[THE LAB] Dunnow's OnePlus 6 review

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 2, 2018

Dunnow , Jun 2, 2018 :
    I wouldn't bet on it, maybe too much of a change on the OS and certifications...

I would count with the following tho.

• Less chin (or not at all)
    • Wide angle lens or zoom lens
    • More battery capacity
    Will see what they do, I was planning on waiting for the 6t before knowing I was part of The LAB. A nice time frame to see what OP6 offered and what issues it could have, enough time for they to fix most of those too and then just go for the "better" end of the line.

I don't think I could've waited much longer with the 2.

All that assuming I decided to go for OP of course. I would always try to get what's best on the money / brand. Gotta admit though, OnePlus has gotten to way better levels, now if they focused really well on the small things, that would be awesome. (tho, the auto play/pause on any BT device, that is one of those small details that they got right)

Example: this we were talking, providing the latest standards and implementing everything possible on them.

Direct OTG, Direct video output, Power Delivery...

Or giving full control of the camera on manual (both sensors and even stabilization)

pa5t1s likes this.
  2. G_Sai_Raina_syku
    Jelly Bean Jun 2, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku , Jun 2, 2018 :
    Well I hope they go with a wide angle lens imo it is better than a telephoto and portrait can be done with software that would amazing.
    Maybe in display fingerprint scanner also comes(nothing wrong with the one on the back so this isnt what I will be seriously excited for but definitely it would be cool )
    And lastly wireless charging is something they can implement with OnePlus 6T.

Dunnow likes this.
  3. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 2, 2018

Dunnow , Jun 2, 2018 :
    I would like under screen fps too and wireless I have always been a fan of.

will see, I would not mind telephoto as zoomed things would be better overall, but still, a wide angle might be better, as you can always zoom but you cannot get more of a shot with normal or zoom lenses.

pa5t1s and Alvie like this.
  4. aris
    Jelly Bean Jun 3, 2018

pa5t1s and Dunnow like this.
  5. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Stickied Post
    Dunnow , Jun 4, 2018 :
    Conclusions

So, here's the end of the reviews I think... I might come back, edit stuff, and surely add more information (battery and panoramas possibly)...

I gotta admit the device is no less than expected, except regarding some of the items I went through already on other parts of the review.

Some people are criticizing the battery life and Screen On Time, but coming from the OP2, to me, the device is quite good and consistent. There's a few things that could've been done better, but most of them are based on Software and could be tackled in the future.

As an example I could point out, Instagram Stories look cut from the sides, as the app fills the screen based on the vertical space, and being a taller display, means cutting out a small portion of the sides.

Same happens with some games, like, Lara Croft Go, you don't lose a huge part of the screen, but enough for me to almost miss some of the relics places just in the edge.

I am mostly satisfied with the product, and I would possibly recommend it even. The few issues I might have with it are minor details and most of them are based on personal opinion and not something broken or not. So, it's not like my word is right by default on those (as much as I would like to have the word of a God)

Features, "bloat" and performance are well balanced, as of now, and I'm sure things can only go to better. OnePlus has been delivering quite often and quite good in these lasts months, and it's something that can be noticed. There's still road ahead for them but I don't feel like I'm holding an unfinished product.

I hope the lacking parts in the OS can be amended with time, and with SW updates, and not just on future devices, but back-ported to as many iterations behind as possible...
    Things like Video Output via USB support or Always On Display, which seems it was taken away due to massive battery drain.

So, as a product, not considering the price, would I recommend it? Yes, depends on the person and the needs to cover, but anyone that wants a powerhouse can be sure this device will deliver.
    Some other people would just get about "the same" with a device half the price of the OP6. But they would possibly not get the latest SoC or the greatest GPU performance.

As a purchase though, you gotta know where you are stepping into. OnePlus renews their lineup every 6 months (at least for the last couple of years), so, I do think the device is a bit expensive, yet again, every device seems to be now... I would not regret buying it (If I had done so), but I would really expect OnePlus to continue with a great support for the price paid.

Video needs to be fixed, both in focus hunting and in slow motion overall quality.
    Audio has its perks too.

