• Day 1 Unboxing
    • Day 2 Design
    • Day 3 Speed
    • Day 4 Camera
    • Day 5 Oxygen OS
    • Day 6 Conclusion

Hi, friends
    Sorry I had to :)
    So, yesterday (Monday 21st) morning I received what seemed to be an interesting package after not a good dose of trouble.

I was supposed to receive the package the 22nd, but Barcelona and DHL has some issues with flights and DHL was working both Saturday and Monday, therefore, they tried to deliver to my work office on Saturday, instead of my home, so after calling DHL and clarifying a new address and delivery day, I got the package a day early, yay!

Returning to the box though...

[​IMG]

The box contained the following items:
    1. OnePlus 6
    2. Nylon Case
    3. Carbon Fiber Case
    4. Red Rubber Case
    5. A secret item :eek:
    Let's start with the basics then... The OnePlus 6 comes packaged inside what seems to be the brand's final iteration on boxing design. Unlike OPO and OP2 that came with a different box design, the device comes wrapped in a nicely sturdy feeling white box, with the engraved motto of the device plus a pressed number 6 on the top.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 default packaging

Obviously, you know how this goes, lift up, get a nice full view of the front of the device, without any stickers or annoying unnecessary things in the middle, just you, and the device.

[​IMG]
    Revealed device amazingness woah woah

I'm going to spare you the details about a charger, a sim card tray tool and we all know about the free included silicon translucent case.

Continuing on, you cannot miss the three OnePlus branded cases provided with the box.

I'm going to talk to you about them in my order of preference.

The Nylon bumper case.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it comes neatly packaged in a "the box" ;) of it's own. The OnePlus 6 text is part of the packaging and not the cover itself.

When I saw this one I knew it would be the one I would put on my device. It's just different, it has texture and it's cool looking to the max.

I don't think you really understand how cool this is. So I'm gonna make us all a solid and just put another picture here...

[​IMG]
    Click to zoom, really, it deserves so.

The Carbon fiber bumper case

[​IMG]

What to say? I bet you all have a good feeling about this one. It's masculine, it looks quite badass and may be one of the most attractive textures to most car enthusiasts :p

You ask for it, you get it, if something is for sure in here is that OnePlus will provide one of these for every device they launch, and I bet you all love it to ask for more.

Red silicone case

[​IMG]
    This was SO red that the camera didn't even know where to focus!

This one has to be the grippiest one of them all. Definitively for you if you are one of those with slippery hands, rubbery and with a bold red color will for sure make your device be visible from afar.

Cases extra detail

[​IMG]
    No it's not scratched on the bottom, it's just some dirt from having it face down.

I cannot leave this "cases" section without mentioning the attention to the device OnePlus has put on them, they not only fit perfectly but also come with an alcantara finish on the inside, so your glass device does not get scratched or messy with the usage.

And here we are friends, this seems to be all about the unboxing of the latest and greatest from OnePlus.

Hope it has been decent enough for you guys. And I'm quite sorry on the low quality of the pictures, it was not a particularly sunny day and my DSLR had no battery, plus I was rushing to go out and test the camera for you guys. There's quite interesting shots to come, on the camera review, don't worry!

One more thing tho...

I'm not telling about the secret item!

Last edited: May 22, 2018

2. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, May 23, 2018 :
    Album link for all images (even more that are not posted)

[​IMG]

DAY 2. Design

Today's the turn about the overall design of the device, you've all seen it, pictures, review videos online, other LAB reviewers etc, it's no secret, but I'm still gonna describe a bit of what we all know, maybe things I noticed that you might have missed.

I will continue regarding the accessories that were included and will finalize with what I think has been nailed and what could be improved on future iterations.

So, let's dive into it.

Phone design.

[​IMG]
    Shape wise the phone has not been a surprise, following the same nice forms OnePlus acquired on the 5/5t series they refined on some areas that were needed, left the ones that were good from the get go.

The curvature on the back is comfortable and the sides are round enough to not feel like a brick in your hands, yet still keeps a nice edge so it's not as boring as an iPhone (which you guys should already know, I hate that form to my core)

The most noticeable change has been the notch.
    It is there, deal with it.

[​IMG]
    Displayed: A sexy picture huh?

I personally do not dislike it. As some of you might know already, I have told @Carl that OnePlus should really think if they wanted the notch for real. Some people criticized it from the start, others didn't mind it (like me) and others love it. And that it was something that could come and bite their ***.

