[THE LAB] Dunnow's OnePlus 6 review

1. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 23, 2018

Bobbie63 , May 23, 2018 :
    O
    Just kidding looking forward to your next post.....

What about now?

GopalB., Shivang Joshi and G_plusone like this.
  2. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator May 23, 2018

pablofg1978 , May 23, 2018 :
    Nice! Is this some kind of spoiler?

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 23, 2018

Bobbie63 , May 23, 2018 :
    Who cares about spoilers?

4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 23, 2018

5. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , May 23, 2018 :
    Album link for all images (even more that are not posted)

[​IMG]

DAY 2. Design

Today's the turn about the overall design of the device, you've all seen it, pictures, review videos online, other LAB reviewers etc, it's no secret, but I'm still gonna describe a bit of what we all know, maybe things I noticed that you might have missed.

I will continue regarding the accessories that were included and will finalize with what I think has been nailed and what could be improved on future iterations.

So, let's dive into it.

Phone design.

[​IMG]
    Shape wise the phone has not been a surprise, following the same nice forms OnePlus acquired on the 5/5t series they refined on some areas that were needed, left the ones that were good from the get go.

The curvature on the back is comfortable and the sides are round enough to not feel like a brick in your hands, yet still keeps a nice edge so it's not as boring as an iPhone (which you guys should already know, I hate that form to my core)

The most noticeable change has been the notch.
    It is there, deal with it.

[​IMG]
    Displayed: A sexy picture huh?

I personally do not dislike it. As some of you might know already, I have told @Carl that OnePlus should really think if they wanted the notch for real. Some people criticized it from the start, others didn't mind it (like me) and others love it. And that it was something that could come and bite their ***.

Obviously, back when I met him, OnePlus 6 was set and done, we are talking a few months back only. It's not like they could've went back to the drawing board.

As said, I don't quite mind it. It has not been an issue so far. But I'll talk about it and it's options in more detail in the OxygenOS review day.

Following the notch we also salute to the position of the camera we loved so much since OPO era, centered on the device. Less chances to mess it up with your fingers while holding the phone in landscape mode.

[​IMG]

This time the camera still has some protuberance, but it's quite minor in comparison with recent years...

The fingerprint sensor is quite discrete and matches with the idea of rectangular shapes, just like the phone itself. It's quite flush with the body and I'm still not used to finding it on the back of the phone, lucky me, the cases help quite a lot. (More on that later)

Phone material

GLASS. Me likes.

I've always said that the most "premium" material for a device would be some kind of ceramic or glass (and you can actually find post of mine talking about it in this very forums), metal unibodies are boring and potentially ugly, glass gives a nice feeling to the touch, it can be shiny, it can be tinted, it can be played with different "backgrounds". I quite love the matte version of the OnePlus 6. If I had the choice I possibly would've went for that one, if not the white.

My OnePlus 6 came with the Mirror Black variant, which means, the phone is shinny all around. Not only the back of it, but even the edges of the device are. It's somehow hard to describe, it's super reflective yet really dark too. It just seems to depend on how the light hits it, and which kind of light it is.

[​IMG]

Accessories design.

OnePlus has always cared about their accessory lineup, this time it's the same, yesterday I already mentioned about the cases, but there's some things I would like to point out today, since it's the design focussed review, better to place it here than on yesterday's review.

[​IMG]

The cutout for the charger and the headphone jack match perfectly with the cable provided with the device. It's a perfect fit, these kind of detail can be missed by other bumper cases or third party accessories, but OnePlus has got you covered there.

It's not like it's a feat of engineering, but it's the right amount of attention to detail.

On thicker cases (like the Nylon one) you can see that OnePlus has even taken care of having a nice smooth pendant to the fingerprint, so it's not an abrupt end of the case and you have to practically place your finger vertically against it.

[​IMG]
    The array of variety on them

It's quite nice to know there's some official bumper cases with some nice materials, I'm quite sure sooner or later OnePlus will also release a sandstone one. It has to right?

Some of you might've wanted to see how other cases look on the phone, say no more, I think I've got the fan favorite in here for you guys, so, enjoy:

[​IMG]

Details to note

Things to note regarding the design are the positioning of the headphone jack, next to the USB-C port, so, cables won't get twisted ig you still use wired earphones.

The Do not Disturb switch has been moved to the right, that feels quite nice, since most people is mainly right handed, so, you can toggle the switch with your thumb.

