[THE LAB] Dunnow's OnePlus 6 review

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 29, 2018

Dunnow , May 29, 2018 :
    Ooops, did not see that before. Panoramas with zoom you mean? Or just normal shots? I'll do that at some point and tag you if I remember, too bad I didn't notice this while I was in BCN, could've used some nice sights.

I have panoramas made with the osmo, but the osmo preconfigures shots instead of scrolling and stitching, so, I guess that does not serve you really. Will do tomorrow if my memory allows me.

2. Dunnow

Dunnow , May 29, 2018 :
    Indeed, you can also see the focus hunting on this one

(which I did not point out really on the text as I had even a more exaggerated demo for that) but still, it's something that happens sometimes, as others seem sharp and fine, an easy fix would be to focus on infinity and set a fixed focus and exposure there. Problem is, fixed focus I would not mind, meh, but fixing the exposure would **** up when transitioning from dark to light and vice-versa, sadly, with the camera you basically do both or neither.

They did say they would fix it, will see to what degree.

I was quite sad too to see there's no object tracking, it detects faces, but that's all. I would like for it to be able to tap somewhere and keep focus there as I move (DJI camera app does that, but you cannot turn it on without the osmo itself)

3. malidan
    Marshmallow May 29, 2018

malidan , May 29, 2018 :
    Yep i did notice at 4K 30fps while stabilisation was very good, as you was walked it didn't focus on much.:confused:

pa5t1s and Shivang Joshi like this.
  4. Dunnow

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , May 29, 2018 :
    So, as mentioned earlier, here's the Part 2 of the Camera review.

Basically, getting together comparative shots and my opinions on them.
    As always, full size images in the following album: https://imgur.com/a/1cLAqgU

I highly recommend you guys open the original images, these are 100% crops from non particularly a focussed area (not all of them are cut from the center of the picture)

Let's start then.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 against the OnePlus 6

[​IMG]
    So, in this one you can clearly appreciate that tones were quite better on the OnePlus 6.
    The amount of detail was well preserved in both shots, and OnePlus gets the edge by definition and color.

[​IMG]
    Is there anything to say in this one?
    Definition, color, amount of detail kept. OnePlus 6 takes the win clearly here.

[​IMG]
    Now, this one gets interesting, exposure seems better in the OnePlus 6, but on the Note 8 side we have quite a nice highlight of the detail (stone wall), it's there on the OP6 shot too, but the tones of the colors make it less visible (all detail IS there though).
    So, in short, color and definition? The OnePlus 6 wins.
    To showcase what you were actually shooting? Maybe the Note 8 would be a better choice to upload to Instagram or Facebook.

[​IMG]
    Now, this is another clear winner for the OnePlus 6. Colors were a bit better well preserved, it was not particularly lit, and definition takes the win for a place with such a fine detail. Also, Note 8 did blow the sky (look at the originals) while OnePlus 6 managed to keep the sky well balanced together with the building itself. A clear well calculated range.

[​IMG]
    To me this is a clear win for the Note 8. Even when the sky was blown up (again, look the originals), without any kind of editing tool you see more detail on the bricks. The image was just better exposed to showcase the element itself, instead of a solid overall picture.
    Note again, that all detail seems to be there for the OnePlus 6, which is not a bad thing at all, it's just not, by default, brought up. I have no doubt that with a bit of edit, the OnePlus 6 would be better, but again, I'm a #noedit person.

[​IMG]
    This has no match again, somehow, even when OnePlus has a really good low light performance, this chapel showed that bigger sensor doesn't mean just better by default.
    Note 8 keeps more detail with less megapixels and maybe, due to sharpening, it takes the clear win. Exposure was clearly better to.

OnePlus 5t against OnePlus 6

Again, here you have the album with full images: https://imgur.com/a/pdXg9gd

[​IMG]
    Well... just the oil painting effect on the 5t speaks by itself right?
    Anyway, OnePlus 6, clear winner, kept resolution way better. Fine detail preserved too.

