The Camera of 2020!

1. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 12, 2019

YRJ , Nov 12, 2019 :
    20191112_235259_0000.jpg
    Shot on OnePlus 7 by @RadekCech44 (Cropped)
    The picture that you took with your camera is the imagination you want to create with reality.
    Scott Lorenzo
    Hello folks,
    The phone that we hold in our hands looked drastically different back in the day. It is amazing to see how smartphones have evolved. I did talk about that it in one of my other threads, incase you want to check that out click here. But this is all about the camera!

Among other things that have changed, the camera has definitely aged like fine wine! The small lenses on the back of our phones have gotten incredibly powerful and provide results that even big bulky cameras couldn't, in the past. It's not completely about hardware (or those big numbers) when it comes to smartphone photography, software plays a very crucial role too. Google, Apple, Samsung and heck even OnePlus has proved that time and again.

ICYMI: Megapixel count has already reached 108! :eek:

Recently SONY posted a 2:29 minutes long video on the Chinese microblogging website weibo showcasing the capabilities of it's newest IMX 686 sensor. There is absolutely no information about the specifications of the sensor but SONY claims it can click pictures upto 64MP's.
    The video itself is limited to 480P so it would be difficult to estimate the picture quality but the overall pictures taken on the test equipment by the new sensor look stunning! Check the screenshots from the video below.

Screenshot_20191112-223149__01.jpg

Screenshot_20191112-223327__01.jpg

Screenshot_20191112-223334__01.jpg

Screenshot_20191112-223158__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223203__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223208__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223210__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223217__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223223__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223303__01.jpg Screenshot_20191112-223311__01.jpg

Since the sensor was used in what looks like a pretty simple phone, software should greatly improve the final results. SONY had in the same post stated that the sensor will be used on phones launching in 2020. There is a high probability that the upcoming OnePluses (8/8Pro/whatever they will be called) and a lot of other flagships will sport these. If you are planning to upgrade than this is something you might be interested in. ;)

The sample shots were shot during different times of the day and in various locations. To me it looks great! But I am more excited to see how OEM's will tap the entire potential of the hardware using software. One thing is for sure, the future of smartphone photography is bright and it's a great time to be alive! ;)

What do you think? Will the new hardware have a great impact on image quality? Let me know your thoughts below.

Never Settle.

2. RadekCech44
    Eclair Nov 12, 2019

panthimanshu, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  3. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 12, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 12, 2019 :
    great article, I think that the great hardware that companies like Sony are putting out combined with the amazing software capabilities like the Google pixel will create insane and stunning pictures. as of now most companies are either doing one or the other but very few companies have The Incredibles software to backup the great hardware and some companies have great hardware but don't have as software. what I can't wait for it's for the first company to combine the two and create a truly extraordinary photography experience on a smartphone!

panthimanshu, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  4. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Nov 12, 2019

Bouncer71 , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Great thread @YRJ...!
    As always... !! :D

I must admit I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to Pixel count on cameras...

I personally don't believe that this is the right direction...
    I mean yeah 100 something MP definitely sounds great...
    But my 6 years old 16MP travelcam still beats any smartphone out there in image quality and versatility...

And honestly...
    Photos shot on a smartphone are mostly being looked at on a smartphone or to the extreme max on an 8K 70 inch display...
    We're all looking at downsized data...

I would rather like to see smartphone manufacturers to work on those lenses and real optical zoom capabilities to catch up with "real cameras" than to just present ever higher megapixel megalomania...

But that's just a hobby photographers dream I guess... ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019

5. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Nov 12, 2019

Discostu , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Thanks for sharing, great read and video from Sony. Their sample shots are definitely impressive, the dynamic range and clarity look quite exceptional.

It is amazing to think about where we are today, on my recent trip to China I took my DSLR + 1 lens which weighed about 2-3kg and in my pocket I had my OP 7 Pro that I barely felt. I found myself using my phone more than my DSLR for a very simple reason - when I wanted to capture something I saw, it was so much easier to double click the power button and snap a shot on my phone than to take my lens cap off / turn on the camera / set my aperture & ISO & shutter speed / choose my focal length / take a photo.

That said, there are things DSLR's can do that no smartphone can do currently.

Computational photography and software are certainly the way of the future - next year will surely be impressive :)

6. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Nov 12, 2019

7. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

YRJ , Nov 13, 2019 :
    That's a great photo! Nice click :)
    If you asked me 2 years ago I would instantly say Pixel will ace it. But the competition has caught up so well that anyone can do it!
    Who is jrj? XD :p
    Nope. You are not alone count me in too ;)
    Let's see who gets it right! :p

And I completely agree, smartphones are very convenient and the fact that they are always on you makes things a lot easier.
    Sleep tight :D

panthimanshu, MosheG1 and Discostu like this.
  8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Nov 13, 2019

panthimanshu and YRJ like this.
  9. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

YRJ , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Hahaha! Typos are a thing but the biggest discovery is that there exists a jrj wow :rolleyes::joycat:

10. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Nov 13, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Nov 13, 2019 :
    There's something that I don't understand. This developers focus untiringly in raising the number of the megapixels from the camera sensors and every tech enthusiast is hyped about it.

