[The Lab] A OnePlus 7 Pro review - By AnonymousWP (Updated on 17-06-2019)

1. alek889 Donut May 20, 2019

AnonymousWP likes this.
  2. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

AnonymousWP, May 20, 2019 :
    Thank you! Today I'll make another post, where I'm adding more chapters.

buntycubal likes this.
  3. tomcaniels Gingerbread May 20, 2019

AnonymousWP likes this.
  4. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Thanks! Komt wel goed denk ik ;). Of is m'n Engels echt zo slecht?

tomcaniels likes this.
  5. tomcaniels Gingerbread May 20, 2019

tomcaniels, May 20, 2019 :
    Haha nee, valt heel erg mee! Erg goed leesbaar, maar als wetenschapper valt Nederlandse zinsbouw in het Engels me vaak op, ook bij proofreaden van collega's :p

AnonymousWP likes this.
  6. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden, May 20, 2019 :
    Thanks for the review. The mirror grey is an awful fingerprint magnet like the mirror black OP6 that I had, so that got replaced by the satin black OP6T.

Really keen to hear an honest review of the distortion and glare in bright/sun light where the display curves. I've seen youtube reviews where it looks blue or green down the edges on a white background, and in sunlight there is so much glare on the edges of the screen it's basically unusable.

AnonymousWP likes this.
  7. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Thank you! Today I'll post some new chapters. Yes, the curves give it a mirror-ish effect, unfortunately :/. It has no advantages for me, only that it looks sleek.

Android450 and buntycubal like this.
  8. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Stickied Post
    [​IMG]

In this chapter, I’ll talk about 2 cases: the TPU case, and the Sandstone case.

Since the OnePlus 5T (only US people got the TPU with the 5 already), OnePlus ships a TPU (or more recognizable: silicone case) case with its phones, and this didn’t change with the 7 Pro. Delivering a case with the phone is probably one of the best things to do as a company, and so it is in my case (no pun intended ;)).

The first impressions of this case are good. It doesn’t feel that solid, but once you’ve put the case on your phone, that feel changes. It feels good, grippy and I believe it can protect your phone if you drop it (nothing is guaranteed of course, so expect it to break when it hits the ground with the screen downwards).

Another advantage of this case is that it protects the corners as well, because of the ‘ears’ on each corner. A disadvantage though is, that the sides aren’t high enough to protect the screen itself when it hits the ground with the screen pointing downwards.

As you can see in the following image, OnePlus obviously made a cut-out for the cameras (and flash), microphones, USB-C port, speaker and the alert-slider. The buttons have a silicon layer:

[​IMG]

The outside:

[​IMG]

Some pictures where the 7 Pro is wearing its case (sounds like it’s a human wearing a jacket :p)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also got delivered a Sandstone case with the phone (mind that this won’t be shipped with your 7 Pro). Sandstone is one of the things that made OnePlus-phones unique; the OnePlus One and Two had a Sandstone back by default, but since the OnePlus X and 3, they switched to something else. Luckily, OnePlus still wants to give their customers this feeling back by making Sandstone cases for all of their devices. Even for the iPhone 6(S) at that time.

The Sandstone case feels a bit different than you’d expect if you have used a OnePlus One or OnePlus Two; it feels less rough and is (obviously, since it’s a case) less thick. This gives less grip, but fortunately still enough grip, plus that it looks pretty sleek in my opinion.

[​IMG][​IMG]

In the contrary of the TPU case, OnePlus also made cut-outs for the buttons, instead of a layer on the buttons. Unfortunately, I feel like the Sandstone case doesn’t protect as much as the TPU case does, due to the lower sides:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Stickied Post
    [​IMG]

The specifications of the phone: maybe one of the most satisfying things when you consider buying a new phone. The specs of the OnePlus 7 Pro are as following (detailed, but details matter!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Made my chapters in the table of content clickable now, so you can easily jump to chapters.

Cheetosdust and buntycubal like this.
  11. nishant85 Donut May 20, 2019

12. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

13. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread May 21, 2019

AnonymousWP likes this.
  14. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

AnonymousWP, May 21, 2019 :
    Thanks! Display chapter should be up tonight.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  15. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread May 21, 2019

AnonymousWP likes this.
  16. Alantom1 Cupcake May 21, 2019

Alantom1, May 21, 2019 :
    Hi,
    I would like to make some suggestions for OnePlus phones.
    I loovvee OnePlus but one of the main problems I find in the phones is the face recognition speed. I understand that speed is what everyone wants but it's not always that people want their phones to completely open up when they bring it to their faces. Many of my friends who have a Oneplus and I find it a problem that we are unable to view notifications on the lock screen without the phone opening up quickly. A better program would be the way iPhones use face recognition. It detects ur face and unlocks it but you have to swipe up to exit the lock screen. I feel that even though this might be a liiittlle tedious to swipe up it would work better for most people.
    Also it would also be better if you could speed up the on-screen fingerprint and most of the time it seems very hard to detect fingerprints which is a big downfall in the phone.

Thank you.

17. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Stickied Post
    [​IMG]

Resolution and refreshrate

Since the OnePlus One, OnePlus always used 1080p screens, but it was LCD, as well as the OnePlus 2. The OnePlus X was the first OnePlus phone to have AMOLED, and since then, they all have AMOLED. One of the advantages of AMOLED are that black content is really black. This is because the pixels are simply turned off. This saves energy as well.

