The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. ctonylee
    Gingerbread May 6, 2020

2. SamTheGamer39
    Froyo May 23, 2020

SamTheGamer39 , via OnePlus 8 , May 23, 2020 :
    I actually like the curved screen on my new OnePlus 8. I was originally concerned that it would cause me to accidentally touch something, but I have not had any issues with this yet.
    I really like the feel and look of a curved display. I will acknowledge that there is some very minor image distortion, but I personally am okay with it. As for the durability of the phone screen, I think that a good case with a lip should solve that issue. said:
    At the end of the day, I think it will be a matter of personal preference. Some will prefer the design of a curved screen and others will prefer flat screens.
    I think there is a place in the world for both types of screens.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020

Rakeshpv010 likes this.
  3. Manzo9120
    Donut Jun 1, 2020

Yaric and luannaue like this.
  4. Bastes
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2020

Bastes , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Flat, and with a bit of a distance (1-3mm) from the sides:
    - easier not to break
    - easier not to touch accidentally
    - easier to hold
    - better with cases and gestures
    - easier and cleaner to put a flat protection

5. G_Mochamad_Aris_Zamroni_
    Cupcake Sep 20, 2020

G_Mochamad_Aris_Zamroni_ , Sep 20, 2020 :
    Flat,18:9, max 70mm width, on screen menu, no notch, no punch hole!
    A small top bezel like samsung s9 doesn't hurt. It also contains iris scanner that works well with mask while more secure than apple face id

Yaric, Swapnil77780 and Atharv_des like this.
  6. o0snoopy0o
    Eclair Sep 20, 2020

o0snoopy0o , Sep 20, 2020 :
    Now that I have been using this phone for almost a year, I can confirm that a curved screen has 99% no impact on the way I use the phone. 1% of the time there is web content that is too close to the edge that cannot be clicked and I just rotate the screen. I still love this phone for how advanced it is. Great phone, keep the price real.

vishrutkmr7 and Rakeshpv010 like this.
  7. AlanSarz
    Cupcake Sep 25, 2020

AlanSarz , Sep 25, 2020 :
    flat screen. I have the 7 Pro and don't like the curved for gaming or reading text that takes up the entire screen.

Yaric and superplus like this.
  8. vanemmy
    Eclair Nov 12, 2020

vanemmy , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Nov 12, 2020 :
    I would have to say flat. I have an OP 8 and I love the curved screen. I just tried out the OP 8T and the flat screen on that phone just feels so smooth. I have to say flat is better

Yaric, superplus and Nabodit like this.
  9. McSoftly
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2020

McSoftly , Nov 21, 2020 :
    Flat screen! I really dislike both the esthetics and the usability of curved screens.

10. R32Hoo
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2020

R32Hoo , Dec 4, 2020 :
    8 Pro is my first curved screen phone. I love the screen. Feels great and works perfectly scrolling through contacts and pictures using the edge. I don't get many inadvertent touches, either.

11. Q1556856887770
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2020

12. Yaric
    Cupcake Jan 14, 2021

Yaric , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 14, 2021 :
    I am doubling down on flat screen. Even samsung now going away from such curved screens, their screens now have less curvature and as a result have less unintentional touches, and Samsung's FE (which is a bestseller) have a flat screen. We see that all around trend is that companies going away from inconvenient curved screens, and I hope OnePlus will not ignore this reasonable trend.

As for me, I am willing to buy OnePlus flagship phone, because I just love my 7t, but curved screen of 8 pro is discourage me.

I don't know, maybe OnePlus should launch some kind of "FE" phone, but originally company was for tech enthusiasts, and it's phones were by default kind of "FE phones". Of course everything changes, but it is never too late to fix some bug. OnePlus please think about it.

13. D1624893040547
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2021

D1624893040547 , Nov 17, 2021 :
    The OP 8 was my first curved display phone since probably the iPhone 3gs. At first I was not thrilled about it. Over time, I developed less of an aversion however still lean toward flat for sure. Nothing major though, there are times when I misfire typing due to the curve or lighting hits it just right to cause excessive reflections at odd angles. Also the curve adds a bit of increased drop hazard.

Pre-ordered a Pixel 6... intrigued by the flat screen, enhanced call/spam screening, Tensor chip, obtaining monthly updates to name a few things. I sent it back for a refund after 2 weeks of moderately heavy use- not at all due to the "refreshing" flat screen...
    • The darned thing is slippery and with the camera bar, unwieldy... causes a bit of paranoia when setting it down
    • Android 12 and the whole kindergarten cookie cutter look were not appealing at all. OxygenOS lock and home screen flexibility remains my favorite "skin"/whatever you want to call it
    • The Pixel 6 display had a yellow cast to it and was far dimmer and dull compared to OP 8 or any of the displays on the herd of my computers.
    • The fonts looked squatty and wide compared to OP 8
    • Charging, well you know... not what I expected based on marketing claims :|
    The best part of my long-ish post:

I can't get the flat screen out of my head so now went and ordered an OP 8T !!! Muhaha!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021

superplus likes this.
  14. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Nov 17, 2021

Cheetosdust , Nov 17, 2021 :
    Hah, please do let the thread know about your findings when you start using the OnePlus 8T. :cool:

superplus likes this.
  15. D1624893040547
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2021

D1624893040547 , Nov 29, 2021 :
    I really do like a flat mobile screen best. Nothing at all wrong with the OP 8 otherwise.

The advantages of the 8T are worth the extra outlay in my opinion:
    • 12 GB RAM / 256 GB storage
    • 120 Hz display
    • More "device compatible" charger
    • Camera changes in hardware and position
    • Slightly larger battery, etc.
    The Warp 65 charger now is the only one I have to carry with me since it charges my other USB-C devices too (unlike OP 8 Warp 30 version). I am a bit concerned about long term impact(s) of always fast charging on battery life/health. Is there a way to do that at "slower speed" sometimes or is fast charging an always on default?

Black and other colors on that end of the spectrum definitely appear darker on the display compared to 90 Hz OP 8 screen.

All I'd really like to see now is a better camera app (which appears to be coming along to some extent in Android 12).