The Lab Brainstorm - help us make this tradition even better.

1. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Yep, without the reviewer knowing a bit about the subject up for testing The LAB would be The Kindergarten... ; )

Edits should only be allowed for RAW or if explicitly tested on how good the jpg quality is for editing and originals must be included...

2. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I see where it's heading. There is no possibility for all to agree on:
    - what method to choose for selecting Lab participants
    - what should they actually do and where to get selected
    - whom The Lab should should be addressed to (active forum members - and what "active means", anyone with enough followers on any social site that pleases OnePlus from marketing standpoint, someone's grandma, someone else's dog... you know what I mean)

And now we're also discussing what vote would be OK, which one not quite OK, and which one invaild and why. Who would be eligible to judge quality of votes... :)

We're building a second EU commission, I don't know if we can fit Beijing with all planned offices :D and staff :)

SJBoss, NeVeR_SeTTLe and YRJ like this.
  3. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Why doesn't OnePlus just select reviewers by proficiency in select areas and have them do a deep dive in the subject they love and know. Leave "regular" reviews for paid influencers. That would make it really valuable and different from what we have today. And apart from generating the "buzz" they'd be a good way for community to learn something, or get to know bits that just can't fit the regular review format.

NeVeR_SeTTLe and YRJ like this.
  4. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    You did a great job there... 8D

But as I said I still miss a good use for those hearts and stars... ; )

Thinking about point and shoot...
    There a big misconception amongst a lot of users..

I think I'll stick with "casual" and not use the "point and shoot" term any more... 8D

YRJ and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  5. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Great idea...!!! 8D
    But that would extinguish the hype generated by thousands who hope for a free phone... ;D

So probably won't happen...

NeVeR_SeTTLe, YRJ and iNtEnSePL like this.
  6. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    But it's a kind of silent hype - there's nothing that requires entrants to actually post on Twitter, on FB or on Instagram that they do participate - so people outside the community see that action and a OnePlus logo. Without that the reach of The Lab remains the same - the outcome the same.

The difference:
    - the more people wanting to win, the more people disappointed
    - more quality coming out of The Lab - it would actually be THE LAB - not the Kindergarten for wannabe journalists.

So we are talking this
    [​IMG]
    instead of this
    [​IMG]

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Bouncer71 like this.
  7. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Certainly cool...!

But idk...

There's already test like that. e.g. on this German site...

https://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldun...nePlus_6_auf_Bildqualitat_getestet/10902.aspx

With expression like Signal to noise ratio, barrel distortion, sharpness artifacts, tonal range, linepairs per mm, etc...

Not really appealing to the masses I believe... ;D

I think has to be somewhere in-between...
    And I really like the whole idea of including actual users...

Maybe creating a test setup and procedure. Like with a tripod and a remote trigger, equal light conditions, comparing modes like HDR vs. bracketing and blending in third-party apps or to previous models and other phones if at hand...
    something like that...?

NeVeR_SeTTLe and iNtEnSePL like this.
  8. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I'm not talking camera test only :)

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Bouncer71 and YRJ like this.
  9. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 9, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I actually prefer the second lab photo as it is more homespun, inventive, recognizable and shows a more crude yet curious look.
    Whereas the first lab pic is, while being more sophisticated and professional, still merely just sterile and common place.

In fact, I'd say the results of whatever comes out of that second experiment will probably be vastly more suprising and unanticipated than the first one, which will be just what was expected from the beginning. The same old same old.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

SJBoss, YRJ, B_Wrath and 2 others like this.
  10. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I hope you can read between words. I too like chocolate ice cream even if it's one of most popular flavors.

SJBoss, YRJ, Bouncer71 and 2 others like this.
  11. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 9, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Isn't that what I just did?:rolleyes:

SJBoss, YRJ, iNtEnSePL and 2 others like this.
  12. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    of course..!
    There could also be test procedures for gaming, OS, etc...
    Don't think an actual Laboratory is needed for that...

I must admit I have no idea if there are real Labs for testing gaming or OS performance ... ;D

YRJ, NeVeR_SeTTLe and iNtEnSePL like this.
  13. iNtEnSePL KitKat Jan 9, 2019

iNtEnSePL, Jan 9, 2019 :
    I can't agree on that. that kills invention. I rather thought of unguided approach, but exceeding what is done in regular reviews by like 100% or more. Can't describe it though.

YRJ, Bouncer71 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  14. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Isn't it the reason why we have beta testers? :p

Bouncer71 likes this.
  15. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    An completely unguided approach will just be " I test what I want"...

Maybe there should be a poll what a review has to include...? ;D

Sure...
    But that's Beta.. ;D

Oh. now I get it...
    Yes, there also should be free phones for selected Beta tester. They're doing all the work so we can have a great experience... 8D

iNtEnSePL and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  16. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

I couldn't agree with you more ;)

iNtEnSePL, YRJ and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. YRJ KitKat Jan 9, 2019

YRJ, Jan 9, 2019 :
    By any chance are you a Closed beta tester for any OnePlus device? :rolleyes:

Jk! Hahah! XD

iNtEnSePL, Bouncer71 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  18. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 9, 2019

He wouldn't tell you even if he is one :p

iNtEnSePL, Bouncer71 and YRJ like this.
  19. Bouncer71 KitKat Jan 9, 2019

Bouncer71, Jan 9, 2019 :
    nope...?!

I'm not even through testing my OP3 stable... 8D
    I wouldn't be good for beta testing...
    Very limited usage of the phone...

But I did beta test the community app... ;D

iNtEnSePL, NeVeR_SeTTLe and YRJ like this.
  20. danimalroar Gingerbread Jan 9, 2019

danimalroar, Jan 9, 2019 :
    1. What do you think about using a poll to decide the finalists? The OnePlus team will do the preliminary selection first to ensure the quality of entries.
      I am fine with a controlled poll
    2. If we decide to run a poll, what would you personally see as ‘cheating’ behavior? If candidates call on their friends or relatives to vote for them, is that acceptable?
      I don't want to see people coming in just to vote on the poll as some sort of popularity contest. Perhaps the poll should require a response as to the reason for their choice. That could weed out some, but likely not all, of those who would create an account expressly to vote. You could also limit the poll and send it by email to confirmed OP phone owners with a tracker to stop multiple responses and forwarding. This would limit the cheating behavior, but could also exclude potential buyers from weighing in.
    3. What criteria should the team use in our initial selection?
      Emphasize previous activity and phone ownership rather than lifetime reviewers. I want to hear from people who use the phone as their sole device as well as those who run all the technical tests and then move on to other devices
    4. What questions should we ask in the application form? Normally, we ask people to write a review their favorite electronic gadgets and upload several examples of their own photography.
      That is a good start but limit the favorite gadget to smartphones.
    5. Do you have any other suggestions for ’The Lab’?
      Keep it in the community rather than looking for influencers. Market Reach should not be an aspect considered for applicants.

theshinybeast likes this.