[​IMG]
    Low light. It's not so different you might say, right?
    Well, definition on every single line (from the ceiling to the light square cut outs) is way better. Particularly on the speaker.
    Also, a good thing to notice here... Left image is ISO 3200, right image is ISO 1000. that should say it all. Not to mention the led lighting was not blown up or caused any aberration on the OnePlus 6.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 (ISO 320) takes another clear win against the OnePlus 5t (ISO 640)
    Lights are way more defined on the OnePlus 6. Color is more natural and less saturated, detail on the ceiling is much better and could you just please look at that clock detail?! AMEN!

Conclusion regarding camera...

THIS is what you win with the OnePlus 6. If you thought the photos in the 5t were good, with the 6 you will think they are great.

I don't wanna enter on how a Samsung s9 could beat it or not, I have not even had the joy to play with an s9, or a Google Pixel. Of course some of those phones will take better snaps, but my main issue with OnePlus camera so far, it was not the color reproduction, it was not the features or the megapixels. It was the oil painting effect.
    So far. I'm quite pleased regarding photography quality, regardless if this is branded OnePlus or Google Pixel. I'm taking snaps out there I'm proud of.

Of course, video, and slow motion, is another world. Something OnePlus has to improve on certain areas, but I would say it's a solid option regarding photography. Maybe there's better out there at the same price range, I'm not MKBHD, did not test them all, still, for what is worth, I'm happy so far with it. I've always been a fan of megapixels, and others, having 12 or 13 out there, is something to take into account. You will at least, almost certainly, get more detail always.

5. script
    Nougat Moderator May 31, 2018

pa5t1s, pablofg1978, Alvie and 3 others like this.
  6. ArmataReloaded
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2018

ArmataReloaded , May 31, 2018 :
    Was very pleasant to read and contained a good inside of the video/picture capabilities. Thank you for your effort.

pa5t1s, otto2, Dunnow and 1 other person like this.
  7. izzykasha
    Lollipop May 31, 2018

pa5t1s, otto2, Dunnow and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 1, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , Jun 1, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Oxygen OS

Most of us already know what Oxygen OS is, but for those who might from here from external sources, this is the name given to the Android implementation made by OnePlus.

It is quite light and simple, it allows basic stuff that we all did before with apps. Such as allowing a theme pack or adding small details from custom roms we all loved before.

Main features

Theme Accent colors

One of the good things about the OS is the fact that you are now given the chance to change the color of iconography and titles within other details in the Android UI. As you can see in the banner picture above, I'm all about orange on white.

Fullscreen apps

Since the OnePlus 6 has a nice little notch in there, OnePlus gives the option to make app fullscreen, for those of you who want to use the full potential of the big display. Some apps don't work that nice with it, so, watch out.

An example of this would be Whatsapp, when sending an image, if you draw stuff on top, the notch hides the "undo" button, so, be mindful on what you allow to be fullscreen and what not.

To give a positive example, VLC player set on fullscreen fit perfectly and allows for an amazing viewing experience.

Gaming Mode

This small little toggle, you can turn on from the notification tiles or automatically when launching a pre-white listed app list. Makes your notifications not be annoying while in gaming (or any other app you have set up). It can make your screen have a fix brightness and disables some background networking tasks that could lower your performance.

Reading Mode

Just as Gaming Mode you can do this for the app to set up a black and white scheme, that will make easier to read certain things. I've seen it applied to twitter, where you do not really need flashy colors and stuff, or definitely to whatever ebook reader of your choice. Chrome could be another decent option to add to the list.

Night Mode

This one toogle can be set to automatic, on or off. It basically changes your screen color temperature to ease the strain in your eyes. Quite nice to have such thing. I was a big fan of this in custom roms and I'm glad to have the option there in stock Oxygen OS.

Gestures

Who doesn't like gestures?

Screen gestures allow for quick actions such as accessing the camera or turning on the led or even controlling the music playback.

Oxygen OS also allows for navigation gestures, where you get to get rid of the navigation toolbar on the bottom of the screen, gaining even more screen real state for you to WOAH over the big 6.3" panel in front of you.

Bloat Apps?

Oxygen OS is quite lightweight, but OnePlus does add some applications in there by default, Notes app, Gallery and the community app among them. You can either cry about them or not, it's not so much of a bother as other OS fill your entire app drawer with their own implementation of everything. For those who are Google for lyf like me, that is annoying, while this is acceptable.

