The 2018 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

1. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

izzykasha , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I think I turned DM off months back after a few abusive messages from cupcakes, it's back open now I think lol

2. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2018

ariblaze , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Likewise....
    Had a great time here with you all...
    will miss this thread

3. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Jul 16, 2018

Liehjan , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Next time I hope my favorite team is with us to take it all, Netherlands :)

4. viking_vp3
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2018

viking_vp3 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Hell of a Thread!
    Thank you guys, it was real fun to watch this thread and the games
    I hope to see all of you 4 years later in world cup topic again

5. script
    Moderator Moderator Jul 16, 2018

script , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Hey Bunty,

Just

Hello

:)

6. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 16, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    And finally Captain gets its own avatar :)

7. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

I think that's the captain who sailed the Titanic !!!!

8. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Jul 16, 2018

izzykasha, Dresa91, superplus and 5 others like this.
  9. script

script , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Izzy knows things

10. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Jul 16, 2018

11. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

12. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 16, 2018

superplus , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Though I think teams like Croatia who had at least 10 different scorers also deserve a great mention.

So you did indeed, congrats! :D You get the golden octopus of elimination! :cool:

Indeed, reckon they might've been able to pull it off, had the first two "goals" gone a different way :p Still, great match to watch.

Exactly, it looked possible for Belgium or Croatia, and would've made for a very appropriate ending to this underdog world cup, but still, very pleased they made it to second and third place!

Aww such wonderful words! Everyone's helped made this place a wonderful home to enjoy the world cup in, sharing the ups and downs, supporting each other, even if we weren't rooting for the others' team(s). It has been the contributions of everyone and the dedicated enthusiasm and welcoming atmosphere which kept drawing in more people and helped keep it fun to whip up the odd set of stats! So <3 right back to all, we've all been winners here!

Hehe yup, got them ready to go and indeed, great spreadsheet and countries stats from you and @eye842 :cool: As it should be, the World Cup stats are a team effort ;)

Oh wow, how was it?

Don't forget about the European winners' curse :rolleyes:

Exactly this :p Let's see what happens. Leave it to the French to break such a curse :rolleyes:

Were you playing Scrabble :rolleyes: Don't think there was ever any hatred, just rooting for underdogs, since it has proven a great underdogs world cup so far :p But congrats ;) You can paint @script's former avatar red-white-blue now :p

Exactly! :)

Aww such wonderful words, couldn't say it better or add anything myself, thanks for making this place a wonderful home for all of us! And keeping the ball going on these mad predictions. Not a trivial matter handling such an unwieldy Excel sheet for even just the predictions themselves! Three cheers for Izzy! And a cheeky bevvy or two :p

Thanks, and thanks for being here and making it the wonderful place it is!

Aww all these beautiful words, completely agreed, waiting for someone to break out into tears sooner or later :D

Hear, hear! Superbly said!

And a thanks to you too :) Wouldn't have been the same without you!

Very glad you joined for the amazing ride! :D

I'm glad you decided to partake in the thread! Let's hope you find other threads to partake in :D It'd be a shame to have to wait 4 years :p

Same here! :D

Haha didn't know that, yes, hope they'll actually qualify next time :p Still, a wonderful World Cup! Let's see what the next one brings :cool:

Exactly! :D

Right, everyone's said it all and so beautifully too, so I'll just be cheeky and echo all of the sentiments, it's been so wonderful, each and everyone in here, the odd cupcake that popped in and made an actual on-topic post here as their first post was always embraced with open arms, may the rest of the forums be inspired to act the same :p :D
    And mostly, like @the_o2 said, even if your country wasn't participating, or got eliminated at some point, this thread has still been a wonderful home from which to follow the World Cup surprises from!

Now, for the closing statistics:
    No alarms and no surprises, but still:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 18.25.21.PNG
    As we already knew, @Cito.Melz takes the overall crown! A well deserved congrats. It was no easy feat, I for one found it very hard in this stage not to predict the score I wanted to see. @ariblaze also did wonderfully well! And third place goes to all of @Never Subtle, @NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams, @NotSherlock, and @viking_vp3.
    In terms of total games predicted, you can see everyone's basically been absolutely awesome!

@Cito.Melz remains king with regards to perfect scores, with a very impressive 3 games of the 16 predicted perfectly! :cool: Though @Qu1cKy got 2 out of 14 perfect, which is also perfectly awesome! And with 2 correct out of 15 @eye842 and @NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams share the third place of perfection.

For overall winners-predictions, @ariblaze takes the crown, as the only one to get more than half of the winners correct, well done! Second place is shared by @Cito.Melz and @Matt 80, with runners-up @Never Subtle and @NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams.

Then, for overall World Cup performance:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 19.13.52.PNG

As we all knew, @script is king, for total points and total predictions. Weltmeister of overall dedication and scoring. Second place overall goes to @piccionel and third is shared by @izzykasha and @Matt 80. Honourable mentions for getting more than 30 points to @Cito.Melz, @Qu1cKy, @the_o2 and @viking_vp3.
    For participation @izzykasha remained second and @Cheetosdust third. But everyone has been awesome throughout, great dedication one and all!

@Liehjan still remains king of perfect predictions, second place overall goes to @piccionel and third to @Qu1cKy. Shout-outs to @script and @Cito.Melz for getting exactly or over 1-in-10 perfect throughout the entire World Cup predictions!

Thanks to the group stages, we have slightly more people coming in better than a coin toss, with the overall best predictions made of who would be crowned the winner of each individual match being @Qu1cKy, followed by @ariblaze and with bronze shared by @script and @Matt 80.

But once again, every single person here has been utterly awesome and made this thread what it is, was, will be. I'd say so long and thanks for all the fish, but someone already did :rolleyes:

13. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2018

ariblaze , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Whoa....all this would not have been possible without @izzykasha and you @superplus and everyone else who made this thread the best ever.

piccionel, buntycubal, Qu1cKy and 7 others like this.
  14. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

what a great way to respond to all those quotes, and the stats work well done this has always been the icing on top of the cake. Fantastic work throughout well done.

I echo your comments about the people that dropped in, some with their first posts, for them I feel they got a good reception from the forum because of all of the participants in this thread. A credit to this forum and yourselves.

I am indeed having that beer a cheeky little Mexican number Sol with of course a lime wedge.

buntycubal, Qu1cKy, Cito.Melz and 7 others like this.
  15. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 16, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Wow, great work again :)
    Feeling honored for the tag :cool:
    Congratulations to all, we all are the winners ;)
    Thank you for making this thread more interesting :):)

16. script

piccionel, ariblaze, the_o2 and 7 others like this.
  17. Slatter191
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

18. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

4.5 years to be precise 7 days before Christmas

ariblaze, the_o2, buntycubal and 5 others like this.
  19. Qu1cKy
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2018

20. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2018

Cito.Melz , Jul 17, 2018 :
    same here.. especially Copa América [e]1f44c[/e]