Obviously, back when I met him, OnePlus 6 was set and done, we are talking a few months back only. It's not like they could've went back to the drawing board.

As said, I don't quite mind it. It has not been an issue so far. But I'll talk about it and it's options in more detail in the OxygenOS review day.

Following the notch we also salute to the position of the camera we loved so much since OPO era, centered on the device. Less chances to mess it up with your fingers while holding the phone in landscape mode.

[​IMG]

This time the camera still has some protuberance, but it's quite minor in comparison with recent years...

The fingerprint sensor is quite discrete and matches with the idea of rectangular shapes, just like the phone itself. It's quite flush with the body and I'm still not used to finding it on the back of the phone, lucky me, the cases help quite a lot. (More on that later)

Phone material

GLASS. Me likes.

I've always said that the most "premium" material for a device would be some kind of ceramic or glass (and you can actually find post of mine talking about it in this very forums), metal unibodies are boring and potentially ugly, glass gives a nice feeling to the touch, it can be shiny, it can be tinted, it can be played with different "backgrounds". I quite love the matte version of the OnePlus 6. If I had the choice I possibly would've went for that one, if not the white.

My OnePlus 6 came with the Mirror Black variant, which means, the phone is shinny all around. Not only the back of it, but even the edges of the device are. It's somehow hard to describe, it's super reflective yet really dark too. It just seems to depend on how the light hits it, and which kind of light it is.

[​IMG]

Accessories design.

OnePlus has always cared about their accessory lineup, this time it's the same, yesterday I already mentioned about the cases, but there's some things I would like to point out today, since it's the design focussed review, better to place it here than on yesterday's review.

[​IMG]

The cutout for the charger and the headphone jack match perfectly with the cable provided with the device. It's a perfect fit, these kind of detail can be missed by other bumper cases or third party accessories, but OnePlus has got you covered there.

It's not like it's a feat of engineering, but it's the right amount of attention to detail.

On thicker cases (like the Nylon one) you can see that OnePlus has even taken care of having a nice smooth pendant to the fingerprint, so it's not an abrupt end of the case and you have to practically place your finger vertically against it.

[​IMG]
    The array of variety on them

It's quite nice to know there's some official bumper cases with some nice materials, I'm quite sure sooner or later OnePlus will also release a sandstone one. It has to right?

Some of you might've wanted to see how other cases look on the phone, say no more, I think I've got the fan favorite in here for you guys, so, enjoy:

[​IMG]

Details to note

Things to note regarding the design are the positioning of the headphone jack, next to the USB-C port, so, cables won't get twisted ig you still use wired earphones.

The Do not Disturb switch has been moved to the right, that feels quite nice, since most people is mainly right handed, so, you can toggle the switch with your thumb.

What I personally dislike
    • The camera bump. Not because it's a bump but because I don't quite like the round shape of the top and bottom of it. The phone has no circular design anywhere, and yet that is there. I think a more rectangular approach would have looked nice/er and keep still the same lines.
    • Another thing, related to the bump, is that it seems it's also chrome / gold plated / whatever. I don't quite like the bump being highlighted by the design. For example, the white one, has the whole camera surrounded by gold. I would have avoided that completely.
    • The rounded corners of the screen, I just loved how edgy the screen on the OnePlus 5t was, and I would've liked that on the 6 too. I understand you need quite wide corners to fill the complete space of the phone, but I would've not minded something closer to the 5t.
    What was nailed
    • The notch itself. If you are gonna have a notch, make it small, and make it blend with the design. OnePlus notch does not end in 90º corners like the iPhone X does.
    • The material and its variants

Last edited: May 24, 2018

3. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, May 24, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 3. Speed

Overall feeling

So most of you guys already know I came to the OnePlus 6 from an OnePlus 2. And not only that, but I was also running custom roms on it, so, stability was never the strenght on that device...

Coming to the 6 I can really appreciate how much faster OnePlus devices have become from the OP2 era.

The device boots up in no time, gets through quite decent workloads with next to no hassle at all and gulps app installs as if nothing.

Lets get into some detail regarding some key points.

Fingerprint

This is just blazing fast, I do not know if this device is faster than the already amazingly fast 5t, but this thing unlocks with no time at all.

I'm impressed with the speed of the face unlock, but fingerprint beats that one as if nothing.

