The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2019

Moin2200, Jan 7, 2019 :
    The lab has lost its meaning to me.

I won't bother with the details as many has already expressed how i feel well in the above posts.

2. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    That's what hurts the most. Honestly speaking, I am no reviewer. But there are excellent reviewers within this forum. Why not give them a chance.
    Advertisement doesn't have to just through influencers. Agreed that it is a cheaper method, but this is completely unacceptable.

SJBoss, Kytharsis, Bouncer71 and 2 others like this.
  3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 7, 2019 :
    They are, though, are they not? Shouldn't community also encompass people from offline events like the launches or the pop events as well as all the other people that interact on a regular basis through all the different channels?

To be honest, I was neve a forum-ist to begin with. If you believe that The Lab should be open only to those that are Forums member, that's an entirely different matter.

But even then a question arises: What is a forum member? Because people also get annoyed when Cupcakes win (even though there are probably more Cupcakes registered than all the other levels combined).

Just food for thought.

4. Dresa91 Oreo Jan 7, 2019

Dresa91, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hey @Trista W. :)
    Glad to hear that you want to improve The Lab :)
    To your questions:
    1. What do you think about using a poll to decide the finalists? The OnePlus team will do the preliminary selection first to ensure the quality of entries.
      Well, a poll is not a bad idea :). Google Forms or SurveyMonkey can be a good tool :)
    2. If we decide to run a poll, what would you personally see as ‘cheating’ behavior? If candidates call on their friends or relatives to vote for them, is that acceptable?
      In 1. you said OnePlus team will do a preliminary selection. So in this case you can easily anonymize the finalists. You can give some bullet points or information of every single finalist in Google Forms or SurveyMonkey. Remember the old polls regarding photo quality, etc . This can maybe help to prevent cheating. Or an algorithm, which orders the entries of a poll for every visit, so that noone can say: for Q1 I am "a", for Q2 I am "c", etc...
    3. What criteria should the team use in our initial selection?
      Criteria is always important. Something like language, used words (formal or informal), using (if it is used) a reliable source, not c/p of other blog/portal entries, the general apperance and style of the entry, creativity.
    4. What questions should we ask in the application form? Normally, we ask people to write a review their favorite electronic gadgets and upload several examples of their own photography.
      It maybe should depend on the item to review. E.g. if the OP7 should be reviewed, you have the review your current phone. Or if a new bag should be reviewed, the current used bag should be reviewed. This will show how you can write about this special task. In this case you have to upload photos for this review.
    5. Do you have any other suggestions for ’The Lab’?
      Other suggestions, well...maybe you can create events for The Lab participants. Like a come together, or a workshop made by old participants for the new to get the best reviews :)

5. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I don’t have a problem with The Lab being opened to all the community branches, however, for me this will always lead to this looming line of thought:

If the contests and if the initiatives are opened and won by people who are not here, what is OnePlus doing to captivate those who log in every single day? And those who log in since 2013 and 2014?

I don’t want to drag this thread into muddy waters, however, it will always be (or should be) about that balance, that acknowledging those who are helping and trying their best to keep the forums away from the fall.

And the fall, for me, is 90% of threads being about updates.

OnePlus desperately needs to prevent that from happening. Otherwise, this will be a never ending depository for the same threads about the same problems and declarations of entitlement.

I’m not saying that The Lab is the answer, but I’m sure you can clearly comprehend that when you have 10-20 remaining users that see that what they doing not being acknowledged or recognized, they will take that into account down the line.

The community shouldn’t expect anything from a company, but if a company continues to do nothing about them, I’m convinced they will not warn about quitting the forums, they will just do it - they will just continue to do it.

6. the_o2 Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

the_o2, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Yes, sure.
    Nope, it would be better only if 2-3 months older member with atleast Eclair level.
    It would be better if you tell what was the criteria you guys using before.
    I would like to have a ( one or more ) lab reviewer/s as a active member from this community (only community not twitter and instagram user please).
    Who will available to gives answer to the users even after the 2 months of the phone released.
    I think its ok...
    Compile all the suggestion which are given in this thread and make it best as possible, that's all
    :):)

7. the_o2 Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

the_o2, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Time to create a YouTube channel now :p:p

8. Punk_69 Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Punk_69, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Well sadly, that's marketing :(

And whatever @Tobikage said that's true to the effin core...
    Instagrammers, youtubers, bloggers etc with no shit with OnePlus forums ... Yet becoming LAB reviewers.

