[THE LAB] Dunnow's OnePlus 6 review

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , May 24, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 3. Speed

Overall feeling

So most of you guys already know I came to the OnePlus 6 from an OnePlus 2. And not only that, but I was also running custom roms on it, so, stability was never the strenght on that device...

Coming to the 6 I can really appreciate how much faster OnePlus devices have become from the OP2 era.

The device boots up in no time, gets through quite decent workloads with next to no hassle at all and gulps app installs as if nothing.

Lets get into some detail regarding some key points.

Fingerprint

This is just blazing fast, I do not know if this device is faster than the already amazingly fast 5t, but this thing unlocks with no time at all.

I'm impressed with the speed of the face unlock, but fingerprint beats that one as if nothing.

Other device's fingerprint unlock are quite fast but comparing with the Note8 I have requested to compare things with the 6, rest assured, the 6 speed impressed the Note 8's owner. And that's quite a feat, Note series are usually the better end of Samsung devices...

Face Unlock

As I mentioned, face unlock is fast, but lets see that in action shall we?

[​IMG]
    Notice I'm still rotating the phone but it's unlocked already!

I was quite amazed when I tested it on a friend's 5t but man, experiencing it every time I unlock the device is just amazing.

I hardly see the lockscreen at all, it works even with the phone tilted on weird angles, sometimes I just try to look at the notifications in there and BAM! inside.

Camera

This is an area I'm quite happy with (not talking about the quality of the camera per se right now) but the speed of it. Changind modes is responsive and quite reactive, not only that, the UI is well made so it's even fast for the user to switch modes.

You even have the option to long press the app icon and get quick actions in there too, for those who want to get into recording mode from the start.

Navigation response (app launch, scroll, navigation)

For those who do not know, OnePlus has implemented an "app launch detection" so the cores in the SoC go at full power for the time the app is loading, therefore, we get quite seamless transition from the drawer to an app. I'm quite proud to say I have every last message in Whatsapp for the past 5 years stored on every device I use. I do not archive chats, I do not delete stuff, I keep everything.

"What do I care?" you might say... Well, I do, because doing so has made Whatsapp launch, or entering a particular active chat quite a nightmare on some devices so far. I'm not talking waiting half a minute, but launching Whatsapp in less than 5 seconds was not a thing every other day already.

The device handles this (and any other) with smooth transitions and animations, fast, and without any kind of struggle.

Scrolling is super responsive and smooth and I have personally not seen any Jelly Effect as prior OnePlus devices had, maybe I would've never been able to see it, but so far, I've noticed nothing.

Regarding app navigation (home, recents, back...) I knew for a while that we would have gesture navigation, so, it was one of the first things I had set up for the phone. Swiping up from the left or right of the screen gets detected easily and responded with the same ease. We could dive more into that now, but I would rather save it for OxygenOS review day. I've always liked pie navigation implementations, this is the same, but without any UI on it. It works, you either like it or not, I'm used to it, was using similar approaches on my 2012 Nexus 4 already, so, I'm quite glad to be able to navigate like that.

Battery charge

This is another area I didn't had much experience prior to coming to the 6, my only device with a fast charging tech was the Samsung s6 edge, it's decently fast, but obviously OnePlus beats it by a mile.

Last time I did a quick charge this thing gave me 21% battery in the time I was getting ready to exit the office. I still had quite a bunch of battery, but man... I guess it wasn't even 10 minutes and it was already 21% up... I should've checked the times, but I was impressed.

Network speed

Here I did notice some nice improvements. I have a commute to work that requires train usage, with my past phones I lost cell data quite often, it took quite a long time for my prior devices to restore cell data.

It may be placebo effect but I seem to notice quite a better signal on this device, it reconnects fast and seems to hold the connection for longer when entering troublesome areas.

I guess it's not only the speed it's capable of handling, but also how the antennas and the body is designed.

Benchmarks

[​IMG]

I've never really been big into benchmarks, but will go ahead and post some results here, if you are interested on knowing more, maybe would be better to see other LAB reviewers, as I'm really not interested on this synthetic approaches to "power and speed".

Antutu Benchmark results:
    Here
    Here
    Here - Got 1st

3d Mark results:
    Here
    Here
    Here

Games

I'm not much into mobile games, i like minimalist games in Android, things like Lara Croft GO (which I recommend to every single one of you), Monument Valley or emulating PSX titles.

I think the results on the 3d Mark benchmark already shows quite a lof regarding the performance you can expect while gaming, but so far, all I've run has had quite a steady and sturdy result.