Other device's fingerprint unlock are quite fast but comparing with the Note8 I have requested to compare things with the 6, rest assured, the 6 speed impressed the Note 8's owner. And that's quite a feat, Note series are usually the better end of Samsung devices...

Face Unlock

As I mentioned, face unlock is fast, but lets see that in action shall we?

[​IMG]
    Notice I'm still rotating the phone but it's unlocked already!

I was quite amazed when I tested it on a friend's 5t but man, experiencing it every time I unlock the device is just amazing.

I hardly see the lockscreen at all, it works even with the phone tilted on weird angles, sometimes I just try to look at the notifications in there and BAM! inside.

Camera

This is an area I'm quite happy with (not talking about the quality of the camera per se right now) but the speed of it. Changind modes is responsive and quite reactive, not only that, the UI is well made so it's even fast for the user to switch modes.

You even have the option to long press the app icon and get quick actions in there too, for those who want to get into recording mode from the start.

Navigation response (app launch, scroll, navigation)

For those who do not know, OnePlus has implemented an "app launch detection" so the cores in the SoC go at full power for the time the app is loading, therefore, we get quite seamless transition from the drawer to an app. I'm quite proud to say I have every last message in Whatsapp for the past 5 years stored on every device I use. I do not archive chats, I do not delete stuff, I keep everything.

"What do I care?" you might say... Well, I do, because doing so has made Whatsapp launch, or entering a particular active chat quite a nightmare on some devices so far. I'm not talking waiting half a minute, but launching Whatsapp in less than 5 seconds was not a thing every other day already.

The device handles this (and any other) with smooth transitions and animations, fast, and without any kind of struggle.

Scrolling is super responsive and smooth and I have personally not seen any Jelly Effect as prior OnePlus devices had, maybe I would've never been able to see it, but so far, I've noticed nothing.

Regarding app navigation (home, recents, back...) I knew for a while that we would have gesture navigation, so, it was one of the first things I had set up for the phone. Swiping up from the left or right of the screen gets detected easily and responded with the same ease. We could dive more into that now, but I would rather save it for OxygenOS review day. I've always liked pie navigation implementations, this is the same, but without any UI on it. It works, you either like it or not, I'm used to it, was using similar approaches on my 2012 Nexus 4 already, so, I'm quite glad to be able to navigate like that.

Battery charge

This is another area I didn't had much experience prior to coming to the 6, my only device with a fast charging tech was the Samsung s6 edge, it's decently fast, but obviously OnePlus beats it by a mile.

Last time I did a quick charge this thing gave me 21% battery in the time I was getting ready to exit the office. I still had quite a bunch of battery, but man... I guess it wasn't even 10 minutes and it was already 21% up... I should've checked the times, but I was impressed.

Network speed

Here I did notice some nice improvements. I have a commute to work that requires train usage, with my past phones I lost cell data quite often, it took quite a long time for my prior devices to restore cell data.

It may be placebo effect but I seem to notice quite a better signal on this device, it reconnects fast and seems to hold the connection for longer when entering troublesome areas.

I guess it's not only the speed it's capable of handling, but also how the antennas and the body is designed.

Benchmarks

[​IMG]

I've never really been big into benchmarks, but will go ahead and post some results here, if you are interested on knowing more, maybe would be better to see other LAB reviewers, as I'm really not interested on this synthetic approaches to "power and speed".

Antutu Benchmark results:
    Here
    Here
    Here - Got 1st

3d Mark results:
    Here
    Here
    Here

Games

I'm not much into mobile games, i like minimalist games in Android, things like Lara Croft GO (which I recommend to every single one of you), Monument Valley or emulating PSX titles.

I think the results on the 3d Mark benchmark already shows quite a lof regarding the performance you can expect while gaming, but so far, all I've run has had quite a steady and sturdy result.

[​IMG]
    This never dropped lower than 59fps

Granted the games I have are not the most GPU / CPU intensive but still, they had some issues when throttling on other devices, particularly I see a HUGE step from the OnePlus 2.

varma246, Martin_VN, woSch and 26 others like this.
  4. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, May 28, 2018 :
    Camera Review

So, I'm splitting this part into 2, I will basically go over the camera features and put some demos, explain what I like what I don't like and on the next post I'll basically put some comparative shots between the OnePlus 6 vs Note8 and OnePlus 6 vs OnePlus 5t.

All of my shots are done in Auto HDR (or default settings in other devices) sice that's the most common scenario.

