The Google Assistant-powered “Ambient Mode” is rolling out to OnePlus devices

1. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Feb 11, 2020

David Y. , Feb 11, 2020 :
    AM.png

Hi friends,

By partnering with Google, we are excited to bring the Google Assistant-powered “Ambient Mode” to your OnePlus device (available onOnePlus 3 and above).

Ambient Mode is a "proactive" Google Assistant experience that is available whenever the device is being charged. You can access proactive information and suggestions on weather, agenda, entertainment, reminders, and more. The feature can also be used to turn a phone into a digital photo frame or as the interface to control smart home devices, such as lights, or music players. Check out this video made by Google to learn more:

To opt-in this feature, please connect your OnePlus device to the charger, click the notification and follow the guidance to finish the setup process, or you can enable this feature in the Google App Settings. To do so, follow this path: Open the Google App > More > Settings > Google Assistant > Select the Assistant tab > Devices (Phone). Please note that this is a staged rollout, which might take up to a week to a full release, your patience will be appreciated.

We look forward to seeing how the Ambient Mode on Google Assistant can make your life easier and enable you to achieve more. Let us know how you like the feature in the comments below.

Cheers!

2. David Y.

Stickied Post
    We encountered some delays due to the NCP outbreak. The January security update for 7T will be released in the following two weeks if all goes well.

3. jugalnayal
    Donut Feb 11, 2020

duriense, Scorlling, OweII and 44 others like this.
  4. Deactivated User
    Feb 11, 2020

5. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Feb 11, 2020

BobbyV8_ , Feb 11, 2020 :
    Ambient mode for Google Assistant only while Charging!

In the current user scenario where we boast of 'Warp charge - 30 minutes of charge to power a day's usage' what's the urgency for any user to get onto ambient mode during charge? That too restricted to Google assistant! One can easily unlock their device and get the work done.

The only case I can see this useful is when a user is travelling and wants the device charged while still browsing for information they need to stroll around the city. I would've appreciated if this is possible whole time even if restricted to assistant as this could mean some battery saving while on the move though not much of a difference while you have a power socket within reach.

This would've been a hit if multiple apps are allowed to be used in Ambient mode irrespective of while charging or not. AOD is better than this half useful "Ambient Charging Assistant"

I charge my device once in 2 days while I get ready to work and barely touch the device. In such a case I would never use this if not for my itch to test forces upon me.

6. emewhort
    Donut Feb 11, 2020

Albin1887, G1577294970801 and stejdm like this.
  7. narceoneplus2
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2020

8. ankitgondalia
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Feb 11, 2020

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

9. Harsha09
    Froyo Feb 11, 2020

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

gcocucci likes this.
  10. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 11, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 11, 2020 :
    I'm glad you're well and I keep the people of China in my thoughts and prayers.

Richard

msheu, Chagoo, F1581886568309 and 9 others like this.
  11. Saikumar7
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2020

Saikumar7 , via OnePlus 7 , Feb 11, 2020 :
    so what about the open beta update for oneplus 7 series??

Laree and MarcoFerri like this.
  12. R Ramsharan
    Froyo Feb 11, 2020

13. sud_p1
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2020

14. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 11, 2020

Neeraj165 likes this.
  15. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Feb 11, 2020

17. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Feb 11, 2020

Dresa91 , Feb 11, 2020 :
    hey:)
    Thank you for the information:) sounds great:)
    One question for the OP3 series: is this something rolled out via Google (update for Google Assistant app)? I mean OP3 series reached EOL, so this is not coming via software update, is it?

btw: great you are all doing well:)
    Health care is more important than any kind of updates! people, please keep this in mind!

Laree, keithnyc, abhi1+3 and 8 others like this.
  18. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Feb 11, 2020

G_Pirtti_Julle likes this.
  19. David Y.

The rollout is supported by Google, no software/app updates required. A sweet notification will pop up when it's there.

Thanks for the caring folks! Working from home is good for gaining weight tho ; )

Laree, theOPlover, Saenz4931 and 33 others like this.
  20. sud_p1
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2020

sud_p1 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 11, 2020 :
    Thanks for the quick response.