[The Lab] A OnePlus 7 Pro review - By AnonymousWP (Updated on 30-07-2019)

1. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP , Jun 8, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Specs

The camera. Cameras on smartphones became only better and better. Not really weird, since technology keeps developing. Sony is one of the biggest players in this market. OnePlus decided to put 3 cameras in this top-tier phone and they used Sony’s last high-end sensor for the primary camera; the IMX 586. The primary sensor is a 48MP wide-angle sensor, and the camera has a f/1.6 aperture and both OIS (Optical Image Stablisatoin) and EIS (Electronic Image Stabilisation). It further has a pixel size of 0.8 µm.Though it gets downscaled to 12MP, it gets a pixel size of 1.6µm in return.

The sensor uses a Quad Bayer filter over which four pixels in a 2x2 configuration are provided with one color filter. In good light conditions, the colors of all individual pixels are calculated with algorithms based on the surrounding color filters. In poor light conditions, the modified filter ensures that the performance is comparable to that of a twelve-pixel pixel sensor with 1.6 µm pixels, according to Sony.

The image of the stacked cmos sensor can be read at 30fps at full resolution. In a 4k resolution of 4096x2160 pixels, the maximum frame rate is 90fps and with a 1080p resolution it rises to 240fps. In 720p the sensor can be read out with 480fps, but this is a cropping of the image. Whether or not there will actually be smartphones filming in 90 kbps with 4k resolution also depends on other components, such as the image processor, which must be able to process images at that speed. Most other companies use this sensor in their phones. OnePlus also put this sensor in their regular 7.

The second sensor of the OnePlus 7 Pro is an ultra wide-angle sensor; the Sony IMX 481 of 16MP. This camera has a f/2.2 aperture, has a view of 117 degrees and a pixel size of 1.0 µm (micron). It doesn’t have OIS or EIS.

The third and last camera is a telephoto lens of 13MP (not an 8MP like OnePlus claimed. with a lens that gives an angle of view of 42 degrees, not an 8-megapixel sensor with a lens that gives an angle of 31 degrees. That is why it is about '2.2x zoom', not '3x zoom'.) It has an aperture of f/2.4, and a pixel size of 1.0 µm. This one does have OIS and EIS.

The front camera is a pop-up camera, with a wide-angle sensor of 16MP, a f/2.0 aperture, a view of 95 degrees, 1.0 µm but doesn’t have OIS nor EIS.

The camera in practice

Since the 7 Pro came out, some reviewers weren’t too happy about the camera, nor were users. For me it was okay to shoot with and it was absolutely better than on my 3 (comparing stock to stock). Going from 1 to 3 cameras is a really nice step forward. Your device is now way more prepared to shoot pictures in different scenarios, and I like that. Luckily, quite quick after the complaints, OnePlus came with a response, saying there will come several camera-updates to improve this. Now, 2 software-updates later (on the moment of writing), I can say that the camera has been improved quite significantly. In the coming time I’ll collect more comparisons to give you a good image (no pun intended :p) of the performance increases. I can tell you that I’ve done some comparisons already with 3 different software-versions. Sadly enough not of the same spot, but a comparable scenario.

OnePlus is being criticised since the OnePlus 5 for their post processing. The oil paint effect is a known issue with the OnePlus Camera app, but it got a lot better in the past few generations. It’s heading the good way, but still not as good as the post processing of Pixel devices for example.

Luckily, the OnePlus phones are a popular target for developers to make Google Camera ports for. Those don’t require root and can just be installed outside the Play Store. I also used this on my 3 and it could get the full potential from the camera, which is really great. This is in terms of dynamic range, detail and exposure. So personally, I don’t really mind about the OnePlus Camera, since I have the freedom to install Google Camera to shoot beautiful pics with my current OnePlus 7 Pro. Here’s a big overview of which ports for OnePlus phones are the best optimized: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/links/#O. Getting the latest one of Arnova is almost always your best bet: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-arnova8G2/. To give you an idea in difference, here are some examples: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/examples/.

The camera in use

At the moment of writing, I’ve shot pictures with all kind of versions of OxygenOS, starting with version 9.5.1. The camera wasn’t really good at that time, even though it was already a lot better than my 3. With 9.5.10 on the moment, it got pretty good actually. Colors are good, just dynamic range is slightly off (as well as overexposure). The details is something that OnePlus needs to work on, as there’s still that oil-painting effect in some scenarios.

For the people who don’t want to read but just want to check pictures, check my cloud: https://anonymouswp.stackstorage.com/s/lSGQEGpHMD4crYF. For the ones who do, read further.

Shot on 9.5.5:

Here some slowmo videos I took:

Here some comparisons between the OnePlus Camera and Google Camera on my 7 Pro, as well as those 2 on my OnePlus 3. For all photos, click on the link at the beginning of this chapter.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 7 Pro OnePlus Camera

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 7 Pro Google Camera

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 OnePlus Camera

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 Google Camera

For more pictures check here: https://anonymouswp.stackstorage.com/s/lSGQEGpHMD4crYF

Shot on 9.5.8:

[​IMG]
    OnePlus Camera

[​IMG]

Google Camera

[​IMG]

Pixel 3a

[​IMG]
    OnePlus Camera

[​IMG]
    Google Camera

[​IMG]

