[The Lab] DorgHardkins' OnePlus 6 Review

1. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

Dorgbot , May 22, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Hello OnePlus Community! Like several other users, I’ve been given the opportunity to get my hands on the OnePlus 6 a little early. I’ll be spending the next few days going over the latest and greatest from OnePlus as ‘The Lab’ OnePlus 6 reviewer. Feel free to ask any questions below and I will try my best to respond.

Day 1: Unboxing
    Day 2: Design
    Day 3: Speed
    Day 4: Camera
    Day 5: Oxygen OS
    Day 6: Conclusion

Day 1: Unboxing
    I know we’ve all seen unboxing posts before, but there’s something extremely satisfying about opening a new piece of gear that will never gets old, whether we’re watching it happen, or doing the unboxing ourselves. As always, OnePlus did a fine job with the packaging that OnePlus users are accustomed to.

The video below will give you an overview of the packaging, a quick glimpse of the product, as well as the three cases that came with the reviewer addition. We’ll examine the detail that OnePlus puts into their packaging and how it showcases their flagship phones. You know you’ve purchased a high-quality device before you even remove it from the box.

So, come along with me and let’s take a few minutes and unbox the OnePlus 6. If you’re new to the OnePlus Community or a seasoned regular I know you’ll appreciate this and the effort that OnePlus puts into the packaging and how they present their flagship products.

Last edited: May 24, 2018

2. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dorgbot , May 24, 2018 :
    Day 2: Design

[​IMG]

Elements of a design can make our break the overall feeling of a device. Coming from several phones
    from OnePlus, I can say without a doubt they’ve been taking it to the next level with each iteration of
    their flagship.

Let’s start with the “gorilla in the room”. The notch! This has been a hotly debated topic since the start. I
    had my own opinion about them and wasn’t interested in even entertaining the idea of owning a phone
    with one. After spending time with the 6 though, and its thoughtful physical attributes, the notch really
    ends up just melding in to the display. You start paying less attention to the notch and appreciating the
    extra screen space. OnePlus made the right move by making sure it was a small as possible. The notch
    really isn’t a reason to pass up the OnePlus 6.

Materials:
    The OnePlus 6 is crafted out of glass and metal donning a 6.28” Optic AMOLED display. The first thing I
    noticed when I unboxed the phone was the weight. This gives the 6 a premium feel. It’s not too heavy
    and is well balanced. This phone feels good in the hand. So good, that if I wasn’t afraid of dropping it, I
    wouldn’t even put a case on it.

As I inspected the other elements, another thoughtful addition to the OnePlus 6 design are the buttons
    and the alert slider. They blend in, yet you have that nice clicky response. To me, another signature of a
    top shelf product. As I continued around the 6, there’s the dual cameras out back oriented vertically this
    time. The camera bump is very minimal. You’ve got the flash, and finger print reader and then the
    OnePlus logo all in line. I like that the logo is under the glass making it look sharp.

I received the mirror black version of the OnePlus 6. The glossy piano finish protected by Gorilla Glass is
    a thing of absolute beauty. But only if you can keep your hands off it. Which for me, has been
    impossible! It’s a magnet for finger prints, lint and dust. So, polish it up, show it off and then put it
    straight back in your case.

As we make our way to the front of the device, the 6.28” Optic AMOLED display armored with Gorilla
    Glass pushes out from side to side and is practically bezel-less. Same goes for the top, except for the
    minimally designed notch holding the front facing camera, ear piece grille and additional sensors. We do
    have a bit of a chin on the 6 and initially I thought this would bother me. But overall, like the notch, ends
    up just blending in and becomes a non-factor.

Conclusion:
    The OnePlus 6 combines premium materials and a thoughtful and fluid eye catching design that I think
    everyone can appreciate. The fit and finish is what I expected from OnePlus and they did not disappoint
    in this department at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2018

aris, meatandy, jlasensiofi and 6 others like this.
  3. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 25, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dorgbot , May 25, 2018 :
    Day3: Let’s talk SPEED!

OnePlus users have always been spoiled when it comes to speed and performance. Whether it’s the latest Qualcomm chips coupled with high performing GPUs or a massive amount of RAM. And let’s not forget about the quick fingerprint sensor and face unlock. The One Plus 6 isn’t just fast. It’s Lightning FAST!

People put a lot of stock in to benchmarks. But, let’s face it. Benchmarks aren’t the end all be all sort of scenario we’re looking at here. I’ve never put TOO much mind share into benchmarks myself. If my phone is fluid, works as intended along with the functions promised; I’m good! However, I went ahead and downloaded AnTuTu Benchmark v7.0.8 from the Playstore just to see where the OnePlus 6 placed on the list. I can go in to detail about the benchmarks, the scores, and how the score is calculated, etc. But who’s got time to read through all that? Instead, just look below. Hey, the 6 is FAST!