Most of them are superficial issues that should be able to be fixed soon, and only OnePlus can show their commitment to your purchase regarding those.

If you want a clean OS, a fast device, a decent support it is possibly a decent to great purchase for you.
    If you do not care about most of this stuff, why would you buy something as expensive?

What I'm trying to say here is: this device will work for the masses, for those who just want a fast horse, for those who expect updates or those who just want a new form factor at a decent price. It is a balanced and safe purchase, not a 1000€ device, not an average 200€ one.

But there's others there, and in some areas, those might be better. It's a decision one has to take by himself.

I can only say, I would possibly not regret buying it, assuming support is constant and bugs are constantly addressed.

So, for those that know me, this device, and it's future development will be the one factor I'll consider when I want to upgrade again, so, if I ever want an OP8, whenever that is, I will go back to the experience from here onward, and so far, I'm happy with it.
    OnePlus has shown a more mature procedure and approach to things since my bad experience with the OnePlus 2, and that is the most important thing I see on the company. Things are no longer not taken into account, things are thought and done well, or not at all. No half assed work gets delivered.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

varma246, malidan, pa5t1s and 8 others like this.
  6. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Alvie , Jun 4, 2018 :
    Well, I guess it works for them. Sure does make them a lot of $$$

Dunnow likes this.
  7. L1527614571308
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

L1527614571308 , Jun 7, 2018 :
    hi mr Dunnow,
    I want to draw your attention to the part of your review where you talked about scrolling and jelly effect.
    my screen has jittering and shalky effect during scrolling. even the OnePlus 6 phones in the store has the same problem.
    so I would ask you reconsider your statement and have a look at your device closely again while scrolling webpages.

please see my videos on YouTube for your reference.i have forwarded the link also to the forum moderator and bug hunter who contacted me and hence these videos are no way of promoting myself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcWtG0e-GL2Sc9pR9owM5ag

8. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 7, 2018

Dunnow , Jun 7, 2018 :
    I completely disagree. op6 has no jitter. and webpages not scrolling properly might very well be due to the webview engine on chrome or whatever browser you are using. (or just a bloated website, being a frontend developer I know about this stuff, trust me.)

I have thousands of messages in chats in WhatsApp and I can scroll fine through them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

youbi likes this.
  9. L1527614571308
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

have you seen the videos before commenting

10. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jun 7, 2018 :
    No, nor I will do it.

I just told you there's no issue while scrolling for me. Nor for any other of the lab reviewers from which I talk every day. You have either a bad device or you are just trying to do something weird on some weird page that cannot render properly on the browser.

11. L1527614571308
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

this is on Chrome and not any other browser.
    maybe you are not from India.
    I have tested 4 phones from India and 2 inside the OnePlus store with store person in front of me watching the proceedings along with a 10 year old boy.
    so you don't need to watch the video. and considering your phone as your free gift from OnePlus , i doubt you will have the guts to go against their wishes.
    people like you give false reviews and statements just like the tech youtubers out there and say the device is the best.
    when a kid can identify a screen is jumping and going up,you come and tell me that all.thia is false and fabricated. that would make you look like a cool and stupid in my books
    and no conversing and arguing with stupid biased people.

and when you have not seen other devices , don't comment on what is right and wrong.
    I lay down an open challenge to you and your OnePlus team or who so ever is there.
    come out in the open and I will use your device and show you what and where the jittering is taking place.

12. inffy
    Nordics POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 7, 2018

inffy , Jun 7, 2018 :
    You can come to Finland and test our device any day.

You have to pay for flights and hotels yourself though

pablofg1978, pa5t1s and Dunnow like this.
  13. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jun 7, 2018 :
    So you are identifying the issue already coming from an app, external from OnePlus.

No I am not, nor I understand what would be the issue or not if I was.

I carry 3 phones with me right now. Plus many more I have at home, still I don't see the point of your comment.

I don't understand the 10 year old boy issue or why it matters.

I have openly talked against OnePlus more than any other lab reviwer. You just have to go to my history of messages and read.

If anyone has been critic with this company has been me. Just as I have not cut myself to say their video focus is lacking and their slow motion is quite bad.

