The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Here's the view of another Lab boi.

I won the OnePlus 6 through the Lab programme.

What did I do for that?

- Wrote a review of my current device. Back then, I had the OnePlus 5 and wrote a review about it. But I scrapped it and just wrote a long text about Oxygen OS with all its upsides and downsides.
    - Wrote a review about another gadget of my choice. I chose the OnePlus Backpack back then because it had just survived a motorbike accident and saved my laptop and iPad perfectly. Also, I'm a backpack guy, so this was quite easy for me.
    - Posted my two best photos. Still proud of them lol

Application also had a text field for your social stuff. but I'm an Instagram-hater and so I didn't provide any.

All that stuff took me two hours or so of work per day, 3 days in total (for stuff like that, I'm a perfectionist so I did a lot of changing to the text, Lightroom editing, and more). That's quite a bit of time for a CHANCE to be chosen.

About our group: We were 10+ people, 5 of them from Let's Talk, 10 from applications.
    My findings after some superficial background checks:
    - part of us were great to provide OnePlus with Instagram content. Those were design students, people who live in great places to shoot images with your smartphone camera. Multiple images of us were featured on Instagram and other social handles via ShotOnOnePlus.
    - part of us were great writers (or would have been, s/o cheetosdust) who would provide nice texts
    - one or two were audiophiles with a very deep understanding of audio, great for marketing the Bullets Wireless
    - quite a bunch were active and known forum members, me included (I'm not the most prominent boi here, but I was tagged in a random thread so that's my level of being known lol)

In the end, The Lab is a marketing thing for OnePlus. Sure, getting a phone was great and all that, but it is hard work to take sample images, edit them, write texts, format everything, fight with the forum software and so on. I'd say, if I worked paid hours instead of writing the articles, I could've just bought the device from that money. Nothing wrong with a little creative challenge though :D
    Back to marketing, of course they won't provide stuff to some randies.
    They need Instagram people, great writers, trusted reviewers (you know the name, you trust the author) and so on.

In a big community, you can find many of them. Why am I writing all of that?
    1: I wanted to say that it's a great experience to be a Lab participant
    2: It's disrespectful to call Lab participants out for being "bought" or something. All of us invested time, money and more to become a Lab participant. Plus, we were explicitly told to write EVERYTHING down. Good or bad, they wanted all of that, publicly available. It showed with some of the Bullets reviews and even though my reviews were a bit more positive, I still found things that I didn't like.
    3: I don't think it's good to let the people choose. Take the backpack example. Participants cheated, people voted for those who they liked the most and it was overall weird. It's like letting the internet decide a name for a boat, in the end you'll get Boaty McBoatface.

2. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Alvie, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I think this is a good idea, it will ensure that those are chosen aren't selected just for being a massive fanboy/fangirl.

This is how the first lab worked, right?

Making multiple accounts to win, bribing users to vote for them, making multiple accounts to suggest their entry is the one that should be chosen.

Asking friends or relatives to vote is fine IMO.

Quality of writing (spelling, grammar, coherency, succinctness)
    Professional writing
    Ability to conduct a good review.
    Picture / photography quality (if necessary)
    Unbiased as possible but still gives an opinion.
    A little bit of humour

I think it should be kept as is.

Choose me again ;)

dsmonteiro and B_Wrath like this.
  3. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    It should be a random draw, as all they want is an opinion on their devices.
    The level of knowledege or experience should not matter as all levels of users purchase, but i wouldn't trust OP or staff to do that after a conversation i had with a staff member.;)

4. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Alvie, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Lol definitely not completely random though, I wonder how many crappy entries they get every year

B_Wrath and dsmonteiro like this.
  5. Aathif_Mahir Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

Aman_kalyan likes this.
  6. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 7, 2019 :
    While that has some logic to it, would you like to read a review from someone that doesn't have the necessary knowledge to go in-depth?

I know I certainly wouldn't.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  7. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

Think of a number and multiple it by 100. :D

Bouncer71, Alvie and B_Wrath like this.
  8. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Fair is random.

