The first Apple event of 2021!

1. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2021

suhantm , Apr 21, 2021 :
    [​IMG]

Wowza. That Apple Event was probably one of their best, the production as always was mind-blowing and the pace was JUST right (unlike their last event where they spoke about the colour blue for what seemed like an eternity). But the products (and services) announced were the stars of the show.

Joining myself today is @dnagpaldg to discuss and summarize the epic announcements from yesterday’s Spring Loaded event!

The Purple iPhone
    We’ll keep this one short, and to the point - the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini will now be available in Purple. You can get your hands on one of them on April 30. Guess OnePlus isn’t the only company that likes dabbling in colours, eh? (WOW this is a terrible joke.)

[​IMG]

And if you want a case for your brand new iPhone, Apple also has a new Leather Wallet case in Deep Violet!

AirTags
    Apple’s own version of Tiles is finally here after months and months of rumours, the AirTags have finally come into fruition. The minimal metal pucks use the U1 Chip along with the plethora of sensors on the iPhone in conjunction with the ‘Find My’ app to give you a real-time directional indication of where your belongings are.

[​IMG]

I dig the design, it’s minimal and clean. I just wish it came in more color options though, but that's probably something Apple is reserving for the future… after all, how would they make money mid-cycle without that 😉

Check out the promo video below:

Apple TV 4K
    Apple TV is Apple’s own streaming box - you can connect it to your TV (smart or dumb) to make it a part of the Ecosystem™. The company unveiled a refresh of their flagship Apple TV 4K, which brings support for 4K HDR 60fps content, adding to pre-existing support for Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which lets it playback the new Dolby Vision video shot on iPhone 12 Pro Max devices. Apple says its working with various companies to support their high frame rate HDR content.

[​IMG]

All this is powered by the A12 Bionic chipset, which first premiered in 2018. Apple doesn’t give us numbers, but it claims the new Apple TV 4K will deliver significantly improved graphics performance, video decoding, and audio processing.

Perhaps the coolest thing to happen in this announcement is the new Color Balance feature that premieres with the new Apple TV 4K. This works by using the sensors on your iPhone to figure out exactly how colours are being depicted on your TV. Then, the Apple TV 4K compensates for any deviations from industry standard colour to provide you with colours closer to the industry standards.

[​IMG]

If that sounds like a boring thing, think about it for a minute - how many times have you ever changed the colour settings on your TV? Do you even know the difference between accurate colours and oversaturated colours? This feature would not give you the same experience as a professionally calibrated, or even a pro-grade display, but it gets you much closer to how the director wanted you to watch their movie.

[​IMG]

The New Siri Remote
    Do we really need a separate section for a remote? After all, it's part of the Apple TV, isn’t it?
    Yes, we do, because the old one absolutely sucked. It was too small and too complicated to be a remote. The new remote brings some Siri smarts and a new redesign that should make it better to use. What it also beings is a circular D-pad with a clickwheel reminiscent of the glory iPod days. All of it is packed in an ergonomic design that focuses on usability.

[​IMG]

Podcasts

[​IMG]

Apple was the first to introduce podcasts to the mainstream world but they haven’t done much to enhance the experience for Apple Podcast users throughout the years… until NOW. Firstly, the podcast app gets a clean redesign that moves most of the content you’d interact to the lower half of the phone (Hurray for one-handed usage!) and features an optimized banner giving you a clearer idea of the podcasts topic/hosts.

Apple also is introducing subscriptions to podcast listeners in over 170 countries starting May, this will allow users to pay their way into exclusive/early access content, ad-free listening and etc.

Channels will also become a thing on Apple Podcasts soon. Essentially Creators can group together shows which may or may not include their own podcasts.

This last thing wasn’t announced, but because I did some digging here I am telling you about it 😉 Apple Podcast Connect is a new dashboard designed to share tips and tricks for podcasts as well as the ability to edit all your episodes, channels, and shows.

[​IMG]

iMac
    Apple calls the new iMac “the first device designed from the ground up around the M1 chipset”. The first thing to talk about when you see this device is - it’s thin. It is just 11.5 mm, which is less than the MacBook Air’s 16 mm profile.

[​IMG]

The new iMac features a 24-inch Retina 4.5K display that features True Tone, P3 wide color gamut, and over 500 nits of brightness. The bezels have been greatly reduced, and all that remains is a screen, space for speakers, and a new 1080p webcam. Speaking of the speakers, there is a 6 speaker system including 2 pairs of subwoofers and a high-performance tweeter. [​IMG]

Thanks to the M1 chip, Apple promises this model to be up to 85% faster in CPU performance, 2x faster in GPU performance, and up to 3x faster machine learning - all while being quieter than 10 decibels.

