[The Lab] A OnePlus 7 Pro review - By AnonymousWP (Updated on 17-06-2019)

1. R1538164311753 Donut May 26, 2019

2. Krishrox Cupcake May 26, 2019

Krishrox, May 26, 2019 :
    Bro did you try any beta version

3. R1538164311753 Donut May 26, 2019

R1538164311753, May 26, 2019 :
    Lol Please understand I'm a common man who doesn't do anything other than calls photos and office related stuffs so I'm not aware of any beta

4. Krishrox Cupcake May 26, 2019

Krishrox, May 26, 2019 :
    Dude everyone here is a common man
    ok which version you were using

5. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 26, 2019

AnonymousWP, May 26, 2019 :
    Yes we already added 9.5.5 EU variant to Oxygen Updater.

Krishrox likes this.
  6. Krishrox Cupcake May 26, 2019

Krishrox, May 26, 2019 :
    i hope this will be a proof to you
    1558891755752.jpg

7. R1538164311753 Donut May 26, 2019

Lei Z. likes this.
  8. R1538164311753 Donut May 29, 2019

9. Lei Z. Test Engineer Staff Member May 31, 2019

10. Jake Jackson Eclair May 31, 2019

R1538164311753 likes this.
  11. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 1, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP, Jun 1, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Sidenote: I dirty-flashed Pie (OxygenOS 9.0.2) on my 3, so the fact that I dirty-flashed may have an impact on the results.

One of OnePlus’ keypoints has always been about the performance. The light skin (OxygenOS), high-end hardware and fast animations are the perfect combination to make this possible. OnePlus has done this since their first smartphone (the OnePlus One) until the OnePlus 7 Pro. Small spoiler: this phone feels really fast and fluid. I have used all OnePlus phones (some as daily driver, but not all of them). Of course this isn’t really a surprise when it’s a new generation of the Snapdragon SoC and a new generation of UFS, but it satisfies me for sure.

Performance in general

The performance with this phone is really good. For me, my 3 still felt fast and fluid, but now I’m using the 7 Pro it’s actually a lot more fluid. Of course, you won’t see much difference when you’re just doing light tasks as when you have to heavier tasks such as decrypting, encrypting or loading games. While writing this review, I have updated my OnePlus 3 from OxygenOS 5.0.8 to OxygenOS 9.0.2 (Pie). I’ve used it for a while and the more I have used my 7 Pro, the more I’m going to see difference. Of course, there are 3 years in between (2016 vs 2019) so a lot has changed:

• Snapdragon 855 vs Snapdragon 820 (8 cores vs 4 cores. 2.84GHz vs 2.2GHz)

• 8GB LPDDR4x vs 6GB LPDDR4 (mind that I’m using the 8/256 for the Pro and a 6/64 for the 3. There’s also a 12GB variant of the Pro)

• UFS 3.0 vs UFS 2.0

• 90Hz vs 60Hz

Those were just the hardware-specific changes that improve the performance of the device in terms of loading and fluidness. Then there are also software-specific changes which should improve the performance as well.

One of those is RAM Boost. This finally makes a lot of RAM more useful. OnePlus is known for killing apps fast in the background, but with this function, it may be not as worse. RAM Boost pre-loads regularly-used apps in RAM, so when you open an app that you use frequently, it will open up faster because it was already pre-loaded.

At the same time, and this also bothers me, is that people wonder why OxygenOS uses around 4-6GB RAM without doing much. RAM Boost is the answer, since it’s enabled by default. This is how RAM should always work. It’s also the case with Google Chrome on Windows. People complain about the high RAM usage, while it’s one of the reasons why Chrome (and also Chromium) is so fast.

Another reason why the phone feels so fast, is because of the animations. Personally I always prefer 0.5x for all the animations, which you can set in the developer options (after tapping ‘build number’ for 5 times).

Another reason is the recently introduced Fnatic mode, which can be used when you’re gaming. It’ll limit the background processes and allocates all that CPU power and available RAM to the game. I’ll tell more about those things in the chapter ‘Software’. I don’t do a lot of mobile gaming myself, but I tried a couple of games and then run smoothly. Those games weren’t heavy though, but I’ll surely test some games out later and may add them to my review if this is an important aspect for you.