[​IMG]

The Chip
    The Snapdragon 845 includes an 8-core processor that clocks in at 2.8Ghz. The 845 isn’t JUST a CPU though. It’s a platform that provides The Speed You Need. This platform handles the LTE modem capable of a peak download @ 1.2Gbps, camera and Video Support allows you to capture stunning photos and 4K video @ 60fps. The Display Support provides an immersive 4K Ultra HD experience over the 6.28” Optic AMOLED panel, and DSP for machine learning. The Adreno 630 Visual Processing Subsystem is there too, pushing games and other graphical applications to the next level. To round out the platform, you’ve got the Memory Support giving us access to the either 6GB or 8GB of LPDDR4X RAM and finally, Security Support. Now you know why your fingerprint reader and face unlock is so damn fast! The OnePlus 6 has the latest Qualcomm chipset, and it is a rocket! Kinda like the Space X Falcon Heavy!

[​IMG]

Real World
    So now what? I’ve just listed out a bunch of specs. These are impressive specs at that. So, how does this actually translate in regards to the user experience on a daily basis? What do the majority of us do on our phones? Countless apps fill our storage space. We take pictures, record video. We watch YouTube, stream Netflix, listen to music, chat with friends, family. Some people like to game, others like to keep their device near as stock as possible with barely any apps installed. Whichever type of user you are though, the OnePlus 6 will keep running smooth no matter how many apps you have open, regardless of the multitasking you throw at it. Below is a screen capture I recorded. I opened up a ton of apps on my OnePlus 6, I streamed a Youtube video and then navigated around the UI. After that, I played some Need For Speed, which put the GPU to work while those apps were all still open. Curious to see the real world result? Watch below!

aris, meatandy, jlasensiofi and 5 others like this.
  4. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 31, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dorgbot , May 31, 2018 :
    DAY 4: Camera

So far, we’ve covered almost every aspect on the new OnePlus 6. But, what about the cameras? What can we expect? How does this new optical set up compare to previous OnePlus devices? I’ve owned and used three previous OnePlus phones in the past and I can say with certainty that they’ve really hit a home run with the 6.

Now, I am not much of a photographer. You won’t find me squaring up shots with precision or spending a lot of time in Pro Mode. However, I still take A LOT of pictures and I want to capture those moments as crisp and accurately as possible.

The OnePlus 6 is sporting the following hardware: The rear, or main shooter is rocking a 16-megapixel sensor at an aperture of f/1.7. Does this sensor have OIS and EIS? Yes, both! I find the optic image stabilization extremely appealing across the board. Especially in low light situations. OIS has made taking pictures an absolute joy. The rear secondary camera is a 20-megapixel sensor at again, f/1.7 aperture. This is not a telephoto lens and it may be there to help portrait mode do its thing.

Can the OnePlus 6 really capture excellent photos? Absolutely! And I will show you in just a moment. But first, besides taking a selfie, let’s not forget that this device can also capture video in a plethora of different modes. Crisp 4K at 60 fps looks more than life like. And if for some reason that’s too much for your senses, you can shoot at 1080p good for 30 or 60fps or 720p at 30fps. I had fun shooting in super slow mode. The 1080p @ 240fps is whoa… but, the 480fps, even @ 720p is awesome to watch. To round off your options, you’ve got time-lapse and a built-in video editor.

So, what’s it all look like? Well, I spent Memorial Day weekend up in the mountains and had some fun with the OnePlus 6. Below, I’ve posted some of my favorite photos and videos from my trip. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018

Alvie, G_plusone, meatandy and 2 others like this.
  5. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 1, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dorgbot , Jun 1, 2018 :
    DAY 5: Oxygen OS

Coming from the days of the OnePlus One and Cyanogenmod, and on to their own creation, Oxygen OS; I’ve always appreciated the fact that OnePlus always wanted to provide users with a clean and fast performing OS.

[​IMG]

I’ve owned several Android phones over the years. From Nexus phones running pure Android, to the likes of Samsung and HTC. What I will say about Oxygen OS is it has an excellent balance between as pure Android as you can get without pure Android with a slight twist. OnePlus users get updates frequently. Whether it be system tweaks or security patches. Users normally don’t have to wait TOO long to get the latest Android release either. For those of us who just can’t wait, OnePlus now has their Beta Program, which I’ve always dived right into from the start. As an added addition to Oxygen OS 5.1.3, we now get seamless updates. What does this mean? Well, once you download the update, it installs immediately. All you need to do after that is reboot your phone for the new update to take effect. How awesome is that??

Thanks to the light and fluffy OS that OnePlus meticulously maintains, along with the excellent hardware. The overall performance is buttery smooth. Coming from multiple OnePlus devices in the past, I can tell you from experience that this performance continues over time as well. You can run the phone through its paces and the OS stays on course.

Rarely does the phone stumble or stutter. But, let’s also be realistic here. We’re talking about software and sometimes you need to start fresh. Wiping the phone and getting up and running is a breeze, and if you’re coming from an older OnePlus device or another phone, OnePlus Switch is an awesome app that will make things even EASIER. An added bonus? Switch can backup your device as well giving you another optional restore point.

