The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. johneebee Honeycomb Jan 7, 2019

johneebee, Jan 7, 2019 :
    what about some kind of "blind study" where the name of the reviewer in't posted but we do get to read a piece of what they wrote but we only get to vote on their number in order not to create favouritism?

( with any kind of voting system you'll always have the chance of some one asking his friends to vote for him, this can't be helped. This being said, I do agree that not everybody should get to vote/ be a lab reviewer, only people who have contributed to this community and not new accounts with only a few posts)

dsmonteiro likes this.
  2. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    That should read NO as 800 is fair way short of
    This

As for the winners, it is very clear to me that they are selected by:
    Head count per media platform
    Geographics
    And has very little to do with which are the best.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

SJBoss likes this.
  3. malidan Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

malidan, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Agreed i think.:D
    Bro your comment has ended up in the OP snobs section so it's going to need a bit of translating.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

4. sommersy KitKat Jan 7, 2019

sommersy, Jan 7, 2019 :
    @Trista W. Hi! Thanks for inviting our input; a lot of people here probably stay tuned to read the Lab reviews and so on. Here's my answers to the questions:
    1. No. Nope, sorry, horrible idea. I can't help but echo the objections of some other users in earlier replies. You'd end up getting the same reviewers, or reviewers from certain user-groups, year in year out. Sorry again, but no.
    2. N/a; see above.
    3. Review skills, as well as others related to tech-reviewing, obv.
    4. Maybe ones that assess existing/emerging review skills, as well as prior review/writing/photography experience. May help avoid a certain, uh, issue from last year. Also, assessing for experience with OP products (so as to compare with existing legacy devices) might be useful.
    5. Pick me? :D :p No seriously, I think the Lab will go as well as in previous years. Looking forward to it :)

Bouncer71 likes this.
  5. jlasensiofi KitKat Jan 7, 2019

jlasensiofi, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Buf @Trista W., It's very complicated.

Personally I do not feel qualified to indicate the criteria that the team should use in the initial selection or the questions that you should ask in the application form.

If I dare to say that in my opinion it would not be good if there were possibility that the candidates call their friends or relatives to vote for them. If that happened, there could be candidates who could have many votes but be bad reviewers.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  6. xMcMx Honeycomb Jan 7, 2019

xMcMx, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Don't choose people who just signed up for a free phone but actually take part in this community.

B_Wrath, Bouncer71 and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. Mr. BG Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

sommersy, Tobikage, B_Wrath and 3 others like this.
  8. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 7, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 7, 2019 :
    A lot of valuable points made already about the selection process...

Because I find it exhausting to follow 10-15 full extended reviews..
    I would suggest to limit the number reviewers to 5 maybe plus one special guest...

Everyone gets a different main subject to work on plus the new feature that has to be reviewed in every submission..
    The unboxing should be a thread of it's own...
    Except the special guest has to do a full comprehensive review..
    There has to be a guideline what has to be reviewed...

That way it would be easier to discuss or ask questions about the different subjects without trying to follow 10 reviews...

For example:

Camera Reviewer:

1.Unboxing

2. Camera:
    2.1. Photography
    Auto-Mode, HDR, Portrait, Bokehpatterns, Nightscape, Pro-Mode, Raw, Panorama, Selfies with every additional mode available..

2.2. Videography
    1080p, 4K, Slow-mo, Time lapse...

3. Gallery
    Experience editing photos and videos...

4. What ever new feature the phone has indepth...

5. Short overall conclusion about the experience...

Hope that makes any sense... ;D

YRJ, dsmonteiro, B_Wrath and 3 others like this.
  9. Guru_Lingeri Eclair Jan 7, 2019

Guru_Lingeri, Jan 7, 2019 :
    polling by only oneplus elite staff..

make a team of elites maybe 10 who are in no way allowed to disclose their appointment as elites n then let them do the initial selections. that'd be better.. the polling will be acceptable then if only they vote