If it's not going to be fair, then just state the qualifying criteria and save many the time and energy entering something they never stood a chance of winning in the first place.

9. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I'm thinking about entering the next edition of The Lab via the Photography path.

Do I have to submit only photos I took with my OnePlus device or can I also use pictures snapped with other devices?

I'm asking because Santa gave me an Olympus camera and I'm confused.

Heyyyyyyyyy now!!!!! Who made that joke? Off with his head! :D

10. marinobiagio Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2019

marinobiagio, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Nope I think OP team will be more impartial and will respect de plurality of the community.

Yess It will be very annoying.. "Skilled" people could be penalized against spammers

Personal/Professional skills, passion for OnePlus (of course the reviewer have ti be impartial during the LAB!), Try to choose new people with different stories (Different study, city, skills, ecc...)

I think it's ok!

Yes! Could you select me for the OP7T's LAB? :)

11. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

There isn't a "photography path". The last three editions involved text and photography.

So, you prefer reading a review from someone that doesn't even know how to write proper English? Or that isn't able to properly structure a thought and just writes a bunch of unintelligible rambles? Because I can assure that's the vast majority of entries from the Lab, which, in turn would mean that most of the random picks would turn out like that.

Rules have been provided for previous editions: Submit a written review. Submit photos. The participants with the best overall content win.

Bouncer71 and Cheetosdust like this.
  12. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    I would, it might make for better reading than some of the dross that has been served up thus far.

From that statement alone, one can already picture how the selection process works. So as i said earlier, state the criteria required and save people the time and energy of entering something they have no chance of winning.

If the individuals money is good enough to take in return for a OP device, then so is their possibly less articulated review.:rolleyes:

13. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Awww, sorry, never paid close attention to The Lab. :oops:

Well, best of luck gathering feedback and I truly hope that the next edition is the best one yet. Can't wait to see what the future winners are going to bring to the table.

And I hope this thread changes its course soon. Something that was intended to be a celebration of a new device with the community is turning into something vile and nasty - the opposite of what it's should be.

14. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    as long as you make another unboxing like the one you did last time I'm fine with that. That was some MKBHD level shit right there...

Bouncer71, Alvie and dsmonteiro like this.
  15. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

You clearly haven't had to read through the tens of thousands of reviews that have been submitted, otherwise you probably wouldn't be saying that.

I just went over around 800 and it was hell. Some were straight up praising OnePlus left and right to try to snag a free device. I even saw someone saying the OnePlus 2 was the best device ever with an amazing camera. I'm sure you'd love to read something written by that person. :rolleyes:

What exactly do you mean by "criteria required"? Evaluating writing and photography is subjective. Bad English (as in poorly written, grammar and vocabulary wise) gets you cut, bad photography (from a technical perspective) gets you cut. That alone gets the list narrowed down to probably a few hundreds of entries. And then it's all about what is more enjoyable to read and see.

Alvie likes this.
  16. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Interesting statement here?
    I have seen some of these video's made by the winners and if they were the best.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I will say it again, if their money is good enough to be taken then their review is good enough for the forum and should be good enough for OP.

If this is not the case then this act of predudice should be stated clearly in the rules .:p

No wonder nearly all the Labs read the same.:rolleyes:

nyzproof333 likes this.
  17. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

SJBoss, Alvie and dsmonteiro like this.
  18. Y1546880400055 Cupcake Jan 7, 2019

19. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Have you?

Has any one individual?

I bet most don't even get read.:rolleyes:

OP see fit to hand out hundreds of devices to Youtubers( as stated by another member ) to spread the doctrine. Many of these maybe the same said people seen as not good enough to be in the LABS.

Be careful you might be losing OP money, as these people read what the Community Consultant thinks or what he is repeating.;)

SJBoss likes this.
  20. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 7, 2019

Yes. Again, I went through around 800 entries.

10 people were chosen out of tens of thousands. Of course most weren't good enough to be in the Lab. I think it's simple math. Tens of thousands is smaller than 10.