Speed test - boot times

Whenever I turn off my OnePlus 7 Pro and I turn it back on again, I’m still amazed by the fact how fast that goes. With my OnePlus 3, it took quite some time. Here a comparison between those two. In this test, the OnePlus 3 runs on OxygenOS 9.0.2 (Pie) and the OnePlus 7 Pro on OxygenOS 9.5.5 (Pie) with around the same (amount of) apps:

Speed test - opening apps

Because you open up apps a lot more times than booting your phone, I decided to also make a video of a comparison between my OnePlus 3 running on OxygenOS 9.0.2 (Pie), and the OnePlus 7 Pro on OxygenOS 9.5.5 (Pie), with around the same (amount of) apps. Since synthetical benchmarks don’t say much, I won’t post any of them (also because they can be easily looked up for the comparison).

Microphone test

I like visiting concerts and festivals, but when I do and shoot some videos, the sound quality was awful with my 3. It was just 1 big long bass that I heard. You couldn’t hear the high tones anymore, just bass. With my OnePlus 7 Pro, this has changed enormously. On the moment of writing, I’ve tried to include dB tests, but since those tests aren’t accurate and it needs a lot of calibration (and because I don’t have real gear for this), I decided to not include it. If you want to see it, I’ve uploaded it to my cloud anyways if you want to see it.

NOTE: Some songs might be disturbing for your hearing since I have a kind of a weird taste in music (apart from the rap (test 2)). Listening those microphone tests are your own responsibility ;). But they represent how good the bass is being recorded!

The tests were done with my Logitech 2.1 stereoset on quite a high volume (speakers were on maximum volume. Windows on 20).

The test: https://anonymouswp.stackstorage.com/s/ku97QAjGFNyR7Bz

Speaker test

The speakers sound good and I appreciate the presence of stereospeakers more than I expected. I don’t use it much, but it surely does improve speaker quality for when I watch a video or listen some music (which I actually always do via earbuds).

Regarding the second speaker, the call volume is way better and louder now as well. The earpiece speaker of the OnePlus 3 is a lot smaller as well of course.

Vibration test

As you can hear in the following test, the biggest noticeable difference is the sound both of them make. Where the 3 makes a sound like a bee, the 7 Pro creates the vibration so you feel it and not mainly hear it.

https://youtu.be/IQWVsqL8UKU

Speed test - network performance

The Wi-Fi performance seems more stable than on my OnePlus 3. With the 7 Pro I could get a stable quite stable speed, as you can see on the screenshot below. My ISP use to give me 250 mb/s download and 25 mb/s upload. One of the reasons why the performance might be better/more stable can be because of some software/firmware improvements, as well as the fact that this device is made of glass and thus has better radiation. One last possibility can be the modem/SoC, but since 255mb/s isn’t that special, I assume that it doesn’t make much difference.

Speedtest Wi-Fi OnePlus 7 Pro:

[​IMG]

Speedtet Wi-Fi OnePlus 3:

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that there’s a difference here. When I did this speedtest, our bandwidth wasn’t 250mb/s but 200 mb/s. Anyway, as you can see it couldn’t reach 200mb/s, so in that case it somehow couldn’t reach the speed. Don’t forget there are many factors which may have a good or bad influence, such as the speedtest-server.

Regarding the cellular-data performance, it’s probably even harder to measure; it depends on the location, the time of the day, the amount of users on their whole network, the amount of users of the tower, the speedtest-server, etc. That’s why I ask you to not take those numbers too seriously, but here they are nevertheless.

Speedtest cellular data OnePlus 7 Pro:

[​IMG]

Speedtest cellular data OnePlus 3:

[​IMG]

GPS

The OnePlus 7 Pro does very well with the GPS. Where it sometimes took quite some time for my 3 to get a fix and has a accuracy of 10m, the 7 Pro has an almost instant fix with 3m accuracy. Probably because the 7 Pro supports more satellite-networks.

The 7 Pro: GPS (L1+L5 Dual Band), GLONASS, Galileo (E1+E5a Dual Band), Beidou, SBAS, A-GPS

The OnePlus 3: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS

Data transfers

A big plus which was a demanding feature a lot of users waned it a higher USB speed. OnePlus always used USB-C since the OnePlus 2, but with the 7 Pro, they finally switched to USB 3.0 (AKA USB 3.1 Gen1, AKA whatever the USB Foundation calls it now ;)).

This is a really good thing to me, since i also make offline back-ups and it’s convenient to do so. Unfortunately, due to technical reasons, OnePlus doesn’t deliver a 3.0 cable with it, but a 2.0 with the phone. Of course using a 3.0 cable you got yourself somewhere works good.

