The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. cdnfarmer Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2019

cdnfarmer, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I don't think a poll is the best approach. There will always be favouritism whether or not names are associated with the entry. And you will hear from a limited number of people that may or may not represent the majority of the community or the forum members. Furthermore, who will sit and review 6-12 applications equally and thoroughly? So it will be biased reviews and the order in which they are presented will affect the likes (just look on items on a thread... First few are seen lots but less on page 5 eventhough the quality is the same or better) Honestly, I think OnePlus staff have done a good job picking the reviewers. Whatever criteria you have used seem to work. The community can and should be used in other functions
    People getting friends or forum people to vote would show popularity vs value or quality of contribtions. How can you prove authenticity of items and forum users should not have to worry about it.
    whatever you have use previously has been good. Here are some suggestions which you may or may not already do: ability to critical evaluate an item. Positive and take the role seriously but can communicate information in an easy way or fun way to read.
    so far, the criteria has been successful. You guys can see what they do in the forum and attitudes.
    I thought the 6T Approach was good and different as they picked some stuff and didn't have to review everything. They could focus on areas they picked which they can review in detail. Provided that each area was covered appropriately among all the reviewers then this approach is good.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

2. Fidda Gingerbread Jan 8, 2019

Fidda, Jan 8, 2019 :
    A poll is a very good idea. While it might feel unfair for some people if someone calls their friends to vote for them, I don't think there's much you can do about it. I think that the questions you currently ask are fine, especially the one that we have to review our current device (that's a good idea).

3. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2019

Sujknair, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I think the gist of what i've to say has been already said and discussed before, but here's my two cents.

I previously thought that the LAB was exclusive to the forum members. However, eventually i learnt that it extended to instagram, etc members too. I was kinda fine with that, considering that they were a part of the community too.

However, i feel that too much emphasis is being given to photography, with the submissions. A phone is for far more than just taking photos. Granted, you want the device to look good in the reviews. But the number of reviewers in the past with photography related pages in instagram is off-putting to be honest.

A blind review test might be the way to go, if at all the judges can sit through the tons of amateur reviews being written by us. A poll is good, only if it is conducted blind. Else, forum ghosts like me will hardly stand a chance.

iNtEnSePL, B_Wrath and YASHPLUSONE. like this.
  4. Luigi Gaudino Eclair Jan 8, 2019

Luigi Gaudino, Jan 8, 2019 :
    [QUOTE = "Trista W., post: 19779288, membro: 1698555"] [ATTACH = pieno] 952403 [/ ATTACH]

Ciao a tutti,

Come sapete, The Lab è stata una tradizione preziosa nella nostra comunità dal OnePlus 3. I revisori di Lab sono in genere sia timbratori che scribacchini, uniti da una comune missione di fornire un'introduzione genuina e dettagliata sui nostri ultimi dispositivi. Stiamo cercando di rendere The Lab ancora migliore! Mentre abbiamo già alcuni pensieri, vogliamo davvero ascoltare le opinioni della comunità prima di finalizzare i dettagli.
    1. Cosa ne pensi di utilizzare un sondaggio per decidere i finalisti? Il team OnePlus eseguirà prima la selezione preliminare per garantire la qualità delle voci.
    2. Se decidessimo di condurre un sondaggio, quale considereresti personalmente come un comportamento "da barare"? Se i candidati chiamano i loro amici o parenti a votare per loro, è accettabile?
    3. Quali criteri dovrebbe utilizzare la squadra nella nostra selezione iniziale?
    4. Quali domande dovremmo chiedere nel modulo di domanda? Normalmente, chiediamo alle persone di scrivere una recensione sui loro gadget elettronici preferiti e caricare diversi esempi della propria fotografia.
    5. Avete altri suggerimenti per "The Lab"?
    Non esitate a condividere le vostre opinioni nella sezione commenti qui sotto. Anche se potremmo non essere in grado di implementare le idee di tutti, sarò sicuro di leggere e considerare attentamente le opinioni di tutti. [/ QUOTE]