I have done the absolute oposite of this. I have stated that I find the device expensive and that there's others out there than can do better on many regards, I just said it's a good product overall and that it has space to grow into a better one.

The same kid knows it happens on Chrome only and that Chrome is not maintained or coded by OnePlus?

I have seen more devices than you dude. Trust me on that too.

I'm not moving anywhere to prove you wrong, but I can quite easily enable the GPU profiler, and show you how the device is almost constantly at 60fps if needed. I would just ask of you to stop spamming me while I'm at work. I can go to any app and show you how it is just smooth.

Regardless, you need to understand that you yourself identified the problem, it happens on chrome, you said, not any other app or browser, therefore, it is THAT app's fault, that it not doing proper rendering or optimizing the view.

Being from chrome, it is possibly the webview engine from Google.

pa5t1s and SoniaB like this.
  14. L1527614571308
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

what's bothering you so much.
    are you his brother or pal.
    good for you,the device in Europe are working well.
    maybe they have shipped buggy devices in India because here you can get away with anything

15. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 7, 2018

youbi , Jun 7, 2018 :
    So did you just read this review? Not sure if you noticed but @Dunnow did pointed out the flaws he found, if he had seen the issue you saw what would stop him from pointing them out also? :confused:

Yep, that makes perfectly sense, anyone that doesn't agree with you must be biased and stupid. :rolleyes:

The truth is that your videos don't really show that much, and are a bit far for the normal use anyone would do from the phone. Like @Dunnow pointed out, if you do strange things with your phone you tend to find weird things. :p ;)

pa5t1s and Dunnow like this.
  16. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Jun 7, 2018

SoniaB , Jun 7, 2018 :
    Now hold on here. I take exception to what you have said:
    "considering your phone as your free gift from OnePlus , i doubt you will have the guts to go against their wishes.
    people like you give false reviews and statements just like the tech youtubers out there and say the device is the best."

First of all, did you even read @Dunnow's full review? Its about as honest a hands on review you can get. Where he felt praise and recognition was needed, he gave it. Where he thought the OP6 lacked, he was clear and concise on it.

Yes, ALL Lab reviewers get to keep the review devices provided they fully contribute to the LAB Review. They have all worked hard on writing those reviews. They IMO deserve to keep the device. Dunnow clearly states in his start post even that all OnePlus have asked him to do is be honest.

Now I watched your videos as you sent them in PM to me. I only see a little bit of jittering in video 2.
    However, its a screen cast video rather than a video of you actually scrolling on the device.
    It seems to me that its how you are scrolling rather than the screen itself jittering. From what I could tell, it looks like you swipe up to scroll and stop almost immediately. There is no fluidity on your part.
    Its more to do with how you scroll than there being an actual issue.

I have just received the OP6 and my device does not have the jittering that you keep complaining about.

Either way, as I said to you in PM, David Y. replied to your thread and referred your case to Shine L. to look into and discuss with you.

However, kindly stop defaming fellow forum users. Your allegations are without merit.

17. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jun 7, 2018

Cheetosdust , Jun 7, 2018 :
    Exactly what I expected from you - a well thought and honest conclusion.

I loved your review and it's great you were able to write what you real feel. So, congratulations to you, for putting all the work into the review and I'm so glad you didn't cave under any pressure to write only positive things. And kudos to OnePlus, selecting you knowing you were going to do exactly that.

I hope you continue to write about the evolution of the product, how it'll mature. Maybe write something before the 6T is released. I know you won't sugar coat it, so I'll definitely be there to read it.

For now, congratulations once again on the great review and thank you for putting all this work into it.

pa5t1s, superplus, Dunnow and 2 others like this.
  18. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow Jun 7, 2018

pa5t1s and Cheetosdust like this.
  19. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jun 7, 2018 :
    It's the wireless bullets :p

I still have to start my review on them, work and life caught up to me, I gotta have it done by the 10nth, I guess I'll start later today / night.

pa5t1s, BeingIncog and Cheetosdust like this.
  20. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow Jun 7, 2018

BeingIncog , Jun 7, 2018 :
    all the best!!!!!!!!

pa5t1s, Dunnow and Cheetosdust like this.