Speed test - fingerprintscanner

The OnePlus 7 Pro has an optical fingerprintscanner behind the display. The fingerprintscanner works like a camera; a part of the screen lights up, the camera takes a picture of your fingerprint and calls an API on Android (for fingerprintscanners) and saves this fingerprint on your device (encrypted). The next time you want to unlock your device, it makes a photo again and compares this to the images it already had of your fingerprint.

This generation of the optical fingerprintscanner has a bigger sensor than the optical fingerprintscanner of the 6T, which makes it in theory faster and makes it possible to register a bigger surface of your finger at the screen.

But, is the optical fingerprintscanner also faster than the capacitive scanner of the OnePlus 3? Check it out in the videos below:

Bouncer71, johneebee and Dhruv Weaver like this.
  12. R1538164311753 Donut Jun 2, 2019

R1538164311753, Jun 2, 2019 :
    waiting for camera test

AnonymousWP likes this.
  13. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP, Jun 7, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

The battery is an important thing for some people, and at the same time one of the most difficult things to review. The results depend on a lot of things; usage, apps, coverage, temperatures, Wi-Fi or data, location and a lot more. Keep that in mind while reading my and other’s review.

A phone with good specs needs a bigger battery cause it usually consumes more energy. OnePlus did put a 4000mAh battery in the 7 Pro, where it was 3700 for the 6T and the regular OnePlus 7. Mind that those values are theoretical. For example, on the battery of the 7 Pro it says 3880mAh:

[​IMG] (Screenshot is from JerryRigEverything’s video, the teardown).

Since the 7 Pro came out and reviews came online, most conclusions about the battery were that it was meh. For me, it is surprisingly good, even on 1440p/90Hz. My 3 got around 4 or 5 hours of Screen-on-Time. For me, the 7 Pro performs way better, even though it has more screen and a higher resolution and higher refreshrate.

For the past weeks, I’ve taken a look at the battery-life. I use auto-resolution + 90Hz the most. To be honest, 60Hz looks quite bad to me. I don’t notice much difference between 1440p and 1080p, but that’s why I prefer a good balance and thus set it on auto. For now, while updates may improve this, I’m getting between 6 and 10 hours batterylife (worst and best). This included the following:

• Bluetooth on (connected with tracker)

• Wi-Fi on (not when outside home)

• 4G on (only when outside home)

• Auto-brightness

• Around an hour of videocalling via WhatsApp per day

• Sometimes navigating

• Regular browsing

• Listening music (via Bluetooth of course, cause no jack ;))

• Using Discord

• Some YouTube

• Reading the news

So if it means that I got at least 6 hours of Screen-on-Time, that I did all of the above, or one of them intensively.

At best, looking at the estimations (around 10% per hour, averagely), I’d be able to get 10 hours of Screen-on-Time (with (90Hz/1440p):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The worst is 6 hours of Screen-on-Time, which is still quite a lot, when doing heavy tasks (as well with 90Hz/1440p):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For screenshots, check here: https://anonymouswp.stackstorage.com/s/QCQxDFTinGCSVif

Most test were done with auto-resolution/90Hz, but there are also some 1080p/60Hz tests. I don’t notice much difference in the first test, but that’s because I only tried this combination for 1 or 2 days. In the link above, all screenshots with the default filename are auto/90Hz. The one with 1080p/60Hz are obviously not :p.

Charging

OnePlus introduced Dash Charge (now named Fast Charge due to patents) with the OnePlus 3, which was very fast for that time (and it quite still is). It pumps 20 watts into the 3000mAh battery. With the 6T McLaren edition, OnePlus came with a better, improved technique; Warp Charge. This technique pumps 30 watts into the 3700mAh battery (for the 6T McLaren) and 4000mAh battery (for the 7 Pro).

The way of charging is very similar to OPPOs technique; they bump up the ampere instead of the voltage, which is good. A higher voltage causes more heat going into the device, since the device then converts this voltage into a lower voltage (output > input). When you bump up the amperes, like OPPO and OnePlus, this already happens in the charging brick, plus that they use a lower voltage and thus even less heat. This makes it possible to do heavy tasks on your phone while charging fast. I really like this way of charging, cause it’s really fast and doesn’t harm the battery. The only con is that it’s a piece of exclusiveness. The brick and wire are also a bit bigger, but that’s obvious, when you view it from a technical perspective.

I’ll post some charging tests in the upcoming time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

14. R1538164311753 Donut Jun 7, 2019

R1538164311753, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Camera Test please

15. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

I will do that as last part, since OnePlus keeps updating the camera. Thereby comes that I'm waiting for a proper Google Camera port. That's why I'll review the camera as last part.

