The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

jlasensiofi and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  2. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    A review process prior to voting is obviously necessary. There's no point relying on just votes.

Let's take another example...of forced "diversity" images (11).jpeg
    Cool hipster looking White Guy in glasses ?
    Black Guy ?
    Asian Indian looking Guy ?
    Asian Chick ?

Making up numbers just for that sole purpose doesn't count.
    The answer wasn't either. There's a number of ways to weed out the opportunists.

SJBoss, YRJ and AnonymousWP like this.
  3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 7, 2019 :
    And that's precisely the point of this thread. ;)

Well, you can believe it or not, but the 6T review process didn't force anything, moderators helped with the voting but did not know to whom the entries belonged to. I would know, I was there. :D

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Tobikage like this.
  4. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    You've been here for longer than most of us here.

So....a simple broader reach question.
    Is OnePlus on the right path ??

SJBoss likes this.
  5. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

BobbyV8_, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Point made already

TWSS, forums FTW

Either way, lots of 'influencers' gonna win

Cheetosdust, Tobikage and B_Wrath like this.
  6. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Moderators ? I'd rather put my trust in OnePlus legendary Algorithm :rolleyes:

Wait...what ? It's not about "The state of the Forum Community " ? :eek::rolleyes: it is now.

SJBoss, nyzproof333 and B_Wrath like this.
  7. Speedlover777 Gingerbread Jan 7, 2019

Speedlover777, Jan 7, 2019 :
    To be honest, I am not aware of what's going on here, I don't know what THE LAB is about, because I joined this community in the middle of 2018, shortly after I bought my first OnePlus device (5T). I hope it was helpful information.

8. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Hm, this is quite a tricky subject indeed. I feel that, to a certain degree, this started back from my previous Let's Talk entry that some things on contests started to change a bit.

It was followed up with a bit of a different selection process short after on some contest, and it was used again on the 6t McLaren edition contest that happened short ago.

I do agree to certain extent that "community" is not only forum based, let me explain why:
    I was part of the Open Ears Camera Forum, where I met with some people who did really have valuable insight. One of them was a OP5 lab reviewer I believe (Kurt) and another turned out to be a 6t lab reviewer (Marteen).
    Both of them might be more or less active in the community, I bet even both came from IG. I really do not know, I do see the value of them being reviewers, both are excellent photographers, did have excellent points to raise during the Open Ears forum and continued to be active and helpful to the bunch of us who wanted to keep contact with them. It also allows OnePlus to get some marketing value out of it, which is something we should not deny happens through this things. Some of my mates from the OP6 Lab review made some shots that look fire on OP's Instagram...

At the same time, I do understand (and prefer) to focus on people who is here and who will be active down the line. I also would rather to get feedback from people who I respect and appreciate or even know from here than just a random guy who enters, reviews and leaves. We can contact them in the future, see how properly devices age, get insight on opinions etc.. I do see value of that, as a consumer and forum user.

Past my personal point of view, a "proper" solution could be, create more activities like "let's talk" and similar stuff. From there, their winners pass a "selection round" by the community (the voting that was mentioned maybe? no new accounts and bla bla bla) and those become the lab reviewers of the year.
    In this particular way you do get to get more people known by participating on contests and encouraging participation and inclusion in the forums.

There would be no discussion about "bought" people or not etc. @Cheetosdust and @NeVeR_SeTTLe were both selected as OP6 lab reviewers through their level on "let's talk" contests right? I think no one would oppose on having more people selected in this way.

In the other hand, I've won a few contests (Open ears, lab reviewer, McLaren event atendee, McLaren OP6t winner) lately, it may be just due to quality of my content, due to friendship or recognisement or a combination of both. People might get annoyed if users like me, keep winning contests due to support via just being a "known name" just like @dsmonteiro was pointing out.

So, I am glad that OP is allowing the community to pick their choice, I do think it's quite nice, and shows a lot of will from them to allow us to be part of this decision (as in this thread proves), the question is how to balance everything.

That's the tricky thing to balance out... I guess we are not in a rush yet to decide so... this thread could be a long running white canvas to throw some brainstorming in...

9. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Just to confirm that you are indeed correct. :)

SJBoss, Bouncer71, luxuskamel and 2 others like this.
  10. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I am definitely pitching my ideas. It will take long because I'm busy with personal matters but will return to this thread...and

Boys and girls please play nice :D

11. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Ha, the two faces of the same coin right there, one after the other.