Bouncer71 likes this.
  10. TibiTibi Marshmallow Jan 7, 2019

Bouncer71 likes this.
  11. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 8, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 8, 2019 :
    In my humble opinion, I honestly believe the selection process should remain as it is. It's impossible to please everyone and there will always be "bad losers", for lack of a better expression, no matter what is changed or tinkered with. You could effect many changes but the end result will always be the same, ie someone won't like the results, mainly because they didn't get a " free" phone. I say "free" because most people who review the devices obviously put a lot of effort into their reviews and that cost tends to be forgotten.

However, I don't like the idea of "average" folks competing against semi-pro Instagramistas, bloggers or whatever , as it seems to defeat the purpose of the whole process. It just doesn't feel right.

Sharinnn, dsmonteiro and meatandy like this.
  12. M1534699007682 Cupcake Jan 8, 2019

13. Dark Blitzer Donut Jan 8, 2019

Dark Blitzer, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I think that using a poll there will be favouritism, guys. It's absolutely normal! Anyone can call a friend and get later a few votes.

Probably the best solution is to stay anonymous.

You, just like now, should choose someone instead of others for clearity, knowledge of technology, passion for the technology too... Maybe yes, shooting skills too just because we don't want to see only selfies or cats picture in non-pro mode in a review.

14. meatandy Nougat Jan 8, 2019

meatandy, Jan 8, 2019 :
    The Lab holds a special place in my heart from a grass roots level , if you don't know why ask
    David Y. or Ruby.
    I have always tried to look at OnePlus projects and promotions with a balanced view point knowing that the Lab (or similar) is part review , part marketing and that's just fine with me , that's business. If you don't want to be part of the promotion then don't participate , plain and simple.

However , I feel the review pool is too large and should be limited to ten forum* reviews at most regardless of where they are "sourced" , however a certain sum out of the ten should be "locals".
    Yes , more of the same...

Some ideas to ponder ,
    - A few launch reviews completed via video on launch day .

-How about a fan/celebrity unboxing , short review recorded pre- launch for one lucky user .
    (If the celebrity wouldn't mind sharing the spotlight)?

- How about a working man's review ? not necessarily an illegible review , just a bit less "polished" than some of the lastest reviews. I feel that if a user can give their best effort , all the best to them .

- How about a random street unboxing / first impressions video review with some unsuspecting passers by .

- How about skipping all this and simply watch my reviews on YouTube. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Deepak.Si, SJBoss, Sharinnn and 4 others like this.
  15. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 8, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Coz you are to blame for all of this ! :rolleyes:

NovinDavis, Deepak.Si, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  16. meatandy Nougat Jan 8, 2019

meatandy, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I'm a big boy , I can take it. ;)

Deepak.Si, SJBoss, Sharinnn and 4 others like this.
  17. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 8, 2019

Tobikage, Jan 8, 2019 :
    It's about time you came up with a better idea than this ! :p

18. meatandy Nougat Jan 8, 2019

meatandy, Jan 8, 2019 :
    There have been other ideas ;) , not sure if they have been used or not , maybe tweaked a bit.:rolleyes:

19. Cx_1522323 Froyo Jan 8, 2019

Cx_1522323, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I think you guys should do a poll and choose some people with some new ideas and not the old video unboxing. I think u should have us take a poll and give u guys an idea of how we are going to do it. We should have an choice of posting on Instagram, Twitter, etc.

20. Aman_kalyan Gingerbread Jan 8, 2019

Aman_kalyan, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I think polling isn't the best way for the selection as there are many OnePlus users who are relatively new here in the forum but want to be involved in the process. (When I say relatively new I mean nothing less than ICS)
    There's no doubt that the OGs will get a huge benefit. By introducing polls you will be shutting off the door to so many community members. So in my opinion,the team at OnePlus should do the selection from beginning to end.

dsmonteiro likes this.