The CEO Speaks. The Pete Lau Interview (Part I)

1. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 16, 2018

youbi , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Thanks for this replies, you really showed that even when asked a couple of times for a different approach and to give a constructive feedback you decided otherwise and went on atacking the thread Creator and his choice of questions. :confused:

So no point on keeping this going, if you can't really be constructive on this thread better leave it alone.

You would actually be suprised if you have met the ones you speak about and realized you could be wrong. Because I've met @Carl and you know what, he knew the name of some of this community users and spoke about their actions here. If he wasn't at least here from time to time he wouldn't for sure know that. ;)

Some Admins do read the forum, and I'm sure if they could they would do it even more, but they aren't payed to be around here all day, so they do need to do other stuff. :p

@nyzproof333 I won't reply to you anymore on this thread, I don't really thank is fair to keep doing this on a really nice thread from @Cheetosdust . If you want to talk about anything please send me a pm. For now let's keep this thread focused on what matters.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 16, 2018

dsmonteiro , Jul 16, 2018 :
    He certainly knew who I was when I was with him in Hamburg. Didn't get a heartwarming welcome as I did from @Chris dB, though. :sweatsmile:

jlasensiofi, youbi, Bobbie63 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Tobikage, The1Lion, SoniaB and 2 others like this.
  4. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

pa5t1s , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Interesting article and read @Cheetosdust, you definitely have great writing skills...
    Interesting because it mostly made me ask myself: "Is it some kind of answer/echo to previous Cheetos's article about Carl's absence in the forum?". You invited Carl and got Pete? or is it something you planned for a longer time?
    I don't have much to say about the content: nothing really new under the sun, answers sound too polished/market'ed, AMA-like. Anyway...
    I do appreciate Pete's answer about new devices and his early use of them: *that* talks to me and sounds "real".

PS: @nyzproof333, you're incorrigible but I've got what you intended to say -between the lines and between the bullets- . But @Cheetosdust ain't a bad and rotten guy, don't shoot at him ;)

5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jul 16, 2018

Cheetosdust , Jul 16, 2018 :
    No, I never invited Carl.

And this one in particular is being talked about for a loooong time.

If anything, the timing of both threads was bad and that's 100% my fault.

6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Bobbie63 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    No it wasn't, what would have been theright timing?

No, there is never. People seem to all have their own interpretation of both threads and reply conform those thoughts. That's something no one can change and you shouldn't be bothered by them.

Everyone, long enough on these forums, the ones that done their reading, probably knew what would happen. Problem is the how they interpret it.

You asked yourself the right questions and put them into words here on this forum. That's the purpose of this forum, I guess. If people have problems with that, why apologize, it still is their interpretation and assumptions.

I love your threads and I hope you keep them coming.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

7. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

8. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

funmunke , Jul 16, 2018 :
    So much BS we are going to need a bulldozer.

9. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Mr. BG , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Such cheer, much wow...

The blue pill it is ;)

10. Thikalevis
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2018

Thikalevis , Jul 17, 2018 :
    I LIKE THIS CEO OF ONE PLUS ID VERY CLOSE TO OUR COMMUNITY. I NEED TO GET MY ONE PLUS 6 SOON.

11. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Jul 17, 2018

Ruby G. , Jul 17, 2018 :
    This interview is real. I personally saw on my outlook calendar Eric schedule an interview time with Pete and I followed up with English grammar corrections for Pete's responses since English is not his first language. Since this is going to be a series, I'd like to offer up a chance for feedback - what sort of evidence would satisfy you? Video, voice recording, pictures etc. Let us know.

@nyzproof333 since you had the same responses. It's fine if you want to spin conspiracy theories and say things about OnePlus as a brand. The truth is much simpler than you think and will hold up in the face of scrutiny. However, it personally angers me when I see you stomp on other community members for the sheer satisfaction of pointing out how inferior they are/implying that you are superior to them. The way you currently deliver your message sounds cruel and ultimately looks like an act of bullying.

Why I am I taking the time to write this message? Because I've asked around about you and have heard some good things. You have good insights sometimes and can be reasonable/nice to talk to. I believe those things about you. I'm just asking you to reflect on your delivery, if it could be more constructive and less harmful to those around you: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/simon-young/7-ways-to-communicate-onl_b_5865484.html

Thanks for hearing me out :)

12. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 17, 2018

nyzproof333 , Jul 17, 2018 :
    I have said my piece on this, moved away from this round and round circle, yet you're pulling me back in.

I stand behind what I said as they are my feelings. Respecting someone is telling them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. If the "community" wants more interaction from executive leadership on this forum, calling out executives saying "we need to talk" and the producing part one of an interview with unsightful questions won't cut it for the masses. Which I said. Could more velvet been put on the hammer.....maybe.

The reason these guys I gather have gravitated away from this community seems obvious, the ROI is not there for their time. Throwing out anecdotal questions is not the way to garner respect for forum members who seem so interested in top level executives attention. I could care less what Pete, Carl and any other exec for OP has to say personally but maybe other users will think through some of my harsh comments and bring their A game next time. Chances to do these things need to count for the people who actually care.

Thank you as well for hearing me out. I encourage all to get past their hurt feelings and add value next time you have a chance to interview an executive. If you don't know how to do that, ask the person you're interviewimg what you can to bring value. If there is no value brought during a discussion (for both sides) ultimately their will be less reason to talk in the future (which I understand some do want to see happen).

I'm out of this convo. I don't see value in this further. I made my feelings clear. Good day to you.

pa5t1s, Zaphodrocks and Ruby G. like this.
  13. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

Tobikage , Jul 17, 2018 :
    This sounds more like a borderline PR interview. These questions and answers sound too scripted (especially the questions)......makes me feel like I'm reading an interview in an online article wanting some page hits rather than an interview being conducted by a forum member from the OnePlus community.

I'd much rather prefer a real off the cuff interview from @Cheetosdust rather than whatever this was.

But that's just how I felt.....maybe I'm not the target audience anymore. :confused:

14. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

Tobikage , Jul 17, 2018 :
    One word.....Thunderclap.:rolleyes:

15. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 17, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Hmm I like the idea of this. Cool opportunity to get behind the scenes with "the other guy", who, in terms of media coverage, fell short behind Carl most of the time. Is good!
    When I first read through the questions, I felt like they have all been asked and answered thousands of times - I even had Carl's answers in my head. But then I re-read the introduction and realized it wasn't Carl who gave the interview :D

16. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Well, @Cheetosdust this looks to be an open talk yet tbh I found some restrictions in your questions (probably they are fulfilled later in parts).

But, nicely answered by @Pete for these simple questions from @Cheetosdust (repeats). That Q2 is what every entrepreneur intends to look at and he has proven himself. Thanks Pete :)

Let's talk more with the rest of your parts @Cheetosdust.

Good luck !

G_plusone likes this.
  17. LightningXIII
    Lollipop Community Expert Jul 17, 2018

18. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

19. LightningXIII
    Lollipop Community Expert Jul 17, 2018

20. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jul 17, 2018

youbi, Shivang Joshi and Cheetosdust like this.