SJBoss, iNtEnSePL, Tobikage and 2 others like this.
  9. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

A valid argument, of course.

But how do you define the kind of person you're referring to?

Is it by for old the account is?
    How many times it logs in to the forums?
    How many posts does the person have?

How much weight should that have over quality?

And also worth
    Let me ask this, then. Out of all Lab winners how many fit that description?

SJBoss, Alvie, buntycubal and 3 others like this.
  10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    You define the person I’m referring to with common sense.

You are here from the early days and it’s even easier for you to get there: how many users do you know who were valuable members of these forums and now are MIA?

Make a list. The usernames there are the people I’m referring to.

Not only that, please have this in mind: are the forums today a place where you think new members want to continue to post? Is the homepage today a place that motivates them to visit tomorrow?

New markets and new mentalities are great, but you shouldn’t let this place be devoured by the same thread. Without interesting content and mostly with people who only visit to get help, what’s the future of this place?

Moreover - and you really should think about this: why should a regular user keep logging in? Remove the social threads from the equation and answer again. Try to get to the root of that answer.

Is the answer in tandem of what the definition of a community should be?

Deepak.Si, SJBoss, iNtEnSePL and 12 others like this.
  11. Punk_69 Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Punk_69, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I will do that research sometime, stuck in too much work as of now ... ;)

SJBoss and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  12. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Don't care.... **** em.
    Run a different contest for them. Limit it to that social medium.
    Umm........no.
    Closed special little groups of chosen ones < Open Forum
    Call me someone who's Pro-Forum to the core.

There's always tomorrow !

I think I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Anyone with a 100 posts or more ?
    Anyone with 50 or more likes ?
    Anyone who doesn't only show up at the time of contests and giveaways ?

All I want is to read a review from someone I can see around the forum. Not someone who show's up for a contest or giveaway and leaves as soon as it's done.
    Why didn't that happen after the OP2 and partially with the OP3 ?

An unbiased factual no bullshit review is what I want to read here.

Not some random OnePlus closet fanboy telling me how cool and awesome the latest gift of @Carl is.

The forum is just another marketing tool and a community only in name if OnePlus sees it that way.

Deepak.Si, SJBoss, Hydra Bob and 4 others like this.
  13. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

B.yashaswi, Jan 7, 2019 :
    what ever you have mentioned is understandable expect one thing that i have a doubt is that which YouTuber is having 100 subscribers and getting a oneplus phone free for a review.

SJBoss likes this.
  14. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    A certain Professional Phone Photographer comes to my mind:rolleyes:

15. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Look it up on YouTube and use some filters.

SJBoss likes this.
  16. Punk_69 Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

Punk_69, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Ahhhh

SJBoss, YASHPLUSONE. and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

B.yashaswi, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Searched could not find it would be helpful if you could say what are those filters and probably be helpful if you could give link to it here or in pm

18. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

19. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

@Punk_69, this is not the first time that you accuse OnePlus of choosing influencers over community members, but worry not, I actually did spend a bit of my time to do it for you.

Out of all OnePlus 6T winners, 5 out of 10 have older forum accounts than yours.
    Out of all OnePlus 6 winners, 9 out of 15 have older forum accounts than yours.
    Out of all OnePlus 5T winners, 6 out of 10 have older forum accounts than yours.

Some of the winners have accounts since 2014. Not only that, but you can also see several known names in the list:
    @Dunnow, @Alvie, @Shivang Joshi, @luigimario, @NeVeR_SeTTLe, @FlixbusLennart, @rbagdai and heck, even myself. So what are you using to base yourself to make that accusation? Is it based on a feeling? Because the reality seems to be quite different.

I would be a fool if I disagreed with you, and I do agree with you to some extent as well, @Tobikage, on your previous post. Of course I prefer to read a review from a known face. It's "one of us". But I do not think it's fair that being a "forum celebrity" entitles anyone to be chosen over other people and, more importantly, over quality.

All last three Lab editions had known names and most of the users had accounts for quite awhile.

The question wasn't rhetorical and I thank you for the reply. I actually think this might be a valid approach for the future. But as said above, if you look into previous editions, most of them probably already fit that criteria.

And to make it perfectly clear, in my personal opinion, yes, I do believe that active users should be prioritized, provided quality is maintained. Especially if we're talking about thresholds like the ones you mentioned @Tobikage.

20. JelleZon KitKat Jan 7, 2019

SJBoss likes this.