[​IMG]
    This never dropped lower than 59fps

Granted the games I have are not the most GPU / CPU intensive but still, they had some issues when throttling on other devices, particularly I see a HUGE step from the OnePlus 2.

varma246, Martin_VN, woSch and 26 others like this.
  2. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    Yes, I was impressed by the speed of the FPS too! nothing to compare with 3/3T! And almost zero errors or retries.
    I need to check Face Unlock, but will see what people are saying about Security first. .
    "Mirror, mirror on the wall .. "
    mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-mindy-sommers.jpg
    :D

Last edited: May 24, 2018

3. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

G_plusone , May 24, 2018 :
    Try using another smartphone with the same carrier and see if the Actual signal strength in dB matches.

It is also agreeable that the glass design and new antennas help for the 6 but better to confirm it since the Signal bars on OnePlus are not completely reliable

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

G_plusone , May 24, 2018 :
    What differences do you see in the 3T after the usage of almost a year and half?
    Do you charge often now?
    Considerable difference in battery life?
    Noticing frequent stutters or lags?

5. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 24, 2018

pa5t1s , May 24, 2018 :
    Well, I have the feeling that I have to charge it more often, with the very same usage : went from every 1.5 day to every 20hours or so.
    It's still OK, but it definitely went 'worse'.
    I'm doing a Wipe Cache every 3 weeks. Not sure it's the phone's fault tho...

superplus, Punk_69, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  6. script
    Nougat Moderator May 25, 2018

script , May 25, 2018 :
    Nice reads again, both design and speed. Not easy to find words about those matters. What more to write than „It looks good and is fast“...... :)

Waiting for camera. Hopefully also a video recording review, not only about taking pictures. And a sound test?

Dunnow, Punk_69, pa5t1s and 3 others like this.
  7. GopalB.
    Nougat May 25, 2018

GopalB. , May 25, 2018 :
    I can't believe I was so late for @Dunnow's reviews!!!
    Shame on me... :p
    Great read man... :D
    And tell us the secret already!!! :cry:

G_plusone, Punk_69, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  8. Joel B
    Honeycomb May 25, 2018

G_plusone likes this.
  9. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 25, 2018

Dunnow , May 25, 2018 :
    you stopped loving me :(

10. GopalB.
    Nougat May 25, 2018

11. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 25, 2018 :
    Crystal just told us we can take a couple extra days for the camera review, so I might take a bit more time see if I can get more 5t comparative shots. I did not have the chance to do videos side by side with the 5t, just the note 8

GopalB., rarog, script and 3 others like this.
  12. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 25, 2018

pa5t1s , May 25, 2018 :
    Damn! it's so hard to find this thread back:(
    @Crystal Z. why all [THE LAB 6] threads are not pinned in the OnePlus 6 section?

GopalB., malidan, Djordje D and 3 others like this.
  13. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator May 25, 2018

youbi , May 25, 2018 :
    They are just way too many, and with all pinned it would hard to find stuff. :sweatsmile: But you have the main Lab thread by @Crystal Z. pinned in the announcements section, that way you can find all the reviews to follow. :)

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-lab-oneplus-6-reviews-are-live.837202/

BTW, great pick, its been really great reading them. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2018

GopalB., Crystal Z., Punk_69 and 3 others like this.
  14. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer May 25, 2018

Alvie , May 25, 2018 :
    The screen was only refreshing upside down for the OnePlus 5, if you manage to see one in action now, you may throw up

Looks like they got it right this time, again! ;)

Looks like you missed out on it, unfortunately the OP2 FPS was pretty bad but the OP3 and onwards have been amazing!

Which do you use more, Face Unlock or Fingerprint?

15. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 25, 2018

GopalB., Shivang Joshi and youbi like this.
  16. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat May 25, 2018

iNtEnSePL , May 25, 2018 :
    I have the same

GopalB., pa5t1s and Shivang Joshi like this.
  17. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 25, 2018 :
    face unlock without a doubt so far. not because it's my choice tho, I enabled it the first day and it has been just a handful of times that it has not worked, and mainly because I was moving too much or too far from the light.

i do use the fingerprint for unlocking protected apps so, I still have use for it.

would love to get scrolling gestures on the fps

GopalB., Djordje D, Alvie and 2 others like this.
  18. Kattis
    Marshmallow May 25, 2018

Kattis , May 25, 2018 :
    love the phone... love the gifs ... ;);););) you are welcome.. good job Mr :):)

[​IMG]

19. Kattis
    Marshmallow May 25, 2018

Kattis , May 25, 2018 :
    its good when the phone is on a holder, now the finger print sensor is on the back. annoying that they could have made the sensor a home button also

GopalB., Punk_69 and Shivang Joshi like this.
  20. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 25, 2018 :
    Yeah, I wish they added more gestures to the fingerprint, right now, on the 6, does not even get the notifications down. only longpress for shoting a picture.

I would like scrolling, home and maybe even swiping away (back button)