There is a new Magic Keyboard with redesigned layouts, and in shades matching the new iMacs. And, the higher-end trim of the iMac ships with a Touch ID enabled Magic Keyboard - the first time it’ll all be done wirelessly. Apple says that this is being done with end-to-end encryption and that Touch ID is connected directly to the Security Enclave on Apple’s T2 chip. The Touch ID chip should help with faster authentication for purchases and on macOS Big Sur.

[​IMG][​IMG]

iPad Pros
    This is by far the thing I (suhantm) was most excited about. The new refreshed iPad Pro features the friggin M1 chip. That's bananas. Think about it, the iMac, Macbook(s), Mac Mini, and now the iPad Pro all feature the same SoC! Bravo Apple, Bravo! Kinda overkill for a tablet, but it's always better to overdeliver 😉

While both new iPad Pros got the M1 Upgrade, only the bigger 12.9-inch model got a ridiculously gorgeous display upgrade. Apple calls it ‘Liquid Retina XDR’ which directly sends a tech enthusiast into thinking it's comparable to the Pro Retina XDR, apparently they claim it is. Even in a body that slim. How? It features a mini-LED display! (probably industry first?).

5G. Yes. Even iPad Pros (Cellular) have 5G capabilities now, woohoo I guess?

Another super welcome change, the iPad Pros now support thunderbolt and USB-4 support. Making it a pretty epic creative companion for your professional workflows.

The kinda-gimmicky but kinda-awesome addition was Center Stage. Both iPad Pros now feature a front-facing ultrawide camera, with software magic you and any subjects will remain at the center of the frame on video calls. The iPad uses that extra room from the Ultra-wide to crop in to keep you ‘Center Stage’. Pretty awesome, looking forward to testing this out for myself.

[​IMG]

Fellow community members, what for you was the highlight from the plethora of announcements? and are you planning to purchase any of the new products?

Let us know in the replies below!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021

2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 21, 2021 :
    The Air tags were cool, the UWB and the compass positioning looked awesome 🔥.
    And the price tag was also *average* :p
    So I think I might buy one :)

The iPad was overpowered...with the M1 and the tempting display, but in the end, its a tablet :rolleyes:

Apple TV was good, not great, it needs a display to match :oops:

Thanks for the thread @suhantm :cool:

3. harimadhav
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2021

harimadhav , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 21, 2021 :
    The iPad pro looks amazing.

I am
    pretty sure that it's my couch that's shown in the air tag promo video..

And is it just me or the remote looks similar to the OnePlus tv remote, minus the circular d-pad. maybe just the volume buttons but still, reminded me of that.

1619021793886.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021

runed0s, WS12, Z1562592446334 and 5 others like this.
  4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Totally!
    That's what I also thought when I saw the remote in the launch event;)
    If we combine the Netflix Remote and RC003A, we'll get the complete Apple TV Remote design

5. dnagpaldg
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Apr 21, 2021

dnagpaldg , Apr 21, 2021 :
    P sure the OnePlus Remote design is similar to the Apple TV remote launched two years before it. Ofcourse, OnePlus changed it to a more conventional design much faster.

6. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2021

Girish.Pranav , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Ooh iPad is more powerful than ever huh? Also the AirTags look really cool. And also purple, seriously?

7. SRD.
    Lollipop Apr 21, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Wow! There is everything for those who did not watch the event. Thanks @suhantm for the thread.

Apple events are the best ( Cook stealing the M1 chip was the best part 😜)

8. rahulchaks
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2021

9. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Apr 21, 2021

AlienEye , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Looking forward to see what developers are gonna develop for this new iPad pro!!! I want one soo badly

vareny likes this.
  10. Royal_RJ

vareny likes this.
  11. Pranit Sonigra
    Froyo Apr 21, 2021

Kev S and suhantm like this.
  12. suhantm

suhantm , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 21, 2021 :
    My guess is. It'll come with the iMac Pro, it's inevitable.

McJader likes this.
  13. kdshenoi
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2021

14. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    I have been waiting for Apple to bring an iMac with thinner bezels and a less prominent chin...but seems that they're heading the opposite way 😒

15. G_plusone
    Nougat Apr 21, 2021

G_plusone , via OnePlus 3 , Apr 21, 2021 :
    There's always Hermès to spice up the price :D

16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Of course....it's Apple at the end of the day 😉
    I don't know why, but the way @dsmonteiro speaks and looks, makes him perfect for Apple launch events. 😎

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021

17. kranthik339
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2021

18. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 21, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 21, 2021 :
    I need to buy myself a black turtleneck sweater then.

19. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

20. Thamimansari
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2021