The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. KeBlam
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 4, 2019

KeBlam , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Screen Debate.png

Hey everyone! @Taylor.Mah and @KeBlam, two of the many passionate US brand ambassadors, back here again! We’re not here to start a fight; we’re here to start a debate!

As the title suggests, we’re here to talk about one of the greatest dichotomies of 2019: curved versus flat displays!

Ah yes, curved displays they look so cool, right? They give off that eye-catching and sleek appeal that your Oneplus device is one premium piece of hardware. That bezel-less display design keeps having your eye coming back for more and more. It cleans off the notch that was offered in the 6 and 6T and offers you an 88.1% screen-to-body ratio. Not to mention when you whip that dope piece of tech out of your pocket and your friends are like, “Whoa, what phone is that?” and I’m like, “That, my friend, is the OnePlus 7 Pro you’re gazing your eyes upon.” But it all can’t be about the looks, the curved display adds some functionality to your device as well.

The curved display opens a door of limitless opportunities, which allows for the Horizon Light. Horizon light has been a long-awaited feature for some time. Up till the OnePlus 6, OnePlus has always had a way of showing notifications. When the 6 and 6T were launched, many OnePlus fans were taken aback since there were no notification LEDs present. With the curved display from the OnePlus 7 Pro, there is this very subtle horizon light that notifies you when you receive a notification. In addition to the Horizon Light, the curved display can offer a variety of other opportunities as well.

The curved display can offer a buttonless future where UI, app developers can take full advantage of the curved edges and add extended functionality. Theoretically speaking, there are an infinite number of software in which we can complement the hardware with. Examples would be changing the color of your power button or even swiping the edges of your phone to turn it on. Of course, there would have to be the hardware and all, but let’s just come back to the present for a moment!

With the amazing bundle of benefits definitely comes at a cost. One of the biggest downsides to the curved display, which can lead to an opportunity, is that you risk accidentally touching it when you don’t mean to. Imagine losing a game because the fat of your palm moved your characters to the edge of the screen. (I did that on Clash Royale!) Another scenario would be texting words or sending images that you didn’t mean to. We’re essentially at risk to a whole problem set rather than just the intrusiveness of the notch. One way to improve and maybe fix this issue is to incorporate palm-rejection technology like in many tablets!

Another downside to the curved display is that some of the screen strength and integrity are lost when you drop your device. With all that screen real estate, poses a greater chance for your phone to get damaged. And of course, many cases out there don’t do it much justice since it mainly wraps around the bezels rather than the screen itself. Of course, you can simply just purchase a screen-protector, but all of a sudden, you have another problem on our hands: Five star high-quality third-party screen protectors are hard to come across and are not entirely that easy to apply; which is why the 7 Pro sports a Gorilla Glass 5 screen, making it a very hard shell to crack. (Don’t try to crack it at home!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

IMG_20191203_182125.jpg
    Curvier and distorted on the 7 Pro.
    IMG_20191203_175140.jpg
    Flatter but not as curvy as we'd like it to be, making it appear slightly thicker.

We have discussed some of our likes and opportunities with the flat and curved screen! Many of us strongly prefer one over the other; while some of us are still adjusting! Let us know which screen you like and why!

Thanks for listening to us. Let us know in the comments which display you prefer and why! Let the great debate begin!

3. minus_plus , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 4, 2019 :
    I would prefer a flatter screen. This is the first time I've had a device with a curved edge screen and I find myself getting accidental touches from time to time. Also the distortion and the way lights glare off the edges so much is a small bother. I will say it looks pretty, but I would be fine with a flatter screen.

4. gneitingable
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

5. niemiro
    Donut Dec 4, 2019

niemiro , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 4, 2019 :
    I have a screen protector and phone case on anyway which covers the sides of my curved screen. So in the end my OnePlus 6 has a flat screen after all..

6. kKoI1233
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

kKoI1233 , Dec 4, 2019 :
    There ain't many things i like flat but a screen, definitely has to be flat for me

varmai, anhung2100, Ben_02 and 5 others like this.
  7. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Dec 4, 2019

G_Mr_.... , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Hi, I prefer the flat screen, feels better & looks better, it's more practical in my opinion that is[e]1f60f[/e]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019

8. script
    Nougat Moderator Dec 4, 2019

varmai, OALEXANDER, Ben_02 and 11 others like this.
  9. Manzo9120
    Donut Dec 4, 2019

10. a906891
    Eclair Dec 4, 2019

11. fedevalladares
    Donut Dec 4, 2019

varmai, anhung2100, commodoo and 7 others like this.
  12. On Droid
    Eclair Dec 4, 2019

14. NeyURU
    Donut Dec 4, 2019

15. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Dec 4, 2019

AnonymousWP , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Flat, definitely. Don't think OnePlus would get non-curved though. Their 'sellers' (like Samsung) doesn't make those good displays without a curve.

hobbesthedog and G_plusone like this.
  16. script
    Nougat Moderator Dec 4, 2019

17. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2019

18. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 4, 2019

meatandy , Dec 4, 2019 :
    I am not so sure about being the
    greatest dichotomies of 2019...

However I enjoy a semi- curved screen .

19. J1555208681456
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2019

J1555208681456 , via OnePlus 6T , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Flat is just better.

I wouldnt buy a phone with a curved screen, its way more fragile. For me, and in my country, even flagship killers are expensive, i love my 6t, but 500 usd right now are more than 2000 BRL, more than 2 times the minimum wage here in Brazil. So I can't afford a repair, my 6t is never caseless or without the screen protector, a curved screen is just not worth the risks, and a big hole for camera in the back glass is also not worth it (as I ve seen with some 7T back glass breaking). Also i love the teardrop notch, dont kill it please :)

varmai, GianniRosato, Ben_02 and 6 others like this.