Where do you want the headphone jack?

1. Top

61.9%
  2. Bottom

38.1%
  1. worco
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2014

worco , Apr 22, 2014 :
    i dont see any good reason for the top. my actual phone has it, and its sooo annoying it.
    when i put it in the pocket, i put it upside down, so when i pull it up, its right in my hand. in that case, having earphones plugged in really doesnt work well witht he jack at the top. even if i hold it in my hand to watch a video, if its at the top, its always hanging around my hands or even the screen, so i really dont understand why companies start to do that.

andrazzh likes this.
  2. T00Sp00kyFoU
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2014

T00Sp00kyFoU , Apr 22, 2014 :
    You are correct, but with portability in mind its something I'm not willing to carry all the time. The headphones are already big enough.

3. Deactivated User
    Apr 22, 2014

4. mamosixx
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2014

5. jalex3
    Froyo Apr 22, 2014

6. Phantom
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2014

7. januso
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2014

8. Sevan
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2014

9. gcombette
    Cupcake Sep 5, 2014

gcombette , Sep 5, 2014 :
    My question: How many "poles" in the Jack connector???
    Sony offers quite inexpensive active noise reduction headsets that works only on those '5 poles' jack connectors... If not on the OnePlus One, might be a smart move to integrate such a technology for active noise reduction while listening to music... think about it, high end brands offers noise reduction or noise cancelling headsets only at over 250$ for the fead set only... if the OnePlus could do it (like the Sony Z2, Z3, but at over 600$) that would make the OnePlus One the "must have" phone for any travelling people!!! Imagine a 350$ beauty phone + 40$ headset for a full noise cancelling music experience...

10. Hewy
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

Hewy , Sep 5, 2014 :
    gotta be on the bottom it's just easier for taking it in and out of your pocket

11. stan.hunting
    Eclair Sep 16, 2014

stan.hunting , Sep 16, 2014 :
    Love my OPO...but I've noticed the headphone jack is faulty? I have tried a few different pairs of headphones that work fine on my Macbook and iPad, yet they generate static and feedback on the OPO, and the mic doesn't work through the headphones...anyone else have this issue? I'd post a dedicated thread but they won't let me given that I don't have 5 posts yet...thanks for any input in advance. Cheers.

12. tweazle
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

tweazle , Sep 19, 2014 :
    After reading some comments I just became a convert to bottom jack. And yes I voted TOP. I can't believe I am saying this since I was adamant about top jacks before. I never really gave it any thought to it, just loved the phone I owned that had a top jack. Oh look, my OnePlus has a top jack, so now I have a new thing that will bug me about it. But really, there are a few disadvantages to the top jacks.

When using a bottom jack you can place the phone in a pocket head first so there is no difference between top and bottom. But if you are in a coffee shop reading on the device the cable falls away from the device not over top of the device. Here the bottom jack scores a big win.

In any case I think headphone manufacturers should be using 90degree elbows on the plugs. An elbow helps take much of the strain off the jack when you move the cable abruptly.

13. Jsnirizarry
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

14. Consumer
    Cupcake Sep 24, 2014

Consumer , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Bottom. Ergonomically, I am convinced a large number of people who prefer the jack on the top do so solely out of habit, possibly having never used a phone that had it on the other side. While there are unavoidable situations where accessories accommodate a top jack or placing a phone upright into a shirt pocket, the larger reasoning behind it seems comprised of various routines involving adjusting the phone to charge and plug into the audio jack simultaneously, spinning the phone or awkwardly twisting the wrist or elbow as it enters or exits pants pockets (which is especially unpleasant if "pants" is not synonymous to "jeans" for you and seemingly more so if you are one to place a phone in your back pocket), and so on.

The trend of headphones jacks on the top defies consumer design, again, barring aforementioned outstanding circumstances (which seems irrelevant given the number of users who store their phone in their pants pockets). Hopefully it reverses, but by then perhaps we'll all have embraced wireless headphones.

andrazzh likes this.
  15. yasinbd
    Donut Sep 24, 2014

16. Guicki
    Froyo Sep 24, 2014

Guicki , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Top. I listed to music all the time with my phone in my purse, it's easier to put it in or out of the small inside pocket directly if it's on top. Not that it truly makes much difference.

17. TJ COMBO
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2014

TJ COMBO , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Hope the 3.5mm jack gets phased out soon to aid in better smartphone design.

Back to the question... I'd prefer it at the bottom because I'm used to having it their; all my iPhones have it placed that way.

18. xeventhorizonx
    Eclair Sep 24, 2014

xeventhorizonx , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Bottom that way when you stick it in your pocket you can just pull it out and have it facing the right way.

19. superDoge
    Froyo Sep 24, 2014

superDoge , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Do you want to get sued? because putting your 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom gets you sued!

20. Discoverdose
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 20, 2014

Discoverdose , Oct 20, 2014 :
    Someone can answer to this plz?
    I want to buy the Sony SMT 10 Microphone but i have to know how many poles there are in the jack conector...?