5. Luigi Gaudino Eclair Jan 8, 2019

Luigi Gaudino, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Ciao a tutti,
    prima di tutto grazie a @Trista W. per questo argomento.
    Sono entrato a far parte della comunità per un breve periodo, esattamente da quando ho acquistato l'edizione McLaren di Oneplus 6t e me ne sono innamorato.
    Quando i miei amici o colleghi vedono il mio smartphone, c'è ancora qualcuno che mi dice: Oneplus? Che marca è? Non lo conosco; Oppure: Oh sì, ho visto un video su YouTube ma lo youtuber gira con un iPhone.
    Questo non piace! Ho visto molte recensioni di video e nessuno mi aveva mostrato che con l'Oneplus 6t avrei risolto i problemi del Wi-Fi a casa mia, che non dovevo più comprare una macchina fotografica perché la fotocamera dello smartphone è bellissima;
    Mi piacerebbe sapere da una recensione e mi piacerebbe vedere gli eventi di persone normali, non gli attori di YouTube.
    Penso di aver risposto in parte alle domande di TRISTA W., sono d'accordo con un sondaggio, e per quanto riguarda le foto devi solo farle sulla filigrana Oneplus con il tuo nome.
    Il team dovrebbe selezionare persone che credono nella tecnologia Oneplus e che vivono ogni giorno con un dispositivo Oneplus, che anche dopo alcuni anni può raccontare la propria esperienza su hardware e software

G1546636762838 likes this.
  6. artloverjv Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2019

artloverjv, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I personally was against the poll, but I think the idea of making the finalists anonymous during the poll is actually a really good idea.
    So True. I think one of the reasons for the "fall" is that all the new users see these update posts which are quite frequent, and mistake the community forums to be a complaint forum. They just haven't been here enough to know the community and cannot be blamed. The starting point is there, but I don't think most people even consider checking out the forums before it's too late to post in the starting point.

I think one of the major turnoffs about the Lab and other contests is seeing the Cupcakes win. I'm not saying that the winners are not talented, No! But, hear me out. A community member checks the contest announcement and tells his/her friend about it, who happens to be a professional reviewer, photographer, musician or just someone who has great knowledge about what he's doing. They create an account and submit their entry and win.
    They just don't feel like a part of the community because they're not. They're just here for the contest. And they pretty much disappear after it.
    Now, I don't want that only Jellybeans enter contests, but at least they should be eclairs or froyos so we know that this guy has been a part of this community long enough.

7. Dresa91 Oreo Jan 8, 2019

Dresa91, Jan 8, 2019 :
    thank you for your statement :)
    I personally this is the only fair method if you have an anonymous poll

8. artloverjv Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2019

artloverjv, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Yes, although I still think that calling out relatives and friends to vote will still be an issue, even after making the entrants anonymous.

iNtEnSePL and Dresa91 like this.
  9. Dresa91 Oreo Jan 8, 2019

Dresa91, Jan 8, 2019 :
    yeah, indeed.

10. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 8, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 8, 2019 :
    what about my chit chat with my friend IRL?

11. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 8, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 8, 2019 :
    that's what PM is for right?

artloverjv likes this.
  12. YASHPLUSONE. Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2019

YASHPLUSONE., Jan 8, 2019 :
    Updated my original post, but I really feel everything I have put forward has already been said before. I can only echo their suggestions . I would like to take a minute and recognise @AnonymousWP @B_Wrath @Tobikage @Dresa91 @cdnfarmer @Cheetosdust @Dunnow @kuverti @Bouncer71 @FlixbusLennart @marinobiagio @sommersy @theshinybeast @meatandy @Aman_kalyan @Sujknair and @artloverjv for the different dimensions they have added to this thought, they have put ahead some solid points worth pondering upon, everyone's suggestion together is important and logical in its own way, it is difficult to come to a conclusion on the basis of same.I am completely convinced when I am reading a particular suggestion in it's entirety and I couldn't agree more, but as soon as I shift to the next one it adds yet another dimension to the previous one and urges me to think of yet another possibility. If a little bit of something from everyone's opinion is picked and implemented in the right proportion we will possibly have the most successful lab till date.
    I am glad that @Trista W. Is atleast asking the community's opinion, weather it will be implemented.....? Only time will tell!
    Good Luck :)

13. Dresa91 Oreo Jan 8, 2019

Dresa91, Jan 8, 2019 :
    great words my friend :)

14. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 8, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I don't like neither idea
    - poll difficult to make it really anonymous,
    - old style - I will never believe that chosen entrants are based only on quality of entries. There's a key (3 from instagram, 3 from youtube - all have to have massive followers numbers, 2 known >=Kitkat members (so others shut up), 2 rookies from India)

Personally, due to the way it's been ogranized before, I stopped reading Lab entries, stopped entering Lab contests (writing again the review just for the sake of writing it, and not really having a chance to be noticed among tens of thousands of entries). I don't use Instagram, I don't use FB, I'm not a youtuber. I'm not from India. There is no language section for my country in the forums, there are no events organized in my country (namely Poland, which ships and services a large part of OnePlus Devices for whole Europe). I'm not in the target group - I stand no chance of winning. I have never won a contest (the last one was Christmas Songs, and that was a really LAST one for me), a raffle.

