The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. dinakaran.sensor
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

2. Max.Mar
    Jelly Bean Dec 5, 2019

Max.Mar , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flaaaaaat. 2.5D is acceptable though..but nothing as curved curve. ;)

4. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2019

5. Caleb Meier , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I personally love the aesthetics of curved screens. Along with the notchless display, it makes content consumption a joy. A flat screen would not be a deal breaker for me if I were to choose new phones, but I still prefer curved. Who doesn't want to have an all-screen display with a 90htz refresh rate?

6. AnasKhanAzmi007
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

GianniRosato likes this.
  7. AnasKhanAzmi007
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

8. Suresh_Chandran
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

9. Vansh99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2019

Vansh99 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Nice to see a thread that just doesn't show how 7T is "superior" to 7Pro in a few cases and a reasonable argument.

I really don't have a preference. Ever since Samsung S8 came out, I really liked the curved displays. The look makes it look really premium compared to a flat screen display. One of the reasons I picked up my 7pro was the curves, I always wanted a curved phone but I wasn't a fan of Samsung's UI.

With Android 10, the back gesture from the sides feel much better on a curved screen than on flat. Same goes for scrolling, feels much better.

Down side for me was finding a tempered glass. I found one but really expensive it's really hard to put them on. Flat screens' tempered glass can be replaced easily and it isn't as expensive to replace the front panel if you crack it.

One big thing is glare, there's no glare on flat screens like you mentioned. I never cared about glare, the only time they bother me are when playing CoD (no more pubg XD).

Now do I regret having a curved 7pro? Definitely not, I like the curves and I'm very careful with my phone but if I had the option to flat screen 7pro would I have picked that? Probably yes if it was much cheaper (like 50 to 100 bucks).

10. Jessy Saji
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

11. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 5, 2019

Radeon962 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat. Curved screens distort the edge view and don’t feel right in my hand. Makes tempered glass harder to fit correctly.

12. Sagarthukral
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

13. Kashif0938
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

14. PARANOIA
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

PARANOIA , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat screen. More practical, easier to find and apply good screen protectors without using absurd liquid adhesives and stuff. No image distortions - see things on screen as they were designed to be seen. Less prone to damage.

15. F1575221439709
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

F1575221439709 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    This will be my first phone with a curved screen, so I'll have to wait and see. Getting a little nervous based on the prevalent preference for flat screens

16. swaraj_c.r. , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I love the curved screen, because of the immersive display. sometimes when I watch a movie I get involved into it and that's because of the curved screen and Dolby Atmos sound.
    I suggest to OnePlus that it could have used the gorilla glass 6 for the display .

17. AmitKumarDas
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

18. Caleb Meier , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Unless you drop your phone a lot, you shouldn't have a problem. I have the 7 Pro, and the curved screen is a blast. It's very immersive and I don't run into accidental touches very often. If you're planning on rocking the phone bare, then you might run into accidental touches. Other than that it really just comes down to personal preference, curved screens are not something to be worried about unless you drop your phone frequently. If you do then a case is a simple fix that will reduce the chances of shattering the screen, but that can happen with any phone regardless if it is curved or not.

insainity, Aneesh Miryala and muzahid like this.
  19. Caleb Meier , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I agree with you 100%. I'm very careful with mine and I'm rocking a plastic screen protector. In reality, I don't consider the plastic to be screen protectors because they are basically the plastic film that you would pull off a brand new phone (that little film you peel of a new phone to protect it during shipping), but at least it's something. The tempered glass ones are way too expensive for curved screens and it can be a bit annoying, but I really only rely on screen protectors for resisting scratches.

Other than the rant on screen protectors I'm in love with curved displays, they give you a clean and immersive viewing experience, and is especially good for content consumption. A flat screen is also in no way a deal breaker for me when purchasing a phone, but I like a curved one;). I want to see other software integration OnePlus can do with curved screens. There are many directions it could head.

insainity, muzahid and Vansh99 like this.
  20. Atharv_des
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

Atharv_des , via OnePlus 6T , Dec 5, 2019 :
    For the looks wise, I would definitely go for the OnePlus 7 Pro's curvy display but for a day to day usage, I would prefer a flat screen as it is easier to hold. Although the animations for notification is amazing, I would not mind having the normal notification. For the curved display, while you take out the phone, there are a lot of chances of having accidentally touches which is pretty annoying to a person who takes it out every 20 minutes. While gaming, I really like to hold the device steady and you my index fingers to hold the phone at the top. This is easy if the phone's display is flat but did the display is curved then it is nearly impossible to hold it without small and annoying movement every second. Also if you were to out a screen protector on the curved display, you would have to give out a lot of money because curved screen protectors aren't that common. So in the end I would go for a flat screen phone.