What I personally dislike
    • The camera bump. Not because it's a bump but because I don't quite like the round shape of the top and bottom of it. The phone has no circular design anywhere, and yet that is there. I think a more rectangular approach would have looked nice/er and keep still the same lines.
    • Another thing, related to the bump, is that it seems it's also chrome / gold plated / whatever. I don't quite like the bump being highlighted by the design. For example, the white one, has the whole camera surrounded by gold. I would have avoided that completely.
    • The rounded corners of the screen, I just loved how edgy the screen on the OnePlus 5t was, and I would've liked that on the 6 too. I understand you need quite wide corners to fill the complete space of the phone, but I would've not minded something closer to the 5t.
    What was nailed
    • The notch itself. If you are gonna have a notch, make it small, and make it blend with the design. OnePlus notch does not end in 90º corners like the iPhone X does.
    • The material and its variants

Last edited: May 24, 2018

6. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator May 24, 2018

pablofg1978 , May 24, 2018 :
    Nice again, you talked about the notch, but nothing about the chin, did you avoided a purpose?

7. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    good point, I might add that in.

No I didn't avoid it, I just have accepted it's there, didn't even consider an issue from the start either.
    In fact, with gesture navigation I'm quite glad it's there. gives us some space to swipe up.

8. G_Sai_Raina_syku
    Jelly Bean May 24, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku , May 24, 2018 :
    Your thoughts about the rectangular fingerprint scanner as opposed to a circular one ?

9. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    I like it, it blends nicely with the design of the phone, I didn't have a circular one before, my prior phone was an OnePlus 2, so, it was already rectangular too.

With the cases it's easy to locate the position on the back, and being as sensitive and fast as it is I think that it does quite well, I believe it's less noticeable than the one on the 5t, but has a nice edge on it, so, you do notice it being there, it's just more subtle on the whole design itself

I also like the fact that it's just different from the bast majority of phones out there

GopalB., Shivang Joshi and pa5t1s like this.
  10. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

11. piccionel
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2018

piccionel , May 24, 2018 :
    @Dunnow Please include somewhere in your review the speaker's volume for notification, ringtone, etc-some complaints here already.
    Also, bluetooth connection with wireless bullets would be interesting (I suspect that's one of your secrets);)

pa5t1s likes this.
  12. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    Damn! there are so many reviews posted that I was missing yours! Too many reviews kill review... but gives OnePlus more material to post on social media!
    Good reviews so far, although the subjects are not the more 'sensible'...
    Good dawg! keep on ;)

13. rarog
    Lollipop Senior Moderator May 24, 2018

rarog , May 24, 2018 :
    I pretty much like what I've seen so far. And I like your pictures, no matter how dark it was, you did well. I liked especially the photo of the nylon case, which is nicely focused and is blurred at the borders. Which kind of lens did you use to take it?

And speaking of camera - I'm eagerly looking forward into your review, I had some hands-on experience with it last week in London but of course didn't have any time for a good test. And especially no possibility to take any pictures in daylight.

14. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    The connection and resume of media works in any BT earphones / headset :) I've been using an mpow ones that @dsmonteiro recommended me and it works amazingly.

All that was supposed to be reviewed on the OxygenOS day (Day 5) I will keep in mind you guys want me to go over this

GopalB. and Shivang Joshi like this.
  15. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    Well sensible days will basically be the camera and OS, maybe the conclusions too. I will try to go over those with enough detail, and make sure to clarify I'm willing to take requests from you guys to show or demo whatever you might have in mind.

Day 1 was not the best setup, dead DSLR, still did not have the Note 8 with me, so, had to use a random lamp at home and use the s6 edge and the OP2

That's with the Note 8, made sure to get as close as possible for it to fix focus. I had tons of natural light coming in from the corner too.
    ( 1.7 1/50 4.3mm and ISO 125 )

I've 3 or 4 shots side by side with a 5t already ( I don't know if I can manage to take more by day 4)
    And quite as many as I want with the note 8.

I'm not disappointed so far with the performance of the 6 in compaction to the 5t, quite glad the 19% more sensor allows for lower ISO

16. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    Great! waiting for your review on camera(s).
    I 'm already pleased with my 6: quite an improvement over my 3T.

NateDev, Shivang Joshi and G_plusone like this.
  17. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    So you've got one already huh? What do you need my review for? you can already see the results :p

Which model did you get?

18. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

G_plusone , May 24, 2018 :
    Already 15 LAB reviews to see though some haven't started plus individual reviews that pop up...
    You should do one too ;).

Btw still on MM on the 3T?

GopalB., Shivang Joshi and pa5t1s like this.
  19. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    Ofc I need your review : I want to have an expert's point of view (as I 'm not a pro in this field)
    I bought the Mirror 6/64 ;)

GopalB. and Shivang Joshi like this.
  20. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    No, no review from me! :)
    And yes, 3T still running MM ! !! If I have spare time (after setting up the 6),I 'll try to update the 3 or 3T to Nougat...But not a priority ;)

GopalB., Shivang Joshi and G_plusone like this.