I already said, I'm more of the point that @B_Wrath is making, but it's also hard to not think there's the downside of that. Only known people would show up then. But then again... known people is known for a reason too... iffy balance to find there

luxuskamel, B_Wrath and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  12. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :

Like I've always said, Freephone Charlies ;)

NovinDavis and nyzproof333 like this.
  13. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    The poll is going to be surely after the admins and the committee go through the entries. So I'm pretty sure the quality will be present.
    Like you mentioned, it is a type of a kind gesture to the people who put in hours here trying to help out.
    The community started from here. Twitter, insta, discord all came later. The roots are either being forgotten or ignored.
    I have no problem in an social media influencer getting a chance. But that person has to become a part of the forum. Should be active here after being selected. Can the admins or oneplus promise us that? I don't see half the 6T squad being active here. Where are they? I don't see them trying to help here. I don't see them trying to keep the forum a sane place.
    There are so many regular members here who are capable of being an excellent reviewer. I just wish one day, at least for one lab, the squad, lab or showcase, is entirely made up of regulars.

Bouncer71 and Dunnow like this.
  14. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Ha, @Tobikage @theshinybeast @malidan @Mr. BG, people like yourself need to be part, past that.

I've noticed quite a few users that even tho 'relatively new', are super active and proactive around here. I would also push for them to be part of these activities.

It certainly would be nice to see all known faces from all opinions around here to be giving their POV about the device.

Hell, I would get a @malidan show, where OP provides one latest and greatest OP device together with another 4 or 5 picks from @malidan and puts them against each other.

Let him keep one, give away the rest to the community :p

Bouncer71, Mr. BG and B_Wrath like this.
  15. B_Wrath Lollipop Jan 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Exactly why I said regulars and not senior members:)

Bouncer71 likes this.
  16. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jan 7, 2019 :
    That would mean that you have to be very active in here, and spend a lot of time here around Indians who ask stupid questions.

17. nirajbhusal Gingerbread Jan 7, 2019

18. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    It is content that is read by people who are in here though... Not by random consumers on Instagram or Facebook...

after all, why wouldn't we want to read from people who we know we can trust and respect?

As I said, I see both sides of the coin, but I'm not getting publicity from Reddit or Instagram or Twitter, I'm getting it from the forum. The forum is my source of news, the forum is my source of announcements... it's a tradeof kinda.

As I said on my Lets talk a while ago, could be as simple as providing a particular pre-set number of devices directly to forum users instead of "anywhere else". People would know each year that 5 out of 10 reviews would be from forum users.

Still, it's a point of view, each one of us is entitled to one, I do prefer to get a review by someone I know and I could follow up with rather than someone who just happens to be a good marketing move. BUT, I do see the value of the marketing move too.

19. kuverti Gingerbread Jan 7, 2019

kuverti, Jan 7, 2019 :
    No, to polls

As you already said, over the years the Lab became part of OnePlus tradition and with every year I presume more and more people tend to apply for it. Which makes selecting more difficult.
    However, I don’t think making a poll is a solution that is fair to everyone as already a couple of others mentioned. Simply put, a lot of users have a bit of a following behind them and their posts attract a lot of attention by default. If you create a poll those users will be voted just based on their username. Public voting makes only sense from a marketing stand point due to quick mouth to mouth marketing with an extensive reach. To the “Lab contestant” it only depends on how big their little friend circle is which can never correlate to a good review. Furthermore, I haven’t met anyone excited for a FarmVille notification on Facebook. People are usually annoyed by being pushed to like someone’s posts, videos etc. for a like-based competition.
    In the end it comes more down to who knows who rather then what someone writes. If you still want to make a poll, make sure it won’t be a main factor in deciding.

The questions you already ask on the Google form make a lot of sense because in the end the reviewer will do just that. Review an electronic device with couple of photos. If you want to add a question add this opened one: “Where do you fit in the OnePlus story?”

In the end I would suggest picking someone that will stay on their threads for a while, answer questions from other users and someone that knows what they are saying.

btw Once you select your lucky few, you might realise that just by chance you picked a student, a photographer, a finical worker, a high school student with a passion of games, etc. So why not make them also write how their new phone, helps them in their field - a field where they are "an expert". You already send phones to hundreds of reviewers around the world, so why not make those from the Lab special and personalised.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

20. AnonymousWP Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jan 7, 2019 :
    So let's say because person X has a lot of knowledge and person Y doesn't, it means person Y, who's a populist here should get it and not person X? While X is the experienced person and Y is not for example. That's just weird... Then that still means person X has to talk a lot and invest a lot of time here to 'feel trusted'.

That's why OnePlus also asks about experience etc in the Google Form, happily.