The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. Adex0ne
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2019

Adex0ne , via OnePlus 7 Pro Almond , Dec 5, 2019 :
    With the fact that Android devices are going curved screen now, not sure if OnePlus would do otherwise, but for me , I don't want a punch hole.

Seems all the OEM do go for a meeting to talk about what trend of finicky should they give the masses, Can't tell.

Samsung screens are used mostly, that's another thing to look at .

Bouncer71 likes this.
  2. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 5, 2019

superplus , Dec 5, 2019 :
    First thought I had upon seeing the responses in this thread... But it's by a Brand Ambassador and not an "official" Twitter poll, eh? :rolleyes::p

Bouncer71 likes this.
  3. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Dec 5, 2019

Bouncer71 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Well...
    I wasn't the one calling @Carl...
    Upps...
    Sorry @Pete... ;)

Tags with the Community App don't work anyways...;)

script and superplus like this.
  4. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 5, 2019

mojoyoyo77 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Negative, I used flat screen and curved screen, the curved screen only brings disadvantages, the display and usability on the flat screen is much better, what advantages can you name in favor of the curved screen?

5. KingShashank
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2019

6. Aneesh Miryala , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I'm loving the Curved Display on my OnePlus 7 pro.

Curved screens look and feel way more better than the Flat screens. It adds up to a big part of the aesthetics of the device. The horizon lights! It just looks amazing everytime I receive a notification!. The Android 10 back gestures feel very good on a curved screen compared to a flat one.

The accidental touches, however become very less in course of time as you keep using the device. Also, it would be great if it can be fixed with software update as mentioned above.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019

7. hobbesthedog
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

hobbesthedog , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Most people here who prefer curved mentioned that it's mostly about a premium feel. I understand it's a matter of preference, but I don't feel it's necessary, and I feel there may be better options for OnePlus now.

It's already shown that a phone can feel "premium" without a curved screen. Arguably the most premium phone, the iPhone, has a flat screen. What makes it feel so much more premium is the uniformly thin bezels and chin. Although the bezels aren't the absolute thinnest, they are thin enough for almost everyone.

The OnePlus 7 and 7T pro have comparable chins, but the problem is that OnePlus decided to try to shrink the other bezels even more so that the chin still stands out. The curved screen doesn't help with this, and I feel it even makes the phone feel less premium as it makes the bezels even more uneven.

What I'm hoping for is a phone with uniform bezels and a flat screen. OnePlus has already shown that they can produce a chin comparable to the iPhone, so the bezels will still be relatively thin. The phone could feel nearly indistinguishable from a flagship, and I would say, better than the iPhone for almost half the price. Of course, this could be only one of the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro, leaving the other for those who like curved screens.

Who else agrees with me?

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and Caleb Meier like this.
  8. R1575578028142
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

R1575578028142 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Curved displays look great, but for actual usage I much prefer a flat screen, that's why I bought a 7T instead of the 7T Pro.

9. Z1570479969105
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

Z1570479969105 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I have the Oneplus 7T and came from the Galaxy S8. I had the galaxy for about 3 years and was used to the curved screen but I love the smoothness of the 7T. Its a toss up.

10. Secondbushome
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2019

Secondbushome , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Coming from a Samsung phone, I was already familiar with the curved display design. While there are drawbacks, I do think it adds a sense of depth and immersion to the display, like the image is spilling off the edge of the display rather than just getting cut off the way a flat screen looks. It is something more aesthetic than functional.

With that said, I think Samsung's deeper curve that's closer to the edge looks better. Less of the edge is distorted while still providing the same effect.

11. DeoreDX
    Donut Dec 5, 2019

DeoreDX , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I won't not get a phone because it has a curved screen (hey I own a OP7Pro) but I will choose flat over curved 100% of the time all other things being equal. I consider curved a negative instead of a positive feature.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and superplus like this.
  12. S1570110382841
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

S1570110382841 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Curved. It's generally way more aesthetically pleasing for me personally. And I actually haven't encountered much problems with accidental touches.

13. C1572585695886
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

C1572585695886 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I prefer my screen curved. I haven't experienced the problems posed in the article and I love how it looks

14. jagphsd
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

jagphsd , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 5, 2019 :
    So... FLAT is clearly winning here and most users on this post prefer it. I guess that means we are just going to have CURVED screens on the next Oneplus devices, just as it happened when they asked if we wanted to keep the headphone jack. Clearly yes, and they still removed it!

Love Oneplus but this type of posts feels just like lots of nice talk trying to justify something they know many users don't like. Just like the post trying to justify the circular camera module on the 7T.

Man, if you as a company are sure of what you are doing and are completely confident about your decisions, you don't need to post this kind of threads trying to convince people about what you did. It makes you look insecure and unconfident. You can tell that on the original post; the amount of praise to curved screens vs. the little mention about its disadvantage.

Anyway, yes curved looks nice, but that's all. My vote is for flat.

Cheers.

15. Caleb Meier , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I respect that. There is really no point in a curved display. It's is just a weird trend that Samsung started with it's Galaxy S7 edge. Curved screens don't add really any functionality to the phone unless companies integrate software to accompany the curved screens.

Even though there is no point in a curved screen, I like them anyway and it makes my 7 Pro look like a more premium device. They manage to shrink the side bezels to nothing and it makes the phone feel thinner as well. I just recently visited a T-Mobile store and tried out the 7t on display. I really liked it and I also didn't mind the flat display, even though I'm a sucker for curved screens.

Anyways it seems like many people prefer flat over curved and it is something I'm okay with. The flat vs curved debate is just a lost cause because it doesn't matter how the screen is designed, glass is glass and glass breaks. Yes curved are way easier to shatter and it is hard to access a good tempered glass screen protector without breaking the budget. But if that is something a person is okay with, then that's fine. I never drop my phone so I'm okay with a curved screen.

hobbesthedog likes this.
  16. Tominus46
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

Tominus46 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I like my 7 pro. but i prefer flat screens. and I wish phones weren't as thin as they are. I'd take a thicker phone, more battery, no camera hump.

17. jetdragon67
    Gingerbread Dec 6, 2019

jetdragon67 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I prefer curved. I love the way it looks, feels as well. Honestly wish oneplus would have built an side sense or edge screen into the pro series. Without something like that, it feels incomplete. And yes I'm aware you can do that with 3rd party apps but I want it built in from oneplus.

dan_0272 likes this.
  18. kingult
    Donut Dec 6, 2019

kingult , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 6, 2019 :
    flat. no glare, better for everything except pretty renders.
    also, I love the notchlessness of the 7 pro. I just wish it had a flat screen, a headphone jack and expandable storage.

19. Akhil Arumugam
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

Akhil Arumugam , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I will choose curved screen over flat screen all day long. This level of curved screen gives the premium look for a smartphone. I haven't had any issues like phantom touch. It's definitely 7pro or 7T pro for me😎

dan_0272 likes this.