The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. Trista W. Community Team Staff Member Jan 7, 2019

Trista W., Jan 7, 2019 :
    lab.jpg

Hello everyone,

As you know, The Lab has been a cherished tradition in our community since the OnePlus 3. The Lab reviewers are generally both shutterbugs and wordsmiths, united by a common mission to deliver a genuine and detailed introduction about our latest devices. We are looking to make The Lab even better! While we have some thoughts already, we really want to hear the community's opinions before I finalize any details.
    1. What do you think about using a poll to decide the finalists? The OnePlus team will do the preliminary selection first to ensure the quality of entries.
    2. If we decide to run a poll, what would you personally see as ‘cheating’ behavior? If candidates call on their friends or relatives to vote for them, is that acceptable?
    3. What criteria should the team use in our initial selection?
    4. What questions should we ask in the application form? Normally, we ask people to write a review their favorite electronic gadgets and upload several examples of their own photography.
    5. Do you have any other suggestions for ’The Lab’?
    Please feel free to share your opinions in the comments section below. While we may not be able to implement everyone's ideas, I will be sure to read and consider everyone's opinions carefully.

2. RJBoss The Showcase Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

E1542052482867, Saliou, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

4. YASHPLUSONE. Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2019

YASHPLUSONE., Jan 7, 2019 :
    indeed, much needed feedback from the community.
    atleast it will prevent users and the community from complaining, I will add an in-depth analysis soon.
    thanks for this thread @Trista W. :)

Before I answer your questions there are some suggestion I would like to make,
    "We" the forum users exclusively need to redefine the term lab, what is a lab?
    It is infact a responsibility, winning a phone is no big deal we have a lot of contests and giveaways on the forums and if you really try and push there you can have a new phone for yourself.
    But when we talk of the lab, users must understand that the winners are picked among thousands, and if he/she has been picked up he has not just been given a phone, in the later stage people look up to the reviewer for a honest and unbiased review from the POV of a normal user, just like him. So that he can atleast relate.
    The lab serves a joint purpose, it helps the community, forum users and also benifits the company.
    The lab has been a tradition and it is a gesture appreciated by all! With time the sole purpose of it is lost and has been polluted with outsters and people to whom the forums carry little to no importance, People who can be seen here only during contests. As far as the professional Photographer's are concerned I respect their work and appreciate it too... But let's keep the lab reserved to infamous and normal people.
    I am making sure to not include the people who have 0 messages and 0 likes, as they in my opinion should not be allowed to enter the initial entry process itself.
    The lab should stay exclusive to fairly active and contributing members who "We" can trust and believe. Someone who is familiar in the forums.
    Although, I agree that forum activity/age does not portray ones potential, but at the end of the day the Lab is for the community and the community likes to hear from familiar people.
    I hope that "We" can redefine the 'LAB' and can make it a bit more appealing process for the community, as it is for them afterall.

**legend: WE stands for the Forum members (exclusively)

I do not think that using a poll is an effective method!
    Again some way or the other favouritism seeps in,
    @Trista W. Did a good job of hiding the identity of shutterbugs in the nightscape thread, but still people did find out by going to the postings or the original thread.
    All in I think that admins have been doing a good job at selecting entries, but there are a few things that have to be kept in mind while selecting the lab reviewers.
    The sole purpose of the lab is to hear the pros and cons of the latest device from a community member, someone with whom you are familiar and one whose words you can trust. I do not want to see a sugar coated review from a person I have never seen or heard from before.
    The user must have atleast 1000 messages or likes.
    Must be an old member or fairly familiar to the community/staff members.
    Picking up cupcakes/ people with 0 messages and 0 likes is not what I like or wish seeing.

I do not understand why the need of a poll arises but if you plan to introduce it, then you must deploy effective measures so that favouritism cannot intervene in the voting process. The identity of the entrant must be 100% hidden. Any kind of promotion in the poll must not be allowed neither directly, not indirectly. Vote for any entry you like but do not say in the thread that I voted for him/her.
    Votes must be hidden until the poll is closed.