16. R1538164311753 Donut Jun 7, 2019

Is one plus aware of the camera issue. My both 5T and 7pro cameras are not at all good. An update is inavitable

17. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Which camera issue? I've had zero issues to be honest. The first few update of the camera were not that good, but the last few updates brought very positive changes.

Android450 likes this.
  18. R1538164311753 Donut Jun 7, 2019

Still photo looks like painting not realistic, not fixed yet

19. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

It already improved but yeah, I still prefer Google Camera. Just download that by the time it's stable and you're good.

20. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP, Jun 8, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

With software, OnePlus worked with CyanogenInc., who doesn’t actually exist anymore. When they stopped their cooperation, OnePlus decided to develop its own skin / version of Android. OnePlus called it: OxygenOS. Since the beginning of OxygenOS, which was in 2014/2015, OnePlus always aimed at a clean Android version which was quick. It provides a fast, fluid and powerful system. Not an overload on features, but only features that really matter. That’s also personally one of my reasons to buy a OnePlus phone. Number 2 of my list is LineageOS.

One of my favorite things of OxygenOS is that it’s clean, fast and customizable. For more snappiness I’ve set animations on 0.5, which you can enable in the developer options.

Alert slider

Since the OnePlus 2, OnePlus implemented the alert slider. A very handy switch you can set on the side of the phone. It’s still a thing I really like at OnePlus phones. You can set this on 3 modes:

1. Ringtone
    2. Vibrate
    3. Silent
    You cannot customize this sadly enough, but in settings > sound & vibration > Do Not Disturb you can tweak the Do Not Disturb mode.

For example, you can set a schedule on this. From which to which time it should be enabled. You can also set its behavior and make exclusions.

Default apps

OxygenOS is a very clean OS, but despite how clean the OS is, OnePlus delivers some apps pre-installed such as apps developed by OnePlus. For example the Weather app, or Gallery. Of course also some Google Apps are installed by default. I don’t use all of them, and fortunately you can delete most of them (or else disable them).

New introduced features

When the 7 and 7 Pro got announced, OnePlus also announced that they’ll be getting a Fnatic Mode, Zen Mode and a Screen Recorder. Zen mode is a mode where it doesn’t let you use your phone for 20 minutes, so you can concentrate on important things. You will be able to call, but not escape Zen Mode.

Fnatic mode sort of boosts the CPU and GPU and allocates it to the game you’re playing. It’s actually a sort of add-on for the existing Game Mode, which blocks notifications and such so you can game without getting disturbed.

And then, something else a lot of people will probably like: a built-in Screen Recorder. A big advantage of this is that it is able to record internal audio. Normally, you’d need root for that, but OnePlus built it in.

Useful features

Gestures

On OxygenOS there are some nice features, which make things easier. One of those are gestures, which OnePlus introduced quite a while ago already. This gives more screenspace for you to play with and are in my opinion a little slower than touching softwarebuttons, but I prefer more screen myself so I personally use gestures. With those gestures, you can for example swipe at the left or right bottom-corner to go back or go to a previous page. Swipe from the middle-bottom to the middle to go back to the homescreen.

Those are the on-screen gestures. You also have off-screen gestures such as ‘draw an M to open app X or Y’. Or for example, swipe with 2 fingers down while the screen is turned off to pause or play your music. By swiping 3 fingers when the screen is turned on, you can make a screenshot. Double tap to wake is another quite handy feature, but lift-to-wake is maybe more useful since you already pick up your phone. There are also systemgestures, where you can for example mute calls by putting your phone with its screen to the the surface. I use those personally a lot, because it works quick. It’s a bit inconvenient if it falsely detects it though. Pretty awkward if you’re in public and you accidentally turn on your flashlight ;).

Face Unlock

Face Unlock is introduced with the OnePlus 5T, but became pretty popular and thus it was also ported to the 3, 3T, 5, 6, 6T and also to the 7-series. It uses the front camera to scan your face and stores information about your facetype, combines this and compares this with the next photo you take when you use Face Unlock to unlock your phone. If they’re the same, the phone unlocks. Personally I stopped using Face Unlock on my 7 Pro because I mostly use my fingerprintscanner, since I somehow have a bad feeling of unlocking my phone so many times a day with the pop-up camera, even though I know it has been tested well, according to videos. I prefer to have less wear on that mechanism.