But I'm gonna tell you a secret. If you're a hater or a very sensitive person regarding this things stop reading now.

Let's clear something, the sensor is only one of the important parts of a camera. Notice that I wrote ONE. Are we sure that we want 100+ MP on a tiny sensor for our phones? Some people might say YEEEEESSSSSS. But, why do we (the common of the users) need that huge number when in most of the cases the photos are never gonna leave our phones out of the digital form? To fill up the capacity of our phones, that's increasing exponentially too?

Let's take a glance in the past. What was the sensor before the digital era? The negatives (an some other things I might talk about it in another thread), those things that some of you old enough have seen and used. 35mm film. What's called that way? Is the size of the "sensor". There is also 120mm film! For medium format cameras. Can you visualize the size of that? Here's an example.

2018-11-29_010-770x1024.jpg
    (35mm up/120mm down)

Now... imagine a digital sensor that size. Insane, right? I'm sorry to tell you that a digital sensor that size is crazily expensive. But in that size the number of MP around 100 makes perfect sense.

Let's go back to our tiny phone sensor with a bunch of MP. My phone has a 48 MP sensor vs my oldie DSLR that has a 14.2 MP sensor. Which one takes better photos regarding quality?

No, is not the phone. But, why? What's another important thing to make a good quality photo? The lens. Yes, my dear reader. The lens are even more important than a sensor. Then, why not focus on improving the lenses? I guess numbers are what people care more about... Is a bit sad, isn't it?

Now, after all this monologue that might sound crazy, let me tell you something. Sensors are important, yes, specially if you want to print a poster that's 5 meters tall. Why do we need those MP in a tiny sensor (imagine that amount of MP locked in a tiny space... Poor them), to look at the photos on our screens, and share them in social media (spoiler alert, they destroy your photos quality).

Lenses are also important... But there's one more important thing. The most important one.

YOU. The person behind the "tool". Someone can have a cheap phone and create incredible images and another one have the most expensive camera and took awful photos. What's the only difference? The person/eye/brain behind.

So, my conclusion... Use whatever will give you advantage on what you want to do. And don't trust the MP numbers anymore... They mean nothing but that, a number.

P.S. Sorry my der @YRJ for invading your post with this... Is a great thread!! And I really appreciate that you did it and made me think about all this.

11. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

YRJ , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Come on, don't be silly. You don't have to apologise for having an opinion, uh this is a fact and a valid argument. The intention behind a thread is not for users to come drop a like and comment "wow nice thread" and move on. I am not like hungry.
    But I love it when users actually read and present their side of the story and no matter how good you are at something you will always learn by discussions.

After all, I asked you for your thoughts and I appreciate it. I do completely support your arguments, and know that MPs in nothing but numbers ( after a certain value)
    What piqued my interest about the new sensor is that even without some amazing software and post processing the images taken in natural conditions are really good.
    I have a 48MP sensor myself and people with older phones and inferior hardware click better pictures than me.

I have tagged @TibiTibi multiple times in the past and I do it again, what he can achieve with a OnePlus one and a Poco F1 proves 2 things, smartphone photography does not rely heavily on hardware and the photographer does not click a photo, he makes it.

So I thank you again for the deep dive and explanation, I appreciate it. :)

12. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Nov 13, 2019

ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

The key is the light.

Keep looking at photos, try to understand why, and what makes them better than yours. And... Well, I'm here too.

panthimanshu, TibiTibi and YRJ like this.
  13. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

YRJ , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Thanks for the tip! I will henceforth :)

panthimanshu and B.I.T.S. like this.
  14. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2019

Discostu , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Completely agree with @B.I.T.S. - we humans like more of everything, we tend to equate more of something as being good which is why when people see 100MP they think WOW AMAZING - I'll be a pro. All of those pixels crammed into a tiny sensor can only do so much, low light for example would likely be very poor unless pixel-binning is used alongside software trickery.

All one needs to do is take a look at the "shot on OnePlus" galleries every month to see what is capable with a creative mind and skill, regardless of phone being used.

15. Starcommander
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2019

YRJ and panthimanshu like this.
  16. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Nov 13, 2019

Screenshot_20191113-230211.jpg

This just appeared on my feed... It seems appropriate :rolleyes:

(If you don't know Annie... Go check her work now!)

17. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2019

Discostu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Almond , Nov 13, 2019 :
    So true.

With digital there's the risk of not being in the moment because you're forever checking the screen on the back of your camera / or smartphone. You're taken out of the act of taking photos and into a mode of seeking perfection.

Annie is amazing, her portraiture works are so very real and raw. Such talent.

B.I.T.S., YRJ, TibiTibi and 1 other person like this.
  18. TibiTibi
    Nougat Nov 14, 2019

TibiTibi , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Thank you @YRJ for the tag.
    My personal opinion.
    It is about the balance:
    • You the handler of the camera.
    • The scene with all conditions.
    • The camera HW.
    • The camera SW.
    • Postprocessing.

Discostu and YRJ like this.
  19. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 14, 2019

YRJ , Nov 14, 2019 :
    No worries! All the best :)
    She is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. :hearteyes:
    Cannot agree more.
    Noted and I will try to find the perfect balance. thanks :)