The Great Screen Debate: Flat vs. Curved

1. jeeters
    Eclair Dec 6, 2019

jeeters , Dec 6, 2019 :
    Flat. Sometimes the curve of the screen fails to register touches, like opening the hamburger menu or in-app back buttons which are always on top left corner of the screen.

I had the same issue back when Galaxy S6 Edge started this trend. So this is the biggest issue for me regarding curved screens.

2. Hanoch_Rabinovitz
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  3. P1566690329786
    Eclair Dec 6, 2019

P1566690329786 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I really didn't think I would have a preference but after purchasing the OnePlus 7 Pro I like the curved screen. When using my phone I can simply reach over with my thumb, feel for that curve and navigate easily. I have a flat screen on my work phone (Samsung A70) and find myself trying to use it as if it was a curved screen. Maybe this also shows a preference for the navigation features? Samsung has their own but I don't use them. (I'm not overly educated in the world of tech so I could be talking nonsense). Or maybe my thumb is just lazy.

Dar0729 likes this.
  4. Barreth07
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

Barreth07 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    i think, comparing my galaxy S7 edge and my oneplus 7pro, that 1+ has a better curve, its not too exaggerated, however i used to use the s7 edge first and that is a violent curve [e]1f483[/e]

5. 666Syco , via OnePlus 6T Midnight Black , Dec 6, 2019 :
    Flat screen please. the curved screen you got to pay $45 to Whitestone to get a tempered glass shield that fits properly and looks perfect on the phone while I can spend $8 and get a three to a four pack of regular tempered glass screen protectors to protect my flat screen phone which looks just as sexy as that curved screen phone does. I'd spend more to get a flat screen phone then spend less to get a curved. and that's my opinion if it matters.

6. Y1573410188611
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

7. DoctorOnCall
    Gingerbread Dec 6, 2019

DoctorOnCall , Dec 6, 2019 :
    @KeBlam

Flat over curved, any day.

A screen with curved edges looks great and honestly, more aesthetically pleasing and modern. However, the downsides that come with a curved screen just make using the screen a pain in the behind.

The obvious problems are -

• The edge glare (especially in daylight, sometimes under bright lighting indoors as well). The edge glare just takes away a few millimetres of screen edge away from you when using the phone. You can't see what's there and instead of increasing screen real estate it honestly takes more screen away than the usual flat displays.
    • Like you said, false touches. It is too much of a headache to remain on edge while using your phone constantly, trying not to accidentally send a wrong text, push a wrong button, swipe when you don't want to, or lose a game due to an unintended touch.
    • Again, as mentioned, easy breakability. The curved panels are much easier to break accidentally and need constant effort to not drop even from heights that a normal Gorilla Glass sandwich phone with a flat display would easily survive.
    • A flat display allows much more space inside the device to add a few drops of extra battery, if nothing else. When even the likes of Apple are realising that people want their device batteries to last longer on a charge much more than their devices seeming sleeker or thinner, I think it is time to accept that curved displays are just not worth the pain. (Of course, OnePlus batteries and chargers have always made me more than happy. All I'm saying is, I'd rather have a little more battery life that could come from flattening out the curved display.)

In short, functionality, comfort and peace of mind over a marginally sleeker appearance? ABSOLUTELY.

8. R1559878081416
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

R1559878081416 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    My 7 Pro is the first curved screen I have owned. I have never had a case on any of my smart phones and for that fact I was a bit concerned over false touches however I found my fears were unfounded. The design of the 7 Pro keeps my fingers from false touches. It isn't like I don't have any but I used to have them on my Samsung S7 (non edge) at about the same frequency.

Dar0729 likes this.
  9. The GREAT LOKO
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

10. hobbesthedog
    Eclair Dec 6, 2019

hobbesthedog , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I 100% agree. Another thing that even Apple observed is that people care more about uniform bezels than each individual one being as small as possible. The OnePlus 7 Pro could have not had a noticeable chin, but due to the top being extra small, the chin is still obvious. The curved screen just doesn't help with that. In my opinion, it makes the phone look less premium by making the bezels more uneven.

11. alishan212
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2019

alishan212 , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I prefer the flat screen. I'd rather have a single notification LED which is far more subtle than the horizon light feature.
    I find the distorted glare coming from curved edges to be extremely annoying. They keep diverting my attention from what I'm doing. It's just a personal preference, of course.
    And then there's the matter of stability and safety.

Curved screens for me are a big no.

12. nateavi
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2019

C1572585695886 and Dar0729 like this.
  13. Dar0729 , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I have The 7 Pro and personally I love the curved screen over the flat. I don't have a screen protector. However, I do have a case that actually has a slight bumper on the edge which helps protect the screen. I've dropped it a couple of times and no cracks! I had an iPhone before and had a screen protector and still cracked that one time I dropped it.. Not sure if it was just bad luck or the Gorrila glass on the OnePlus is really good! Plus I love the advantage of watching media and playing games on the beautiful screen. Not sure if I could go back to a "Notch" after this phone..

14. Dar0729 , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I agree. I have the OnePlus 7 Pro and I love it..I get all the time what phone is that? I got a great deal on my phone. Paid just over 500. Now when you compare it to the competition, it's a huge difference. And specs are better in this phone than most of the heavy weights out there...(Sorry off topic) YESS! I LOVE MY CURVE SCREEN.

C1572585695886 likes this.
  15. Pankkajarora
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2019

Pankkajarora , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    Curves for sure.

A flat-screen is boring and when we're in the age of getting foldable phones then why not curve screen on my next OnePlus phone.

C1572585695886 and Dar0729 like this.
  16. kodomolion
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2019

kodomolion , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 7, 2019 :
    i have the galaxy s9 before returning back to a oneplus phone. those curved screens appear nice and cool, but lacks practicality. i have many times got frustrated during photo touch up because it is hard to "draw" at the curved edges. also sometimes your touch doesnt register, so you cant draw a simple smooth line near the edges. another very major disadvantage of curved screen is that it cause a lot of light glares, making the screen hard to read! frustrating. this is why i gave up on the oneplus 7T pro.

17. E1571407690836
    Eclair Dec 7, 2019

E1571407690836 , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I used both curved and flat screen phone but I like flat screen over curve. I have have been watching thousands of reviews on YouTube, Most of the YouTubers like flat screen vs curved. curved screen serves no benefits. My humble request to OnePlus is please make one plus 7t with pop up camera or OnePlus 7t pro with flat screen. There is reason why iPhone also stick with flat screen. No distortion while watching video, not glare at the edges, no accidental touches, easy to install screen glass protector on it etc. where as curve screen phone only looks good in pictures, there is no real benefit of it.

18. krsagar
    Donut Dec 7, 2019

krsagar , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I wasn't a big fan of curved displays until the 7 Pro which, I believe, is great at cancelling out palm touches. A curved display is more immersive and I have never ever faced handling issues with the OP 7 Pro.

19. timrose1973
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

timrose1973 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I've always had flat screened phones until l got my OnePlus 7t pro, l love the 90hz display but l have had some issues trying to source good quality curved screen protectors, that's the only real issue other than that really impressed.