It is IMPORTANT that you look the samples and photos on a COMPUTER screen or TV. On the phone nothing from what I'll talk about will be able to show up or be appreciated. So, please, go to a proper screen.

As said in the performance review the camera app responds fast, has a clean and easy to use interface and there's close to no lag on shutter press to actual shot.

The camera has the following options on each setting

Photo
    Basic yet usual features on any camera, the options so far are: Auto HDR, No HDR, HDR.

Samples and opinions
    [ Album ] https://imgur.com/a/KsqU1l0

Good Lighting

[​IMG]
    Good detail on the stone. Trees have not been reduced to a smudge and exposure kept a nice amount of color and detail

[​IMG]
    Here you can see an 8x zoom of the top captured from the camera.

[​IMG]
    Again, a nice exposure, not a great loss of detail (notice the foliage of the trees)

[​IMG]
    This shot seems a bit dark but if you stop to notice, everything was exposed nicely, you have something that you can edit and bring up the dark areas without having an over exposed sky. I love this shot too.
    Be sure to check out the full album, I have some shots against the run and against the sun exposing for an object (street lights) that will show you a good amount of detail preserved for such situations.

Low Light

[​IMG]
    I'm actually quite impressed with the performance on low light. Details got well preserved and balance of color is quite nice.

[​IMG]
    The far end of this place is well inside a not so much lit area. Quite a nice result.​

Note: I'm writing this before actually comparing results with the Note 8 on a computer screen, my opinion at this point is 100% based on the result of the camera and some comparative shots I've done with the OnePlus 5t.

Overall I'm quite happy with the results of photos. OnePlus has taken care of the Oil Painting effect that was present on the 5t on every other shot.

Low light performance has quite surprised me, keeping a nice balance of noise, detail and detail. More of this will be made clear with the comparative of the 5t and the 6 during the next review post.

Portrait
    Allows for no effect or beauty mode, as well as different filter to highlight the lights on the background as circles, stars or hearts

Samples

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video
    Video resolutions are the following 720p, 1080p, 1080p 60fps, 4k, 4k 60fps. All modes are stabilized by EIS except the 60fps ones.

Note: This videos were recorded on top of an electric scooter, not walking on the street. Handheld unless otherwise specified.

[ 4k 30fps ]
    [ 4k 60fps ]
    [ 4k 60fps + Osmo ]
    [ 4k 60fps ]

This last video is recorded with the DJI Osmo Mobile too, but I panned around a bit and put the camera against the sun and trees to get a good example on how the detail will be preserved.
    [ 4k 60fps + Osmo ]

Overall video quality seems to be quite good, it captured enough detail and the camera provides a decent dynamic range.

Both OIS and EIS perform quite well. OIS allows for a decent stabilization and EIS seems to be the one with best results, as you can stabilize as much as you want via SW. This should particularly be noticeable while walking or running with the phone being handheld.

4k 60fps is quite dark and unless there's enough light you won't be able to get decent results. Not noticeable in videos above but if I tried to record inside a room with only that light, it would be quite dark. To be expected from a 60fps video at 4k though.

Sadly, the camera also has quite an issue with video recording and hunting focus, it's something OnePlus already knows about and is said to solve in a future update. It appears from time to time and not on each single video, when ti does, it's quite annoying.

Here's an example of it.
    [ Focusing hunting demo ] https://youtu.be/6Xrk6R1y-hQ

Slow motion
    Slow motion gives us 2 options, either 720p at 480fps or 1080p at 240fps.

Samples and opinions
    [ 1080p 480fps Sample 1 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3OqnwYf30
    1080p 240fps OIS - Open in maximum quality

I feel this lacks definition, video might be 1080p but it looks blurry. Granted, there was low light and the flash had to be enabled. But a 1080p photo would've been 10x better than any frame of this video.

[ 1080p 240fps Sample 2 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYbz-zu3X0

As you can see in this one, the quality is pretty bad actually, video is way too pixelated and makes me wonder why is there so low quality considering the light for recording was perfect.

[ 1080p 240fps Sample 3 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1pRXwp-V8

This sample might be the one with the most detail but still you can notice a lot of pixelation and lack of definition.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 1 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ3PQ3B9xc
    720p 480fps OIS - Open in maximum quality

480fps can deffinetly show quite the fast movement, it can be mesmerizing to watch stuff go in slow motion, I'm really sad quality is still so low.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 2 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmOUnePyr1Y

Action starts at about 1minute and 20 seconds in.
    You can see a strobbing effect due to the lights, it's not the camera itself. Sadly, somehow, the video also got stuck a few times.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 3 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOyBUWGVe4

This one might the best recorded at 720p, you can see the blade moving inside the shielding of the razer.​

Sadly, I'm quite disappointed with the slow motion so far. It just fails to get any kind of detail and pixelates way too much for my taste.