So OnePlus, @Trista W. I find no value in Lab, other than marketing stunt - let's be clear, it has to be organized your way, the way that suits marketing purposes. Don't make a marketing tool out of us. I stopped liking it, and that drives me away from this place more and more.

You want to say thank you to the community? Make a giveaway, with a probability of winning equal post number + likes / total forum posts number in recent month / quarter / year.

You want users to write something good for others - treat them as partners, not just a marketing tool.

You want to make a contest for Instagrammers - organize it there with a photo post, youtube - make it there, FB - do it on FB. If you want to make a contest on community forum, make it for forum members ONLY. And make it either a contest with EVEN chances, or a weighted giveaway. Keep it old way - I'm out for good.

15. YASHPLUSONE. Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2019

I agree with all that you say above except for this specific statement!
    If users have huge following on YouTube then they need not approach OnePlus or join the labs, the marketing team will themselves contact the content creators direct and send to them a free device as they already have the audience and that is all it takes for marketing! Right?

Sujknair and iNtEnSePL like this.
  16. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 8, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Right brother!

YASHPLUSONE. likes this.
  17. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 8, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Until Carl calls us all "Friends" ;)

SJBoss, Dunnow, B_Wrath and 2 others like this.
  18. YASHPLUSONE. Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2019

One more suggestion!
    Lab reviewers should not have a option to choose between video/text.
    It should be all text, as a video takes out the essence of the review, it starts to taste like sugar coated s*it.
    I personally enjoy the joy of reading, and it is supposed to be that way. When a user is shifting to a video review he concentrates more on making it visually appealing rather than focusing on the content. As far as text only is concerned it includes pure content and nothing else. (A couple pictures ofc! But I wouldn't mind that)
    It is no secret that in this method people can go wrong! (Ref: OnePlus 6T the lab reviewers) I appreciate the reviewers work and effort in making such a great video but content? Negligible.
    Should I want amazing videos with great content, I head over to YouTube to meet the old mates, MKBHD, Jonathan Morrison etc...,
    What I expected of the lab is pure thoughts and nothing else. Judging on the basis of actual potential rather that looks alone. Just as lady justice has been doing!

19. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2019

Sujknair, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Exactly my sentiments. If they're famous on insta/youtube, etc. Then why not give them a device outright to review? Instead of bunging them together with the rest of the average user.

Bouncer71, iNtEnSePL and YASHPLUSONE. like this.
  20. The_Unkown Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2019

The_Unkown, Jan 8, 2019 :
    @Trista W.

I am really very happy for this move. I can't say for certainly , but what I personally see , people who so ever are getting the product , I don't know why , they prefer to keep in dark the negative reviews .

I know , it may seem to be a judgemental type of my reaction , but trust me , see the all previous reviews , they are ( mostly ) positive only .

I know the device OnePlus makes are awesome , I have two of them. But the concept behind the lab review is not seem to be fulfilled as far as I can see .

Voting wouldn't be very good idea , because you are right about voting to be biased , as I have seen in the Backpack review .

I have a very interesting idea ,

please give attention once .

Select the reviewer as per the present criteria , I mean the way now team is selecting , keep it similar.

check the background of user , I mean it should come from every dimensions, like engineering , photography , normal user , gamer , social media user etc etc ,

Select more number of people , ask them to visit at some sort of location , give them the device to use for 2-3 days and take back their devices .

once they put the review for the device , check for it and verify for its authenticity , let yourself ensured if it has proper feedback for everything , and no biasing has been done , and negative aspects has been mentioned .

And then put the reviews of their to the community and let the other people decide . And then go for voting . people with more likes and votes should only be given the brand new device . Not all.

this will help you get better review and better feedback. and it will be more transparent as well.

This was my idea.

Trista W. likes this.