The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. Q1577550486837
    Cupcake Jan 12, 2020

2. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 12, 2020 :
    Actually, the confusing version gave me a chuckle. Our local curvy bar was shut down by the vice squad.

Richard

E1571407690836 likes this.
  3. E1571407690836
    Froyo Jan 12, 2020

4. E1571407690836
    Froyo Jan 18, 2020

E1571407690836 , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 18, 2020 :
    l like to have flat screen, OP adopted curve screen from Samsung and Samsung is ditching curved screens with the Galaxy S20. According to leak the Galaxy the S20+ using 2.5D glass instead of curved glass. This is more like what Apple uses on iPhones and what Google has used to varying extents on the Pixel series. Thank you Samsung but OP8 series phone going to have curve screen, hopefully we will see flat screen in OP8T series or OP9.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.

5. piropiro
    Donut Feb 17, 2020

piropiro , Feb 17, 2020 :
    The curved screen drives me mad as I unintentionally click on stuff with my palm or base of thumb. This is the only issue I have with OP 7Pro.

They could just give you an option where you can make those edges numb to touch, shouldn't be too difficult.

Flat screen for life!

6. J1581684756684
    Cupcake Feb 28, 2020

J1581684756684 , Feb 28, 2020 :
    I have experienced very few accidental touches on my OP 7 Pro, but I still prefer a flat screen. Part of the reason for that preference is that cases can protect a flat screen better than a curved screen.

7. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2020

Jimbo the Great , Mar 10, 2020 :
    I prefer flat.
    I have big hands and type with both thumbs.
    With a curved screen I will often trigger the Enter key and insert a line break from my meaty palms touching the edge of the curved screen.

This is protected by the case on the flat screens... but will happen if I don't use the case, or use a case that doesn't have a "lip" to protect the screen.

I also feel that the flat screen is better protected by this lip, and I feel safer flipping my phone face down on the table with the flat screen - which I do often in meetings... (toggle to do not disturb, face down) it's become a habit.

Quality of the screen is more important to me than the aesthetic of the screen... I don't look "at the screen" or even "at the phone"... I look at what's "displaying on the screen" and the quality of that is what matters most.

I don't care much about what my phone "looks like" at all. I put it in a case... I stick a giant Scosche magnetic mount plate on the back, plop a Skinomi Techskin screen protector on the screen... and off to work.

I don't use tempered glass protectors, so flat screens are easier for me to apply the flexible protectors. I found that the glass protectors made the phantom line break problem worse, by making the phone slightly thicker, contacting my ham hands.

Again, everyone is different. Everyone has their own needs, desires, and preferences.

I prefer a flat screen.
    I like my screen notch.
    I need my headphone jack.

I like my OnePlus 6.

That may put me in a minority category, but I think many people agree with me, well, except for the notch thing.
    😆

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020

8. Jimbo the Great

Have you tried the Skinomi Techskins?

I have had pretty good luck with them, You apply them wet, and squeegee the moisture out. Then let then dry overnight before putting on the case.

Just something to try.

Your mileage may vary.
    🥂 cheers

9. Jimbo the Great

I want a completely Convex Screen, like the old CRT monitors... it should actually be a CRT... heavy and thick... with a 4 minute battery life, and interlaced scanlines...
    I think the resolution on phones is way too high...
    ...and who needs color!
    Amberchrome like my old Terminal Monitor!

Touchscreen?!?!!
    Give it a Joystick like my old Atari 2600...

🤭

lenigma1, Artemus. and Achman like this.
  10. Achman
    Gingerbread Mar 10, 2020

Achman , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 10, 2020 :
    lol

Jimbo the Great likes this.
  11. Mikkel Georgsen
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2020

Mikkel Georgsen , Mar 29, 2020 :
    Flat screen - I'm holding off upgrading my OP6 until there is a flagship device with a flat screen again. I don't care about headphone jacks, cutouts/notches, wireless chargning - all I want is a flat screen and stereo speakers, but I love the OP software.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  12. TheMG37
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2020

TheMG37 , Mar 31, 2020 :
    Flat, took a chance on the curved 7 pro and never liked it so i won't be buying the 8 pro.

13. sdeluca
    Froyo Apr 16, 2020

14. Juxto2010
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

Juxto2010 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Flat for me, I like being able to put a tempered glass screen protector on. On these curved edges I haven't found one that works right.

15. Gertjan@
    Honeycomb Apr 24, 2020

Gertjan@ , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I had ordered the Oneplus 8 pro, this has been returned.
    The curve edge is not beautiful, and on the edge of the curve, an annoying color and haze.
    Bad design and definitely not worth the amount!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020

16. lenigma1
    Cupcake Apr 29, 2020

lenigma1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 29, 2020 :
    This is a very biased, and by default incorrect statement my friend.
    I'm typing this reply on a OP7 Pro.
    I still. own a SO+, and have either had, or used for longer than a day, at least a dozen other curved or waterfall type displays.
    I still, and likely always prefer a flat display.
    I share OP's design philosophy when weighing the pros and cons of flat vs curved.
    I KNOW I'm not alone here...

17. lenigma1
    Cupcake Apr 29, 2020

lenigma1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 29, 2020 :
    This is brilliant!
    I LOVE your anti evolution, visionary approach to technology!

Swejuggalo and Jimbo the Great like this.