It is nice having slow motion feature but the result is pretty bad once you see it on a computer screen with the real size of the video.

Time Lapse
    Allows for recording at 720p and 1080p

Note: My samples are done with DJI Camera so, I've got timelapses in 4k and with movement. So your results will be quite different, since the camera does not move by itself :p

Focus was fixed on all videos to not generate a result with "all over the place" results

You still get an idea of the camera capabilities

[ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqx3kPAmC-4
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0p99Pt_bhc
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wg3wgF1ejQ
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5b13_PQEuI

Panorama
    This mode basically shows a preview of your currently captured panorama as you produce it.

No demos for you guys yet :(

So, in resume:

The pros
    • Fast and responsive
    • Nice low light performance
    • No Oil Painting effect so far
    • Balanced exposure. Does not always expose what you might want, but can be corrected by either tapping it or post-processing the image

The cons
    • Slow motion doesn't really look that good
    • Video has focus hunting issues (to be solved on next updates as per OnePlus note)
    • Balanced exposure. Does not always expose what you might want, but can be corrected by either tapping it or post-processing the image
    • Does not save RAW on automatic modes
    • Auto mode does not provide a level as in manual mode

Last edited: May 28, 2018

varma246, AcmE85, Martin_VN and 24 others like this.
  5. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 29, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, May 29, 2018 :
    So, as mentioned earlier, here's the Part 2 of the Camera review.

Basically, getting together comparative shots and my opinions on them.
    As always, full size images in the following album: https://imgur.com/a/1cLAqgU

I highly recommend you guys open the original images, these are 100% crops from non particularly a focussed area (not all of them are cut from the center of the picture)

Let's start then.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 against the OnePlus 6

[​IMG]
    So, in this one you can clearly appreciate that tones were quite better on the OnePlus 6.
    The amount of detail was well preserved in both shots, and OnePlus gets the edge by definition and color.

[​IMG]
    Is there anything to say in this one?
    Definition, color, amount of detail kept. OnePlus 6 takes the win clearly here.

[​IMG]
    Now, this one gets interesting, exposure seems better in the OnePlus 6, but on the Note 8 side we have quite a nice highlight of the detail (stone wall), it's there on the OP6 shot too, but the tones of the colors make it less visible (all detail IS there though).
    So, in short, color and definition? The OnePlus 6 wins.
    To showcase what you were actually shooting? Maybe the Note 8 would be a better choice to upload to Instagram or Facebook.

[​IMG]
    Now, this is another clear winner for the OnePlus 6. Colors were a bit better well preserved, it was not particularly lit, and definition takes the win for a place with such a fine detail. Also, Note 8 did blow the sky (look at the originals) while OnePlus 6 managed to keep the sky well balanced together with the building itself. A clear well calculated range.

[​IMG]
    To me this is a clear win for the Note 8. Even when the sky was blown up (again, look the originals), without any kind of editing tool you see more detail on the bricks. The image was just better exposed to showcase the element itself, instead of a solid overall picture.
    Note again, that all detail seems to be there for the OnePlus 6, which is not a bad thing at all, it's just not, by default, brought up. I have no doubt that with a bit of edit, the OnePlus 6 would be better, but again, I'm a #noedit person.

[​IMG]
    This has no match again, somehow, even when OnePlus has a really good low light performance, this chapel showed that bigger sensor doesn't mean just better by default.
    Note 8 keeps more detail with less megapixels and maybe, due to sharpening, it takes the clear win. Exposure was clearly better to.

OnePlus 5t against OnePlus 6

Again, here you have the album with full images: https://imgur.com/a/pdXg9gd

[​IMG]
    Well... just the oil painting effect on the 5t speaks by itself right?
    Anyway, OnePlus 6, clear winner, kept resolution way better. Fine detail preserved too.

