The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. MFaisalT.89
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

manuel19 and Harpreet@532 like this.
  2. Harpreet@532
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

Harpreet@532 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    off course a flat screen is much more functional and easy to handle ease of carrying phone without case no accidental chance that screen may be touched by hands

yes I love curved screen too but if we compare both of them curved screen just look awesome to one's eyes that I think and serve very little purposes

Again wish OnePlus team giving us flat version screen in future too

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and manuel19 like this.
  3. manuel19
    KitKat Dec 5, 2019

manuel19 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat all the way! I really hope OnePlus announces a Phone with a flat screen next year so I can replace my 7pro :( love the phone but I love the 7t much more after using it for a while..

4. manuel19
    KitKat Dec 5, 2019

manuel19 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Really? In my opinion, it feels worse. :/ It feels stupid to go around the side with your finger, much easier on a flat screen

5. charmingash
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

6. JelleZon
    Lollipop Dec 5, 2019

JelleZon , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I also don't get the "feature" of the curved screen. Why? Is there any use?

No edge gestures like on Samsung devices for example

7. MFaisalT.89
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

MFaisalT.89 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    by the way guys... sorry for the long post... but...

I've always hated the curves on every "edged" phone I got, which was many.... and then I've decided to move back to flats....
    But then again after my OP7, I've decided to get the most premium thing out there. Now I'm back to curves again with the beautifully crafted, amazing 7TP..... AND ABSOLUTELY NOT FEELING ALL THE CURVES' DISADVANTAGES WITH IT AT ALL
    !!!
    It's really weird I'm liking it again, but the OP7P & the OP7TP are INMHO.....

The most refined Androids to date!

8. MFaisalT.89
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

MFaisalT.89 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    There actually aren't, but it just looks more futuristic and cooler in some people's opinions.
    Plus you could add apps that utilize the curvy touch area, and then again it's also doable on flat screens.

Anyway, it looks and feel more premium. And btw, now with the 7P & 7TP the engineers have totally eliminated accidental ghost touches, at least in my case.

9. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Dec 5, 2019

Bouncer71 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Well, isn't it a matter of taste...?

I've been using the 7Pro for 9 months now...
    It's definitely a great screen but I would like it even more if it were flat... ;)

How about respecting other peoples opinions...?
    You like curved screens..?
    Great.. :)
    Others don't...
    Also great... ;)

That's what a debate/discussion is all about...

10. Chiffonkek
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

Chiffonkek , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat. Easier to install screen protectors, less accidental touch input, cases fit more snugly, and no distortion when I view content on it.

The 7T Pro is my first phone with a curved display and fortunately the curve is subtle enough for me to ignore most of the time, but I still wished it was flat. Would've been perfect if it was.

11. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Dec 5, 2019

12. Singh Jagseer
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

13. iBharat , via OnePlus 6 Amber Red , Dec 5, 2019 :
    flat screen phones are okay, imo. I have only tried flat screen phones all my life. i think curved screens would be better if they don't hinder the performance and day-to-day usage!!! also 2K to 4K screens only should make it curved displays on phones. with 120GHz to 144GHz refresh rate to keep things interesting.

14. G_ben_owen_YwOR
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

15. vineetmital
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

vineetmital , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat. Any day. Curved is distorting the view. Want to have edge functionality do it with a swipe bar like miui notes

16. luannaue
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

17. Prabal_titanium27 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Curved screen for me. Keeping aside the above mentioned flaws, it still is the most premium looking phone with the best OS. Would love to have some functionality for the curved edges in near future in OxygenOS.

Aneesh Miryala likes this.
  18. Antonio_Luis
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 5, 2019 :
    The only reason I sold my 7pro and picked up the 7, was because of the drawbacks to the curved display. The lack of good screen protectors leaves the device vulnerable to scratching, particularly along the curved portion. Taking the device in and out of my pocket showed the wear and tear on that part of the screen. And of course the phantom touches reaching over the display one handed, but I don't consider that a design flaw, I just think the phone was too big for my hands. Flat display all day. That's why I picked up the 7t the day it was released at the NYC pop up event.

19. script
    Nougat Moderator Dec 5, 2019

script , Dec 5, 2019 :
    On a more serious note, watching pictures or videos on a curved screen is simply distorted. That's why I don't support it and prefer a flat screen.

A solution would be, to add a feature in the gallery to show content only on the flat part of the curved screen. The displayed area would be a bit smaller, and either people who like this or that screen are happy, as far as the distortion of the curved display is concerned.

20. OnePlusAim
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

OnePlusAim , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    curved Screen all the way, I don't like the look or feel of a flat screen. a curved Screen feels natural. a flat screen just feels uncomfortable and ..yes Gross, I hate it. The Curved Screen Looks Waaaay Better