1. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 26, 2018

pa5t1s , May 26, 2018 :
    None specific... What do you mean ?

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  2. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 26, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 26, 2018 :
    I haven't tried that. I always turn my Wi-Fi off when I turn on my mobile. Hold on, let me see for myself.

Shivang Joshi and pa5t1s like this.
  3. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2018

kaghedo , May 26, 2018 :
    Ah I see you have a wife now,Mystery solved guys :p

Shivang Joshi, script, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  4. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 26, 2018

5. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2018

Shivang Joshi, meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  6. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 26, 2018

Shivang Joshi, meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  7. meatandy
    Oreo May 26, 2018

Alvie, pa5t1s, Shivang Joshi and 2 others like this.
  8. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2018

kaghedo , May 26, 2018 :
    Happy days,Am still waiting for the white one in 10 days time. Hopefully am lucky enough to grab one,fingers and toes crossed :D

9. meatandy
    Oreo May 26, 2018

meatandy , May 26, 2018 :
    Thanks and good luck.

10. malidan
    Marshmallow May 26, 2018

malidan , May 26, 2018 :
    Agreed where has the Lab sticky had gone?:mad:

Alvie, meatandy, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  11. script
    Nougat Moderator May 26, 2018

script , May 26, 2018 :
    Please @Dunnow test one or two panorama shots, and some with zoom. Maybe also zoom+ video.

Looking forward to your cam rev:)

12. jmblazquezh
    Eclair May 27, 2018

jmblazquezh , May 27, 2018 :
    My OnePlus 6 arrives tomorrow to my home........
    I hope, the next time OnePlus delivers the next OnePlus device (6T or 7) can protect the back part of device with some type of protector film. Glass is very delicate.

Greetings from Spain.

G_plusone likes this.
  13. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert May 28, 2018

Baymax , May 28, 2018 :
    It has actually been quite durable tbh

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  14. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , May 28, 2018 :
    Camera Review

So, I'm splitting this part into 2, I will basically go over the camera features and put some demos, explain what I like what I don't like and on the next post I'll basically put some comparative shots between the OnePlus 6 vs Note8 and OnePlus 6 vs OnePlus 5t.

All of my shots are done in Auto HDR (or default settings in other devices) sice that's the most common scenario.

It is IMPORTANT that you look the samples and photos on a COMPUTER screen or TV. On the phone nothing from what I'll talk about will be able to show up or be appreciated. So, please, go to a proper screen.

As said in the performance review the camera app responds fast, has a clean and easy to use interface and there's close to no lag on shutter press to actual shot.

The camera has the following options on each setting

Photo
    Basic yet usual features on any camera, the options so far are: Auto HDR, No HDR, HDR.

Samples and opinions
    [ Album ] https://imgur.com/a/KsqU1l0

Good Lighting

[​IMG]
    Good detail on the stone. Trees have not been reduced to a smudge and exposure kept a nice amount of color and detail

[​IMG]
    Here you can see an 8x zoom of the top captured from the camera.

[​IMG]
    Again, a nice exposure, not a great loss of detail (notice the foliage of the trees)

[​IMG]
    This shot seems a bit dark but if you stop to notice, everything was exposed nicely, you have something that you can edit and bring up the dark areas without having an over exposed sky. I love this shot too.
    Be sure to check out the full album, I have some shots against the run and against the sun exposing for an object (street lights) that will show you a good amount of detail preserved for such situations.

Low Light

[​IMG]
    I'm actually quite impressed with the performance on low light. Details got well preserved and balance of color is quite nice.

[​IMG]
    The far end of this place is well inside a not so much lit area. Quite a nice result.​

Note: I'm writing this before actually comparing results with the Note 8 on a computer screen, my opinion at this point is 100% based on the result of the camera and some comparative shots I've done with the OnePlus 5t.

Overall I'm quite happy with the results of photos. OnePlus has taken care of the Oil Painting effect that was present on the 5t on every other shot.

Low light performance has quite surprised me, keeping a nice balance of noise, detail and detail. More of this will be made clear with the comparative of the 5t and the 6 during the next review post.

Portrait
    Allows for no effect or beauty mode, as well as different filter to highlight the lights on the background as circles, stars or hearts

Samples

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video
    Video resolutions are the following 720p, 1080p, 1080p 60fps, 4k, 4k 60fps. All modes are stabilized by EIS except the 60fps ones.

Note: This videos were recorded on top of an electric scooter, not walking on the street. Handheld unless otherwise specified.

[ 4k 30fps ]
    [ 4k 60fps ]
    [ 4k 60fps + Osmo ]
    [ 4k 60fps ]

This last video is recorded with the DJI Osmo Mobile too, but I panned around a bit and put the camera against the sun and trees to get a good example on how the detail will be preserved.
    [ 4k 60fps + Osmo ]

Overall video quality seems to be quite good, it captured enough detail and the camera provides a decent dynamic range.

Both OIS and EIS perform quite well. OIS allows for a decent stabilization and EIS seems to be the one with best results, as you can stabilize as much as you want via SW. This should particularly be noticeable while walking or running with the phone being handheld.