[​IMG]
    Low light. It's not so different you might say, right?
    Well, definition on every single line (from the ceiling to the light square cut outs) is way better. Particularly on the speaker.
    Also, a good thing to notice here... Left image is ISO 3200, right image is ISO 1000. that should say it all. Not to mention the led lighting was not blown up or caused any aberration on the OnePlus 6.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 (ISO 320) takes another clear win against the OnePlus 5t (ISO 640)
    Lights are way more defined on the OnePlus 6. Color is more natural and less saturated, detail on the ceiling is much better and could you just please look at that clock detail?! AMEN!

Conclusion regarding camera...

THIS is what you win with the OnePlus 6. If you thought the photos in the 5t were good, with the 6 you will think they are great.

I don't wanna enter on how a Samsung s9 could beat it or not, I have not even had the joy to play with an s9, or a Google Pixel. Of course some of those phones will take better snaps, but my main issue with OnePlus camera so far, it was not the color reproduction, it was not the features or the megapixels. It was the oil painting effect.
    So far. I'm quite pleased regarding photography quality, regardless if this is branded OnePlus or Google Pixel. I'm taking snaps out there I'm proud of.

Of course, video, and slow motion, is another world. Something OnePlus has to improve on certain areas, but I would say it's a solid option regarding photography. Maybe there's better out there at the same price range, I'm not MKBHD, did not test them all, still, for what is worth, I'm happy so far with it. I've always been a fan of megapixels, and others, having 12 or 13 out there, is something to take into account. You will at least, almost certainly, get more detail always.

6. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 1, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, Jun 1, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Oxygen OS

Most of us already know what Oxygen OS is, but for those who might from here from external sources, this is the name given to the Android implementation made by OnePlus.

It is quite light and simple, it allows basic stuff that we all did before with apps. Such as allowing a theme pack or adding small details from custom roms we all loved before.

Main features

Theme Accent colors

One of the good things about the OS is the fact that you are now given the chance to change the color of iconography and titles within other details in the Android UI. As you can see in the banner picture above, I'm all about orange on white.

Fullscreen apps

Since the OnePlus 6 has a nice little notch in there, OnePlus gives the option to make app fullscreen, for those of you who want to use the full potential of the big display. Some apps don't work that nice with it, so, watch out.

An example of this would be Whatsapp, when sending an image, if you draw stuff on top, the notch hides the "undo" button, so, be mindful on what you allow to be fullscreen and what not.

To give a positive example, VLC player set on fullscreen fit perfectly and allows for an amazing viewing experience.

Gaming Mode

This small little toggle, you can turn on from the notification tiles or automatically when launching a pre-white listed app list. Makes your notifications not be annoying while in gaming (or any other app you have set up). It can make your screen have a fix brightness and disables some background networking tasks that could lower your performance.

Reading Mode

Just as Gaming Mode you can do this for the app to set up a black and white scheme, that will make easier to read certain things. I've seen it applied to twitter, where you do not really need flashy colors and stuff, or definitely to whatever ebook reader of your choice. Chrome could be another decent option to add to the list.

Night Mode

This one toogle can be set to automatic, on or off. It basically changes your screen color temperature to ease the strain in your eyes. Quite nice to have such thing. I was a big fan of this in custom roms and I'm glad to have the option there in stock Oxygen OS.

Gestures

Who doesn't like gestures?

Screen gestures allow for quick actions such as accessing the camera or turning on the led or even controlling the music playback.

Oxygen OS also allows for navigation gestures, where you get to get rid of the navigation toolbar on the bottom of the screen, gaining even more screen real state for you to WOAH over the big 6.3" panel in front of you.

Bloat Apps?

Oxygen OS is quite lightweight, but OnePlus does add some applications in there by default, Notes app, Gallery and the community app among them. You can either cry about them or not, it's not so much of a bother as other OS fill your entire app drawer with their own implementation of everything. For those who are Google for lyf like me, that is annoying, while this is acceptable.

Screen Calibration

Another neat feature from the OS is the fact that you can chose among 3 default screen color calibrations plus customize your own. This is something many other brands are adding on their devices and something that should please anyone who finds their screen to be way too blue-ish or whatever other tone inclined their panel decides to be.

New Alert Slider

Finally, with OnePlus 6 we get the 3 modes we all wanted from so long ago. Pure silence, only vibration or normal sound. No more DND statuses, but true glory. DnD is not implemented as an automatic feature, even though you can set it up manually, OnePlus has confirm to be bringing automated DnD for future updates onwards.