Screen Calibration

Another neat feature from the OS is the fact that you can chose among 3 default screen color calibrations plus customize your own. This is something many other brands are adding on their devices and something that should please anyone who finds their screen to be way too blue-ish or whatever other tone inclined their panel decides to be.

New Alert Slider

Finally, with OnePlus 6 we get the 3 modes we all wanted from so long ago. Pure silence, only vibration or normal sound. No more DND statuses, but true glory. DnD is not implemented as an automatic feature, even though you can set it up manually, OnePlus has confirm to be bringing automated DnD for future updates onwards.

Launcher

The launcher is quite simple, it follows Google's approach, swipe up and get apps, swpe from the left and go to the shelf (instead of the assistant) and long press for options, but there's a small detail, which is that it supports themes by default. So, icon packs galore.​

Things that are nice

• Most of the modes listed above

• Notification light can be customized and apps can be excluded from it

• Auto play music (if it was playing before) when a BT headset is connected (this works even without the wireless bullets)

Things that are lacking

Note: Some of this are personal opinion and does not really imply an issue

• Lack of USB video output options. This is something some of us have complained quite a lot lately in the forums, I've had discussions about this with @David Y. and it's something that is down to the software team to consider if even possible. I wish it was implemented.

• Automatically pop up if you want to transfer over MTP when connected to a computer. I mean... who would connect the phone to a computer not to move data around?

Things that fail / would change

Note: Some of this are personal opinion and does not really imply an issue

• Screen gestures seem to have some trouble when pocket mode is enabled, where the phone does not really know if it's in the pocket or not, double tap to wake does not always work with only 2 taps, but some more.

• Iconography on the settings apps is not really centered horizontally, that bothers me quite a lot, it's like that on AOSP too but I would love for OnePlus to fix that. Just look at the header image again. You can clearly see the icons are more to the left than they should be for a pleasing list.

• Navigation gestures sometimes seem to detect keyboard presses or movements like a gesture, so, I'm constantly going back to the home screen or hiding the keyboard as it detects it as a "back" press. I wish OnePlus takes care of that too.

• Sound seems inconsistent, as many report some things are quite low, others sound properly, but it's something I did not really notice much since I'm mostly in vibrate all day anyway.

• The notch takes away space for some icons, both in the status bar as well as the notification portion of it, but I've mostly had issues with the icons, you can clearly fit 2 or 3 more icons than the amount allowed by OnePlus right now.

• Audio Tuner... Now this is a let down. I'm currently using BT earphones, coming from LineageOS on my OP2 I had an equalizer that allowed me to use some presets, even though OnePlus offers an audio tuner, it only can be activated if using wired headsets... This needs to be addressed asap.

Please, let me know if you want some more information or detail on certain things, I'm quite happy with the current state of the OS, as it allows for most of the features I would have ended up using a third party application to accomplish.

Edit: I realize I have not talked about battery, I'll edit this soon with some screenshots and overall usage.

But in short, for those interested, I'm pushing averages of 1 full day with about 4h of Screen on Time per charge

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

varma246, Martin_VN, Wahoux and 11 others like this.
  9. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 1, 2018

pa5t1s , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Great review buddy, interesting read... and view ;)

otto2, malidan, Dunnow and 1 other person like this.
  10. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 1, 2018

pa5t1s , Jun 1, 2018 :
    My vote of +1
    Agreed on the space left for icons in the status bar : not a big annoyance tho.
    The 'slider' should be 'programmable' or at least 'customisable' ... Once upon a time, there was a nice little gadget, called the 'MiKey', that allowed what the 'slider' doesn't so far .. Just an idea tho ..

Dunnow, otto2, malidan and 1 other person like this.
  11. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 1, 2018

pa5t1s , Jun 1, 2018 :
    So, TouchWiz is no longer the King : @sfomin will be sad.:D
    Great (2nd part of the) review ! Well documented.

