The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 8, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I've got a solution!!
    Requirements to join the lab;
    1. Must be Irish.
    2. Must have at least 13,290 posts in the forum.
    3. Must be over 50.
    4. Must own a One plus 3 right now.
    5. Must live in Bilbao.
    6. Must have joined the forum in November 2014.

Simple, practical and absolutely fair I'd say.

[​IMG]

Way too many folks " tirando piedras y escondiendo la mano" in this thread right now. :(

SJBoss, B_Wrath, Sharinnn and 5 others like this.
  2. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 8, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Oh I understood that. :cool:

And people think I only know "Fueeeego, caliente" in Spanish. Tsk Tsk :D

SJBoss, dsmonteiro and theshinybeast like this.
  3. alessiodales Gingerbread Jan 8, 2019

alessiodales, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Using a poll it's a thing. Maybe to be used for some contests would be a great idea with OnePlus team deciding the entries. OnePlus team should consider the user votes and then make the final decision. Don't just choose by user votes.
    You have the final decision. You can choose whether the top voted entry or not.

That should be acceptable because friends are not robots made for doing what you tell them to do. For sure, they could help the candidate, but he would need to find those friends or relative that actually want to help him. Someone wants to and someone doesn't. Maybe a friend or a relative is just expressing a personal thought choosing the (even if he is influenced by the candidate friend) personal liking element of the poll.

I would say 'Cheating' is when a candidate creates other accounts just to vote himself.
    That's definitely cheating.

Well... You should choose the entries considering these factors:

- Personal OnePlus team ideas about the entry
    - effort spent to make the entry (Effort made by the user to create something)
    - Quality of the analyzed entry.
    - User profile. (Not sure about this.)

I'm not sure about this.

SJBoss and dsmonteiro like this.
  4. Shuller Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2019

Shuller, Jan 8, 2019 :
    Hi, I think it is a good initiative.
    Using a poll will be better then OP team selecting them, because it will be more transparent and more credible that reviewers will be random guys and not undercover OP agents.
    Using and inviting friends to vote I would say it is totally legit!
    I would remove the initial selection criteria, trust your community, let the comunity filter them.
    It is ok to ask participants to post some short reviews, because it helps to make a decision if he really can describe well something... moreover, I would share that info and based on that info users can be voted in the poll.

The only suggestion is to not increase the price, however that is an off topic in here)

Cheers,

YRJ likes this.
  5. ofi90 Eclair Jan 8, 2019

ofi90, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I think people of this forum should always have been more important than people from other 'social media'. If someone want to know more about brand oneplus or knowledge about his phone - he comes here and get to know about it. Person like this is more valuable than some random people who bought a oneplus and they nothing to do with it more. I think the success of oneplus mostly depends of tickets and task which people made by this app and they want it to improve their phone by contacting directly to devs. This is the most important thing which any of othrr brands of smartphones just don't get it - community and connect with developer who are always welcome to hear about new issues.
    I really appreciate i have opportunity to contact to people who delivers to me this software (and hardware as well!!!)

Keep it up guys from oneplus and i think one day this brand will be desire more any other device (thanks to direct support and great community)

<3

6. Sharinnn Lollipop Jan 8, 2019

Sharinnn, Jan 8, 2019 :
    I've got all I need
    [​IMG]

SJBoss, YRJ, B_Wrath and 1 other person like this.
  7. xuj4005 Donut Jan 9, 2019

xuj4005, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Hmm, this sounds cool. I recently joined the community with a OnePlus 6t so I don't know what The Lab is :/. From the criteria, I can tell it's where selected members of this community will do product reviews? Anyways, I think friends can vote for you because it's not unfair to gather support among people you know.

8. ankitgondalia The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

ankitgondalia, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I don't get it why is Instagram being dragged into all this? Selection was based on our submission and not because of number of followers on Instagram. Just like others, we also had to submit the LAB form, we had to write 300 words of review. Talking about being active on forums, I was pretty much active before being selected for LAB review.

maarten_lisboa and iNtEnSePL like this.
  9. F_Satyendra_Singh_tQFD Donut Jan 9, 2019

10. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Because some people feel the need to discuss it using words not photos. I'm not into discussion about how it worked in the past. I think we are giving or opinions here about how we would like to see it for next Lab. One of my ideas was to leave the Instagram contest on Instagram, soy you are not forced to write here. Hope you understand my point of view now.

ankitgondalia likes this.
  11. YRJ KitKat Jan 9, 2019

YRJ, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Although I shouldn't be jumping into this mess and sour graping, I genuinely feel that your Instagram has supported your entry and influenced your selection.
    I do not have anything against you, I appreciate your work and I follow your page too! But I support the claim.
    The questions is not who got selected or how he actually, got selected but the question is how can this process be made a bit more engaging and exclusive for the forum?