4k 60fps is quite dark and unless there's enough light you won't be able to get decent results. Not noticeable in videos above but if I tried to record inside a room with only that light, it would be quite dark. To be expected from a 60fps video at 4k though.

Sadly, the camera also has quite an issue with video recording and hunting focus, it's something OnePlus already knows about and is said to solve in a future update. It appears from time to time and not on each single video, when ti does, it's quite annoying.

Here's an example of it.
    [ Focusing hunting demo ] https://youtu.be/6Xrk6R1y-hQ

Slow motion
    Slow motion gives us 2 options, either 720p at 480fps or 1080p at 240fps.

Samples and opinions
    [ 1080p 480fps Sample 1 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3OqnwYf30
    1080p 240fps OIS - Open in maximum quality

I feel this lacks definition, video might be 1080p but it looks blurry. Granted, there was low light and the flash had to be enabled. But a 1080p photo would've been 10x better than any frame of this video.

[ 1080p 240fps Sample 2 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYbz-zu3X0

As you can see in this one, the quality is pretty bad actually, video is way too pixelated and makes me wonder why is there so low quality considering the light for recording was perfect.

[ 1080p 240fps Sample 3 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1pRXwp-V8

This sample might be the one with the most detail but still you can notice a lot of pixelation and lack of definition.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 1 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ3PQ3B9xc
    720p 480fps OIS - Open in maximum quality

480fps can deffinetly show quite the fast movement, it can be mesmerizing to watch stuff go in slow motion, I'm really sad quality is still so low.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 2 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmOUnePyr1Y

Action starts at about 1minute and 20 seconds in.
    You can see a strobbing effect due to the lights, it's not the camera itself. Sadly, somehow, the video also got stuck a few times.​

[ 720p 480fps Sample 3 ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOyBUWGVe4

This one might the best recorded at 720p, you can see the blade moving inside the shielding of the razer.​

Sadly, I'm quite disappointed with the slow motion so far. It just fails to get any kind of detail and pixelates way too much for my taste.

It is nice having slow motion feature but the result is pretty bad once you see it on a computer screen with the real size of the video.

Time Lapse
    Allows for recording at 720p and 1080p

Note: My samples are done with DJI Camera so, I've got timelapses in 4k and with movement. So your results will be quite different, since the camera does not move by itself :p

Focus was fixed on all videos to not generate a result with "all over the place" results

You still get an idea of the camera capabilities

[ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqx3kPAmC-4
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0p99Pt_bhc
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wg3wgF1ejQ
    [ 4k + Osmo ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5b13_PQEuI

Panorama
    This mode basically shows a preview of your currently captured panorama as you produce it.

No demos for you guys yet :(

So, in resume:

The pros
    • Fast and responsive
    • Nice low light performance
    • No Oil Painting effect so far
    • Balanced exposure. Does not always expose what you might want, but can be corrected by either tapping it or post-processing the image

The cons
    • Slow motion doesn't really look that good
    • Video has focus hunting issues (to be solved on next updates as per OnePlus note)
    • Balanced exposure. Does not always expose what you might want, but can be corrected by either tapping it or post-processing the image
    • Does not save RAW on automatic modes
    • Auto mode does not provide a level as in manual mode

Last edited: May 28, 2018

varma246, AcmE85, Martin_VN and 24 others like this.
  15. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator May 28, 2018

pablofg1978 , May 28, 2018 :
    Correct the typo in time lapse to 720p
    Nice review, I'll see the pictures in my computer when I get home

pa5t1s, script, Dunnow and 2 others like this.
  16. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator May 28, 2018

youbi , May 28, 2018 :
    The review stills continues to be a joy to read. And now we even deserved some great pics. :p Loved the one in the middle of the street and the dark scene letters one.

Waiting to see the next part. :)

pa5t1s, script, tobias14 and 3 others like this.
  17. script
    Nougat Moderator May 28, 2018

script , May 28, 2018 :
    Thx dunnow. I got a clear inside view of the camera capabilities. Very good read, very informative, and entertaining.

The camera seems to be a big step forward, even at this early stage. I can't wait to test and use it myself. Soon.

pa5t1s, Shivang Joshi and Dunnow like this.
  18. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

Dunnow , May 28, 2018 :
    I was actually surprised to not see oil painting, if they fix the video focus hunting and somehow slowmo gets better that would be killer.

having a couple shots comparing with the 5t, it's quite an improvement, particularly on how well it handles light and fine detail

pa5t1s, malidan, youbi and 4 others like this.
  19. script
    Nougat Moderator May 28, 2018

script , May 28, 2018 :
    If you find time, maybe you could test also other apps like camera fv-5. Not sure tho if that makes sense so early, before those developers can optimize their apps for the 6.

Gn8 for now....

20. malidan
    Marshmallow May 29, 2018

malidan , May 29, 2018 :
    Nice work with the camera, it's given a very comprehensive look at what's happening on the video side.
    OP have got their work cut out for them yet again.

pa5t1s, Dunnow and Shivang Joshi like this.