The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. OnePlusAim
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

OnePlusAim , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    distorted how? I've used all of the Samsung curved screen phones the waterfall screen phones and of course this one plus seven Pro. I've only ever had a perfect viewing experience on all of the curved phones this distortion that you speak of...never had it.

3. rahulchaks
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

4. Deactivated User
    Dec 5, 2019

hobbesthedog, OscarPapa6 and manuel19 like this.
  5. dahakem
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

6. superplus
    Lollipop Head Moderator Dec 5, 2019

superplus , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Flat. No debate necessary :p

Nope, never thought they did, never will do :p

Not really, they give off a wanna-be Samsung look to me. I never liked the curved edges of the Samsung devices. Never will do.

You could still have a pop-up camera on a flat screen too though, right? :rolleyes:

Nope, again not, sorry, it just adds a pain.

There are plenty of other solutions, I'm sure you could even use a Horizon-like implementation on a flat screen :cool:

Again, you can have buttonless with a flat screen :rolleyes:

Oh please no :(

I only see downsides, this is one of them.

This is obviously the biggest one.

Exactly this. You see, no debate necessary. Curved just makes 0 sense :p So far we are at: Flat 10 - Curved -4 (yes, that is a minus sign for Curved ;))

Not to mention I find playing certain non-3d games on the curved screen incredibly nauseating.

Sooooo, let's sum it up. Flat. Always flat. Flat now. Flat tomorrow. Flat please. With a bit of flat on top. Tyvm ;)

7. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Dec 5, 2019

mojoyoyo77 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    For me there is no doubt the flat screen is much better in all aspects, the only small advantage it can have is aesthetic and in turn is debatable.
    The flat screen is better in these aspects:
    Better viewing angle
    The inevitable reflections on the edges of the curved glass.
    Distorted image at the edges.
    Better integration in the phone chassis at the corners of the 7Pro the union is not smooth, leaves steps that accumulate dirt and scrape to the touch.
    Unwanted on-screen touches.
    Screen more vulnerable to shocks.
    Although I never put tempered glass (they are horrible and break easily), tempered glass for a curved screen is much more complicated to manufacture and even more so that it fits well.
    Price, I'm not sure, but I guess it will be cheaper to manufacture.
    You may forget something, but the flat screen in practice is much better. The only advantage of the curve is aesthetic and this is also debatable. No technical argument in favor.

8. mojoyoyo77

10. Z1572824129100
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

Z1572824129100 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I have had both - curved screen with my old Galaxy S6 Edge and now flat screen with my OnePlus 7T. I thought i might miss the curve, but I really do not. The cons mentioned were never a problem for me, especially since I keep my phone in a flip case, but the pros never seemed really important either. I must admit, I do like the look of the curve, but not enough to justify the price difference.

11. OscarPapa6
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

12. AbdNz
    Froyo Dec 5, 2019

13. W1574567566869
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

14. a.rejaul.karim
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

a.rejaul.karim , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I see phones as practical functional tool, and Flat display are the best way to go for a daily usage tools.

Practicality comes before Shattering my phone display accidentally [e]270c[/e]️

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019

15. Z1572824129100
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

Z1572824129100 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I have to disagree. I moved from a curved screen to a flat screen. I can honestly say it is not important to me.

16. mojoyoyo77

mojoyoyo77 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I really like my OP 7 Pro, but if the screen were flat it would be perfect.
    Unwanted touches often hinder the work, sometimes the screen does not respond well or you make mistakes because you are touching the screen unintentionally. When you are viewing photos or video, curved edges are a hindrance, due to the degradation of the image and reflections. Technically they contribute nothing, only disadvantages, it was a bad idea to put them in the Pro model. Hopefully they disappear in OP 8 Pro

17. Danyfdz89
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  18. script
    Nougat Moderator Dec 5, 2019

script , Dec 5, 2019 :
    #Best answer

19. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Dec 5, 2019

Bouncer71 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Like in the days of "The Jack"..?? :D

superplus and script like this.