With the launch of the OnePlus 5T, Carl Pei did a test. He showed some people a 1080p screen and said it was a 1440p screen. They all believed it, but in fact it was a 1080p screen. This was to show that a 1440p screen was not needed and a 1080p would already be enough.

One of the reasons to use 1080p over 1440p is for example:
    • More energy efficient, because the GPU has simply less pixels to take control of

• To get more frames per second in games;

• Because most people barely see a difference between the resolutions on a relative small screen.

With the 7 Pro, this changed. OnePlus decided to put a 1440p 90Hz AMOLED display. This display is HDR10+ rated, which means it has an even better contrast than ‘normal’ AMOLED displays. Pete Lau explained more about the HDR10+ certification here: Display Deep Dive - OnePlus 7 Pro Gets DisplayMate A+ Rating

Coming from a OnePlus 3, this display is a big bump up in several ways. First of all it’s much bigger, which is a pro and con; a pro because you have much more display to look at and it looks very sleek. A con because for some people, like me, it’s kind of difficult to navigate with 1 hand. Second of all, the color accuracy, brightness, refreshrate and pixel density are a big (positive) step forward. When I turned on the phone for the first time, I was very amazed by the display. To be honest, when I saw the device for the first time, or when I heard it was going rumored to get curved edges, I was disappointed. Curved edges make people think about: accidental touches, expensive repairs, slippery, vulnerable for damage, etc. But to be honest, the experience is kind of okay with those curved edges. Nevertheless, the fact is still is that it gives you more downsides than upsides. The only upside I can think of is that it looks and feels sleek. I haven't faced accidental touches, but the viewing angle isn't that good because you have those curved edges. The reflection of the sides is something you may find annoying as well.

To give the users a choice, OnePlus implemented a function where you can set the resolution on ‘auto’, which means that the display will be automatically set on 1440p or 1080p depending on the content that you are looking at. Example: 1440p videos will be displayed in 1440p and 1080p videos won’t upscale to 1440p but will remain 1080p. This is the same with photos and games, depending on the resolution support. OnePlus said this is also the case for the refreshrate: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...us-7-series-ama.1029081/page-21#post-20282468

Regarding 1440p vs 1080p: I barely see any difference, except when I'm looking very closely. To play safe anyway, I chose the automatic option.

Compared to my OnePlus 3, scrolling on a 90Hz amazed me more than I expected. In the first instance I thought it’d be an overrated feature, but using it in real-life prove me wrong. Of course it does use more battery, but in cases where I know beforehand that I need my battery that day, I’ll put everything on lowest (1080p @60Hz).

Then here some comparisons between 1440p vs 1080p.

Screenshot in 1440p mode

[​IMG]

Screenshot in 1080p mode

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1440p

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1080p mode

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1440p (2)

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1080p (2)

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1440p (3)

[​IMG]

Photo of the screen in 1080p (3)

[​IMG]

Then about 90Hz vs 60Hz: I personally feel that 90Hz is smoother now I’m used to it. Using 60Hz feels a little sluggish, especially when you use it on the OnePlus 3. The difference is smaller when using 60Hz on a 7 Pro because the SoC is much faster to process everything. Though I do thing it feels more fluid while scrolling and interacting even with the launcher. You might even see more difference if you set your animations in the developer options on 0.5. I did this for an even more smooth experience. Here some examples if you’re able to see it:

Display calibration

Because not everyone has the same taste in the color-accuracy of a display, OnePlus also provides a setting to choose different display calibrations. The 3 following options are available:

• Vivid

• Nature

• Advanced
      • AMOLED Wide Gamut

• sRGB

• Display P3

• Manual-mode

How I would describe the vivid mode is a bit as how Samsung have their screens calibrated: bright colors. Personally I don’t like it that much, cause it looks overcolored. Like green and blue are way too blue and far from realistic.

The nature mode makes the colors a bit more darker instead of light as vivid. I use Display P3. The colors are warmer, but not as warm as vivid. On my OnePlus 3 I always used sRGB, but somehow I find the colors looking a bit flat compared to Display 3. AMOLED Wide Gamut is, as vivid, too warm.

I won’t share any screenshots of this, since it’s inaccurate and the colors will change as soon as you watch those screenshots on a TN-panel, OLED panel or for example an IPS panel. This doesn’t make it representative.

Video Enhancer

There’s a separate option in the settings where you can turn on Video Enhanced, which improves displaying colors. A strange thing I found is that it is turned off by default. This setting says ‘improve colors for videos’.

[​IMG]

Brightness

Again, comparing with my OnePlus 3, the brightness has been improved. The minimum brightness is also better.

The following tests are done with both profiles on sRGB:

Maximum brightness.

[​IMG]

Minimum brightness

[​IMG]

Notification light

A thing you have to give up for more screen is the notification-LED, which was absent since the OnePlus 6T. Luckily, OnePlus found an alternative for that. When you receive a notification, the edges will get a short 'wave' of light, starting in the middle. Here's a GIF to demonstrate you what it looks like when you receive a notification:

https://youtu.be/2tosVLdlrGU

Unfortunately, you can't set anything. You can't even turn it off in the settings, but OnePlus might add that in a later update, they said.

But of course there are other alternatives as well, such as:

This was the chapter about the display. Next chapter will be about the performance! See you back then.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

18. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Mr West, May 21, 2019 :

Dude this is excellent work

AnonymousWP likes this.
  19. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

matthu.2711, May 21, 2019 :
    Wow so extensive

AnonymousWP likes this.
  20. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Thank you so much guys! Appreciate the compliments. :D Makes me more motivated to do this type of reviewing.

matthu.2711 likes this.