Launcher

The launcher is quite simple, it follows Google's approach, swipe up and get apps, swpe from the left and go to the shelf (instead of the assistant) and long press for options, but there's a small detail, which is that it supports themes by default. So, icon packs galore.​

Things that are nice

• Most of the modes listed above

• Notification light can be customized and apps can be excluded from it

• Auto play music (if it was playing before) when a BT headset is connected (this works even without the wireless bullets)

Things that are lacking

Note: Some of this are personal opinion and does not really imply an issue

• Lack of USB video output options. This is something some of us have complained quite a lot lately in the forums, I've had discussions about this with @David Y. and it's something that is down to the software team to consider if even possible. I wish it was implemented.

• Automatically pop up if you want to transfer over MTP when connected to a computer. I mean... who would connect the phone to a computer not to move data around?

Things that fail / would change

Note: Some of this are personal opinion and does not really imply an issue

• Screen gestures seem to have some trouble when pocket mode is enabled, where the phone does not really know if it's in the pocket or not, double tap to wake does not always work with only 2 taps, but some more.

• Iconography on the settings apps is not really centered horizontally, that bothers me quite a lot, it's like that on AOSP too but I would love for OnePlus to fix that. Just look at the header image again. You can clearly see the icons are more to the left than they should be for a pleasing list.

• Navigation gestures sometimes seem to detect keyboard presses or movements like a gesture, so, I'm constantly going back to the home screen or hiding the keyboard as it detects it as a "back" press. I wish OnePlus takes care of that too.

• Sound seems inconsistent, as many report some things are quite low, others sound properly, but it's something I did not really notice much since I'm mostly in vibrate all day anyway.

• The notch takes away space for some icons, both in the status bar as well as the notification portion of it, but I've mostly had issues with the icons, you can clearly fit 2 or 3 more icons than the amount allowed by OnePlus right now.

• Audio Tuner... Now this is a let down. I'm currently using BT earphones, coming from LineageOS on my OP2 I had an equalizer that allowed me to use some presets, even though OnePlus offers an audio tuner, it only can be activated if using wired headsets... This needs to be addressed asap.

Please, let me know if you want some more information or detail on certain things, I'm quite happy with the current state of the OS, as it allows for most of the features I would have ended up using a third party application to accomplish.

Edit: I realize I have not talked about battery, I'll edit this soon with some screenshots and overall usage.

But in short, for those interested, I'm pushing averages of 1 full day with about 4h of Screen on Time per charge

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

varma246, Martin_VN, Wahoux and 11 others like this.
  7. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, Jun 4, 2018 :
    Conclusions

So, here's the end of the reviews I think... I might come back, edit stuff, and surely add more information (battery and panoramas possibly)...

I gotta admit the device is no less than expected, except regarding some of the items I went through already on other parts of the review.

Some people are criticizing the battery life and Screen On Time, but coming from the OP2, to me, the device is quite good and consistent. There's a few things that could've been done better, but most of them are based on Software and could be tackled in the future.

As an example I could point out, Instagram Stories look cut from the sides, as the app fills the screen based on the vertical space, and being a taller display, means cutting out a small portion of the sides.

Same happens with some games, like, Lara Croft Go, you don't lose a huge part of the screen, but enough for me to almost miss some of the relics places just in the edge.

I am mostly satisfied with the product, and I would possibly recommend it even. The few issues I might have with it are minor details and most of them are based on personal opinion and not something broken or not. So, it's not like my word is right by default on those (as much as I would like to have the word of a God)

Features, "bloat" and performance are well balanced, as of now, and I'm sure things can only go to better. OnePlus has been delivering quite often and quite good in these lasts months, and it's something that can be noticed. There's still road ahead for them but I don't feel like I'm holding an unfinished product.

I hope the lacking parts in the OS can be amended with time, and with SW updates, and not just on future devices, but back-ported to as many iterations behind as possible...
    Things like Video Output via USB support or Always On Display, which seems it was taken away due to massive battery drain.

So, as a product, not considering the price, would I recommend it? Yes, depends on the person and the needs to cover, but anyone that wants a powerhouse can be sure this device will deliver.
    Some other people would just get about "the same" with a device half the price of the OP6. But they would possibly not get the latest SoC or the greatest GPU performance.

As a purchase though, you gotta know where you are stepping into. OnePlus renews their lineup every 6 months (at least for the last couple of years), so, I do think the device is a bit expensive, yet again, every device seems to be now... I would not regret buying it (If I had done so), but I would really expect OnePlus to continue with a great support for the price paid.

