][e]1f60a[/e] @buntycubal @ariblaze @the_o2 @piccionel @Cito.Melz @Cheetosdust @Dresa91 @script @eye842 @NeverSubtle @Slatter191 @NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams Thank you all

16. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Jul 16, 2018

buntycubal , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Aapka Shukriya o2 Maharajah

17. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Jul 16, 2018

Cheetosdust , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Hello :)

no no, thank you! I already mentioned it yesterday, but this thread wouldn't be the same without you - or without those you tagged.

You were all awesome and rockstars :cool:

Hello,

that's so great to read! Hope you can find the time and the threads to continue to post on this community! :)

18. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Isme shukriya ki kya baat (no need to say thank you for this)
    You always amazed me with your Hindi :blush::blush:

19. Rohan Pratap Bharti
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2018

Rohan Pratap Bharti , Jul 16, 2018 :
    thank you

20. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

izzykasha , Jul 16, 2018 :
    nice analogy !!