Cheating: while there are many ways on how you can possibly cheat, one of them is copy pasting a content creator or a bloggers review and portraying it as yours. In the case of photos you can atleast find out, but here you won't be able to.

The right to vote should be given to accounts which are minimum froyo or have a forum account atleast 1 month old.

Just the literary part! Nothing more nothing less.
    The camera is an integral part of the device but majority of users click normal selfies to group photos, and to many the camera carries little to no significance.
    Giving heavy weightage to photos in the selection process should be avoided.
    We expect users to give us a nice view of the phone, box and its contents. Nothing more nothing less.
    Should I want to see the cameras potential in a variety of scenes I would take to YouTube or Instagram. I do not want the content creators to starve, they eat of our watch time.
    Make the lab a forum exclusive activity, only accounts create before this thread was created should be able to enter the selection process. Rest all "Maybe Next time"

The questions should go like this,
    What is a smartphone to you? Describe life without it.

How can you describe the functionality of a smartphone in 10 words or less?

If you become a Lab Reviewer, how do you think you can do justice to the phone and the fact that you were selected among thousands?

Based on leaks and official information of the device ,so far, do you think this is a reasonable upgrade? If yes, why? If no, why?

This is my suggestion to all lab entrants and upcoming winners:
    The word 'Lab' must not be limited to the fact that you are getting a new device for free.
    It should inistate a sense of responsibility that whatever I write or share, will in someway or the other manipulate the readers decision. I must present facts to the best of my knowledge and present things as it is.
    It is not necessary that you should have a knack for reviewing smartphones, if you can explain something you have had in the past, in-depth, You are a reviewer in itself.

The monotonous process of writing reviews of a predecessor whenever a new one is about to hit the shelf in IMO useless.
    Understanding a product, justifying its uses, price and functionality personally is important to help others make a decision, as funny as it may sound not everyone is privileged enough to buy a smartphone, and if someone is pushing to the limits and actually buying it then he must never regret the purchase. Don't be another Jonathan Morrison, MKBHD or any other sponsored content creator.
    Don't just become a reviewer for the sake of getting a new phone for free, become a person who, people can trust and depend on and IMO that is indeed the true definition of a reviewer.

I would have never said whatever I did above hadn't it been for this thread. I just hope it isn't taken as ranting!
    I do want to be a lab reviewer, but personally I want to push my potential to the limits to be picked up on the basis of quality and trust, that I can indeed carry out the responsibility that I have been given, justify the product and the tag of a reviewer.

Regards,
    Yash

Edit: something I missed previously!
    One more suggestion!
    Lab reviewers should not have a option to choose between video/text.
    It should be all text, as a video takes out the essence of the review, it starts to taste like sugar coated s*it.
    I personally enjoy the joy of reading, and it is supposed to be that way. When a user is shifting to a video review he concentrates more on making it visually appealing rather than focusing on the content. As far as text only is concerned it includes pure content and nothing else. (A couple pictures ofc! But I wouldn't mind that)
    It is no secret that in this method people can go wrong! (Ref: OnePlus 6T the lab reviewers) I appreciate the reviewers work and effort in making such a great video but content? Negligible.
    Should I want amazing videos with great content, I head over to YouTube to meet the old mates, MKBHD, Jonathan Morrison etc...,
    What I expected of the lab is pure thoughts and nothing else. Judging on the basis of actual potential rather that looks alone. Just as lady justice has been doing!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

5. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jan 7, 2019 :
    1. Personally, I'm not a fan of a poll. Then it'll be more like a friend-competition; the most popular and most-liked people will be chosen. Like, it can happen that people who are not very active, or not active at all, need to be very active here to get a recognizable name. Also if they have very good review qualities but don't appear much at the forums.
    2. That's a good thing, but you can barely check that, or you have to check their DMs, but again that's a privacy-violation.
    3. Pictures, passion for the phone-industry, way of writing, English skills etc.
    4. No additions from my side; it's fine as it is now.
    5. I'm having the feeling now that the team of The Lab is too much looking for 'the popular people'. I understand; active people here get more chance cause they'll be able to keep communicating with the rest of the community, but yeah.

6. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hey @Trista W. Nice of you to have a brainstorming for The Lab:)
    I'm damn sure this is required to rejuvenate the core ideology behind the lab.
    To answer your questions,
    1. A poll is definitely appreciated. It gives the community a chance to select from whom they want to listen about the product.
    2. Honestly speaking, the poll has to be purely for the community. Dragging in friends and relatives to vote is just, as you said, "cheating". The poll shouldn't be open to people who create an account just for this purpose. The current method of locking the poll for accounts after the thread creation is a good measure.
    3. The selection process should give heavy emphasis on how involved the member is in the community. I don't want people who rarely discuss here to review a device. I won't be able to trust their judgement. Of course, new members can give a good review, in this case, the initial review must be thoroughly scrutinized.
    4. The questions assessing their actual knowledge on the subject of review is a must. I can be a very good reviewer of a TV, but I may not have enough knowledge to review a phone. Both technologies are different. On the other hand, you can ask the contestants to only review phones. That will give us an idea of how good the person's knowledge is.
    5. Keep the lab, a strictly community activity. I don't want social media influencers to enter. Especially, the instagram fellows. We know what a debacle it was during the 6T Lab. A particular review had only photos without an actual review. I don't want that.
    Hope you take these as constructive criticism rather than just a rant:)
    Good luck with this effort:)

iNtEnSePL, Tamzi3, luigimario and 7 others like this.
  7. Ruby G. Creative Copywriter Staff Member Jan 7, 2019

Ruby G., Jan 7, 2019 :
    Of course. It would especially be interesting to hear from you on The Lab, @Tobikage. How would you run it?

8. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hope you haven't forgotten that as always.... the "community" for OnePlus is not just the forum.
    Twitter and Facebook and Instagram included.

SJBoss, eye842, Crystal Z. and 2 others like this.
  9. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Ah. The other members of the "community".

SJBoss and Tobikage like this.
  10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Let's call them "influencers", shall we? ;)

SJBoss, ofi90, iNtEnSePL and 6 others like this.
  11. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

BobbyV8_, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Maybe you should start using 'forum' instead of 'community'

@B_Wrath @Punk_69

12. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

BobbyV8_, the_o2 and Tobikage like this.
  13. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    See? You can't do that on Twitter. One point for the forums :p

14. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

What about the OnePlus Reddit and Discord then?

Tobikage likes this.
  15. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Indeed:D

Tobikage and Cheetosdust like this.
  16. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    TBH....I just stopped taking "The Lab" seriously around when OnePlus started picking out Instagrammers and YouTubers with no forum accounts and zero posts or contribution here.
    Also....on point , there is no way you can ensure people don't cheat if anyone and everyone on any social medium can vote.
    Maybe if you can keep voting open to a limited a pool of people like say people with a 100 posts or more.....that'd narrow down.

I see @B_Wrath has made some good points in Post #6.

Expect a tag and a more detailed post later today.
    As soon as I get home from work !

17. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Maybe we start using "Friends" as a secret code for community. :rolleyes:

SJBoss, iNtEnSePL, BobbyV8_ and 3 others like this.
  18. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Don't care about those either.

SJBoss likes this.
  19. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

Lol, reminds me of the fact that Indian people with 100 subscribers on YouTube get a free OnePlus phone to review, while I'm working my a$$ off for the community on the Discord (as mod), as maintainer on Tweakers.net, as admin of Oxygen Updater, and having reviewing experience. Never got any chance to get a review device. It's the world up-side-down.

Oh by the way, also every famous YouTuber gets a free OnePlus device while they have ZERO AFFINITY with mobile phones, just to advertise for OnePlus.

20. G_plusone Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Akhshay Srinivasan and the_o2 like this.