The feature I would most like is to not pick up my phone upside down

1. jennib
    Eclair Dec 18, 2014

jennib , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Most smart phones suffer from having an up and down; a right way to hold the phone so that the ear piece is by your ear and the mic is by your mouth.

My suggestion is to build the phone symmetrically so that the top and bottom are interchangeable and no matter which way I grab the phone it will always be right. Both ends can have a speaker and microphone, they kinda do already anyway. The volume rocker and power button can be the same physical button on both sides only acting differently based on orientation.

The accelerometer already know which way is up and can be used to decide which button, speaker, mic is which.

Thanks for reading.

laanrobe likes this.
  2. ben1122a
    Froyo Dec 18, 2014

ben1122a , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Kinda late to do this with a phone that has already been made. As for the idea, extra speakers/buttons will take up more space in the inside of the phone, which is already fairly cramped. This seems like a very inefficient solution to a very small problem.

Oyathnkso likes this.
  3. GuyWithHat
    Gingerbread Dec 18, 2014

GuyWithHat , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Quick, someone make a custom ROM that can use the bottom speakers as a call speaker, and will flip the homescreen.

4. clutchinonedowntwoup
    Honeycomb Dec 18, 2014

clutchinonedowntwoup , Dec 18, 2014 :
    I wouldn't be surprised with some of the geniuses here haven't already started

Reflect Stratos and meatandy like this.
  5. laanrobe
    Honeycomb Dec 18, 2014

laanrobe , Dec 18, 2014 :
    I actually like this idea a lot. Makes a lot of sense to make the phone symmetrical if technology allows and does not take up too much space. Can be extended to usb charging port and headphone jack!

6. carbine30
    Marshmallow Dec 18, 2014

carbine30 , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Theoretically maybe but practically i don't think phone makers would be interested as it's an extra cost for them .

TheCount likes this.
  7. jennib
    Eclair Dec 18, 2014

jennib , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Well, I wasn't really thinking about the One, more like something nice to see in a future phone.

Or am I in the wrong forum?

8. EpicSwirly
    Lollipop Dec 18, 2014

9. tyler539
    Jelly Bean Dec 18, 2014

tyler539 , Dec 18, 2014 :
    Well, with phones like the Moto X with the front-facing speakers and a mic already located at the top and bottom (due to noise cancellation), and its onscreen buttons, technically the thing is completely flippable if software were provided....the only exceptions would be the volume and lock buttons like you said, and the headphone jack/charger port being on different sides each time you pulled the phone out, and the camera being smothered by your hand....other than those things, the phone would be perfectly flipped via software...

10. Skf123
    Marshmallow Dec 18, 2014

Skf123 , Dec 18, 2014 :
    I don't see why this wouldn't be possible on a phone like the moto x 2014, just need some mods i think