Video needs to be fixed, both in focus hunting and in slow motion overall quality.
    Audio has its perks too.

Most of them are superficial issues that should be able to be fixed soon, and only OnePlus can show their commitment to your purchase regarding those.

If you want a clean OS, a fast device, a decent support it is possibly a decent to great purchase for you.
    If you do not care about most of this stuff, why would you buy something as expensive?

What I'm trying to say here is: this device will work for the masses, for those who just want a fast horse, for those who expect updates or those who just want a new form factor at a decent price. It is a balanced and safe purchase, not a 1000€ device, not an average 200€ one.

But there's others there, and in some areas, those might be better. It's a decision one has to take by himself.

I can only say, I would possibly not regret buying it, assuming support is constant and bugs are constantly addressed.

So, for those that know me, this device, and it's future development will be the one factor I'll consider when I want to upgrade again, so, if I ever want an OP8, whenever that is, I will go back to the experience from here onward, and so far, I'm happy with it.
    OnePlus has shown a more mature procedure and approach to things since my bad experience with the OnePlus 2, and that is the most important thing I see on the company. Things are no longer not taken into account, things are thought and done well, or not at all. No half assed work gets delivered.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

varma246, malidan, pa5t1s and 8 others like this.
  8. Pwrstroke04 Donut May 22, 2018

Pwrstroke04, May 22, 2018 :
    Not gonna lie, I'm pretty torn between purchasing the nylon and carbon fiber case. They both look so incredible!

9. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

Dunnow, May 22, 2018 :
    I like them both too, I think the carbon fiber one looks best when on the device, but the nylon is just different from the rest, and it has the texture going for it too, just for being different I already like it.

If you want a safe bet, get carbon fiber, you can't go wrong with it... but if you wanna try it and be like f it, let's jump, go for the nylon, both will serve their purpose, it's a bumper case, but... why not go with style? :p

Lucky me, I can just swap them whenever I want tho, I've got that luxury now :3

10. Android450 Marshmallow May 22, 2018

GopalB., pa5t1s, superplus and 11 others like this.
  11. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

bart877ie, GopalB., pa5t1s and 10 others like this.
  12. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Dunnow, May 23, 2018 :
    until performance and camera there won't be much meat tho, will see then how it has been until then :p

GopalB., pa5t1s, superplus and 10 others like this.
  13. theshinybeast Marshmallow May 23, 2018

GopalB., pa5t1s, superplus and 12 others like this.
  14. script Nougat Moderator May 23, 2018

GopalB., pa5t1s, Sun90 and 10 others like this.
  15. meatandy Oreo May 23, 2018

GopalB., pa5t1s, superplus and 9 others like this.
  16. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert May 23, 2018

GopalB., Bouncer71, SJBoss and 5 others like this.
  17. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Dunnow, May 23, 2018 :
    I'm like 340 words over what they wanted but shhhh ;) no one noticed :p

GopalB., pa5t1s, superplus and 9 others like this.
  18. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Dunnow, May 23, 2018 :
    Another one too, not telling :p

GopalB., meatandy, Bouncer71 and 7 others like this.
  19. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, May 23, 2018 :
    Why did you have to add that sentence and torture people!! :p

GopalB., meatandy, Bouncer71 and 5 others like this.
  20. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert May 23, 2018

GopalB., meatandy, Bouncer71 and 5 others like this.
  21. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator May 23, 2018

GopalB., Wahoux, superplus and 8 others like this.
  22. Bobbie63 Marshmallow May 23, 2018

Bobbie63, May 23, 2018 :
    tenor (56).gif

The first day of the review we all have been waiting for! :)

Baymax, GopalB., superplus and 9 others like this.
  23. Bobbie63 Marshmallow May 23, 2018

Bobbie63, May 23, 2018 :
    I think it's a bag with 3,625,816 Peicoins (= €0.0587)

Then again my guessing generally sucks

GopalB., superplus, Punk_69 and 5 others like this.
  24. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert May 23, 2018

GopalB., Punk_69, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  25. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Dunnow, May 23, 2018 :
    the day @Dunnow got rich in like 20 years time?

GopalB., pa5t1s, Punk_69 and 7 others like this.
  26. Bobbie63 Marshmallow May 23, 2018

Bobbie63, May 23, 2018 :
    Well, maybe in 20 years you've doubled you money, hell for all we know you tripled it.

How's that for an investment. :D