[​IMG]

Overall, Oxygen OS provides great performance, and like I mentioned above, with a twist. Being able to tweak your device settings really personalizes everything. Some of my favorite settings is on screen gestures because I want ALL the screen space. The app locker is cool and protects apps that have access to sensitive data. And rounding out some of the cooler settings is being able to apply a theme and accent color. Now if we can get the color accent wheel, I’ll be able to set that to red giving me that cool Black/red theme I’ve been wanting!

[​IMG]

G_plusone, EddyGuijarroM and meatandy like this.
  6. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 1, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dorgbot , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Day 6: Conclusion

[​IMG]

First off, I'd like to thank OnePlus for giving me the opportunity to get my hands on the 6 a little early. This has been a fun process and now that I've accomplished what I set out to do, I can just sit back and really enjoy the phone.

I’ve been a fan of OnePlus since they launched the One back in 2014. After owning four of their devices, I can say that not only is the 6 their BEST phone yet, but OnePlus continues to make great progress and overall improvements while maintaining communication with the community and listening to our feedback. Their product and company reflect this.

The OnePlus 6 is daily driver material. I’ve been critical of OnePlus in the past. I understand to keep control of the price point, they must leave out some features. A lot of the times, those features weren’t enough stop me from purchasing their devices. However, it left a void.

This is the first OnePlus devices where I feel, that FINALLY! I have an all in one, perfect phone for my daily use. The balance between hardware, price and the cameras made it a reality. Especially having OIS.

At this moment, and after continual use of the One Plus 6, I currently do not have any complaints thus far. Will something surface? An issue? A tick? It’s possible. After all, we are talking about electronics here. But for now, this device in a pleasure to use. From the premium build quality and weight to the incredible performance.

The Software and OS is a homerun in my book too. We continue to see frequent updates as OnePlus strives to deliver this in a timely fashion. It’s also noted that OnePlus 6 users already have access to Android P Beta which I plan to dive right into tonight.

So, here we are. At the end of the road. I hope you enjoyed our time together and that my review gave you some insight into the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus in general. I do recommend the OnePlus 6. That’s the beauty of this. OnePlus makes it an easy decision. Flagship phones are nearing $1,000 and more these days. OnePlus is proving that they can keep up with these other manufacturers at a much lower price point while maintaining a great ecosystem and product.

So, come join us! You won’t be disappointed.

Thanks!

-DorgHardkins

Alvie, G_plusone, Djordje D and 2 others like this.
  7. GuitarBart
    Jelly Bean May 22, 2018

GuitarBart , May 22, 2018 :
    Nice to see all these different takes on the lab unboxing :) seems like a very nice package that was sent out to the lab reviewers

Dorgbot likes this.
  8. parsa5
    Jelly Bean May 23, 2018

asmadyahya and Dorgbot like this.
  9. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Dorgbot , May 23, 2018 :
    Haha! What up man! He told me he isn't, but I know deep down he is. And I get it.

parsa5 likes this.
  10. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

Dorgbot likes this.
  11. Joel B
    Honeycomb May 25, 2018

Joel B , May 25, 2018 :
    man, I wish there was an option to buy a version of that lab review package (officially from oneplus), seems like a beautiful box :p

Dorgbot and Punk_69 like this.
  12. DARTH 007
    KitKat May 25, 2018

DARTH 007 , May 25, 2018 :
    your day 3 review was an un tested one.
    why don't you load up 30 games inside and play them.you will find out that slogan of speed u need doesn't hold good.
    any of the games refresh after sometime staying in the ram.u haven't tested that.
    try playing injustice 2 or marvel heroes or WWE immortals or mortal combat and talk about the frame drops.
    that would actually show the power of the phone.
    normal apps.are.running good even on the op3...so nothing great.

G_plusone and Dorgbot like this.
  13. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 25, 2018

Dorgbot , May 25, 2018 :
    I personally don't game all that much. The purpose of this was to show good overall performance under moderate usage. There will always be a limit to what any hardware can churn out no matter what. I appreciate your comments though. Thanks for participating!

meatandy and G_plusone like this.
  14. jyoti1234
    Cupcake May 26, 2018

Dorgbot likes this.
  15. meatandy
    Oreo Jun 2, 2018

meatandy , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Thank you for such a nice and easy reading review
    I appreciated that.

Dorgbot likes this.
  16. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 2, 2018

Dorgbot , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. =]

meatandy likes this.
  17. aris
    Jelly Bean Jun 3, 2018

G_plusone and Dorgbot like this.
  18. Maddy1321
    Donut Jun 5, 2018

Dorgbot likes this.
  19. Dorgbot
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 6, 2018

20. BRAD FORD BOI
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2018

BRAD FORD BOI , Jun 6, 2018 :
    is someone else too facing the problem of slow and unsmooth boot animation during bootup? I mean it doesn't affect the phone in any way but I don't want it to be slow on my op6 otherwise lightning fast phone. If someone has found a solution, please share it