The Full Screen/Bezel Free SCAM

1. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 22, 2017

johnhart , Sep 22, 2017 :
    RANT ON

So I know Shamsung is the God of all phones because it has the no bezel sided ginormous screen phones. And I know Snapple thinks their bezel free plus turd X is the bestest phone ever.

What do I see? Two companies working together to raise cellphone pricing at the very moment phones are starting to be boring as hell and require commodity price drops.

Of course a company like OnePlus doesn't mind because it allows them to raise prices a little and still be half of the price of those tool phones, still --

-- I believe the bezel-less full screen thing is not only a scam to temporarily stave off the inevitable pricing wars but a full fledged scam within itself.

Umm yeah sure some people want giant phones to watch movies and play games on. But seriously you should get yourself a cheaper phone and an inexpensive laptop for the same money as these dumb@$$ flagships. There's no way the iPhone X is a better movie screen than even a better Chromebook. Sorry.

Consider this pic --

Inked2017-09-21 16_32_47-Samsung Galaxy Note 8 vs Galaxy S8 Plus! - YouTube_LI.jpg

Notice anything funny? Most Android users will miss it but Apple users will see it. Give up? LOOK AT ALL THE WASTED SPACE ON THOSE SCREENS. Everything in RED is dead space.

What's the point of having a minimalist homescreen on something the size of a Pop Tart? I'd be more interested in the OnePlus bezels shrinking so that the phone could be a little smaller but still offer a 5.5 screen.

Seriously -- it's just a status thing, right? The two market leaders are changing what a modern smartphone looks like for no real compelling reason. OOooo my screen is bigger than your screen. Grow up and be four.

I believe the bokah fad is already dying and I hope this fad goes with it.

RANT OFF

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

2. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

3. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    How can you say it's a scam? If you can't afford or dont want an expensive big screen phone, just don't buy it...simple! I bought the S8+ and couldn't be more satisfied even at double the OP5 price.

There's enough phones out there to please everyone.

4. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

sfomin , Sep 22, 2017 :
    watch op6 come with infinity/bezel-free screen.

Gonzo01, Afzal Khan, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  5. Murman
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

Murman , Sep 22, 2017 :
    My super enormous screen is compensating for something..... Can't remember what...

lostLambda, pa5t1s, Salt505 and 3 others like this.
  6. Murman
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

Murman , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Personally, I think minimal bezels is definitely an improvement. LG nailed it with the G6 and V30.

7. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I know right? Then all your gonna see is all these threads about how great it is.

pa5t1s, Salt505 and sfomin like this.
  8. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

sfomin , Sep 22, 2017 :
    a play straight out of the iSheep playbook [​IMG] but at least iSheep are decent peeps [​IMG]

Gonzo01 and pa5t1s like this.
  9. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    That V30 sure looks good.

theshinybeast, pa5t1s and Salt505 like this.
  10. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

Gonzo01, pa5t1s, Salt505 and 2 others like this.
  11. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Hows the battery? Im seriously thinking about it but some reviews say the battery isn't as good as the S8+ while some say its actually better.

pa5t1s and sfomin like this.
  12. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 22, 2017

johnhart , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Now now

5.5 is small? Oh. I see. Bigger is better. So why don't you get yourself a 15 inch LG GRAM, install Skype and make some calls with that? It's a $1000 too. And people will be so impressed with your ginormous 'phone'.

Or do you need Apple or Samsung to transition a stupid idea into smart first?

13. exorcer
    Eclair Sep 22, 2017

exorcer , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I mean I come from iOS and also potentially plan to get an iPhone just to have the comfortability of both platforms and simple solution to your empty red space would be get the Google launcher. I mean there's a launcher for a reason and an app drawer for a reason there are a bunch launchers that mimic iPhone homescreen but since we're in an android operating system maybe you have to accept apple will do apple and android will do android regardless of whether there is TouchWiz or MIUI or just stock android. Just my opinion but I feel that's the best solution if using the screen space on the homepage is your issue.

lostLambda and pa5t1s like this.
  14. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :

I never said YOU couldn't afford. I said IF you can't OR don't want a big screen.. speaking in general for anyone. Where do i mention that bigger is better and 5.5 is small? Also i don't buy phones to impress anyone...maybe you do.

pa5t1s likes this.
  15. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

sfomin , Sep 22, 2017 :
    i have been averaging around 6 hrs SOT at QHD and everything on and running.
    For me, it lasts from 5am to 11:59pm on one charge, with 30%+ left over at the end of the day...
    but my usage has never given me great SOT on any phone. for comparison, OPO and note 5 was around 3 hrs SOT for me.
    i do have a USA tmobile note 8 orchid grey for sale [​IMG]

pa5t1s likes this.
  16. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I would say that's pretty good SOT average. Also im pretty much disadvantaged buying from US with our weak dollar. Im pretty sure your phone would cost me over $1000

pa5t1s likes this.
  17. sfomin
    Nougat Sep 22, 2017

sfomin , Sep 22, 2017 :
    indeed. i wont complain about the 6 hrs. @hotsauce is getting around 5.5 hrs on her note 8.

looked at the currency conversion, looks like around $985

pa5t1s likes this.
  18. hotsauce
    Lollipop Sep 22, 2017

hotsauce , Sep 22, 2017 :
    1. No one said GS8/IphoneX screens are better at movies than a Chromebook, But they're better than the Oneplus 5
    2. You keep going on and on about the size of the phone and how it's like holding a poptart. Look at the picture below. 1 of those phone has a 5.8in screen, and the other has a 5.5in screen. Who's holding a pop tart again?

[​IMG]

Gonzo01, Rick Manders, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  19. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2017

[GG] , Sep 22, 2017 :
    1- He's not making any sense whatsoever.
    2- I think i would take a pop tart over the OP5.

Gonzo01, hotsauce and pa5t1s like this.
  20. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Sep 22, 2017

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I do agree with you on the wasted space on screen. Tho, this is not relevant to the phone /screen itself, but to the software running on it.
    I do agree with you on the fact that most modern UI, as they like to call them, are mostly empty space filled with little information (may I say pre - digested)
    UI in the 90's or 2K were heavy and mostly hideous (ie full of colors everywhere) But you had all information on sight, which was cool provided you knew how to handle it.
    Modern UIs show little at once and make you swipe all the time...
    Now, I like those bezel less phones, even the cheapest ones because they are breaking Apple's outdated design. Just my 2 cents.

Gonzo01, theshinybeast and [GG] like this.