Expanded Screenshots

Expanded screenshots is another useful feature I use. It sort of makes 1 big long screenshot. Of course you can decide yourself how long you want the screenshot to be. This is especially useful if you want to screenshot a page or article for example. So instead you need to take 4 screenshots, you can just take 1 expanded screenshot. The disadvantage of this is that it crops the resolution, so if you take a long expanded screenshot, you might buy some glasses to actually see something, even when you zoom in. But to be honest, that’s probably just a technical story which cannot really be improved.

Parallel Apps

A demanding feature that OnePlus built some years ago is Parallel Apps. It makes it possible to make a ‘copy’ of an app, but then not-configured. Technically, it works in the background with another profile on Android. Let’s say you have 2 phone numbers; 1 private number and the other one for work. Then you can set up WhatsApp as Parallel App, where you can register the primary app with your private number and your work number for the secondary app. Others may use this feature for a copy of Instagram, Snapchat or Discord for example, so you can use 2 different accounts on the same device.

RAM Management

OnePlus is sadly known for killing apps in the background, for the sake of battery-longevity. This is already a thing since Android Oreo, where Google introduced Doze. With the OnePlus 7 Pro, this isn’t really different. Some apps like WhatsApp get killed after X minutes. Some users reported me that this is solved when you exclude the app from battery optimisations, but others (like myself) don’t notice any difference and the app gets killed anyways.

Luckily OnePlus didn’t sit still and implemented a feature named ‘RAM Boost’. This is a feature that is able to see which apps you use regularly. The apps that you use regularly, stay in RAM. This especially helps with a game you play regularly for example. It pre-loads the game or app, and when you launch it, it’s able to load it faster since it’s already pre-loaded/cached.

Launcher

In the beginnings of the OnePlus Launcher, I’ve used it. Unfortunately, at that time it didn’t have many features, so I bought Nova Launcher and made a permanent switch to it. For me, Nova is more complete and drains less battery in my experience. So I backed-up my settings/config and set it to my 7 Pro. Because of this, I cannot say much about the OnePlus Launcher, since I’m on Nova. This also means that I don’t use Shelf (a special page with ‘most used applications’ and other tidbits.). There’s also a way of ‘hiding’ apps on a separate page by swiping from the sides. Anyway, from what I’ve seen all the updates that came for the launcher, improved the launcher a lot as well with features.

How my setup looks like at the moment:

[​IMG]
    As you can see, I’m still rocking the stock live wallpaper. I haven’t really spend time yet on finding one.

[​IMG]
    When holding the power button, OnePlus also allows you to boot into recovery or into fastboot. Mind you need to enable this in developer options. The ‘shut down’, ‘restart’ and ‘screenshot’ are there by default.

Here we take a quick look to the settings of the phone: [​IMG]
    As you can see, I’m using the black theme for a more calm view and a slight better batterylife (especially when you use dark mode on all apps). You can set this in: settings > display.

The recent menu. Another thing that OnePlus did really well with the implementation. For example, you can ‘lock’ apps. For example, I use Chrome, Discord and a news-app very regularly, so I don’t want them to be killed or start them every time (that also drains more energy, if you need to open those apps again and again). The main purpose of locking apps is so you can’t accidentally kill them, by swiping up or click the X on the bottom. You can do this by clicking the 3 dots. There you can also set ‘splitscreen’, which was introduced in Android 7.

[​IMG]
    The recent menu

The notificationbar + quick toggles make it possible for users to quickly make modifications, such as turning on/off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, VPN, Game Mode, Night Mode, GPS, DND, auto-rotate or flash light. There’s a bunch more to set, and you can also add or remove toggles.

[​IMG]
    Notificationbar + quick toggles

Software support

OnePlus is known for fast updates and having a long software support cycle. At least longer than most of the other Android phones. OnePlus usually gives 2 years of OxygenOS-updates, including Android upgrades. After 2 years, OnePlus gives an extended year of security patches. This is stated in a separate forumpost.

[​IMG]
    The OnePlus 3 from 2016 even got 3 Android upgrades. Nougat, Oreo and Pie. That’s a very good thing for the future, if OnePlus decides to keep doing this with their other phones as well.

OnePlus usually rolls-out updates incrementally, to play it safe when an update contains a critical bug. Thereby they have 4 or maybe 5 update-branches:

• Stable

• Open Beta

• Developer Previews of Android (not always applicable)

• Closed Beta

• Internal builds
    That’s it for now. I’ll update this thread about the software in the upcoming time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019