I agree, the allegations can be baseless. Who's to blame? No one actually. The staff members did not make it clear what they actually look for when they say the word 'Lab' I have repeatedly requested the admins via PM and on the winner announcement thread itself, that the winners entries be made public. It serves 2 purposes,
    Firstly, it improves the quality of entries in the upcoming labs, as people get an idea how it is done, Well!
    Secondly, it can shut many mouths, the fact that 10-15 are selected among hundreds of thousands of entrants means that the original entry must be exceptional and really well written, I do trust that selections would've been both, a fair and a difficult process, but an evidence must be presented to prove what was so great that they picked the 10 or 15 people. It would not be right to ask them to make all the entries public but the winning entries must be made public IMO.

Offline or online, community is a composition of it all! But let the lab be reserved to the active and contributing members of the forums.

I rest my case! ✌️☮️

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

SJBoss, iNtEnSePL and B_Wrath like this.
  12. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jan 9, 2019 :
    1. I think a poll can be a future idea given on what format you guys will present it to us. Before, so many users were asking in [The Lab] threads about seeing the winning entries. If you guys will do a poll, then the selected entries should contain the reviews of products so that the Community users can judge for themselves. In addition to the poll, I would also give the Community users freedom to write their opinion and reason as to why this entry is the reason that they picked. It would be very informative and concrete.

2. As to what I wrote as my answer in Question 1, I believe that a valid reason would be a distinguishable condition for that "entry" to be picked, therefore making "Cheating" non-existent. As far as "Cheating" goes, you guys can also add a security measure so that the same IP Address cannot vote more than once. Again, there might be Community users who go to another public place and cast votes from different computers - so how do you guys stop this from happening? The answer is two weeks or whatever limit you want to set before [The Lab] opens, you can restrict newly registered Community members from voting. Sometimes users create new usernames just so that they will vote for their friend/relative/family member.

3. The criteria that you guys should use in your initial selection is:

A. Quality of the material
    B. Coherent structure
    C. Keywords
    D. Brevity
    E. Relevance
    F. Spelling

4. To ask Community users to write a review and upload their photography is a good start as it shows 1.) the users style of writing and 2.) their photography skills to take pictures but I would also take into consideration that not many users who are using a mobile can take great pictures and edit them in a 3rd party editing program. So I believe that when taking into consideration pictures from our Community users, we should also look at pictures that are not from a professional point of view as most people using a mobile camera just want to point and shoot. Besides these two things, I would also add these questions:

A. What makes good content and how do you know it's good?
    B. How do you write about a subject that is technical without depending on jargon or slang?
    C. What do you do to make your writing more reviewer friendly?
    D. How do you proofread your work?
    E. Can you describe the difference between their, there and they're? (I know it sounds ridiculous but I see this mistake made all the time)

Questions like this will give you guys more insight and a sense into a user's style of writing.

5. Any other suggestions? Just one. When you guys open a thread announcing [The Lab], there should be written clear and concise information on how you guys will choose the winners and all other important information to the Community. I know this has been done in the past but maybe adding other relevant information that you guys think would be helpful information for the Community users to have.

Just my two cents ;)

@Ruby G. @Crystal Z. @David Y. @dsmonteiro @Cheetosdust @Bouncer71 @script @Shivang Joshi @Alvie @Dunnow any additional thoughts from you guys?

13. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 9, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 9, 2019 :
    As I mentioned above, I agree with the question raised by some users about some winners just registering just for the contest and never returning back does need to be addressed. I do believe that users with prior Forum participation should be preferred. I disagree however with the notion that you need to have thousands of posts to be considered "part of the community".

I also believe that quality is of the utmost importance. Not just the written part but also photography. Reviews need to be compelling to read. Some aspects of it are objective ("Coherent structure", "Spelling" and also grammar) but there's also a subjective side to it.

I have mixed feelings about community voting. Without wanting to take any credit away from @Dunnow, the McLaren contest was a good example of it. People tend to vote on people they know. It's human nature. At the same time, I do like to see Community being an active part as much as possible.

14. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

Regarding your importance in photography, I do agree somewhat. When you and I were the reviewers in [The Lab], our camera review was really based on "Auto" Settings of the camera - without any 3rd party app editing. That is what I meant when I wrote that most people just point and shoot (without any professional photography skills), which I feel that users who do not have a super informative idea on how to edit photos should also be considered for the [The Lab].