Pixel 3a

[​IMG]
    OnePlus Camera

[​IMG]
    OnePlus Camera, Nightscape

[​IMG]
    Google Camera

[​IMG]
    Google Camera, Nightsight

[​IMG]
    Pixel 3a

[​IMG]
    Pixel 3a, Nightsight

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

2. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP , Jun 8, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

How the device integrates the device with my own daily needs in different scenarios

I’m an IT-student and I’m (maybe obviously) quite obsessed with speed myself. This device does have it for sure. It’s one of the fastest phones on the market and compared to my 3 so much faster. Like I mentioned earlier, I browse a lot and use social media apps like Discord, WhatsApp and some Snapchat. Thereby I am quite much on the move. To college, internship, friends and some other places.I also like it to visit concerts and festivals. In that regard, I need speed, a good batterylife, a good camera, a sufficient microphone and really fast charging. That’s also what the 7 Pro really delivers and I’m very happy about that, since I’m used to my OnePlus 3.

All the other things, like stereospeakers, the very nice screen are a big addition to my usage, because you do watch to your screen whenever you use it (probably ;)). It works really well when I’m watching a video on YouTube for example. I also like to shoot pics when I’m on the move or on vacation. I don’t watch videos myself multiple times a day and I never really cared about stereospeakers, but it’s seriously better than the single speaker on my 3 and the screen looks good.

I don’t really play a lot of games, but the 90Hz and nice colors the AMOLED display certainly help a lot, in combination with the stereospeakers. The battery is a nice extra for that since gaming obviously drains more power. The battery also really helps when I’m at a festival, since you don’t really have powersockets there. Already looking forward to see how good it’ll be at 1080p/60Hz in combination with the 4000mAh battery!

3. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 9, 2019

Stickied Post
    AnonymousWP , Jun 9, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

OnePlus made a really solid phone. I’d say this is a nearly-perfect phone to me. At this point, I don’t think any other phone would give me that much joy as this phone. Of course, this is a personal opinion. I tried several brands in the past and try other phones as well. The speed, software, display, fast charging, big battery and decent cameras just make it an almost perfect phone for me, where I am really competent with.

Unfortunately, there are also some downsides, like the absence of the headphone-jack. Personally I’m not a fan of glass phones, since it makes the device kind of fragile, even with protections like a case. The curved display is also a bit of a con for me, since it has more downsides than upsides.

709 euros (in my country) is quite a lot of money to me, but that doesn’t mean the price/performance ratio isn’t good. You still get a very good phone for a decent price, especially when you compare it to other flagship-devices. This sadly enough changes, as OnePlus don’t get a lower price over time, while brands as Samsung, LG etc lower their prices over time. Not to forget though, is that it was even the first phone that is shipped with some technologies like a 90Hz AMOLED display and UFS 3.0 storage.

Pros and cons

Pros:

[​IMG]Very fast in use
    [​IMG]Clean but customisable software (and fast updates)
    [​IMG]Fast charging
    [​IMG]Very nice display (1440p/90Hz)
    [​IMG]Decent cameras
    [​IMG]Nice batterylife (max I got is 10 hours on 1440p/90Hz)
    [​IMG]A good case that got delivered with the phone. Gives me more certainty
    [​IMG]Stereospeakers are a nice addition
    [​IMG]USB 3.0

Cons:

[​IMG]No headphone-jack
    [​IMG]The back is made from glass and thus fragile
    [​IMG]Curved edges of the phone’s screen don’t really have pros
    [​IMG]Some apps are getting killed in the background (not getting notifications)
    [​IMG]Quite pricey when you compare it with other phones after a few months
    [​IMG]The post-processing of the cameras is not on par with phones as the Pixel or a Huawei P30. Luckily, the Google Camera port helps a lot with this

Final word

A big thank you to OnePlus who gave me the opportunity with testing this phone! I’m still so happy with it. Don’t forget that I’ll keep updating my review in the upcoming time. Thanks everyone for reading. Questions? Don’t mind to ask me! :)
    For the Dutchies out here: I’ll publish the Dutch-version of this review on Tweakers.net soon™ :p.

4. R1544887248840
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2019

RePaRaQu and AnonymousWP like this.
  5. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 9, 2019

6. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

AnonymousWP , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Added screenshots of testdata.

7. E1563092311902
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2019

E1563092311902 , Jul 17, 2019 :
    can you give me a oneplus 7 pro review unit for unboxing. I will unboxing it in my YouTube channel mr I am the boss

8. G_Amrinder_batra_TKaR
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2019

G_Amrinder_batra_TKaR , Jul 19, 2019 :
    Recently I observed that I am not able to receive calls and messages in my OnePlus 7 pro though I am able to do outgoing calls and messages perfectly.

when I was in India it was working perfectly fine but as soon as I left India my incoming calls and messages stopped it saying Mobile No Switched off.

I have tried my SIM card in other handsets and it's working perfectly fine.

pls help resolve this issue in my handset.

9. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 24, 2019

AnonymousWP , Jul 24, 2019 :
    Added charging times.

Android450 likes this.
  10. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 30, 2019

AnonymousWP , Jul 30, 2019 :
    Added testdata about the camera! Loads of pictures and comparisons between the OnePlus 3, 7 Pro and Pixel 3a.

11. Clean_
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2019

Clean_ , Jul 30, 2019 :
    Already have a 7P but damn is this a good review, Looks like you spent a lot of time on it and that's really appreciated.

AnonymousWP likes this.
  12. E1567103719643
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2019