Alvie, otto2, script and 2 others like this.
  12. malidan
    Marshmallow Jun 1, 2018

malidan , Jun 1, 2018 :
    It's funny you said this because I had some dudes trying to tell me nobody does this anymore and that Joe Bloggs uses FTP , set up servers, Plex and all kind of technical stuff when they can just plug in a usb cable.:confused:
    The ignorance level is high amongst OP owners

Mind you they only said it because the OP does not have USB 3.0, so they had to find an excuse.

Excellent concise work again

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018

Alvie, Rick Manders, pa5t1s and 3 others like this.
  13. G_Sai_Raina_syku
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku , Jun 1, 2018 :
    1)How is the haptic feedback ?
    2)How is the speaker quality and does it get loud enough ?
    3)Is the output through the headphone jack any better than the previous OnePlus devices ?
    Lastly do you think that the current state of gestures is good enough to use it instead of the onscreen buttons.

Apart from the questions I would like to tell you I really liked you review and the camera review was just awesome .

pa5t1s, script, malidan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I use plex and I won't use it ever to move my data from the phone to the computer or similar, how stupid is that? shipping everything over lan? way to burn battery needlessly...

Having a phone that can do 4k at 60fps, trust me, the best thing there's is a mountable storage...

I had literally wasted 60 gigs or so by just doing the review via recording demos and photos and all... cmon... I'm not gonna send 60 gigs over wlan to the computer... that would take hours!

15. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I have not used haptic feedback on any device since the Nexus 4 (2012), so, I do not have a reference point, I could tell you, the vibration is nice enough, but any kind of vibration except notifications bothers me, but, well, I had worse. The OS allows for 3 different levels of notification / call values.

Any other feedback might be when double tapping the screen or stuff like that, it does a small vibration, maybe too long for my taste but the intensity is nice enough.

The speaked does get loud (just tested now, as I didn't even played music through it) but the quality is nothing from the other world. I've always preferred listening everything through earphones, so, you have to go and read some other review regarding that, there were a couple audioheads on the group of reviewers, they might be way more useful to you regarding that.

I would say it's worth buying BT earphones, since the OS now supports play and pause when connecting or disconnecting them.

@dsmonteiro recommended an MPOW Judge set, it's 21€ in Amazon, decent enough (they do not have air flow on them tho, so, careful with your ears there) . Or just get the wireless bullets from OnePlus, they have some nice tricks on them, fast charge is nice. Though it's not the best form factor for my teste.

Regarding what? I've only used the wired OnePlus Bullets once before, audio was decent enough, I don't have anything in local, everything is streamed so, it's not like my music gets some high bitrate either or weird codecs.

I use the gestures, I like them. But as I mentioned, they **** up while I type, maybe it's how I type, but they do fail, not that the gesture fails, but the phone detects a "go home" or "go back" from time to time when I go for the space or something. Maybe they should do like the iPhone and push the keyboard a bit up too... Still, does not annoy me so much to deactivate it, most times is just tapping again on the app or on the chat-box so, the phone is fast enough for me not to be more than: "ugh, shit"

16. script
    Nougat Moderator Jun 1, 2018

script , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Very good again, thx. Nice and informative. Well, that's perfect.

Alvie, pa5t1s, Shivang Joshi and 2 others like this.
  17. otto2
    Lollipop Jun 2, 2018

otto2 , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Great Review, nice to read, owning an Oneplus 6 I agree with you.

pa5t1s, Shivang Joshi and Dunnow like this.
  18. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 2, 2018

pa5t1s , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Nothing beats wired and direct link to a device, indeed. FTP, AirDroid and the likes are fine, but still, USB is far better, even 2.0 ;)

malidan and Shivang Joshi like this.
  19. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 2, 2018

Dunnow , Jun 2, 2018 :
    I don't mind that much about the speeds of USB 2.0 but man, the other features of 3.1 and Type-C I do miss... what better opportunity to implement power delivery on the 6 than now? They have the wireless bullets, you could charge them from the phone in no time!

What a missed chance... wait for it... the 6t will have it all and I will be grumpy again... xD

Someone wants a LAB special edition OP6? 145.234.234.896,74€ only, what a deal!

malidan, pa5t1s and Shivang Joshi like this.
  20. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 2, 2018

pa5t1s , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Yep, USB 3.1 next time, who knows ? :rolleyes::D

malidan likes this.