Regarding voting, I do believe that it would be a good idea to incorporate the Community users in it as this is a Community, which all of us contribute, and that is exactly the point. In order for the poll to work, there should be standards set (valid reason for a user casting his/her vote) and other standards. Everyone has a different point of view and I do respect them for it.

I also would like to see in [The Lab] video reviews, instead of written reviews. Some of the reviewers in [The Lab] did their reviews based on video....so maybe it would be a good idea to have half of the participants picked based on video say 6 of them and the other half picked based on written reviews. What do you think about that?

15. YRJ KitKat Jan 9, 2019

YRJ, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Cannot agree more! I wanted to highlight this earlier but then again, I did not want people to be disappointed by my opinion.
    No doubt, Dunnow did very well be it the contest or the unboxing itself, but the benifit of being an old member added with the fact that he was the only familiar face among all played the trick.
    I am glad that Dunnow won, but if I really have to choose between all of the entries blindfolded, just the way lady Justice would do! I would not doubt pick @mi6t0 . In his video I saw the perfect balance of emotions.
    Be it joy, excitement, surprise or the fact that he is indeed unboxing the most expensive and powerful phone from OnePlus, all of it was on his face and was flushed in his voice. It persuaded me to watch and share the excitement too....
    I strongly believe that everyone involved has done a great job, and TBH I do not have any hard feeling, be it anyone. I appreciate the winner is Dunnow and the fact that we all know him from a long time.
    This is just my opinion and I don't specifically want anyone to be moved by this.
    Peace! ☮️✌️

16. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

Lots of people voted for @mi6t0 too and he is not that popular as @Dunnow. I do agree that most people vote for the person they know, but if there are standards set, then it will be less and less to vote for the most popular person that we know. Standards of voting are also important in eliminating users who vote for the most "popular" person. I voted for @Dunnow and not because I know him and he was part of my OnePlus 6 Reviewer team but because I provided a valid reason as to why he should be picked the winner. Others didn't really specify the reasons only they voted without a reason. So as you see, standards set do the trick in setting apart voting.

iNtEnSePL and YRJ like this.
  17. YRJ KitKat Jan 9, 2019

YRJ, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Totally Agree!
    So another addition, if voting is introduced in the lab, should be that people must actually justify who and why they choose. It is no wonder that the final vote count will decrease drastically but we can be sure that the vote is valuable, justified and unbiased.
    Just the way it was in the community superlatives.
    Not literally a poll, but still a poll. Where the vote will only be counted if justified!
    :)
    Not as easy as it may sound, but if implemented would be great!

iNtEnSePL and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  18. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 9, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 9, 2019 :
    That's easily solvable by setting new photography rules for the Lab: No edits, Auto mode should be tested.

Still, you see many people taking pictures in terrible circumstances and then complaining about how bad the camera (regardless of the real quality of the camera). So you need people that know to at least point-and-shoot at the right things. Furthermore, the review also needs pictures of the phone itself, so it's important that the person doing the review knows how to shoot.

We actually asked @ankitgondalia to make a video review and people end up bashing him. I like video, but it's way more time consuming than a regular video (you still need to make a written review, shoot it and then edit it). Moreover, to make it interesting, the video can't be that long so it ends up being less detailed than a regular review. Still, I know that video reviews are very popular among some audiences, so it's a nice format to implement.

19. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I'm with you...

There should definitely be more hurdles to overcome entering the LAB to reduce the number of applicants.
    It would make the selection process for the judges a lot easier...

But I don't think just casual usage like point and shoot photography should be considered. That would be like making a gaming review playing Candy Crush and Tetris...
    The review should contain every aspect from casual to semi-professional/hardcore...
    I could never do a gaming or OS review because I don't know a lot about it...
    Only play spider solitaire and yeah OS is snappy and I know my way around a bit, but that's about it... ; )

Since I learned a new word: Brevity... ; )

Long story short:
    Diverse knowledge and experience at minimum amateur level about the to be reviewed subject is a must to be able to point out the Good and the Bad... And that's what I liked about a lot of past LAB reviews...!

Although I'm still missing a good example of Bokeh patterns usage... ;D

YRJ, NeVeR_SeTTLe and Dresa91 like this.
  20. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

Now that I think about what you wrote, yes, it makes sense to take into consideration an aspect from casual - semi profesional - hardcore cause it's a fair play.

Every aspect should be covered, especially Bokeh ;) I did cover this in my last [The Lab] review but maybe not enough, although I find that bokeh is an important part especially macro and portrait :)

YRJ, iNtEnSePL and Bouncer71 like this.